Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Tripod mount counter balance weight?
Old 05-30-2019   #1
mctenold
Photographer

Tripod mount counter balance weight?

This seems like an odd issue, but I was shooting an event with my M6 and my SF24D, and I kept it around my neck.

The flash was causing the camera to be off balance and fall forward and upside down when hanging around my neck, which was really frustrating to deal with all night.

In my creative mind, I'm thinking just a simple weight that I could screw into the tripod mount on the bottom may solve my issues to make the camera more bottom heavy in this scenario. Or maybe the M6 grip could work?

Any other ideas here?

Again, I know this is a very odd and one-off issue. But who knows, maybe someone else has experienced this?

Old 05-30-2019   #2
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Sure, that'll work but you'll be carrying the weight of another flash under the camera. One thing you might try is to fashion a little elastic band which would be like the rung of a ladder between the straps. This band might be a loop that you could simply slip over your flash to keep it from falling forward. The added weight would be less than two US $.25 coins.
Phil Forrest

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Old 05-30-2019   #3
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I don't think the M6 grip weighs enough to solve the problem. I have a walking stick with a tripod screw that allows it to be a lightweight monopod. I have used it with the telescoping stick collapsed so that it doubles as a grip. By lowering the center of gravity, it is a sort of poor man's Steadicam. It could be a ready-made solution for you. They sell them both in camera stores and in outdoor supply places.

Old 05-30-2019   #4
shimokita
白黒

off camera flash.... with wireless trigger.
Put the flash in a cargo pants pocket when not needed

Old 05-31-2019   #5
lcpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimokita View Post
off camera flash.... with wireless trigger.
Put the flash in a cargo pants pocket when not needed
This. Personally I use a hotshoe cable and when I need to use both hands I just cradle the flash with my left arm or just tuck it under.

Old 05-31-2019   #6
leicapixie

I believe that there has always been "Flash Brackets".
Ideal for off camera and bounce with reflector..
That what I did as pro, eons ago.
Personally I hate strobes on Leica-M..

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
The flash was causing the camera to be off balance and fall forward and upside down when hanging around my neck, which was really frustrating to deal with all night.
If you just hang on to the M6 body with one hand, it won't do that.

Another solution - mount a Noctilux on the camera. The weight of the lens would provide enough ballast to keep the camera in the upright position.