Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Light seals for an Olympus XA3
Old 04-13-2019   #1
Jerevan
Recycled User

Light seals for an Olympus XA3

I have always enjoyed my XA cameras, and I tried to cut some new foam strips recently. The foam was of good quality once, but it now turned out to be rather crumbly. Cutting strips in 1 mm thickness wasn't exactly easy, either.

Is there some alternative "foam" that I can use? Some sort of yarn possibly?

Old 04-13-2019   #2
Hasku

Black Knitting wool ??

Old 04-13-2019   #3
retinax

Wollen yarn is often recommended, I'm just starting using that and don't have and experience to share yet other than that black, real wool and the right thickness is surprisingly hard to find.
Could you share the origin and age of your deteriorating foam so we can avoid it?

Old 04-13-2019   #4
Johngwill

Aki-Asahi sells light seal material, both foam and string type. http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/

I have replaced seals in several cameras using this material as well as using the pre-cut sets. I notice they sell pre-cut seal sets for the XA2.

Old 04-13-2019   #5
shawn

Jon Goodman sells pre-cut foam kits for lots of cameras. Last time I bought a XA3 kit it was $9. That came with full directions for installation and I think also how to remove the top to clean the viewfinder.

[email protected]

Shawn

Old 04-13-2019   #6
wwfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Wollen yarn is often recommended, I'm just starting using that and don't have and experience to share yet other than that black, real wool and the right thickness is surprisingly hard to find.

The yarn I have has 4 strands. I can pull 1 or 2 strands off (one at a time seems to work best, for maintaining the twist in the remainder), and get an appropriate fit.

Old 04-13-2019   #7
Austintatious

[QUOTEJon Goodman sells pre-cut foam kits for lots of cameras. Last time I bought a XA3 kit it was $9. That came with full directions for installation and I think also how to remove the top to clean the viewfinder.

[email protected]
QUOTE]

Jon is highly recommended.

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 04-13-2019   #8
Jerevan
Recycled User

The foam was actually an old, leftover piece that I have had for 5-6 years. Should've thrown it away, but that's what you end up with "trying to make do".

I am going to go through the options - thanks for the ideas!

Old 04-13-2019   #9
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
The foam was actually an old, leftover piece that I have had for 5-6 years. Should've thrown it away, but that's what you end up with "trying to make do".

I am going to go through the options - thanks for the ideas!
I'm hoping foam will last much longer than that, so if you do remember where you got it, please let us know.