Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Old 03-06-2019   #161
Danlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightline View Post
I discovered a photographer's site whose B&W shots I thought were quite good. He generously lists the settings used in his X100F.

Fuji X100F: My Go-To ACROS Settings:
http://www.thebroketographers.com/bl...tings?rq=x100f

Fuji X100F: More ACROS Settings for Street Photography:
http://www.thebroketographers.com/bl...raphy?rq=x100f
Sorry, but those shots look horribly "digital flat"! That is not a look that I like.

Old 03-06-2019   #162
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlo View Post
Sorry, but those shots look horribly "digital flat"! That is not a look that I like.

"Digital flat"? I don't like them either but they're definitely not flat. They are overly contrasty with inky shadows and no detail. This appears to be SOP today with many B&W photographers who have apparently just discovered the Clarity slider in Lightroom.

Just as every B&W photo does not need to have a full range of grey tones to be successful, not every B&W photo needs to be soot and whitewash either. It becomes fatiguing to the eye, just like oversaturated colors.

Old 03-06-2019   #163
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlo View Post

I would characterize it as "digital clean" and I am not a fan either. The high ISO shots look marginally better. It is what it is. Apples and oranges.

If you want digital B&W to look like neg film on screen, it won't because it can't, despite Fuji's cynical marketing. I imagine prints would look better.

Old 03-06-2019   #164
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post

Just as every B&W photo does not need to have a full range of grey tones to be successful, not every B&W photo needs to be soot and whitewash either. It becomes fatiguing to the eye, just like oversaturated colors.
Exactly...

Old 03-06-2019   #165
bushwick1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
It was recommended highly by several people here when I asked for a quality fixed lens daily carry camera on behalf of a friend and justifiably so ... it has a great reputation for excellent IQ and performance.

My friend went ahead and bought one a week or two ago and visited me today and bought the little Fuji with her so I had a chance to play with it. I had an original X100 and was impressed with it's simplicity but I see a lot has happened to the X100 since then. Nothing simple about this camera and also very little about it that seemed intuitive to me. Congratulations Fuji because based on popularity the camera is a winner but I think you have given it a lot of DSLR style complication that it really didn't need.

Apologies in advance to happy X100F owners but this was my overpowering impression.
Yes, Fuji packed all the buttons and switches into the complicated menu structure. Now the most annoying new feature of the F is the flimsy dedicated front wheel/dial that controls the ISO setting.
And: Why would you want to fiddle with the ISO settings before each single shot?

Old 03-06-2019   #166
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick1234 View Post
Now the most annoying new feature of the F is the flimsy dedicated front wheel/dial that controls the ISO setting.
Huh? ... ...

Old 03-06-2019   #167
bushwick1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Huh? ... ...
I don't mean the top combination Shutter speed dial /sensitivity dial that needs to be pulled up to change the ISO setting, but the flimsy Front command dial, jsrockit.

Old 03-06-2019   #168
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick1234 View Post
I don't mean the top combination Shutter speed dial /sensitivity dial that needs to be pulled up to change the ISO setting, but the flimsy Front command dial, jsrockit.
Although it’s not annoying since I just disabled it, it is too flimsy (easily changed unknowingly) to be useful. IMO it really needs to be conntona button, hold the button down to change the wheel setting to avoid being unwittingly moved.

Old 03-10-2019   #169
thawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Nikon FM2n, baby!!
How ‘bout an SRT101!,

Old 03-28-2019   #170
ktmrider

I just picked up a X100F as a second digital camera for a trip around the world and I like it so much I am thinking of selling the Leica MP240. God, what is there not to like?

Old 03-28-2019   #171
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Whenever I buy a new digital camera, I try to set it up to operate like my old Nikon F3. I only use aperture, shutter speed, and iso adjustments. And the occasional shift of ‘film type’. I rarely need to look at a manual. Simplicity.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 03-28-2019   #172
davhill
Canon P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
I just picked up a X100F as a second digital camera for a trip around the world and I like it so much I am thinking of selling the Leica MP240. God, what is there not to like?
Oh, you'll find something! But it's very good to hear a positive reaction :0

Cameras: Canon P~Zeiss Ikon Ikonta35~Nikkormat FTN~Fuji X100~
LTM RF Lenses: Canon 1.8/50~Leitz Elmar 3.5/50~KMZ J-8 2/50~LZOS J-12 2.8/35 ~
SLR Lenses; Nikkor 2/50~Nikkor 1.4/50~Zuiko 3.5/50 Macro~...

Old 03-28-2019   #173
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
I left Leica for Fuji many years ago. Best move for me.

Old 03-28-2019   #174
blan01

Manual system is fine, I can set most of the stuffs by physical dial and buttons, you can get use to the rest after a few hours of use.Image quality is good, even the original x100 produced nice files for me.
I just don't enjoy the lens, not a bad lens optically but I wish it was better. AF speed is OK but not amazing, which is fine if Fuji offers good manual focus experience, Unfortunately it's focusing by wire....

Old 03-31-2019   #175
ktmrider

Leica offers a very nice manual focus experience.