Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

View Poll Results: Which option do you consider better for your shooting, and why?
I get the most with one camera / one lens... 131 60.37%
I have felt "more is more" and I can use well more than one camera / one lens... 86 39.63%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2014   #41
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfunnell View Post
I tend to ask myself "what's the point of an interchangeable lens camera if I never change lenses?" Especially when a change in angle of view, perhaps to explore different subject matter, seems desirable after shooting with one lens for a while.

...Mike
Dear Mike,

One point is that you can fit the lens you like, and leave it there: try to find a fixed-lens camera with a 35/1.4. Another is that interchangeable lens cameras are often better made and more versatile than fixed-lens, even if you never change lenses.

I'm not really arguing with you: just playing devil's advocate.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-24-2014   #42
Rodchenko
Olympian

I'm another who isn't that interested in either extreme. I always carry a digital and a film camera. The film cameras almost all have fixed primes, and the digitals, in the main, have zooms.

Sadly my interchangeable lens rangefinder has no lenses right now.

Neither nor
Old 06-24-2014   #43
kossi008
Photon Counter

Neither nor

While agree that less is more, I wouldn't go all the way to hailing the single lens approach as the ultimate solution.

So no vote from me.

Old 06-24-2014   #44
Rodchenko
Olympian

I'd agree that Less is better with regard to 'One Camera, One Lens' discussions.

Old 06-24-2014   #45
MiniMoke

I nearly always carry my XA and XA2 (no great deal, small and light), and the 35mm seems to do it for me. The XA with Tri-X, and the XA2 with Portra.

Sometimes I add my OM2n with a 50 or 28, but I don't like changing lenses 'in the field', so I always carry it with only one lens.

One focal length seems to work for me, usually 35mm or 28.... though more than one camera for choice of film.

I thought the Fuji X20 would give my something for all occasions, and I had it in my bag for months....... and took about 20 pictures with it. So off it went to the bay....

Now thinking about my X-E1 I sold some time ago.... and the 15mm Heliar that was practically glued to it. I liked it.... and I still got that near mint Jupiter 8 lying around...and X-E1's are dirt cheap right now....

But if ever I go that way again, I'll only take one lens with me.

Old 06-24-2014   #46
OddE
Recovering GAS addict.

I really, really am a lost case gear-wise - I am a total gearhead, always looking for the next piece of kit.

What I have found over the last couple of years, though, is that I enjoy my photography a lot more when I just grab a body and a lens or two, then head out for something to shoot.

Sure, you can fill a backpack with 3-4 bodies (just in case...) and half a dozen lenses (minimum!), reflectors, filters by the bucketload, etc, etc - and be prepared for anything life may throw at you. Only problem is, when I found something to shoot, I'd ponder endlessly which kit to use before I even got around to worrying about the composition and actually getting the shot.

So, what I've found, much to my surprise, being a gearhead and all, is that I enjoy my shooting a lot more when I just take the bare essentials and go for it. If I just carry one body and a 35mm lens (say), I'll get down to composing within those constraints right away, rather than wondering whether a 28 or a 50 or something else altogether would be best.

Nowadays? Mostly I carry my ZI and 35 Summicron, putting the 90 Elmarit in my pocket just in case I'll find something which would benefit from a longer focal length.

What minimum kit I bring, though, still comes down to what I set out to shoot; if, for instance, I am on holiday with my family, I mostly use a DSLR and a normal zoom, seeing as kids run all over the place all the time and the missus really wants to be able to see today's shots today - not sometime after we've come back home and I've gotten around to developing the films and scanning them - and she definitely doesn't want anything in black and white!

-Odd Erling - Aalesund, Norway

M4 and Zeiss Ikon ZM, 35mm and 50mm Summicrons, 90mm Tele-Elmarit // Fujica G690, 100mm f/3.5 (Nikon SLRs+lenses, too...) - Mostly streetscapes and architecture.

Old 06-24-2014   #47
Soeren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodchenko View Post
>SNIP.

Sadly my interchangeable lens rangefinder has no lenses right now.
Hmm In that case less is in fact........ less
A good argument for fixed lens rangefinders

Old 06-24-2014   #48
kuvvy

Generally I think less is more. I dont carry a heavy load around, havent done for years. Just lately Ive sold some lenses and cut back to just an 18(27) & 35(50) for my Xpro.
At the weekend I thought id try even going less with just one lens, albeit a zoom. I went to an event and took a recently purchased Fuji 18-55 zoom ouit for the first time and hated it. Gonna stick with two primes and sell the zoom.

Paul

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 06-24-2014   #49
Rodchenko
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
Hmm In that case less is in fact........ less
A good argument for fixed lens rangefinders
Oh. Absolutely. But, y'know, if you have any idea where there are a 35/2.8 and an 80/4 for an Olympus Ace going cheaply, do give me a shout.

Old 06-24-2014   #50
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodchenko View Post
I'd agree that Less is better with regard to 'One Camera, One Lens' discussions.
Elegant!

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-24-2014   #51
Rodchenko
Olympian

Thank you Roger. Elegant is not normally a word people use round me.

Old 06-24-2014   #52
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penzes View Post
This single camera and one lens thing is so overrated nowadays.

I use different camera's and lenses, even on the same day. When I know, I have to walk a lot, than I try to reduce weight, but on photographic trips I have a big bag, with a lots of gear and just pick the friend for a day for a smaller bag.

What's in the bag? by Istvan Penzes, on Flickr
What makes me think is, if a photographer considers the best possible lens is, say, a 50, and with it all his/her shots are made every day in an exclusive way, and he/she is sure about that only focal length is totally perfect and the best possible focal length/angle of view for any situation ever, (that's totally OK for me: I've done it, I've got the photographs, but I'm far from that opinion) then let's say that in his/her bag suddenly there's a 35, so, if that photographer, who yet has the beloved 50, gets less/worse photographs because of a 35 being at his/her reach, then the problem is not the gear, but the way the photographer thinks or acts...
Cheers,
Juan

Old 06-24-2014   #53
Ronald M

One should learn to exploit a 35,40, 0r 50 to the fullest.. Then keep in mind there are situations where it will not do the job, say head and shoulders portraits without cropping or needing a wide because there is simply not enough room.

Learn to walk or position yourself so as to keep in the normal range. And this goes for users of zooms also.

Old 06-24-2014   #54
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

X100, extra battery attached to strap. Of course there's more, but that's one kit.

Old 06-24-2014   #55
oftheherd

I started out with 50mm on my SLR. I soon got a 28mm and 135mm. I was happy. But I mostly kept the 50mm on the camera and shot with it when possible. When zooms got better in the mid-70s, I tried them and told myself how good they were. But I still took as many photos as possible with the 50mm. As I drifted more to other zooms, I began to thing how heavy they were, and somehow unsatisfying.

I still use zooms for my 167mt kit, but am getting to the point I will have the 50mm f/1.4 on it, and only switch when I have to, then without regret.

I don't believe in one camera, one lens. That really doesn't work well form me. But I like smaller zooms if I want to carry them. And I am getting more and more happy with the idea of primes rather than zooms.

Weight makes a difference, so the Super Press usually only goes if I can park it in my car until needed. Otherwise, folders.

Just me.

Old 06-24-2014   #56
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Dear Mike,

One point is that you can fit the lens you like, and leave it there: try to find a fixed-lens camera with a 35/1.4. Another is that interchangeable lens cameras are often better made and more versatile than fixed-lens, even if you never change lenses.

I'm not really arguing with you: just playing devil's advocate.

Cheers,

R.
That's fine, Roger. If someone finds one camera, one lens works for them, for those reasons or something else, then that's fine by me! I've even done it myself from time to time (for quite some time my go-everywhere camera was an M3 with Elmar-M 50) - for reasons of convenience, though, rather than any theoretical commitment to only using one camera and lens.

I don't mind - or care - if someone wants to go the one camera, one lens path because of some theory they hold to. More power to 'em is what I say. As long as I'm not expected to buy into the same theory.

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 06-25-2014   #57
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfunnell View Post
That's fine, Roger. If someone finds one camera, one lens works for them, for those reasons or something else, then that's fine by me! I've even done it myself from time to time (for quite some time my go-everywhere camera was an M3 with Elmar-M 50) - for reasons of convenience, though, rather than any theoretical commitment to only using one camera and lens.

I don't mind - or care - if someone wants to go the one camera, one lens path because of some theory they hold to. More power to 'em is what I say. As long as I'm not expected to buy into the same theory.

...Mike
Dear Mike,

Sure. We agree completely. My sole point was that there CAN be a reason for buying an interchangeable-lens camera and not changing the lens once you have the one you want, in reply to your "what's the point of an interchangeable lens camera if I never change lenses?"

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-25-2014   #58
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
...in reply to your "what's the point of an interchangeable lens camera if I never change lenses?
Dear Roger,

That's exactly how I understood you.

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 06-25-2014   #59
RichC

I tend to shoot with one lens only - but that lens differs depending on what I'm doing, and if I'm working on a project, I know exactly what I'll be doing! I always consider my subject carefully, and take along only that which is required for it.

I dislike telephoto and (especially!) wide angle lenses because the images produced are "unnatural" to my eye, and I prefer to capture a view more akin to human vision (interesting overview here). This drastically cuts down the lenses I need as I'm left with "normal" lenses of about 50 mm! Because of my preference for a human view, "zooming" with my feet is usually sufficient - obviating the need for zoom, wide and telephoto lenses.

If I have a precise idea of my subject(s), I'll bring just my 55 mm Micro-Nikkor or 80 mm Arax tilt-shift-rotate. The former is the lens I use most of the time, the latter I use if I physically can't take a photo (can't get close enough, don't want to stand in the middle of the road, I need to be several feet taller, etc.!).

That said, there's no point in cutting one's nose off to spite one's face! So, if I specifically go out for a day's photography in, say, a city, where I may need a bit of flexibility, I'll bring both lenses.

What I never, ever do is fill my bag with assorted crap on the off chance it may be useful! I've half a dozen Nikon lenses, and have never taken out more than two at a time - and never will! Taking too many lenses in my opinion simply means that you haven't thought through what kind of photographs you want to create or haven't thought enough about your subject. Trusting overly to serendipity is a poor strategy for good photography!

Also, there's many ways to skin a cat, and a half-decent photographer should be able to take an image that suits the equipment they have to hand - even if it's just their phone!

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 06-25-2014   #60
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
I've half a dozen Nikon lenses, and have never taken out more than two at a time - and never will!
Oh go on ...throw caution to the wind .
You`re only young once ....

Old 06-25-2014   #61
Turtle

I prefer walking out of the front door, wherever that door may be, with an empty mind. Achieving that empty mind is the first and biggest challenge.

Old 06-25-2014   #62
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I prefer walking out of the front door, wherever that door may be, with an empty mind. Achieving that empty mind is the first and biggest challenge.
Well said.
Less gear , for me , facilitates that .

Old 06-25-2014   #63
robbeiflex

I recently travelled for two weeks with M6, ME, and five lenses. It was really nice to fit everything into a small bag. Next time I will take only three or four lenses. When I go out the door I prefer to take only one of the cameras, but did have both on some days. Often either camera with only a 50 or 35 is enough for me. If not then I pack a second lens (often 28 or 15) in my pocket, day pack, diaper bag, or wife's purse. One camera, one lens is fine for a few hours but I have yet to find a single lens that meets all of my needs all of the time, and frankly don't ever expect to find it.

Cheers,
Rob
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr

Old 06-25-2014   #64
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbeiflex View Post
I recently travelled for two weeks with M6, ME, and five lenses. It was really nice to fit everything into a small bag. Next time I will take only three or four lenses. When I go out the door I prefer to take only one of the cameras, but did have both on some days. Often either camera with only a 50 or 35 is enough for me. If not then I pack a second lens (often 28 or 15) in my pocket, day pack, diaper bag, or wife's purse. One camera, one lens is fine for a few hours but I have yet to find a single lens that meets all of my needs all of the time, and frankly don't ever expect to find it.

Cheers,
Rob
Dear Rob,

YES!

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-25-2014   #65
bwcolor

75% One camera/lens
25% Two cameras/ Two Lenses... usually film and digital with 35mm lenses mounted. This weekend was A7 and FE 70-200mm and X100s... never used the X100s.

Old 06-27-2014   #66
Turtle

The sweet spot for me is 2-3 primes.

This bulk of this project http://www.thomasstanworth.com/album...A-10634171-1#1 was shot with a Leica MP with 25mm and 35mm lenses. I also had a X-Pan with 45mm.

Light, nimble, simple, flexible (enough).

Old 06-27-2014   #67
Rikard

I enjoy going light with just one prime for exploring and expanding how I see images. With two or more lenses I usually pre-visualize how I want the image to come out, chose one of the focal lengths to match that expectation and make the photograph. But with one focal length, I am sometimes forced to find a composition which I might not think of right away.

Old 06-27-2014   #68
Austerby

I have about 25 cameras and probably more than 30 lenses.

I've just come back from a two week trip around New England and took my Hasselblad 500CM with just the 80mm Planar and two a12 backs. It was great. I didn't miss having other lenses but did find the ability to change between black and white and colour, or from 50asa to 400asa film mid-roll very useful. I used around 20 rolls of film.

I had my Fuji XF1 as a pocket camera as well but didn't take that many photos - most on things like whale watching trips or evenings when I wanted the portability and low light capability.

In many cases I find I more often head out with one camera and one lens - sometimes intentionally restrictive, such as my 135mm tele-elmar on my M3, to see how it constrains me to photograph in a different way.

Old 06-27-2014   #69
seagrove
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Atherton View Post
Definitely, for me, less is more. My days of lugging tons of kit about are long-gone.
That is the point I have reached as well, Brian. No longer working as a newspaper photog and have dropped back to a pair of Fuji X-System (X100S & X-E1) with the Fuji XF 35mm and a Nikkor 85mm. Right now I am focusing on the X100S and getting used to that single focal length.

Old 06-28-2014   #70
tstermitz

My small Photorunner bag easily fits leica plus 4 lenses, and cinches tightly against my body for walking or scrambling over fences. If I had to choose one lens, it would probably be 35mm, but then I think of the way my 90mm paints color, or how my 24mm plays with angles, and I have a hard time pruning what to take.

Maybe, my smallest-yet-fexible if kit would be a Leica with 24mm & 90mm, plus a Fuji X100 for 35mm which gives me autofocus and daytime flash. (Shooting kids at close range without autofocus is pretty tricky!).

Old 06-28-2014   #71
Bingley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
One should learn to exploit a 35,40, 0r 50 to the fullest.. Then keep in mind there are situations where it will not do the job, say head and shoulders portraits without cropping or needing a wide because there is simply not enough room.

Learn to walk or position yourself so as to keep in the normal range. And this goes for users of zooms also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
The sweet spot for me is 2-3 primes.

This bulk of this project http://www.thomasstanworth.com/album...A-10634171-1#1 was shot with a Leica MP with 25mm and 35mm lenses. I also had a X-Pan with 45mm.

Light, nimble, simple, flexible (enough).
That's a fabulous album!

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 06-28-2014   #72
stillshunter
unlearning digital habits

I'd prefer to tick your one camera/one lens box, but if I'm honest I can't tick either box.

I really like the discipline of one camera and one lens.
I really wish I had the discipline to stick with one camera and one lens.

In reality, I'm culling down to 40mm (95%) and 28mm (just in case) for film. …though I might get a 90mm down the track too.
I can only shoot primes on film - a zoom lens just feels weird.

Always a second camera in the bag, in case I require instant gratification.
So it's digital and by virtue of my history, this camera is now always a zoom.
Whenever I do primes on digital I end up with no less than 4 lenses in the bag (min. -21, 28, 50, +75).
I hate the ritual of changing lenses in the field and the dust it invites back home.

Flickriver

Old 06-29-2014   #73
Turtle

I'm not sure one should learn to exploit a 35-50mm lens to its maximum, because you may find another focal length better for you. I would agree that if you cannot shoot decent photos without using ultra-wides, something is probably amiss.

The one body and one lens approach may serve a purpose when a photographer gets distracted by too much kit (or is learning the basics), but the vast majority of the world's best photographers do use a variety of focal lengths. Even HCB did, although he used a 50mm most of all. Perhaps the best example I can think of for a one lens photographer would be Paolo Roversi, but he is very rare.

'Moderation' is usually better than either extreme.

Old 06-29-2014   #74
Merlijn53

For me "less is more" does not have to mean 1 camera 1 lens.
1 camera with 2 or 3 lenses and 1 film is just as good imho. In my expirience, you use 1 lens most of the time, 1 sometimes and the other one almost never.
Problems arise as soon as you start carrying different camera systems and different types of film, just to be able to cover everything. Then you end up changing camera's and lenses all the time and miss the whole scene.
On the other hand, one Rolleiflex and one film is enough for most situations and even if it is not enough, you can take some decent pictures.
Frank

Old 07-05-2014   #75
David Hughes
David Hughes

Well, I started to read this thread, thinking it was about the way the subject appeared in the final print but it's about boring gear, again.

Less gear for me means an SLR and a zoom lens. There's some nice 28 to 85 mm zooms out there for most makes of SLR. I prefer the Tokina on the Minolta X-300. A small outfit of just one prime would be the Leica Mini III with it beautiful lens.

But when sorting out the picture in the VF or on the screen I think less is more. Fussy cluttered pictures are only for lens testing.

Regards, David

Old 07-10-2014   #76
icebear

So far my shoulder is OK carrying my Domke F6 (little bit smaller) with 2 M bodies and usually 3 lenses. Most of my shot I take with 35mm, next the 50mm and occasionally I use something wider or the 90 when I can get closer. If I had to go for one lens only, it would be the 50 Planar.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 07-10-2014   #77
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

One body and one lens worked for me for years.
But only for RF and TLR cameras.

Old 07-10-2014   #78
jjtelecaster

Less is less; but for me, it's also better.

Juan

Old 07-13-2015   #79
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

I hate to carry anything which won't fit in the back pocket of my jeans. For years I used collapsible lenses. Took me a long time to find a collapsible 3.5 Nikkor.

Now I carry an iPhone.

Old 07-14-2015   #80
craygc

Hate carrying more than 3 lenses (primes). I like a set of focal lengths where I'm not having to decide which lens would be best and always changing - each focal length has its purpose/shooting style, for me, and that limits my need to make choices. Typically, I would carry, on full frame, 15mm, 28mm & 50mm. If I only carry 2 lenses its a 21mm and a 35mm.