Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 06-11-2019   #41
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
I think the taping of logos thing probably started with people seeing logos taped over in TV and movies (to prevent giving out free advertising, eg. Rear Window style) and thought there must be some practical reason for doing so, since all the "pros" were doing it on TV. You don't want to look unprofessional do you?

To any knowledgeable photographer, seeing that scene in "Rear Window" brings up the immediate statement, "Hey, look at the Exacta VXIIb with the long lens that James Stewart is using!" LOL!!!

Taping up the camera means nothing to someone who actually knows cameras.

G

Old 06-11-2019   #42
Huss

There’s something extremely self important about taping up brand names in the claim of
not giving free advertising. 99.999999% of you doing this would never get paid to use gear. No-one is fooled by or cares about your gear choice. And you paid for the gear.

Old 06-11-2019   #43
nightfly

Do or do not. Who cares.

People, mostly other photographers, are curious about cameras, having or not having a logo invites or discourages attention/conversation.

Some see taping as pretension, some see overt branding as the same.

Probably no one cares but you so do whatever makes you happy.

William Gibson has a character in one of his novels that is physically allergic to branding, which I always found funny.

Old 06-11-2019   #44
back alley
IMAGES

would you (all) prefer that manufactures make bodies without names/numbers on them?

Old 06-11-2019   #45
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
There’s something extremely self important about taping up brand names in the claim of
not giving free advertising.
How so? It seems the argument about self importance is better made about those flaunting the branding. I also use a black strap instead of a branded one. Is that self important too?

Old 06-11-2019   #46
DanskDynamit

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
would you (all) prefer that manufactures make bodies without names/numbers on them?
yes, because then you don't pay the brand tax.

Old 06-11-2019   #47
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannielscom View Post
The logo on my Sony A7 is taped. The logos on my film cameras are exposed.

I like people to leave me alone and exposing the Sony logo gets me all kinds of chitchat from people who wanna discuss their own brand, be it Sony, Fujifilm, Canon, Nikon etc.
The film cameras don’t invoke a conversation, people are sufficiently intimidated by them. Every now and then somebody says ‘hey is that a Hasselblad’ when they see my exposed-logo Rolleiflex...
That`s why I do it ; that and I don`t like logos.
It`s my only photographic affectation so I`m sticking with it .

Old 06-11-2019   #48
BillBlackwell

I was in the Chicago area last year and met up with a good friend. We went to Madison, WI to shoot for the day. To my surprise he had the engraving on the top of his early Wetzlar M6 taped along with the red dot, but the "Leica M6" stamped on the front of the camera remained exposed.

I asked him about the tape - his response was - "yea, that was the last of my black tape." Then I asked - "Why didn't tape the front?" His answer was short and to the point - "I ran out of black tape". At that point we didn't discuss it any further.

I won't say my good friends name, but his initials are D.A.G.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
I don't do it, I don't care if others do it.
That about sums it up for me. The fact is, I'm not sure those who tape up their cameras always know why they do it.

Old 06-11-2019   #49
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
yes, because then you don't pay the brand tax.
You’d pay for a brand anyway, logo or no logo. Logo is just a symbol. I can’t imagine the situation you don’t pay for a camera brand. It has to be a complete commodity and cameras are not.

Old 06-11-2019   #50
andyturk

Even though there's no red dot on the front, I've had gaffer tape on my M10-P for a while. It's where I grip the body with my right hand. The cloth tape has just the right amount of stickyness and makes it easier to hold.

Although, I did just put a piece of tape on the top plate to cover the white script up there because one guy I was photographing on the street kept saying to his wife, "Honey, it's a very nice camera. Go ahead, take the picture!"

Ugh.

Old 06-11-2019   #51
Takkun
Ian M.

Wow, this blew up overnight! To those of you wondering how much brainpower was wasted over contemplating the issue on my part: not much at all; I really don't care all that much. Just thought it was an interesting occurrence that a handful of stranger-photographers felt the need to approach me and comment on my lack of tape.

I think my slight irritation comes from a professor in journalism school once mentioning the practice while shooting in Afghanistan so he'd 'look like a tourist and blend in' (you know, as a 6'3" white guy with blond hair and blue eyes and a massive EOS-1) and half the class followed suit by the end of the semester. Just seems silly and trivial in the grand scheme of things.

THen again, you all make valid points about taping up logos precisely to keep lookie-loos from haranguing you with gear chat. Might have saved me an unecessarily long conversation with a stranger asking me in detail how his new Kiev works (how should I know?). I like talking shop, but clearly not when I'm working!

I like to think my Leica is pretty stealthy as it is, but any other Leica owner inevitably gravitates over and just has to look at it. And then there was last weekend, when I took out my grandfather's TLR. Id thought a WLF would help me blend in a bit, but I clearly didn't anticipate how much interest it would draw from passerby.

currently trying to find a use for a Nikon D2.
--
my infrequently updated blog

Old 06-11-2019   #52
presspass
filmshooter

Just to take it a step farther, I have an M4 that I've owned for 40 some years. The camera still works fine, but all the leatherette, or whatever you call it, has crumbled away leaving glue residue. Sometime this year I will send it off for its semi-centennial cleaning and get a new cover at the same time. Meanwhile, I'm going to cover it with hockey tape. It sticks well, is easy to install, and has a grippy surface. Probably not going to do the top, however, so the Leica name will still glow brightly.

Old 06-11-2019   #53
ruby.monkey

I taped over the logo on my Sony A7ii because, frankly, it's unsightly; the only other tape I've used is to stop the dioptre adjustment dials on my Fuji digicams getting moved by accident, and to stop some of the lens hoods rattling.

Old 06-11-2019   #54
sleepyhead

I wasn’t “a taper” until I got a LEICA SL - have you seen how stonking big the LEICA logo is on that camera!?

...not to mention its “arresting” looks!

Old 06-11-2019   #55
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post

I’ve always found the taping-over-the-logo thing a bit pretentious . . .
I used to think the same, then I started noticing my subject starting to lean in when I'd pull up my camera to take a photo (like this) . . .

So, these days I've used a dab of gaffer's black tape over the logo and where ever I've been starting to bang the camera, just as skin.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 06-11-2019   #56
css9450

I used to stick black tape on my lens; then one day I decided to pull it off. My photos improved dramatically!

Old 06-11-2019   #57
bert26

I personally don’t like someone stopping me on the street and reminding me how nice and expensive my setup is (lots of people what a leica is regardless of whether or not they shoot) when the are junkies around and stuff. Maybe doesn’t make a difference but I felt more secure with tape even if it is just in my head.

Old 06-11-2019   #58
BlackXList

I cover logos on a lot of kit, for reflections, to reduce contrast, to make the gear more bland in appearance, because it's not about the gear.

Old 06-11-2019   #59
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Tried this ... it didn't work at all. What a con!

Old 06-11-2019   #60
jsrockit

I only use tape to keep things in place... I.E. dials that move too easily or buttons that get pushed too easily. I love Fuji, but every camera they make has something that moves too easily.

Old 06-11-2019   #61
bert26

Ohh I also put gaffer tape on the base plate to keep it from potentially sliding around when setting it down.

Old 06-11-2019   #62
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I used to stick black tape on my lens; then one day I decided to pull it off. My photos improved dramatically!
You're doing it all wrong! You need to use black tape as your lens, not on your lens.
https://www.35mmc.com/06/06/2019/tha...by-john-scott/

flickr

Old 06-11-2019   #63
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

This is great! Does Leica make gaffer tape? I only use Leica accessories on my camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
You're doing it all wrong! You need to use black tape as your lens, not on your lens.
https://www.35mmc.com/06/06/2019/tha...by-john-scott/

Old 06-11-2019   #64
oldwino

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
I think the taping of logos thing probably started with people seeing logos taped over in TV and movies (to prevent giving out free advertising, eg. Rear Window style) and thought there must be some practical reason for doing so, since all the "pros" were doing it on TV. You don't want to look unprofessional do you?

How could he handhold that thing? With no IBIS?!?

beckmeyerphotographs.format.com
current stuff https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 06-11-2019   #65
besk

I believe the tape over the writing makes the camera less conspicuous. Also,
unless a potential thief knows cameras well the tape reduces the chance that he would recognize that my camera is a Leica and worth stealing.

So count me with those who put tape of the logos and writing. I even put silver tape on a chrome M6.

Old 06-11-2019   #66
GulfCoastPhotog

Hmm have never seen a camera with logo taped and don't do it myself. I rarely buy new equipment but cost is my reason. And if I ever see one it certainly want bother me.

David

Also I will add that not to concern with anyone taking my camera, I never leave home with out my Glock.

Old 06-11-2019   #67
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

I can guarantee that tape doesn't make a camera less conspicuous. It's not like covering your head with your towell in fear from the bug blatterbeast of Trall, in that if you don't see it, it won't see you. But if you believe so, more power to you.
If you're pointing something at someone and looking at them with it, they may notice you and it is not down to the little piece of tape covering up your brand loyalty to be the arbiter of that. As for criminals who would steal your camera, they don't care what brand it is. I once saw my neighbor's car had it's rear window broken and a roll of paper towels stolen from inside the car. That's all that was taken. The thief didn't care if they were bounty, viva or brawny. Putting tape over the label of the paper towels wouldn't have prevented the theft. If something has value, it can be stolen. No one cares what brand marque you have under that tape which they will happily peel off before fencing it for $50.
So, tape away to your heart's content but know that it doesn't do a bit of good for your shooting or your security. If that were the case, I wouldn't have been shot at as many times as I was when I was in Iraq because I had tape covering up shiny and vulnerable bits of my gear. I was asked to cover logos because I was in a capacity where I would be representing the Navy in press conferences as a shooter so we didn't want to be endorsing a brand. So maybe if I didn't have the tape they would have hit their mark... Oooh superstition.
Phil Forrest

Old 06-11-2019   #68
besk

You make some good points - I just don't agree with you.

In my travels in eastern Europe I want to reduce the chances of a problem. Two years ago I had a group of young men take particular notice of my Rolleiflex. And one of them definitely knew what it was.

Old 06-11-2019   #69
TenEleven

Anyone worth his salt will immediately know what your camera is anyway. For example a M-Leicas or the above-mentioned Rolleiflex shape is so iconic that most would-be-thieves would recognize it no matter how much tape you paste on it. As do other togs, so you would still be hit up for a chat.

Then there's the laughable "stealth" factor. C'mon. What people notice about me when I'm shooting street is the 6' tall man walking towards them while looking at them... oh he also has a camera in his hand. What is tape going to change of this? Nothing. Exactly nothing at all.

Old 06-11-2019   #70
wwfloyd

I am enjoying the topic. Pet peeves are interesting, and may be shared, or debated. We all have 'em, some stranger than others.

Old 06-11-2019   #71
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by besk View Post
You make some good points - I just don't agree with you.

In my travels in eastern Europe I want to reduce the chances of a problem. Two years ago I had a group of young men take particular notice of my Rolleiflex. And one of them definitely knew what it was.

HAHAHAHA, yeah, taping up the Rolleiflex logo would make any difference.

"Oleg, take his Rolleiflex"
'Igor, don't bother, it has the Xenotar lens, we only take the ones with the Planar"
"Good point - unless he can show that Harry Fleenor CLA'd it! We'll take a Lubitel if Harry so much as sneezed on it"

People steal sh1t. The one dood may have recognized it because he is a Vivian Maier fan.

Old 06-11-2019   #72
Siluro

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
Absolutely.

Old 06-11-2019   #73
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

"Togs" now there is something far worse than tape.
Phil Forrest

Old 06-11-2019   #74
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
"Togs" now there is something far worse than tape.
Phil Forrest
I see your "togs" and raise you... "street togs".

flickr

Old 06-11-2019   #75
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
I see your "togs" and raise you... "street togs".
I fold.
Phil Forrest

Old 06-11-2019   #76
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
To any knowledgeable photographer, seeing that scene in "Rear Window" brings up the immediate statement, "Hey, look at the Exacta VXIIb with the long lens that James Stewart is using!" LOL!!!

Taping up the camera means nothing to someone who actually knows cameras.

G

That's not a VXIIb though.

As for how pointless it is, certain countries have been very strict about product placement in broadcasts in the past (as well studios wouldn't show products from competing companies) so hiding brand names, no matter how silly, has very much been a thing in movies and TV. You still see it sometimes today when they blur out a T shirt or hat on reality TV or in an on-the-street interview. Every penny a billion dollar corporation can squeeze I guess.

Old 06-11-2019   #77
Gadfly21

This debate doesn't end. But it's fun to read the reactions.

I tape up everything from my $45 Nikon F80 to a $1500 Leica M6. I have not run quantitative experiments, but in my experience, there IS a difference in how people approach you.

No, you are not more "stealthy"- I make no pretenses. Everybody will notice your camera regardless of tape or color. However, blacked-out cameras invite less conversation and embarrassing statements from every layperson around.

Nobody has once EVER pointed out my M6 when it has had tape, but as soon as that silly dot is exposed, everyone and their dad has to say the same thing: "Golly, that's a Leica? Must be expensive!". I feel that I have to play the ignoramus: "Huh, I wouldn't know" or "Nah, it's just an old film one". My friend refused to touch it when I handed it over to him to play with because it "was too precious".

The dot might not necessarily attract more attention, but it does have more celebrity.

Old 06-11-2019   #78
pyeh

I don't tape up my cameras but I do think that big white names and bright red logos and stripes are distracting to both me and the subject, and unnecessary from an industrial design point of view.
The only reason I don't tape them up or black them out is because I think tape and bodgy paint are just as distracting.

Old 06-11-2019   #79
RichC

I always tape my cameras. But not for stealth or security - I don't believe for one moment blacking out the logo makes you invisible, or that thieves are so discerning as to turn down an opportunity to nick any camera...

However, I refuse to be a walking billboard and provide free advertising! I generally remove logos I consider too prominent from anything I own.

My Sony A7R II:

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 06-12-2019   #80
Archlich

It's like a wedding ring. Which quenches the fire of anxiety.