Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 02-20-2014   #401
Argenticien
Dave

A few tests from the test roll with the MC Rokkor 85/1.7 (which arrived the day before the snowstorm in the eastern USA last week). OOF areas seem nice. First real production roll is still in the camera.

--Dave

SRT102, 85/1.7 (wide open), 1/30, Delta 400, Rodinal.

Footfalls by Argenticien, on Flickr

I practiced portraiture on an inanimate object at all apertures as part of the same test roll (and whilst snowed in anyway). Below is a montage; left half is at f/1.7, right at f/16; focus was at the eyes. DOF is narrow at 1.7, but I'm seeing OOF-ness, not bad softness, in the left half (e.g., the crown, in the plane of focus, is pretty sharp). This is Guanyin, of fame also in the camera world since in Japanese nomenclature he/she is Kwannon, whose name was put on a camera ages ago, then [email protected] to "Canon" and the rest is history...

Old 02-20-2014   #402
Zathros
Does not play well with o

I can remember when I was a kid back in the'70s, Minoltas weren't considered "Pro" grade by a lot of people I knew, but I saw our local paper's SRT 101s regularly get the crap pounded out of them by the newspaper staff. These cameras held up quite well and delivered the goods for years before needing major repair or replacement. I'm glad that I was able to build up a Minolta kit while the lenses were still cheap on the used market.

Old 02-21-2014   #403
Bill Clark

The Minolta SRT 101 was my first SLR. I bought it in the late 1960's as I remember. Only had the lens it came with when I bought it from National Camera. I thought I had gone to heaven, why, looking at what the film will see and the through the lens metering, unbelievable! I kept it until I was in the military when I had the opportunity to buy Nikon equipment, some in Japan and some in Hong Kong.

I still have the Nikon equipment and it has traveled with me until about late 2012 when I started to buy used Leica equipment. I have grown quite fond of the IIIf cameras.

Recently my wife attended a seminar in Orlando and all I brought were the IIIf cameras and one 50mm f2.0 lens. All B&W film.

Thanks for taking me down memory lane!

Old 02-25-2014   #404
hidejoshi
film user

I cant set infinity on my W rokkor 28 mm. It is piece before, but is. Some suggestions?

Cafe analogue vs cafe digital

Old 02-27-2014   #405
Nokton48

I have a 35mm F2.8 MC Rokkor, with a rather loose focus helical. I considered sending it out for repair, but in the end, I simply bought another one (cost of $38). Sometimes it is easier and cheaper to replace something, and keep or sell the old for parts. I do sometimes take my Minolta lenses apart, but usually I stop at the focus helicals.

Old 03-02-2014   #406
Archiver

I have my Dad's SRT Super, and it is an absolute tank. Not sure when he bought it, but it would have been in the late 70's or early 80's. It's in almost pristine condition, apart from the film advance lever's plastic snapped off, and the leather case totally disintegrating. Surprisingly, it has the 50/1.4, 35/2.8, and 135/2.8.

I've tried all the lenses and the 50/1.4 is my favourite, but I'm tempted to get something like a Sony A7 and adapter to use these lenses digitally. So far, I've only put one roll of film through it in the last seven years, but I might shoot some more film in the meantime.

Old 03-09-2014   #407
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

I just picked up a MC W. Rokkor-SG 28mm f/3.5 lens in pristine condition dirt cheap for my Minoltas.

Any experience with it?? I've only used the 28mm f/2.8 lens to date so I know little about it..

Checking this site http://minolta.rokkor.de/lensdesignations.htm I see this is a 7 element in 7 groups lens..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 03-09-2014   #408
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post
I just picked up a MC W. Rokkor-SG 28mm f/3.5 lens in pristine condition dirt cheap for my Minoltas.

Any experience with it?? I've only used the 28mm f/2.8 lens to date so I know little about it..

Checking this site http://minolta.rokkor.de/lensdesignations.htm I see this is a 7 element in 7 groups lens..
Colyn,
I also have the 28mm F3.5 MC W. Rokkor-SG, and it's an extremely good lens in my opinion. One of the original SRT-era lenses, very underrated and a bit of a sleeper.

Old 03-09-2014   #409
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Colyn,
I also have the 28mm F3.5 MC W. Rokkor-SG, and it's an extremely good lens in my opinion. One of the original SRT-era lenses, very underrated and a bit of a sleeper.
Sounds good. I'll give it a go on my newly bought black paint srT-102 that also followed me home..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 03-09-2014   #410
kyonthinh

Quote:

Sharp and underrated lens, I have the md rokkor later version and use it more than my 2.8 version.

Old 03-10-2014   #411
Argenticien
Dave

Quote:

I've got one as well, a few months ago. Nice lens as far as I can tell in limited shooting so far. (Seemingly none of my pics made with it are on my flickr; I'll need to rectify that.) I suppose the minor downside of it is carrying 67mm filters instead of 55mm like the newer 28s wear.

--Dave

Old 03-10-2014   #412
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argenticien View Post
I've got one as well, a few months ago. Nice lens as far as I can tell in limited shooting so far. (Seemingly none of my pics made with it are on my flickr; I'll need to rectify that.) I suppose the minor downside of it is carrying 67mm filters instead of 55mm like the newer 28s wear.

--Dave
According to this site http://home.kpn.nl/dielpeet/minolta/...8mm-lenses.htm mine is the last version designated "SG". It uses the 55mm filter size so that will work with my 55mm filters..

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 03-10-2014   #413
Nokton48

http://home.kpn.nl/dielpeet/minolta/...8mm-lenses.htm

Hey that's a great resource

Mine also takes 55mm filters.

Compact even with the original hood.

Old 03-11-2014   #414
Argenticien
Dave

Quote:
According to this site http://home.kpn.nl/dielpeet/minolta/...8mm-lenses.htm mine is the last version designated "SG". It uses the 55mm filter size so that will work with my 55mm filters..
Ohhhhh. I've got the older version (1966, according to that site) with the larger 67 mm front. Fortunately the normal lens (75 mm) on my Bronica S2 also takes 67 mm, as does the 35 f/2 Super Takumar that is my all-around normal-like lens for my DSLR. So I've got a decent selection of filters and such in that size.

Man, they made a lot of 28mm permutations in the Minolta line.

--Dave

Old 03-11-2014   #415
Austintatious

I have a Rokkor 28mm f2.5 SI (3rd version) with the radio-active elements. According to the lens chart posted above, it has 9 elements in 7 groups & takes 55mm filters.
Anyone have experience with this wide angle lens ? I have been pleased with it so far, but it is not a small lens !

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 03-11-2014   #416
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
I have a Rokkor 28mm f2.5 SI (3rd version) with the radio-active elements. According to the lens chart posted above, it has 9 elements in 7 groups & takes 55mm filters.
Anyone have experience with this wide angle lens ? I have been pleased with it so far, but it is not a small lens !

Hello,

Yes I also have the second version of the 28mm f2.5 MC Rokkor-SI with the radioactive elements. I also agree it's also a very good lens, and Yes, it is big. Last year I gave my older Son my perfect one. It's taken a while to replace it; I bought one that was -very- deeply yellow in the inner elements, and had a few other problems, but finally found another really nice one for a decent price. It also has the deeply scalloped focus ring.

Old 03-18-2014   #417
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

These things keep following me home for whatever reason..

srT_black_paint by Colyn's fotografs, on Flickr

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 03-18-2014   #418
Paulbe

Colyn--wow! That's a beaut!
Thanks for posting...
Paul

Old 03-18-2014   #419
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbe View Post
Colyn--wow! That's a beaut!
Thanks for posting...
Paul
Thanks

I've put it on a diet of Double X..

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 03-19-2014   #420
Argenticien
Dave

Gaah! Black in mint condition with no brassing! <swoon>
--Dave

Old 03-19-2014   #421
Austintatious

Colyn, where do you find these beautiful cameras ? Soooo pretty

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 03-19-2014   #422
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
Colyn, where do you find these beautiful cameras ? Soooo pretty
This one came from eBay. The seller described it as having a dead meter and non working slow speeds. Worked fine when it arrived..

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 03-19-2014   #423
mynikonf2
OEM

colyn, absolute beauty! When it comes to cameras, the black paint version is the most attractive, to my eyes.

“Light scratches consistent with age and wear”

Old 06-16-2014   #424
Nokton48

Here is perhaps the rarest of all lenses from the Minolta SRT era. The 100cm f6.3 RF Rokkor. This one is serial number 0004, and was discussed extensively on the Yahoo Minolta collector's site.

Would love to have scored it, but it went at over four Grand! My Wife said -NO-.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-Rokk...p2047675.l2557

Old 06-17-2014   #425
steveclem

Lordy, what a whopper, I'm surmising you must have a pretty fine collection of Minolta kit now.

Old 06-17-2014   #426
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclem View Post
Lordy, what a whopper, I'm surmising you must have a pretty fine collection of Minolta kit now.
Yessir, I'm quite content with my Minolta kit. For years I have concentrated on the SRT-era items, with a few later items, as I find them quite useful. For example, the 400mm MD APO Rokkor-X with matching 2X Apo Rokkor Tele-Converter, is much more useful to me, than the 80cm F/ll RF Mirror Rokkor (which I don't own). The 100cm F6.3 RF Rokkor would be like finding the Holy Grail, but, hauling a fifty-pound wooden case and lens for birding with my Wife, would be a struggle, and quite limiting, too, I would imagine.

Amazing to see such an item is such good condition. I surmise it was used for Law Enforcement, from the background given by the seller. Probably could tell some stories. Would look great hooked up to one of my SRM's and my Zone VI wooden tripod.

Old 06-26-2014   #427
Nokton48

^^ Very Very Nice Combo!

The Complete Collection of "The Minolta Mirror".
Old 07-03-2014   #428
Nokton48

The Complete Collection of "The Minolta Mirror".

I have collected every issue of "The Minolta Mirror", from beginning to end. It was their in-house magazine, started in 1975, and the last issue was 1993, one issue for each year. Beautifully printed and every issue is excellent from beginning to end.

Glad to have this collection. It has taken awhile to obtain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (48.2 KB, 23 views)

My Latest "Birding" Rig; New Gimbal Head!
Old 07-04-2014   #429
Nokton48

My Latest "Birding" Rig; New Gimbal Head!

I found this new Gimbal Head on Amazon. It arrived this morning. Hooked up to one of the SR-M's, with 400mm f5.6 Apo Rokkor-X, and matching Rokkor Apo 2X Tele-Converter. Effectively an 800mm Fll, with Apo-quality.

The new Gimbal Head and my old Zone VI Lightweight Tripod combo makes a rock-solid rig, easy to shoot, quick to deploy, and smooth-enough to track birds in flight. And not too heavy! Now, I just need to find the electronic cable release for the SR-M (somewhere down in my studio).

May go out tomorrow early morning, last week we got a green heron eating a large bullfrog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (55.8 KB, 38 views)

Old 07-04-2014   #430
Pioneer

I love reading your posts Nokton48. I enjoy using my Minolta equipment as well.

Over the years I have managed to accumulate the 400mm APO and the 2x TC and they make a wonderful set on my 102. So far I have only used it shooting kids sports but I may have to dig out my gimbal head and try to capture a few birds.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

500mm F8 Rokkor-X on my XK.
Old 07-07-2014   #431
Nokton48

500mm F8 Rokkor-X on my XK.

I just picked up this 500mm F8 Rokkor-X to use on my XK. My thought was to carry this in my camera bag, when I go birding with my Wife. I have wanted some type of Mirror-lens for awhile. And this is a perfect match to the XK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (51.7 KB, 22 views)

Old 07-13-2014   #432
estudleon

Hi. I bought an old sr-7.

The meter does not work.
Has two nicks

The rest, a marvelous camera.

I feel it like my leica m3.

All mechanical, solid and confiable camera.

The lens, an excellent auto rokkor 1,8/55 -2nd version

Old 07-14-2014   #433
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by estudleon View Post
Hi. I bought an old sr-7.

The meter does not work.
Has two nicks

The rest, a marvelous camera.

I feel it like my leica m3.

All mechanical, solid and confiable camera.

The lens, an excellent auto rokkor 1,8/55 -2nd version
Sounds like a very good find I'll bet you can get the meter going

The early Minolta SLR's have alot of allure to them. Real Honest quality construction.

Old 07-18-2014   #434
Coopersounds

just got gifted a SRT101 with MC 50mm 1.4 Rokkor.
very happy chappy.

Old 11-02-2014   #435
Argenticien
Dave

This has at times been a lively thread. Anyone?

Cape Florida Light, Door Detail. SRT102 + TMax 400. Tragically, my notes omit what lens this was, but I had only the 58/1.4 and 28/3.5 with me, so it was one of those--the former, I suspect, from the look of it.

This had some adjustment in post, but I was glad to get something usable for both the white lighthouse and the black door, given sun that seemed more EV 16 than EV 15, and finding myself out there with ASA 400 film.

--Dave

Cape Florida Light (Door Detail) by Argenticien, on Flickr

Old 11-02-2014   #436
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

An X700 I recently acquired. Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 MC lens, purchased as old stock, new-in-box, several years ago.

~Joe

P1080932a by jvcabacus, on Flickr

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 11-22-2014   #437
GarageBoy

What are nice budget wides and teles (85-135) for the MC MD lenses ?

Old 11-22-2014   #438
CMur12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
Hi GarageBoy -

The most common focal lengths are the least expensive. In wide angle, a 28mm f2.8 or a 35mm f2.8 would both be very reasonably priced. Faster lenses, such as a 28mm f2.0, and wider-angle lenses would cost more. Specialized lenses, such as the 24mm f2.8 VFC (with variable field curvature), will cost quite a bit more.

The most common and least expensive telephoto lenses would be the 135s, in f2.8 and f3.5 (the latter, very inexpensive). You should be able to get the 100mm f2.5 for a good price, also.

The 85mm lenses would cost more, as these are faster, more complex lenses. They came in f1.7 (both MC and MD) and f2.0 (a newer lens, MD only). (My favorite lens is probably my 85mm f1.7 MD.)

Among most Minolta MF lenses, the older the lens, the less it costs. Early MC Rokkors cost the least, late MC Rokkors cost a bit more, and MD Rokkors and MD Minoltas cost the most. The early MC Rokkors are all metal, while later lenses had a little more plastic, such as for the aperture ring. All were well made.

I don't think early MC Rokkors are multicoated, though they are still very good lenses and I have several of them, myself. By late MC, I think they were all multicoated, though coatings continued to evolve after that.

- Murray

Old 11-23-2014   #439
Nokton48

As Above ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
24mm F2.8 MD Rokkor
28mm F3.5 MC Rokkor
28mm F2.5 MC Rokkor
35mm F1.8 MC Rokkor
35mm F2.8 MC Rokkor

85mm F1.7 MC Rokkor
100mm F2.5 MC Rokkor
135mm F3.5 MC Rokkor
135mm F2.8 MC Rokkor

https://www.keh.com/search/list?m=4&category[]=Fixed+Focal+Length+Lenses%2C+Mfg

Here's a typical 100mm f2.5 MC. Sharp as a razor blade; a true classic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINOLTA-MC-T...item4ae08f7cb4

24mm comes in MD (fantastically useful and great performer), all of these other lenses are also available in MD, which is good, if you need shutter-priority autoexposure on your cameras. All of these lenses are excellent to collect and great to use (I have them all) and I paid $30-$250 for each, depending on condition and circumstance. All are plentiful and easy to find. KEH Ebay and even flea markets and Goodwill stores have these in stock. Personally I prefer the MC lenses, as I think the build quality is better on the MC's, and they match in age my SRT and SRM cameras.

Hard to go wrong

Old 11-23-2014   #440
Addy101

The 35/1.8 and 85/1.7 aren't budget lenses, the 24/2.8 and 100/2.5 might be considered fair. If you want to go down to 24mm on a budget, get the Sigma superwide II 24/2.8.
Oh, the 35/2.8 is a better lens then the 35/1.8.

Late MC lenses' fit fits XE/XD cameras better imho. My 50/1.4 PG Rokkor looks great on my XD7