Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Car Boot find
Old 05-07-2015   #1
Range Loser

Car Boot find

Well you could knock me down with a feather, perusing the local car boot fair today and discovered a Nikon F3AF with 200mm AF lens. Bought it for £60, and it all works. One of the last cameras I would have expected to find.
Anyone else found an unusual camera like this..?

Old 05-07-2015   #2
GarageBoy

Really cool! the weirdo Nikon AF camera

Old 05-07-2015   #3
Huss

Never, ever find anything like that in LA. Here we have thrift shops selling broken in pieces (literally pieces) OM1s for $120...

Old 05-07-2015   #4
x-ray

Not in a while but antique stores have been good to me. I found a Leica M2 and like new IIIG with 50 Summicrom and 8 other M lenses, 2 visoflexes, ton of adapters and focusing mounts, bellows and leitz tripod and head for $1600. This was 20 years ago but even then it was an amazing deal. Everything was almost new except a 50mm sonnar ltm.

Also found 2 Nikon F bodies with 50 1.4 and standard prisms for near nothing.

Another time I found a 4x5 baby Deardorff with 210 Zeiss Tessar in a Shutter with new wooden holders for $800. The camera was nearly 50 years d but had not been used.

Old 05-07-2015   #5
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

Several years ago I found a mint Retina IIIC with case at a flea market for $18.

Old 05-07-2015   #6
FrankS

Yashica T4 for $15 at a yard sale.

3 Hensel monobloc flash units (1000 and 2x 500) for $300 at a pawn shop.

photography makes me happy

Old 05-07-2015   #7
Austintatious

I also got a Yashica T4 at a yard sale. It was only a dollar for the silver version.

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102 Pentax Spotmatic Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 05-07-2015   #8
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I found an MM in a garbage can one time. Oh wait that was a dream. I've done a couple Canon 35AFs for two bucks at a thrift store but that's all. The $25 Leica at a garage sale remains a fantasy.

Old 05-07-2015   #9
Huss

Funniest one was the Goodwill Store (thrift store) that I visited in Hawaii. They had a several years old beat up Sony digicam (I think 6mp) that they were asking $300 for.

You can buy a brand new 20mp Sony Cyber Shot for $78...

Old 05-07-2015   #10
presspass
filmshooter

Years ago, in a junk shop on a back road outside West Point, Va., a 90 mm Elmar in good shape for $7 and a 73 mm f 1.5 (I think) for another $20. Sadly, the internet has put an end to most of these finds.

Old 05-07-2015   #11
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

A Nikon F body, Serial #64650xx, for $10 at a garage sale..he posted it on Craigslist and it was still there...handed him the ten and ran to my car...
pf

Old 05-08-2015   #12
Red Robin
It Is What It Is

Two weeks ago on flea-bay I discovered my own holy grail, a Canon Camera Holder L. This idem helps to level the larger Canons on a tri-pod. Nine years ago I passed on one thinking another would soon appear. Not so the next one I saw was advertised out of Hong Kong at a mere $200. WAY out of my league.Now this nearly-new example Totaled 30.90 with shipping! I've now purchased this buy now prize leaving me with the only thing left to find being a good subject and whether having is as sweet as wanting. The adventure continues. .. ...

Old 05-08-2015   #13
Roger Hicks

A couple of weeks ago I saw a Leica R4 with motor and 50 Summicron, and a few other bits, all receipts, one owner from new, 250€ (under £200). I didn't bother because I already have plenty of cameras. I wouldn't have bought the Nikon for £60 either. Some years ago I realized that it's easy to forget that a "bargain" ain't much use unless you use it. I've bought very few cameras since!

That's just me, of course. I hope you'll use your new camera lots!

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-08-2015   #14
kshapero
Press the Shutter

While traveling thru Virginia about 10 years ago I stopped at a local Camera store. I asked if they had a any used film cameras. They had just got in a Leica IIIc with 2 Leica lens, all in mint condition. Paid $125.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 05-08-2015   #15
stonecutter

A few years ago I found a Leica M2. 50mm Summitar, 90mm Elmar at a garage sale for $25. I had to buy a lens cap for $20,so that put my cost up to $45. Sold the set at a camera show a year later for $1600.

Leica M2,M4-2,M3,M5,IIIG,IIIF, Hexar RF, Mamiya 7, Nikon F100,F6,D300(IR),D40(IR),D600++ , Zeiss, Voigtlanders and many others.

Old 05-08-2015   #16
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
A couple of weeks ago I saw a Leica R4 with motor and 50 Summicron, and a few other bits, all receipts, one owner from new, 250€ (under £200). I didn't bother because I already have plenty of cameras. I wouldn't have bought the Nikon for £60 either. Some years ago I realized that it's easy to forget that a "bargain" ain't much use unless you use it. I've bought very few cameras since!

That's just me, of course. I hope you'll use your new camera lots!

Cheers,

R.
I have way to many cameras and I know I'll never get to use all of them to the point of wearing them out...I look but I go in knowing I cannot buy another body...my latest purchase was a Mamiya 70mm 2.8 Lens Shutter type lens (I allow a lens once in a while)...the other night I started pulling gear out of the closet so I could at least shoot with the ones that had film in them...
Too many cameras, too little time...
pf

Old 05-10-2015   #17
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

I'm always amazed at what turns up in flea markets and charity shops. I'm mostly pleased when I find something at a silly (that means pennies) price.

I've bought lenses, cameras and SLR bodies for nothing more than the price of a cup of coffee (an OM body for instance) but the cameras and lenses for 49 or 50 pence are the real bargains. Trouble is, the lens caps and instruction manuals cost far more. I use the cheap caps &c but, when you get to know and like the camera, they can cost a fortune to complete the outfit. I've had even Zuiko lenses for coffee prices but the cost of a lens hood...

Regards, David

Old 05-10-2015   #18
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

The majority of the cameras on my blog were found in car boot sales (unless stated otherwise).
I suppose the most unusual find was this Fuji DL Supermini for £2...

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 05-10-2015   #19
Steve Bellayr

Nikon F2 still boxed, never used, Canon F1 never used, Nikon Photomic F2 with 50mm f2.0 lens and carrying case barely used: Total $110 in one day. But and this is the but the foam in all three need replacing. Still not bad.

Old 05-12-2015   #20
farlymac
PF McFarland

Goodwill can be a source for decent cameras, but not always. My first "big" find was a Minolta X-700 with the standard 50, an Albinar 28mm macro (which is surprisingly good), a Sigma 70-210, and one of the dedicated flashes for the X-series. I had to look all over the store, as these parts were scattered on the shelves. Total price was $10. The camera didn't work at first, but after I had gotten a replacement body, I dove into it and found a chunk of something blocking a lever in the bottom, and that solved its problems.

And what got me into LTM territory was a Yashica YF that could use some repair. Even if I pay to send it to Mark Hama, I'll still come out ahead of the buying and repair costs ($130 + ~$300). I'd fix it myself, but there are parts missing or destroyed, and Mark should be able to replace them. But I never thought I'd find a YF in this area, considering there were only between 7k and 10k ever made, most of which were sold in the home market.

So yeah, I still swing into the parking lot whenever I come up on a Goodwill.

PF

Old 05-12-2015   #21
wkkato
wkkato

My most recent find was a Nikon RF 85 mm/f 1 .5 which I picked up for $10 at a garage sale. If that wasn't good enough, I looked in the accompanying lens case and found a rare viewfinder magnifier for the Nikon M and S cameras. Some dealer has one of these listed on eBay for $1700. I haven't put any of these items up for sale because I do have quite a bad case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
--Nikon SP x2, Bessa R2S, Skopar 21/4, Skopar 25/4, Nikkor 28/3.5, Skopar 28/3.5, Nikkor 35/2.5, Nikkor 50/1.1 with hood, Nikkor 50/1.4, Nokton 50/1.5, Nikkor 50/2, Nikkor 85/1.5, Nikkor 85/2, 85/3.5 Apo Lanthar, Nikkor 105/2.5, Nikkor 135/3.5, Tanar 135/3.5

Old 05-12-2015   #22
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bellayr View Post
Nikon F2 still boxed, never used, Canon F1 never used, Nikon Photomic F2 with 50mm f2.0 lens and carrying case barely used: Total $110 in one day. But and this is the but the foam in all three need replacing. Still not bad.

Please elaborate! Sounds like quite the find.

Old 05-12-2015   #23
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
So yeah, I still swing into the parking lot whenever I come up on a Goodwill.

PF
You have different Goodwills than those in my area! (Los Angeles).
Here they charge insane amounts for completely trashed gear.

Old 05-12-2015   #24
Huss

I picked up a MF Nikon 35-70mm zoom lens at the local flea market on Saturday for $1.
It had a shattered filter on the front, and I guess the sellers thought that it was the actual lens. Took it home, removed the filter, the glass under it is in perfect shape!

My first and only decent flea market find! Maybe my luck is changing..

Old 05-12-2015   #25
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
.....My first and only decent flea market find! Maybe my luck is changing..
I hope the first of many, but in any event......

One in a Row!!!!! (;->

Congrats.

B2 (;->

Old 05-12-2015   #26
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Some years ago I realized that it's easy to forget that a "bargain" ain't much use unless you use it. I've bought very few cameras since!
I'm more like you Roger, but this particular find (the OPs) can generally be sold for 6-10 times more than he purchased it for... that could be worth my time.

Old 05-12-2015   #27
CliveC

Yashica T4 Super for $6
Olympus Stylus Epic for $8
Minolta Maxxum 5000 + 85mm 1.4 for $30.

Bargains are much fewer and farther in between even compared to two years ago though. Doesn't stop me from trawling the thrift shops though.

Old 05-12-2015   #28
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
The majority of the cameras on my blog were found in car boot sales (unless stated otherwise).
I suppose the most unusual find was this Fuji DL Supermini for £2...

Hi,

Now that was a find. It's one I'd like to find if only to discover if th prices elsewhere are justified.

Regards, David

Old 05-12-2015   #29
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I picked up a MF Nikon 35-70mm zoom lens at the local flea market on Saturday for $1.
It had a shattered filter on the front, and I guess the sellers thought that it was the actual lens. Took it home, removed the filter, the glass under it is in perfect shape!

My first and only decent flea market find! Maybe my luck is changing..
Hi,

Well, luck's something you have to work at. Like buses they (finds) come along in threes then nothing for ages. So I'll wish you luck.

Regards, David

Old 05-12-2015   #30
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I'm more like you Roger, but this particular find (the OPs) can generally be sold for 6-10 times more than he purchased it for... that could be worth my time.
No question! But quite honestly it has to be at least $100 profit before it's worth the hassle, and probably $200. When I was younger, I'd chase quite modest profits. But not any more, the more so as $100 today is maybe $10 thirty years ago.

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-12-2015   #31
chambrenoire

Last year I was at a local car boot sale and found a Voigtländer Bessa II 105/3.5 Color-Skopar, with external viewfinder + lens hood + filter + case, all mint in perfect working condition for a real steal: $12. Couldn't believe my luck..

Old 05-13-2015   #32
oftheherd

I've mentioned before getting two Contax 50mm T* f/1.4 lenses for $20 each, then two weeks later two more for $15 each. Before that I got a Pentax SV and a Rolleiflex plus two nowhere cameras for $25 total. All I could afford and there was no way I thought the seller would agree, but he did.

As others have mentioned, there are still bargains out there, but they are getting harder and harder to find. But it would have to be something really special for me. I have too much now that I am unlikely to ever getting around to using.

Old 05-13-2015   #33
farlymac
PF McFarland

The last time I went home, one of my nephews told me about a Crown Graphic outfit he bought for $50 at a yard sale (camera w/lens; extra lens and boards; 6 film holders; flash gun; and the case). He flipped it on eBay for $270.

PF

Old 05-15-2015   #34
konicaman
konicaman

Car boot sale, Konica TC - "..,ohh it is defunct, you can have it for £4". Yes, it was defunct, but the 40mm pancake lens was in like-new-condition.

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Old 05-15-2015   #35
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by konicaman View Post
Car boot sale, Konica TC - "..,ohh it is defunct, you can have it for £4". Yes, it was defunct, but the 40mm pancake lens was in like-new-condition.
HI,

Yup, been there and done that too. I got the t-shirt but don't wear it as I don't want too many people to be competing with me. The other bargain is cameras without lenses or jammed because the battery has died when it was fired. Not mentioning any names...

Regards, David

Old 05-15-2015   #36
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

I found a Heiland Pentax H2 at a goodwill for $10 once. I think that is probably my best thrift store camera buy.

Old 05-15-2015   #37
leica M2 fan

I've never had your kind of luck with a quality camera or lens but I keep hoping.

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Old 05-15-2015   #38
Nokton48

I bought a pair of Plaubel Makiflexes for 200 bucks at Midwest Photo about twenty years ago. One had an automatic Plaubel lens on it. Just sitting on the glass counter one Saturday morning and I didn't hesitate.

It started my collecting itch for this camera system. See my avatar. Lots of pix on flikr.

Old 05-15-2015   #39
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I bought a pair of Plaubel Makiflexes for 200 bucks at Midwest Photo about twenty years ago. One had an automatic Plaubel lens on it. Just sitting on the glass counter one Saturday morning and I didn't hesitate.

It started my collecting itch for this camera system. See my avatar. Lots of pix on flikr.
Oh, how I used to love rummaging through their basement.

PF

Old 05-17-2015   #40
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Talking about car boot finds, today i got a Nikon F90 loaded with Kodak Gold 200 for the grand total of..... £8 (bargained from £10).

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram