Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

I Am Going to the Grand Canyon Soon. What Two Lenses Should I Bring With?
Old 05-07-2019   #1
NickTrop

I Am Going to the Grand Canyon Soon. What Two Lenses Should I Bring With?

Of this list of available lenses, for a visit for a few days to the Grand Canyon, if you could pick 2 (two) -- and only 2 (two), which two (2) would you choose for a full frame Nikon digital body?

1. Tokina 17-35 F4 ATX
2. Sigma 24/2.8 Ultrawide II AF
3. Nikon 28-80 G 3.3-5.6
4. Nikon 35/2 AF-D
5. Nikon 50/1.4 AF-D
6. Micro Nikkor 55/3.5 AI
7. Nikon 85/1.8 G
8 Imado (Tokina?) 135/2.8 AI
9. Nikon 70-210 4-5.6 AF-D
10. Nikon 80-200/4.5 AI
11. Nikon 200/4 AI

Please state the reason you would pick these two (2) lenses. Thank youse.

Old 05-07-2019   #2
Swift1

Based on my lens use the last time I was at the Grand Canyon, my choice would probably be the 17-35 zoom and the 85/1.8
A short tele is really nice to have there.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 05-07-2019   #3
Axel

17-35 and 28-80

Old 05-07-2019   #4
ktmrider

28-80 and 70-200

Old 05-07-2019   #5
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

The micro nikkor and the 80-200.
50mm used to be the gold standard for field of view and general purpose lenses. That micro nikkor is also awesome at infinity. And there is a LOT to take very close photos of at the grand canyon, not just the big depression in the earth.
The 80-200 is your landscape lens for picking out the way light hits the rocks. Or if you want to photograph the ravens having fun over the Abyss
Phil Forrest

Old 05-07-2019   #6
NickTrop

Huh. Interesting.

Old 05-07-2019   #7
raid
Dad Photographer

I took many photos in the American Southwest, and I used mainly a 28-50 lens plus 24 and 17. I used at times also 80-200.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 05-07-2019   #8
Mackinaw
Think Different

We were there a few years back. The most used lenses on my M240 were a 21mm and a 90mm.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 05-07-2019   #9
NickTrop

The short tele options surprise me.

Old 05-07-2019   #10
julio1fer

I visited Grand Canyon. You can do it all with just a normal lens if you want, there is no shortage of subjects and possibilities.

If you want two lenses, a medium wide-angle, 28 or 35mm, and a short tele would do the job well. If you have zooms it will help in your composition, but do not forget the weight factor.

You will want the telephoto to capture landscape features, flying condors, sunset color among other possibilities. No need for very large apertures, unless you bring slow film.

Remember the weight factor, you will probably have to walk a lot and somehow that bag weighs more as the day progresses.

Old 05-07-2019   #11
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

A womanís perspective ... Seeing in primes
Sigma 24 2.8
Nikon 85 1.8

that would be my choice

Old 05-07-2019   #12
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

If you had a 24-70mm, that would cover it pretty much by itself.
I'm assuming you have a full frame Nikon?

So . .

1. Tokina 17-35 F4 ATX

6. Micro Nikkor 55/3.5 AI

Or purchase this (used if you can find one)
https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-24-70mm...001NEK2QO?th=1

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 05-07-2019   #13
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
The short tele options surprise me.
My favorite photo that I took at the Grand Canyon was with a 150mm on a Bronica ETRSI.

Morning at The Grand Canyon by Colton Allen, on Flickr

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 05-07-2019   #14
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

1 and 9. One takes it wide, another squeeze perspective.

Old 05-07-2019   #15
raid
Dad Photographer

For many years, my two main lenses were 28-50 and 80-200.

Old 05-07-2019   #16
NickTrop

Awesome suggestions. I'm more confused than ever.

Old 05-07-2019   #17
Steevo

Polarizing filter to fit all lenses.
Olympus XA, Stylus, Stylus Zoom
Panasonic GH-1 (with Nikon / Leica Adapter)

Do something NEW with those cameras!

Old 05-07-2019   #18
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

If you limit yourself to only one lens, you'll take more photos and swap lenses less, also.
I grew up in the southwest and trying to get it all in, in one photo just doesn't work. The sky is too big, the earth is too grand. Both have too many colors to capture in a frame. For years the only lens I owned was a 50mm f/1.7 SMC-M attached to a Pentax ME Super. I think I had that camera about ten years before all the new shiny stuff got to me and I had to buy it. I took that tiny Pentax backpacking, on road trips, vacations, to Navy weather school, around the world on my first deployment. I was never without it until I sold it to a fellow crew-member in 2000.
Tens of thousands of dollars later, here I am and my favorite lenses are my normals, with very few exceptions.
That said, I would have no problem taking just a 55mm micro-nikkor, camera body and a good tripod. On the northern side of the Sacramento Mountains the air is clean enough from light pollution, you can practically read a newspaper by the milky way. I exaggerate a little but it is really bright. That's just any clear night north of Flagstaff. Here in PA, we have to make camping reservations a year in advance at Cherry Springs and then hope the weather cooperates. I say the 55mm micro nikkor for a little astrophotography because it's the only flat field lens with almost zero coma you have on the list.
I'm rambling, sorry. Wishing I was traveling.

Phil Forrest

Old 05-07-2019   #19
shimokita
白黒

From your list...

It depends on if you are hiking in the canyon or just shooting from the rim. But assuming you walk down at least a little, I would take:

№ 6. Micro Nikkor 55/3.5 AI, always nice to have a macro as the canyon is alive and shooting digital you don't need the fastest lens in the dry cabinet.

№ 7. Nikon 85/1.8 G, I would prefer a longer reach... Maybe for some twilight shots from the edge. The next full moon is 19-May or 17-June-2019.

Definitely PL filters, maybe a 2-3 stop hard ND Grad and a tripod.

Old 05-07-2019   #20
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I'm agreeing with a lot of what's been said already...
I would only add that to take your sharpest wide angle lens and the Nikon 80mm sounds good too...if you can throw in a tripod...
pf

Old 05-07-2019   #21
Pablito
coco frŪo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
Awesome suggestions. I'm more confused than ever.
That's why you should not listen to anyone.

Old 05-07-2019   #22
Corran

Wide-angle (17mm) plus whatever you want. More important is WHEN you are there. Just go shoot.

Old 05-07-2019   #23
peterm1

My inclination would be a wide prime and a long zoom for the best of all worlds.

Assuming the digital body is FF the Sigma 24mm f2.8 should be wide enough for those "big" shots (though I know nothing of this lens so must assume its OK in the IQ department). And I would also take the Nikon 70-210 f4- 5.6 AF D which would be my choice for a longer zoom lens. I also have a Nikkor 80 -200mm f2.8 AF D but (a) its not in your list and (B) even if it were, it's too damn big to carry on a trip away in my view especially if some hiking is involved. The prosumer 70-210mm is excellent (much under rated and unfairly so) and I usually take it with me on a D700 as a longer zoom lens option. A longer option is really valuable for dramatic image making because of its ability to compress perspective in scenes with near and far scenery in frame. Also, this specific lens is much lighter, much smaller and you are not giving away too much in IQ compared with the f2.8 alternative - it only suffering in the speed department which is not an issue in good light especially for landscape work where depth of field is usually needed.

But to be honest I would take one more lens too, primarily for low light night shots. The 50mm f1.4 AF D. I always like to have one fast lens for this purpose and for portraits and bokeh shots etc.

Old 05-08-2019   #24
retinax

When I was there with a 50 and a 35, I didn't feel I was missing out on anything, I just focused on making the best of it. In fact I think I pretty much only used the 50. Was with family and didn't have a lot of time to photograph though. Don't go without a 50, although an 85 could probably substitute for it ok.

Old 05-08-2019   #25
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
A womanís perspective ... Seeing in primes
Sigma 24 2.8
Nikon 85 1.8

that would be my choice
That would also be my choice. A nice wide for pushing perspective and a short tele for compressing it.

But like Corran said, when is more important than the lens.

Old 05-08-2019   #26
RObert Budding

No selfies along the rim - too treacherous.

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 05-08-2019   #27
NickTrop

Okay, read all suggestions. We can eliminate the 35/2, the 135/2.8, the 200/4.5 (which would actually be a dark horse consideration given its relatively small size and weight plus I just like the way it renders...). Surprised at the numbrer of 55/3.5 suggestions. Alas, that one might stay back as it's a bit of a beater-beater. One will definitely be a WA. The Tokina 17-35 (an underrated and reasonably-priced [for a WA zoom]) is small "for a WA zoom" but still a chunk of glass vs the diminutive little Sigma 24/2.8 (as good purportedly as the Nikon D equiv. optically but touts itself as a "macro" -- don't know about that but it does focus very close).

I like the Tokina -- a lot. But it might be a bit much to lug around all day. That said, 17mm is ultrawide. The Sigma -- not as wide, but decently wide and weightless, plus it can do double duty as a macro lens.

Again, decisions, decisions.

Old 05-08-2019   #28
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
If you limit yourself to only one lens, you'll take more photos and swap lenses less, also.
I grew up in the southwest and trying to get it all in, in one photo just doesn't work. The sky is too big, the earth is too grand. Both have too many colors to capture in a frame. For years the only lens I owned was a 50mm f/1.7 SMC-M attached to a Pentax ME Super. I think I had that camera about ten years before all the new shiny stuff got to me and I had to buy it. I took that tiny Pentax backpacking, on road trips, vacations, to Navy weather school, around the world on my first deployment. I was never without it until I sold it to a fellow crew-member in 2000.
Tens of thousands of dollars later, here I am and my favorite lenses are my normals, with very few exceptions.
Phil Forrest

Sounds like someone could get another Pentax ME Super and 50/1.7, or nearest digital equivalent. I have the ME and 50/1.4 and 28/2.8 Pentax M SMC lenses, and if shutter sound wasn't an issue, the ME would do 90% of what I want with film.

@NickTrop - I'd go with the 17-35 and Micro Nikkor. Wide lets you capture everything, the Micro Nikkor will let you have a normal view.

Old 05-08-2019   #29
Axel

Based on my personal preferences I would take a 50 and donīt worry about swapping
lenses. Always have to decide between compressed and pushed perspective is not my way.
Hence my choice from the available list was 17-35/28-80 which both can bring a (nearly) normal perspective without swapping.

Old 05-08-2019   #30
css9450

Why just two lenses? Are you limited by bag space?

I am itching to break the mold by bringing three...

Old 05-08-2019   #31
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

Please don't hate the messenger...

If I was going to the Grand Canyon for my first visit I'd take the Fujifilm X100F. Travel light. Enjoy the scenery, be happy. Work the hell out of the X100F's 35mm perspective. When the trip is over, look at what you've done with that camera and then plan the return trip. The second time around is when you really know what to do, what to bring... how to prepare.

Just my thoughts. Please feel free to ignor them.

Mike

Old 05-08-2019   #32
raid
Dad Photographer

Bryce Canyon, Utah.

Old 05-08-2019   #33
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Wow, LOVE it Raid !

What gear used... ?

Old 05-08-2019   #34
narsuitus

Until a large Cottonwood tree fell on my house last month, I had planned on going to the Grand Canyon next month. I had planned on taking two medium format cameras with a normal lens on one and a wide angle on the other.

If I had to choose two lenses from your list to use on a small format camera, for the normal Iens, I would pick the Nikon 50/1.4 AF-D or the Micro Nikkor 55/3.5 AI. For the wide angle, I would pick the Sigma 24/2.8 Ultrawide II AF or the Tokina 17-35 F4 ATX.

Old 05-08-2019   #35
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Wow, LOVE it Raid !

What gear used... ?
Thank you, Helen.
This is most likely a cropped image (to square format) from a Canon F1N with the old Canon FD 28-50/2.8 SSC. I used a heavy Gitzo tripod with cable release cord. I used a Pentax Digital Spotmeter. It was very cold, so I wore gloves and gloves liner, plus two hats on my head. I drove that morning from Zion National Park to Bryce National Park before dawn, and I caught dawn and sunrise at Bryce National Park. Such elements are more important (in my opinion) than which specific lens or camera will be used.

Old 05-08-2019   #36
BillBingham2

If you want to borrow a bit of a macro-sleeper, I can loan you my Nikkor 28/2.8 AIs. I think that and your 85 (well actually my old 85/1.8 Nikkor) is what I'd bring.

B2 (;->

Old 05-08-2019   #37
mbisc
Silver Halide User

Any kind of normal lens (~50mm) -- let the camera see what you see. If you need to take a second lens, either take a wide angle (if you like sweeping landscapes) or a tele (if you want to take pictures of wildlife. Here is a 50mm shot to whet your appetite:

Sunset at Hopi Point (Grand Canyon - Summer 2002)
by Mike, on Flickr

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is too short for cheap film

Flickr
----------------------------------------------------------------

Old 05-08-2019   #38
back alley
IMAGES

was this a sincere question to start with?

Old 05-08-2019   #39
Archlich

I shoot only 35mm when hiking. Because that's the point of view of the type of photography I'd like to make during such long, sometimes perilous, always personal trips.

All lenses make photographs. No one but you knows what kind photo do you want.

Old 05-08-2019   #40
Scapevision

from my Grand Canyon experience, only bring wide if you plan on hiking the bottom, or shooting crowds. Tele and normal is best. Shoot as soon as the sun has set or right before it comes up.