Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: How often do you use a Tripod?
Never. 63 19.87%
Occasionally ... when I need to. 185 58.36%
Regularly. 69 21.77%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2018   #81
Steve M.

Personally, I hate the things w/ a passion. For me, they kill everything that is fun about photography. The spontaneity, the freedom and creativity of being able to move around intuitively and smoothly, and quickly get shots from different angles, and a lot more. Obviously I am not a LF shooter.

Toting the thing is worse than using it. But, for some recent self portraits of the girlfriend and I, a tripod was a necessary evil. However, the tripod taken shots didn't look nearly as good as the hand held shots that I took of June by herself.

Old 10-24-2018   #82
Steve M.

"Watching the wavering video image from hand held videos is nauseating."

It was until they invented the Steadicam.

Old 10-24-2018   #83
CMur12

I have a tremor in my hands, so I can no longer handhold a camera steadily.

I recently got a DSLR with IS in the main lens, so I'm hoping I can realistically handhold it with good stability. The wide angle zoom has no IS, however, so I anticipate using a tripod and angle-finder with that lens for landscapes.

- Murray

Old 10-25-2018   #84
Richard G

I have been using tripods more and more lately. For years I had just the Leitz small tabletop. I would use it as a chest-pod, plaster against an upright wall, use it low on rocks etc. I used it for landscapes in mountainous country in New Zealand.

I have an older Manfrotto 190 in aluminium that was in my office at work for years. It is now just behind the door in the front room at home with a wonderful new CB40 Leofoto ballhead. This morning I captured the cat in dim light from a low angle at 3200 ISO in the Monochrom: very hard to hold still bent from the waist.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1906/...a2ece613_c.jpg
L2009478.jpg
by Richard, on Flickr

The revival of the tripod has come along a lot since buying a Hasselblad 500CM. It changes how you see and how you take photographs. It slows you down to analyse the shot more and check details you won't want in the finished print. This has spilled over to my digital 35mm. Sometimes I am waiting for just the right light, and the camera is all set up. Other times I am waiting for a bird to land in a particular branch. (Still waiting...)

I now have a light weight Gitzo 1545T which is so light I can take it for miles without noticing. It's good enough for the Hasselblad and the 35mm cameras.

Old 10-25-2018   #85
al1966
Feed Your Head

Rarely use them due to doing most of my work on the move, there are projects I have done, still life type of things that I will use one. I have an Old Manfrotto I bought years and years ago, used and its been sterling. Its a 220 or something like that heavy and cumbersome, was not low cost but has proved its value.

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 10-25-2018   #86
Out to Lunch

As least as possible.

Old 10-25-2018   #87
leica M2 fan

In the old days I always took a tripod with me on photo excursions. It's only been in the last 5 or 6 years that I haven't used it as much. Mostly due to the
weight but I have 2 monopads that I use instead and they work well for me.

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Old 10-25-2018   #88
Russell W. Barnes

The beauty of my old Mess-Baldix 6x6 folder is that it has a little flap that folds down when open and so enables stability of the camera on any handy flat surface, even aiding greatly on lamp-posts, signs, bollards, etc... Being a 6x6 with a longer focal length than 35mm, shakes are exaggerated and stability is, I feel, more important than with my Pentax MX. I now automatically seek out the flat tops of street furniture when I'm out 'n' about.

I have a Manfrotto Pixi thing about 7" long which slips in the pocket, as well as one of those flexible things with bendy legs that come in the better quality Christmas crackers. It's very useful with my Sony RX100 II but I wouldn't trust it with anything heavier.

I also have a big Benbo device that has a mind of its own but is extremely useful as part of my copy set-up for 6X6 negs. I bought it specifically to copy photographs years ago.

I've had more success with a bean-bag and a long lens - and it's easier to set up!

Old 10-25-2018   #89
zuiko85

Especially since I shoot a lot of pinhole lately. But even with other film photography, the tripod is at least within reach and now days I don't want to be in too much of a hurry taking pictures.

Old 10-26-2018   #90
peter_n
~

I must have been through about 20 tripods, starting with an aluminum Slik and ending with a RRS. I used as many as six concurrently but now I've settled down with just two that I like a lot, both are durable and very stable. If you're looking for a decent tripod consult Dave Berryrieser's excellent comparison site.

I've been through even more ballheads, once again starting with a Slik and currently using Acratech, Arca-Swiss and FLM heads. I swap out heads frequently and use a 50mm Arca-Swiss type clamp on the apex of my tripods and a 50mm square plate on the base of my heads. Changing ballheads is quick with no degradation in rigidity.

I use my support gear for urban night shots, macro and landscapes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4332PP.jpg (27.9 KB, 11 views)

My RFF Gallery

Old 10-26-2018   #91
Dogman

I haven't used a tripod in several years...since I settled into shooting totally digital. Prior to that, I used one quite a bit even though I hated the damn things. I still have heavy Gitzo and Bogen (Manfrotto) tripods around here somewhere but I think the last time one was taken out of the house was when I used a spotting scope to view distant birds, not for photography.

Oddly enough, I still keep a monopod in my vehicle and a Leica tabletop tripod sometimes gets tossed in a bag when going on a trip. I just don't remember ever using them with a digital camera.

Old 10-26-2018   #92
retinax

It's been years. I don't have one now. So I voted never. Although I recognize the benefits, I don't enjoy using them, carrying them or paying for them, and mostly don't work in a stationary fashion.

That being said, I think I will eventually buy one again because I want to take pictures that require it, and in the end the results matter.

Also thinking about buying a monopod. No cumbersome to set up, lighter, can double as walking stick...

Old 10-26-2018   #93
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

I don't use one enough.
I want to get a Berlebach.

Phil Forrest

Old 10-26-2018   #94
capitalK
Warrior Poet :P

I almost never use a tripod. Having said that, on the rare occasions that I have used one I have never regretted it.

Old 10-26-2018   #95
kxl
Social Documentary

I have 4 -- my uses are primarily for birding, travel and long exposures. Due to my mobility constraints, I do most of my shooting when I am sitting down or leaning against something. I do sometimes use a tripod to steady myself.

- A Gitzo 3532 that I use with an AS Z1 ballhead and Wimberley sidekick for use with my D500 and 200-500mm

- An older (1st gen) Feisol 3442 that I've used for travel for years but has probably seen better days. My son has pretty much claimed this for himself.

- A new Sirui EN-2204 - my new travel tripod. One of the legs unscrews for use as a monopod.

- A Gorillapod

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 10-26-2018   #96
peter_n
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
I don't use one enough.
I want to get a Berlebach.

Phil Forrest
Me too! I want the Report 302 for shooting in cities at night. Wooden tripods are still king when it comes to vibration.

My RFF Gallery

Old 10-26-2018   #97
intheviewfinder
Street

I have a nice carbon fiber tripod though use it rarely.

But when I was much younger I took a week long seminar with a well-know photographer. He used a tripod to correct a bad habit I had developed. My assignment was to use a tripod for the week's various challenges. Needless to say today I'm the slowest street photographer you'll ever meet and after four hours I might have 70 photos on the SD card (some days I come home with 10-15).

Old 10-26-2018   #98
Contarama

Star D Davidson Conquest...sort of a Leitz Tiltall...Ive had it for years but only recently have I been using it. I would like to have the monopod leg

Old 10-27-2018   #99
css9450

I like using the tripod... I'd use it more if I could. Long lenses, low light, indoor stuff, night photography. I do a lot of four-minute exposures under the full moon. If for some reason someone told me I had to use it for EVERY photo I wouldn't complain but obviously in a lot of places it gets in the way and/or attracts unwanted attention.

Old 10-27-2018   #100
roscoetuff

I've preferred a monopod since aspiring to become a filmmaker as a teen (which didn't happen btw). That's still my 1st choice. Keep a minipod in my bag all the time. Use it regularly... but not all the time. RF's seem to have less shake and you can get away without more than with SLR's. But as has been said, "..a tripod is your best lens!"

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer
Theres nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansel Adams

Old 10-27-2018   #101
sreed2006

Gitzo G2220 Explorer tripod, with an Acratech Ultimate Ball Head, and a Velbon Macro Slider. With this setup, the camera can be put just about anywhere from over 6 ft. (2 meters) high to about 6 in. (15 cm) above the ground (even lower if the camera is upside down). The camera can be set a considerable distance out from the center of the tripod which comes in very handy for macro shots of flowers. The tripod also can be put on a table and the camera arranged to shoot straight down, like a copy stand. I've had a lot of fun with this setup.

Well - can't get the pictures to display. Here's links.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1921/...413a6dae_c.jpgIMG_3917 by sreed2006, on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1947/...6442c900_c.jpgIMG_1391 by sreed2006, on Flickr

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Last edited by sreed2006 : 10-27-2018 at 05:13. Reason: cannot get the picture to show up.

Old 10-27-2018   #102
FPjohn

Less than I should. FPJ

Old 10-27-2018   #103
ChipMcD

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheviewfinder View Post
I have a nice carbon fiber tripod though use it rarely.

But when I was much younger I took a week long seminar with a well-know photographer. He used a tripod to correct a bad habit I had developed. My assignment was to use a tripod for the week's various challenges. Needless to say today I'm the slowest street photographer you'll ever meet and after four hours I might have 70 photos on the SD card (some days I come home with 10-15).
There does seem to be something to the old cliche that stuff that makes you slow down (tripods, shooting medium or large format) also makes you think more about what you are doing, resulting often in better photos. I've got to take my hat off to a tripod street photographer, though. Good on you!

Old 10-27-2018   #104
ChipMcD

I used to use one more than I do now and am trying to get back to it, particularly in medium format.

Old 10-27-2018   #105
Nokton48

I have quite a few tripods and they are all useful at times.

Here is my Plaubel Peco Profia Camera Stand (my biggest!) in my home basement studio.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4233/...c5dbf893_c.jpgDSC05778 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 10-27-2018   #106
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

One photographer - thats me
One backpack
One camera
One lens
No tripod

I do have a beautiful Bogan carbon fiber tripod and a couple heads for it, but it sits in a corner gathering dust. Years ago when I was a nature photographer and digital photography was something wed heard about but had never seen, my photo buddy and I would load up a van with our film cameras, long lenses, tripods, cooler full of beer and other things and wed head to the mountains for a weekend of serious tripod using photography.

Nowadays its me by myself with a train/bus pass, lightweight rig in a backpack and I walk the city streets (for the most part) taking candid pictures of people and the surrounding cityscape. A tripod is not convenient for me.

Mike

Old 10-27-2018   #107
Emile de Leon

Back in the day...I used to hate tripods..
Now...I luv em...
From teeny weeny Gitzo...to Linhof..to giant Ries..and even a cheep Chinese carbon fiber..
They all are a great benefit..!

Old 10-27-2018   #108
xmas_one

Almost never. I usually find myself improvising by setting the camera on a car or whatever I can find and using the self timer.

Old 03-04-2019   #109
B-9
Devin Bro

I always hated using my tripods. Hated leaning over and hated using center column.

Im fixing that this summer and buying a tall set of legs with no column.

wish me luck haha

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Always
Old 03-04-2019   #110
chipgreenberg

Always

always, or at least a monopod. I have a waist level finder (TLR) and the TLR is so light and vibration free why not try and get the best image quality!

Old 03-04-2019   #111
CharlesDAMorgan

For large format, all the time. For medium format, rarely. For 35mm - macro. For general shooting, never.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 03-05-2019   #112
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
I always hated using my tripods. Hated leaning over and hated using center column.

Im fixing that this summer and buying a tall set of legs with no column.

wish me luck haha

Yeah that's the main problem beside weight, bulk and time for me, too, being fairly tall. If I ever go back to using a tripod, only with a waist level finder or tilting screen.

Old 03-05-2019   #113
CMur12

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Yeah that's the main problem beside weight, bulk and time for me, too, being fairly tall. If I ever go back to using a tripod, only with a waist level finder or tilting screen.

This is why I use an angle finder with my SLRs on a tripod.

It requires less tripod extension and I find it easier to look down into the eyepiece than to line myself up behind the camera at eye-level.

I've developed a tremor in my hands as I've gotten older, which has made a tripod more of a necessity.

- Murray

Old 03-05-2019   #114
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

IMO use of a tripod is a rather antithetical to the raison d'etre for 35mm and other "miniature" cameras, i.e. fast handling.

I can count on one hand the number of times I used the Bogen Manfrotto tripod I bought 15 years ago,
so I sent it to my daughter's friend who said she could use it for video.

However I do have a nice Manfrotto monopod - with quick release - that I use occasionally...

Chris

Old 03-05-2019   #115
Michael Markey

I have four types used for birding but have recently taken to using a Manfrotto monopod with a fluid head for my 400/4 .

It`s a lot easier having it resting on the monopod than hand holding it for hours.

Old 03-06-2019   #116
RichC

All the time.

And not only a tripod... I spent three years and 500 miles walking through London, photographing a "lost" river - the Fleet - and carried a pair of kitchen steps to use with my tripod, to gain even more flexibility when framing.

A pain to carry - literally. My camera gear was bulky and weighed 12 kg (25 lb). I got a lot of peculiar looks...

Wish I'd paid attention to the following when I was starting out:
  • Sharp photos are a lottery without a tripod, however fast the shutter.
  • You get what you pay for. Any tripod costing less than 100 ($130) is wobbly and useless.
  • And don't buy a cheap head either. A good head costs as much as a good tripod.
I went through too many tripods trying to save weight and money. In hindsight, an obvious fool's errand that ruined photos and cost more than if I'd bought a decent tripod in the first place!

I now use a Manfrotto 055 carbon tripod with a Manfrotto hydraulic ballhead - sturdy, and the ballhead is exceptional. Not thrilled by the weight (3.5 kg, 8 lb) but you can have a sturdy tripod or a light one - not both!

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 03-06-2019   #117
michaelwj
----------------

Reading the responses I feel the “occasionally ... when I need to” should be split into two groups:
2a. I occasionally need to but grudgingly do it because I have to but I still hate it.
2b. I see that a tripod is really useful sometimes so I happily use one occasionally.

I’m in the 2a camp.

Old 03-06-2019   #118
creenus

Leitz Tiltall for me. At 6'2", I need something that gets me to eye level without a wobbly center post. Not the easiest head to adjust but I just live with it.

Don't use it enough. There's a case to be made for using it all the time for 35mm, as the neg is so tiny. I shoot at 1/250th and above these days - hands not as steady as I'd like - just in case.

Old 03-06-2019   #119
B-9
Devin Bro

Creeznus, can you recommend a Tiltall model?

Curious what the height of the legs are without using column.

I think Im looking at a 01B, says 74 max, but i wonder what it is without column.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 03-06-2019   #120
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
- and carried a pair of kitchen steps to use with my tripod, to gain even more flexibility when framing.

Oh yes! I used to have one of those plastic milk cartons in the trunk of my car (anyone who lived in a rural American town with a dairy has seen a million of them) and would haul it out from time to time if I needed a little elevation. Amazing how much an extra foot or fifteen inches (or whatever) can help sometimes!