Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR

Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR Smaller than full frame digital Leica M mount cameras. The Ricoh is included as a less expensive and viable digital Leica M lens platform.

Ricoh GXR (anyone still shoot it?)
Old 06-02-2015   #1
Tom hicks

Ricoh GXR (anyone still shoot it?)

How many still use their GXR ? , or has it been put on the back shelf.
I don't use mine much , but it not from it not producing wonderful files.
With 300 plus cameras I just cant shoot them all.

1st image was with the P10
2nd with the S10
3rd with the A12 M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R0010067.jpg (37.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg R0010360.jpg (38.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg R0010500.jpg (28.6 KB, 46 views)

Old 06-02-2015   #2
kuuan
loves old lenses

Hi Tom,

yes, some around here still using it, I am using the M module and the forum dedicated to it is the most active concerning the GXR, not only photos taken with the M module are shown there:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...play.php?f=162

Old 06-02-2015   #3
zuikologist

I use mine in all guises, but mostly M module and S10, mainly as a digital notebook and for travel. This is still a very capable camera, the UI is excellent as is build quality.

Old 06-03-2015   #4
drinkingeye

Using it since its introduction. just bought a third GXR body and a 2nd M module.... They are getting rare to buy new... Very capable camera, just love the concept.

Canon 7s, Canonet Giii 17, FED 2, Zorki 4, Yashica Lynx 14
Hassy H1 H3DII
501c, Bessa III 667, Pentacon Six TL, Plaubel Makina 67, Bronica RF
Leica III,IIIc,IIIf, M9, M Monochrom, MP, M6TTL, M4, M2, M3
Pentax (D)SLR

Old 06-03-2015   #5
agfa100

I have a RX-1 since the used price has come down, but I still use the GXR usually with a 50mm lens on the M-module so it makes a nice two lens package. But I must say the RX-1 gets more use.
wbill

Old 06-06-2015   #6
carlosecpf

I've been using it far less than it deserve... mainly due to my inability to focus and take sharp pictures with it regularly.

Ricoh GR
Ricoh GRX + M Module
Leica M8u + Leica MM - Rokkor 40mm f/2.0, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Zeiss 28mm f/2.8, Summilux 35mm ASPH, M-Hexanon 21-35mm Dual lens, Rokkor 90mm f/4

Old 06-06-2015   #7
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I used the Ricoh GXR quite a lot in 2011 (using all three A12 camera units: 50 Macro, 28, and Camera Mount with M-Mount lenses) and up through 2013. It proved quite a capable machine and inspired my return to Leica gear... I bought the M4-2, CL, and then finally the M9 based on how much I was enjoying using M-mount lenses again.

Ricoh GXR A12 Camera Mount fitted with 1960 Hektor 135mm f/4.5

After I'd acquired the M9, however, and then acquired the new Olympus E-M1 in Fall of 2013, and then the Sony A7 in 2014, I used the GXR less and less. After I upgraded the M9 to the M-P, I realized I no longer needed the GXR and sold the system (just like I subsequently sold the Sony A7 system as well). I've kept the Olympus system; it makes a good complement to the Leica M.

One of my favorite Ricoh GXR photos taken on the Isle of Man during my UK travels in Fall of 2011:

Ricoh GXR A12 Camera Mount fitted with M.Rokkor 90mm f/4

G

Old 06-06-2015   #8
yoniDar

Yes, still shoot with the GXR A12 and 4 Cosina lenses, Rayqual (Nikon F) adapter and a bunch of Nikkors including macro and longer lenses with TC's, tubes and achromats.

I use the GXR for stationary subjects and deliberate photography. While the image quality is very good+ the camera is slower in operation than my goto Fuji X system.

I was miffed Ricoh never made a follow-up to this camera.

Old 06-07-2015   #9
Tom hicks

if anyone has the electronic view finder for sale let me know.

Tom

Old 06-08-2015   #10
Tom Diaz

Tom, there's a viewfinder on sale on ebay at the moment. Kind of expensive. However, to me this makes all the difference when using the GXR equipment (or any camera). I still use my GXR stuff, usually with the M mount and sometimes with the 24-85mm lens. I got it originally as a backup body for use with M lenses. It fills that role well, especially with the electronic viewfinder combined with the focus peaking.

Tom

Old 06-08-2015   #11
Tom hicks

Thanks Tom , yes I have been watching ebay. the one that is listed has has a spot of the viewfinder and I'm just not willing to take a chance on it . I missed or waited to long on one last week that is now gone . I did pick up another body wit p10 lens and a12M.

Old 06-08-2015   #12
Tony Whitney

I did a magazine shoot of a 2015 Mustang GT only the other day with one of my GXRs, using 28 and 50 AF lenses. The results were great, as they always are with that rig. With the flip-up EVF it's easy to get low angle shots without grovelling around in the dust. I also have a second outfit with the M module and use that with Leica, CV, Minolta and FSU lenses. I've had great results with both variants - they're rugged, they perform very well indeed and Ricoh's innovative lens and sensor changing system is outstanding. It's great gear and I have no plans to sell it just to buy equipment that's only nominally better...TW

Old 06-19-2015   #13
ascherjim

The GXR with the M-mount was my principal camera for many years. However, I have recently acquired an Epson RD-1 for use with the same M-mount lenses, and that is my currently preferred camera -- I love the look of its photos (I shoot only black-and-white) which are "different." The GXR is now my back-up camera. I'd toyed with the idea of "moving up" to a Leica M8, but came to the realization that the GXR already presently achieves for me -- in desired image quality -- all that an M8 would do. So, why bother. (Now, if I were willing to spring for the cost of a Monochrom, that would be another matter.)

Old 06-22-2015   #14
giellaleafapmu

I use mine, I have two bodies, the 28mm module and the M module (which I use with a Minolta lens).

GLF

Old 07-03-2015   #15
tb_a

Still happy with my set of GXR and planning to use it as long as I can.
I have got 2 bodies, Mount, 28mm, 50mm, P10, VF2 and GF1.
I didn't find any better camera so far for the use with RF lenses. GXR-M is best from my point of view and for my needs. I mainly use the whole range of Voigtlaender M39/LTM lenses (12 to 75mm) and some Leica and/or other RF lenses on it.
Although I have additionally some other cameras like e.g. the Sony A850 and the Pentax K20D both with a very extensive set of lenses besides a NEX and a Lumix MFT camera, the GXR is my all time favorite for manual focus photography. Recently I even discovered how nice the 28mm GR lens is for typical vacation shooting. Although I had a variety of lenses for the Mount available I preferred to use the GR lens and got quite nice and usable results.
Maybe I will look for another spare copy to be on the safe side for future use.

Old 07-03-2015   #16
rbelyell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
The GXR with the M-mount was my principal camera for many years. However, I have recently acquired an Epson RD-1 for use with the same M-mount lenses, and that is my currently preferred camera -- I love the look of its photos (I shoot only black-and-white) which are "different." The GXR is now my back-up camera. I'd toyed with the idea of "moving up" to a Leica M8, but came to the realization that the GXR already presently achieves for me -- in desired image quality -- all that an M8 would do. So, why bother. (Now, if I were willing to spring for the cost of a Monochrom, that would be another matter.)
exactly the same experience, almost word for word except that i love the rd1 color rendition as well because of its ccd sensor. i will add i loved the ricoh, loved the feel of it and the rendering. i hate manual focusing by first pressing a button, then magnifying then focus peeking, just too much for my simple brain. having a real and simple rf focus and the 1:1 optical vf are the main reasons i switched to the rd1. but i stayed because of the filmlike results. ):

Old 07-06-2015   #17
chrisso

Just bought a GRX and M Module.
I've found the manual focussing impossible using the LCD screen in daylight. Luckily I bought a VF2 viewfinder too.
Is it possible to change the colour of the peaking? With objects reflecting light in sunlight, the white peaking is sometimes hard to differentiate.

Old 07-06-2015   #18
kuuan
loves old lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I've found the manual focussing impossible using the LCD screen in daylight. Luckily I bought a VF2 viewfinder too.
Is it possible to change the colour of the peaking? With objects reflecting light in sunlight, the white peaking is sometimes hard to differentiate.
no, no change of color, nor sensitivity, of the focus peaking on the GXR.

Nevertheless I find the focus peaking on the GXR M much more reliable than the one of my Sony NEX5n which can be adjusted choosing 3 colors and 3 sensitivities.
On the NEX I must choose low sensitivity when using a rel. fast lens, medium and high sensitivities would show much more in focus than actually is. In case of a rel. fast lens that has rel. low contrast the focus peaking, set at low sensitivity, in enlarged view, may disappear altogether though.
The EVF on the NEX has higher resolution than the one on the GXR, that is with enlarged view, as compared on the Ricoh, I can see much better if in focus without relying on focus peaking. In comparison the lower resolution EVF of the Ricoh means that I can't see as clear if in focus or not without the focus peaking, but on the plus side I can rely on the focus peaking!
- The non-customizeable focus peaking on the Ricoh more precise, in total I can't easily say which system I find better for manual focus, if so than rather the Ricoh's

Old 07-08-2015   #19
moreorless

I actually just picked one up for street/casual use with the 28mm and 50mm modules. Its a bit ironic that the very thing that seemed to turn a lot of people off in the earlier days(having to rebuy the same sensor) actually makes it cheaper today since I'd imagine the lenses themselves would cost more, the whole lot only cost 250. Its not even that the sensors are that outdated, maybe there not ideal for large landscape prints but noise performance really hasn't improved a great deal since then on APSC.

I wouldn't have paid the premium back in the day but it is a nice bonus just how easy they are to switch as well, much moreso than conventional lenses to the degree constantly changing them a few times isn't an unwelcome hassle.

Its a point often made but it is definitely the best handling smaller mirrorless body I'v used, even moreso relative to the older models that would be in the same kind of price range.

Old 07-09-2015   #20
Griffin
Grampa's cameras user

I have a GXR with M-Mount module that is my main camera. Love it to bits, especially the ability to tweak the ooc jpg's. Yes, I shoot jpg.

I have an adapter to shoot Pentax K-mounts, Canon FD's and will get a Nikon adapter so I can try the 24/2.8 that's collecting dust.

The one thing I'm not too happy about sometimes are the skin tones. Seem to be a little pink/magenta-ish.

Old 07-09-2015   #21
DrTebi
Slide Lover

I shoot mostly film, but when I need that instant satisfaction, I still use my GXR with the Macro A12 and sometimes with the wide-angle A12 module.

The Macro module is actually quite useful for "scanning" medium format negatives/positives, at least good enough for screen presentation.

After having played with a few other digital cameras, including the Olympus OM-D, a Sony RX-100, and a Nikon D810, I still find no other digital camera more user-friendly and better layed-out than the GXR. Too bad Ricoh doesn't do more digital stuff, imagine a Ricoh full-frame camera...
Ricoh GXR with the A12 modules for the instant gratification.

All my favorite analog images are on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drtebi/

Old 07-10-2015   #22
moreorless

Hard to rate the controls against something like a D810 as the in tensional use there is so different. Compared to small pocketable mirrorless alternatives its definitely the best I'v used though fitting in the core setting without menu diving AND actually having a nice one handed grip. It helps they didn't scrimp on the controls, every button and dial feels well made.

Old 07-10-2015   #23
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTebi View Post
After having played with a few other digital cameras, including the Olympus OM-D, a Sony RX-100, and a Nikon D810, I still find no other digital camera more user-friendly and better layed-out than the GXR. Too bad Ricoh doesn't do more digital stuff, imagine a Ricoh full-frame camera...
We'll sorta get a Ricoh-backed full-frame camera, the soon to be released Pentax FF digital.

Old 07-10-2015   #24
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

Heads up, 5 lightly used GXR A16 kits for $325/best offer here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321786455015...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://rhl.photography

Old 07-10-2015   #25
rscheffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I found the other focus peaking mode - the monochrome 'predator vision' mode - to be quite effective. I mapped it to the Fn2 position and assigned image magnification to Fn1. It was pretty quick to toggle between the two.

So this thread inspired me to power up my GXR for the first time in ages. Battery is still showing at full power too. Looking at the images on the memory card, the last time I used it was almost two years ago to the day...

Unfortunately, I discovered just now that my EVF doesn't work at all anymore. Well, I'm not entirely sure it's the EVF, but have no way of checking. Back a couple years ago the EVF image was extremely posterized, to the point where it was almost unusable. Like a bad 8-bit 1980s video game. I was able at that time to try the EVF on another GXR, where it worked perfectly. I suspect it's the EVF port on my GXR body. With it being modular, all I'd need is to find another body... But it's pretty low priority at the moment. As much as I like the camera... I'd love a 24MP module for it. But then the camera would probably be even slower than it is now, which is one of the few things I didn't like about it.

Old 07-11-2015   #26
Scope79

I love my Ricoh GXR its the only DIGITAL camera I have.

rscheffler; in my opinion, EVF is the weakest part in the whole GXR system , I heard that it fails quite often , the problem is in the flexi cable , try moving it up and down and see if Image flickers and comes back, you might be able to find a good contact position tape it and use it that way.

Old 10-08-2015   #27
iaeaix

Have not used it for a while, the last time using is was I wanted to use Super Angulon, GXR A12 M is the best compatible digital back for that lens so far.
Thinking about to sell couple of M modules... I have 3 of them.

Sent from my DMC-CM1 using Tapatalk

Old 10-08-2015   #28
BorisPDML

Ricoh GXR-M is my primary camera, since I think 3 years ago. Thanks goes to Godfrey who sent me some RAW files for looking at and got me convinced.

My set is: two bodies - one for me and one for my daughter/backup. Two AF modules - 50mm and 28 mm for my daughter and two M-mount modules for me. I also have EVF, but as of recently I almost never use it.

I would gladly buy more M-mount modules and maybe one more body just for backup.

Old 10-08-2015   #29
CliveC

Still use and love mine. Added the 28mm module a while back and it's great too. Need to get the A16 and also the A12 50mm at some point. Have two GXR bodies right now.

Old 12-03-2015   #30
laurentb

Just got mine, so I guess "yes", I'll be using it. Love the ergonomics with a Nokton "classic" mounted.

Old 12-12-2015   #31
laurentb

I started "playing" with mine this week, and love the camera, although I have to get used to handling in low light, as stability is an issue for me.

Old 12-12-2015   #32
raid
Dad Photographer

I missed "the best deal", Robert. Is the A16 module the best on the market for the GXR?

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-13-2015   #33
Tom Diaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I missed "the best deal", Robert. Is the A16 module the best on the market for the GXR?
The 24-85mm A16 is a very good lens, if that's the one you're asking about. However, it is a little slow to use, since it has no controls at all on the lens body. You do everything with on-camera buttons and rocker switches, and the power zoom button is OK but not real fast. So, you'd be happy with the image quality, but it might not be your favorite user.

Other than the M mount, my favorite is the 50mm macro. I also like the 24-72mm infrared unit that I got on ebay, although I have an infrared-converted m4/3 camera I like better.

... Hmmm. Actually I think the main excuse for the existence of this whole system is the M mount. Everything else has some coolness, but there are better alternatives. The GXR M still may be the best digital alternative to a Leica M body.

Tom

Old 12-17-2015   #34
photonaturally

I still use mine often, usually with the 28mm A12 or leica m A12
Still enjoy using the camera.

It is hard to pick between that and a fuji XM-1. but the GXR usually wins because it is so compact.

Old 12-17-2015   #35
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

The A16 was the last module released, and the only 16mp lensor. That was why I flirted with getting one of those eBay $325 kits, to have a nice dedicated zoom starting at 24mm on a body whose operation I understood well.

But I'm not a zoomer at heart nor required by work to be one; and my GXR days were over once Fuji X could do the same work better--and I now have in its 16mm/1.4 a much faster 24mm.

The M module was great. So was the 50 macro (33/2.5). But I always got the best from the GXR with the evf mounted, especially with ZM/CV lenses, and would advise any late adopters of this orphaned system to get one, though they show up rarely and ain't cheap (unlike the GXR body).

I may have written this elsewhere, but I think it best to try a GR or earlier GRD before adopting a GXR and the extras it will entail. The UI is consistent and so predictive of the GXR haptics, but in a complete pocket-rocket. If you love the GR/GRD, you may like the GXR's system capabilities--and be able to pick up the A12 50 and M and the A16 for good prices.

http://rhl.photography

Old 12-17-2015   #36
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Never should have sold my GXR kit, up til this day people are attracted by the B&W portraits I show in my weddings portfolio, while the B&W portraits done with the D700 don't attract as much attention... Gotta get me some extra work and save up for a kit again

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 12-18-2015   #37
kanzlr
Hexaneur

same here, the GXR is my only digital. I use the 50mm and 28mm equiv modules as well as the M-Mount. IF I use digital.
the GXR still has the best focus peaking (mode2) around and produces superb files.

Old 12-18-2015   #38
Rick Waldroup

I have thought about this system for a while. I owned a GRDII for about a year. I purchased it for a specific project and loved the camera, especially the snap mode. Do any of the modules or the camera body have this snap mode?

Old 12-18-2015   #39
vladimir
vladimir

I got my GXR as a backup for Leica M9 in 2010 and boy was it needed. M9 and some lenses made an extended trip to Germany for repairs. Then come a M9P that was latter sold with a plan to get a Sony FF, but that did not happed, so M 240 arrived 18 month ago. Camera is OK, but battery and then charger failed. In all that time I enjoyed using GXR with Leica M lenses, GXR has been a great little camera without any problems, love it.

Old 12-18-2015   #40
Pete B

20151129-R1035383-Edit by Pete, on Flickr

Ricoh GXR 25/4 Color Skopar

I took mine out on a wet day. I don't use digital but I didn't want to get my Leica soaked when changing lenses. It's this sort of scenario for which I bought the GXR. Being able to swap lenses without exposing the delicate internals of a digital camera is wonderful.
Pete