Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film

Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film Discuss Image processing -- traditional darkoom or digital lightroom here. Notice there are subcategories to narrow down subject matter. .

Monitor Calibration
Old 03-08-2019   #1
chipgreenberg

Monitor Calibration

Can anybody give me insight into Monitor Calibration? I have a new computer and monitor. My old Spyder Express isn't compatible. Sent a recent batch of scans off for printing with a place I've been happy with and the color looked OK the density was way off from what's displayed.

What do you folks use/do? Would calibrating help?

Thank you!

Chip

Old 03-08-2019   #2
Huss

https://www.xrite.com/categories/cal.../i1display-pro

Unless you calibrate your monitor you're prints would be hit or miss.

Old 03-08-2019   #3
Shac

I Use a Spyder Pro with a BenQ SW2700PT 27"- but still need to test prints and do some tweaking

Old 03-08-2019   #4
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The very best way to go is to use a self-calibrating screen that was designed for graphics and photo work, like the NEC Spectraview screens or the Eizo Coloredge. They're expensive, but really are worth the money. I use an NEC Spectraview PA241W.

If you have a regular screen, the best calibration system is the Xrite i1 Display Pro.

Old 03-08-2019   #5
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

You know when you ask a question on the internet everyone tells you what they do which isn't exactly the answer you want. That always cracks me up.

I am not going to check for you, but you might be able to use Argyll/DisplayCal with your puck. They are open source and free.

I don't remember offhand what the software was like on the Spyder Express, but I know without a doubt that DisplayCal will do a better job than any of the old software. The only downside to using it is you may find it really complicated.

BasicColor is another program that might work for you. The cost of it though might just lead you to get a new solution instead of trying to get your old one to work.

Hope that helps you.

Old 03-08-2019   #6
BernardL

Quote:
I am not going to check for you, but you might be able to use Argyll/DisplayCal with your puck. They are open source and free.
DisplayCal works for me and my obsolete equipment: Samsung SyncMaster 173P and X-Rite/Monaco Optix Puck.

Side note. No thanks to Samsung for designing a monitor without buttons, where the on-screen menus (contrast, color, etc) work only with their so-called MagicTune software. Last update was Win7.

Monitor Calibration
Old 03-08-2019   #7
maigo

Monitor Calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
You know when you ask a question on the internet everyone tells you what they do which isn't exactly the answer you want. That always cracks me up.

I don't remember offhand what the software was like on the Spyder Express, but I know without a doubt that DisplayCal will do a better job than any of the old software. The only downside to using it is you may find it really complicated.

BasicColor is another program that might work for you. The cost of it though might just lead you to get a new solution instead of trying to get your old one to work.

Hope that helps you.

DisplayCal does not expressly support the Spyder Express hardware.

https://displaycal.net/#instruments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solved
Old 03-09-2019   #8
chipgreenberg

Solved

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to save my pennies for the NEC solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
The very best way to go is to use a self-calibrating screen that was designed for graphics and photo work, like the NEC Spectraview screens or the Eizo Coloredge. They're expensive, but really are worth the money. I use an NEC Spectraview PA241W.

If you have a regular screen, the best calibration system is the Xrite i1 Display Pro.

Old 03-09-2019   #9
ptpdprinter

After you calibrate your screen, you still have to figure out how to match your calibrated screen to your printer output with print profiles. It is a real rabbit hole, taking on a life of its own.

prints
Old 03-09-2019   #10
chipgreenberg

prints

Seems like a rabbit hole. I outsource printing. They suggest embedding Adobe RGB in the files

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
After you calibrate your screen, you still have to figure out how to match your calibrated screen to your printer output with print profiles. It is a real rabbit hole, taking on a life of its own.

Old 03-09-2019   #11
Bill Clark

Info to help from the lab I used when in business:

https://www.whcc.com/resources/color%20

Hope it helps you.

Old 03-09-2019   #12
chipgreenberg

Thank Bill

Old 03-09-2019   #13
Monochrom

Hi, iŽve never been able to calibrate my monitors....so i use the info tool in photoshop and calculate CMYK percentages, it works quite fine...inkjet printers are far precise than heidelbergs XD