Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Point-N-Shoot 35mm Cameras

Old 01-29-2019   #81
B-9
Devin Bro

Huss, you need the L35TW AD next!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 01-29-2019   #82
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Huss, you need the L35TW AD next!
uh oh!

😉

Old 01-29-2019   #83
newjerseysurf

i nabbed this for $30 off ebay. got it today. seems to be in OK shape.

i assume those seals need replacing? also i couldn't wind the camera but the batteries appear to be dead.

Old 01-29-2019   #84
shawn

Seals look like they could use replacing. Jon Goodman sells very inexpensive custom cut kits for the XA series.

[email protected]

I've done the seals in several XA series cameras and it is pretty easy. He includes full instructions too.

If you can't wind it is probably because the shutter is already cocked. Will need batteries to fire it and then it should wind fine.

Shawn

Old 01-29-2019   #85
B-9
Devin Bro

Nice little XA2 you got there! Happy shooting!

Old 01-30-2019   #86
Scope79

Good catch for 30$ , it looks very tidy. Get silver oxide batteries for it, they will last longer and metering is more accurate with them.

Old 01-30-2019   #87
newjerseysurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scope79 View Post
Good catch for 30$ , it looks very tidy. Get silver oxide batteries for it, they will last longer and metering is more accurate with them.
Definitely seems to be, at least externally:

Old 01-30-2019   #88
newjerseysurf

Ok so maybe I now know why the XA2 was affordable. Or maybe it’s just me being new to this.

It appears the film isn’t latching on here at the bottom for whatever reason.

Also sometimes when I press the shutter I hear an initial click and then a second click about 1 second later.

Regardless I can get the film to wind into the camera.

Old 01-30-2019   #89
newjerseysurf

It also kinda looks like it ripped the film. The first attempt I did need to wind it with some force so maybe I ripped it??

Old 01-30-2019   #90
newjerseysurf

And a video. This is without film in the camera.

https://youtu.be/2GURKu3OWZI

Old 01-30-2019   #91
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseysurf View Post
And a video. This is without film in the camera.

https://youtu.be/2GURKu3OWZI
What film speed do you have it set to? Sounds like it is just keeping the shutter open for a longer exposure. If the ISO is set really low that is probably fine, if it is set really high something may be going on. The green light is saying that the exposure is going to be lower than 1/30 of a second.

Point the camera at a bright light and see if the camera fires with a different shutter speed. Or plug the flash in and shoot with it and see if the shutter is different.

Shawn

Old 01-30-2019   #92
newjerseysurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
What film speed do you have it set to? Sounds like it is just keeping the shutter open for a longer exposure. If the ISO is set really low that is probably fine, if it is set really high something may be going on. The green light is saying that the exposure is going to be lower than 1/30 of a second.

Point the camera at a bright light and see if the camera fires with a different shutter speed. Or plug the flash in and shoot with it and see if the shutter is different.

Shawn
Ok I feel a bit better. It was at ISO 100.

Thoughts on why the film didnít catch and appeared to rip? Is that roll done for?

Is there anything that can cause damage by firing the shutter without film in it or with the door open as Iím testing?

Old 01-30-2019   #93
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Is there anything that can cause damage by firing the shutter without film in it or with the door open as Iím testing?
No.

Phil Forrest

Old 01-30-2019   #94
newjerseysurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
No.

Phil Forrest
any idea why that film ripped and is that one a goner now? maybe i loaded improperly?

Old 01-30-2019   #95
shawn

You can just pull a little more film out of the canister and cut a new leader on it. Might have ripped if when it tensioned on the spool the gear didn't line up with the sprockets. Or if you tried winding it and had your hand on the rewind dial you can tear film that way too.

Shutter will be fine firing with no film and/or with the rear door open. It makes no difference at all there.

Shawn

Old 01-30-2019   #96
newjerseysurf

What the heck am I doing wrong here? This is getting to be incredibly frustrating.

https://youtu.be/RbiCzUl2PeM

Old 01-30-2019   #97
shawn

You need to read the fine manual. Page 4.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/olympus...lympus_xa2.pdf

The film leader has to be pushed into the slots in the take up reel.

Shawn

EDIT: See video

Old 01-30-2019   #98
newjerseysurf

Quote:
You need to read the fine manual. Page 4.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/olympus...lympus_xa2.pdf

The film leader has to be pushed into the slots in the take up reel.

Shawn

EDIT: See video
thanks. i was actually watching those and still not getting it. finally i pushed it as deep into the slot as it would go AND held my fingers on that little spoked reel thing until it fed it. i was being too gentle with it.

honestly the whole unit feels a little fragile so i am babying it a bit.

Old 01-30-2019   #99
shawn

I think they are fairly tough really. I bought 4 or 5 XA series and none had feed issues. Once you get it it will be easy.

With any film camera if the take up spool has any of slots in it the film leader gets fed into the spool in one way or another. Depends a little on if the spool spins clockwise or counter clockwise for take-up.

If the spool is totally smooth there is usually a mark (often red) near the bottom of the film chamber which is a marker for where you bring the leader to and then close the back and the camera will auto take-up the film.

Shawn

Old 01-30-2019   #100
newjerseysurf

Quote:
I think they are fairly tough really. I bought 4 or 5 XA series and none had feed issues. Once you get it it will be easy.

With any film camera if the take up spool has any of slots in it the film leader gets fed into the spool in one way or another. Depends a little on if the spool spins clockwise or counter clockwise for take-up.

If the spool is totally smooth there is usually a mark (often red) near the bottom of the film chamber which is a marker for where you bring the leader to and then close the back and the camera will auto take-up the film.

Shawn
good stuff. here's a stupid question - when is the thing actually powered on? is it only when you flip open the lens door? does it go into some type of hibernation otherwise?

Old 01-30-2019   #101
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
good stuff. here's a stupid question - when is the thing actually powered on? is it only when you flip open the lens door? does it go into some type of hibernation otherwise?
The door activates a lever that opens and closes a circuit. Open door = closed circuit, camera on. Closed door = open circuit, camera off. No hibernation, just simply off and no power drain.
Phil

Old 01-31-2019   #102
newjerseysurf

thanks all. incredibly helpful as you guide this complete newbie down the analog path.

here's a weird one - and one i asked elsewhere.

this XA2, for whatever reason, REEKS of old women's perfume. both the box it came in (original Olympus box), the camera AND the flash.

some people recommended using a bit of isopropyl alcohol to wipe both the camera and box down.

your thoughts?

Old 01-31-2019   #103
Scope79

Quote:
thanks all. incredibly helpful as you guide this complete newbie down the analog path.

here's a weird one - and one i asked elsewhere.

this XA2, for whatever reason, REEKS of old women's perfume. both the box it came in (original Olympus box), the camera AND the flash.

some people recommended using a bit of isopropyl alcohol to wipe both the camera and box down.

your thoughts?
I would clean old, deteriorated light seals first and install new ones before shooting with film, and while at it give camera a good wipe with slightly diluted alcohol. Box lining can get damaged from alcohol if rubbed too much, so maybe filling it with coffee beans or dry rice for a few days is safer option. I don't know what perfume it is, but trust me, nothing is worse than cigarette smoke.

Old 01-31-2019   #104
newjerseysurf

So my Pentax PC35AF was dropped off today. Seller claims they cannot fire shutter or advance film.

Is this a common issue and are there any things to check first in regards to what he claims is an issue?

This is admittedly me jumping the gun as I’m not home yet to test it.

Old 01-31-2019   #105
narsuitus

I know that the original poster has purchased a compact 35mm but here is my recommendation for new readers to this post.

I have used the Canon Sure Shot and Nikon L35AF compact 35mm cameras. Both are motorized, auto-focus, auto-exposure cameras that are great for the times when I want to shoot with a small, simple, inexpensive, easy to operate camera that takes decent quality photos. Both cameras require two AA batteries.

I prefer the Nikon because of the cameras I have used, it has a lower failure rate than the Canon.

Nikon & Canon Compacts by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 01-31-2019   #106
newjerseysurf

Hi folks. Some more cameras arrived today and brought with them their own unique issues.

1. Nikon AF600 Lite Touch: in excellent condition with original leather case. Haven’t tested much but already it appears the lens door doesn’t close entirely - see photo. Any thoughts?

Old 01-31-2019   #107
newjerseysurf

2. Pentax PC35AF - exterior is mint, literally. Threw batteries in and it appears I can’t press the shutter down fully. It won’t take a shot and it’s fully winded. Seller did make note of this, any thoughts?

Old 01-31-2019   #108
B-9
Devin Bro

Shoot Phil a message, he knows his way around the insides of the PC35

I believe he is also working on a few AF600's!

Old 01-31-2019   #109
newjerseysurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Shoot Phil a message, he knows his way around the insides of the PC35

I believe he is also working on a few AF600's!
He sure is. He and I have been shooting the breeze for a bit now.

Old 01-31-2019   #110
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Just stop buying all of this junk in unknown, untested condition.

Old 01-31-2019   #111
B-9
Devin Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
If you like working on things it is a cheap hobby and a lot of fun.

I for one enjoy the thrill of a cheap broken camera to play Frankenstein! As do a few of us floating around this thread.

Learning to repair electronics is a valuable skill in a disposable world of trinkets.

Old 01-31-2019   #112
DaveW

Hey B-9, who is Phil? I would like to know the fix for the Pentax PC35AF as well as mine is in the same condition. It is getting energy from the battery (as the flash indicator lights) but the shutter will not depress. I can attest that the Nikon L35AF takes very sharp pictures.

Old 01-31-2019   #113
newjerseysurf

Quote:
To be fair the XA2 was untested (and thus quite cheap) and seems to work fine. Same with the Nikon with the exception of the lens cover.

Old 01-31-2019   #114
newjerseysurf

Quote:
To be fair the XA2 was untested (and thus quite cheap) and seems to work fine. Same with the Nikon with the exception of the lens cover.

Old 01-31-2019   #115
Huss

Quote:
Quote:
I'm w/ KoFe.
I've recently bought 3 P&S cameras, that are in perfect condition and guaranteed to work perfectly or I could have sent them back. For $20 or under each.
I don't have much patience I guess for buying unknown/broken stuff.

Curious though in your original thread title you mention durable. Nothing that you have bought thus far fits that bill. And the reality is the vast majority of P&S cameras are NOT durable! They were made for the general amateur consumer that takes maybe 3 rolls of film a year - Christmas, summer holiday and maybe some kid's event. These things were not built to last which is why I only buy ones that look to be almost unused, and have been said to work.

Old 01-31-2019   #116
newjerseysurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I'm w/ KoFe.
I've recently bought 3 P&S cameras, that are in perfect condition and guaranteed to work perfectly or I could have sent them back. For $20 or under each.
I don't have much patience I guess for buying unknown/broken stuff.

Curious though in your original thread title you mention durable. Nothing that you have bought thus far fits that bill. And the reality is the vast majority of P&S cameras are NOT durable! They were made for the general amateur consumer that takes maybe 3 rolls of film a year - Christmas, summer holiday and maybe some kid's event. These things were not built to last which is why I only buy ones that look to be almost unused, and have been said to work.
curious which ones you grabbed for $20?

also i had thought the XA2 was at least "somewhat" durable - whatever that means. and i didn't read much about the AF600 being particularly fragile.

right now, it appears i am 2/3 and if the Pentax is fixable then i get the added enjoyment of a little project.

Old 01-31-2019   #117
wjlapier

My XA took a tumble about a year ago and bounced and rolled on the pavement. I thought it was a goner. It still works and looks way better than I thought it would. Nothing bent or broken. Id say that’s pretty durable.

Old 01-31-2019   #118
Huss

Quote:
curious which ones you grabbed for $20?

also i had thought the XA2 was at least "somewhat" durable - whatever that means. and i didn't read much about the AF600 being particularly fragile.

right now, it appears i am 2/3 and if the Pentax is fixable then i get the added enjoyment of a little project.
Nikon ZT800 ($20)
Nikon Z800 ($20)
Pentax Zoom90WR ($10)

There are so many deals out there like these, as most peeps who bought these cameras actually didn't really use them. They just thought they should have a camera around. Ya know, for a special occasion or some such thing, and then put them away after shooting a few rolls.
When almost new condition cameras like this are so cheap, I would never buy one in beater shape, it just doesnt make any sense unless you like having broken cameras.

Old 02-01-2019   #119
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Hey there, I'm Phil. Sorry I've been out of touch for a while. I got to play with a Google VR art application at school and have had my mind completely blown. During that time, my phone diedm then it was late, then I repaired my Konica Autoreflex T3, then bed.
Anyway, for those of you with PC35AFs, top mashing down your shutter button. The fix isn't hard but I just thought that I need to provide a caveat for easy. If you can easily put together an Ikea Billy bookshelf, you can probably do this.
I can't write all the steps down right now but it's not difficult to the point that your camera is paperweight. Not if that is the only problem. All bets are off if there are other issues. I've repaired two PC35AFs and have had them apart a bunch of times. The door is the giant pain.
Until I can write down the procedure to repar the PC35AF, google search your camera and the symptom. That's hot I learned to get into this particular model.
As for the Nikon AF600, it's an electronic brick that takes photos. Well it's much more than that but it is pretty smple. Simpler to open to work on and diagnose but since it is highly electronic, the circuits are all integrated, flexible and tiny. Matt, PM me for both cameras. I will be at my intenship till 3 today then will beable to walk you through fixing the Pentax and diganosing the Nikon.
Happy shooting.

Phil Forrest

Sent from my LG-V530 using Tapatalk

Old 02-01-2019   #120
David Hughes
David Hughes

Keep the XA2, use it and read the manual again and again after the next couple of rolls.

Aside, put batteries in the flash and turn it on and leave it for 20 minutes or so to reform the condensers.

Regards, David