Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica General Discussion / News / Rumors

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

What is it with the magnetic Leica attraction?
Old 07-26-2015   #1
rpavich
Registered User
 
rpavich is offline
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 139
What is it with the magnetic Leica attraction?

What IS it about the Leica name that makes grown men do irrational things like lust for an 8 year old Leica M8 when they have a perfectly fine R-D1x that they love?

There is just SOMETHING that Leica is putting in the water that makes rational thought impossible when it comes to ownership.

I have an Epson R-D1x that I dearly LOVE and it's giving me great images. I love everything about it, and yet I've spent the better part of a morning (from 1:30am, I get up early) to now (4:15am) surfing the threads pertaining to M8 worship.

What IS this sickness that Leica can, and does induce???
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #2
mfogiel
Registered User
 
mfogiel's Avatar
 
mfogiel is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Monaco
Posts: 4,658
I can't comment on M8, as I in cameradom don't buy disposable electronics, but Leica has the sexiness that other cameras seldom do have. The closest thing that comes to my mind is a Rolleiflex TLR.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #3
brbo
Registered User
 
brbo's Avatar
 
brbo is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich View Post
I have an Epson R-D1x that I dearly LOVE and it's giving me great images. I love everything about it, and yet I've spent the better part of a morning (from 1:30am, I get up early) to now (4:15am) surfing the threads pertaining to M8 worship.
After all this surfing you probably know that between the M-8 and R-D1x, Leica is not the "irrational" one. It's a better camera in almost every way for not much more money.
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #4
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,556
Leica = rangefinder

Rangefinder = Leica

This is RFF!
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #5
astro8
Registered User
 
astro8's Avatar
 
astro8 is offline
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 56
Posts: 553
Not all that long ago I was in the same position as you rpavich.

I wanted an M8 after I had my R-D1 for a while for no good reason really, other than it was a Leica.

I'm glad that I managed to stave off digital Leica lust as it allowed me to buy a couple of M2's along with some classic Leica lenses. I also added a Rolleiflex.

Looking back, having an M8 would not have improved my photography. I feel it would have had the opposite effect for the type of photographs I like take - b&[email protected], (mainly) indoors, low light, night, dark and moody.

The R-D1 has remained my favourite. It's fun, it co-operates, I take chances with shots that I never would with my other cameras. It feels a part of me as I'm using it. There isn't much thought process going on as I compose and shoot.

I love the thing. I'll never sell it. If it breaks, I'll buy another.
__________________
-Greg

My RFF Gallery

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #6
rpavich
Registered User
 
rpavich is offline
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
After all this surfing you probably know that between the M-8 and R-D1x, Leica is not the "irrational" one. It's a better camera in almost every way for not much more money.
Lol...except that I HAVE read the threads comparing the two and no...it's certainly not a slam dunk at all.

I don't want to turn this into an argument thread about the M8's superiority..I was just musing on the "magnetism" of the Leica cameras.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #7
jonmanjiro
Moderator
 
jonmanjiro's Avatar
 
jonmanjiro is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Yokohama
Posts: 5,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich View Post
I was just musing on the "magnetism" of the Leica cameras.
You probably realise this already, but hanging around this place is not gonna help at all!

I'm speaking from personal experience here... as I managed to resist the Leica magnetism for the first couple of years, vowing to stick to my Nikon rangefinders, but I eventually caved and now I have more Leica gear than Nikon rangefinder gear
__________________
flickr
Instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #8
brbo
Registered User
 
brbo's Avatar
 
brbo is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich View Post
Lol...except that I HAVE read the threads comparing the two and no...it's certainly not a slam dunk at all.
Use what you have, then.

Unless you are begging RFF folks to talk you into M-8. I'm sure they can...
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #9
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives
 
shadowfox's Avatar
 
shadowfox is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,801
Own one and be done.

In my case, a Leica M4-P.
The only digital Leica M that would buy is the one that can only take B&W pictures, whatever that's called ME, MM, M34245100, something like that

There are so much more to explore in the world of photography other than Leica.
__________________
Have a good light,
Will


  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #10
FrankS
Registered User
 
FrankS's Avatar
 
FrankS is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada, eh.
Age: 62
Posts: 19,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich View Post
What IS it about the Leica name that makes grown men do irrational things like lust for an 8 year old Leica M8 when they have a perfectly fine R-D1x that they love?

There is just SOMETHING that Leica is putting in the water that makes rational thought impossible when it comes to ownership.

I have an Epson R-D1x that I dearly LOVE and it's giving me great images. I love everything about it, and yet I've spent the better part of a morning (from 1:30am, I get up early) to now (4:15am) surfing the threads pertaining to M8 worship.

What IS this sickness that Leica can, and does induce???
What is it with the worship of the Epsom rd1x? It's all the same. Use what works for you and don't fret over what others choose.
__________________
my little website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

photography makes me happy
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #11
rpavich
Registered User
 
rpavich is offline
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Use what you have, then.

Unless you are begging RFF folks to talk you into M-8. I'm sure they can...
No..not at all. I was just wondering what kind of witch-doctor mojo the Leica name has to make someone who has a perfectly fine rangefinder lust after a Leica?

But since you brought it up.... lol
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #12
rpavich
Registered User
 
rpavich is offline
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
You probably realise this already, but hanging around this place is not gonna help at all!

I'm speaking from personal experience here... as I managed to resist the Leica magnetism for the first couple of years, vowing to stick to my Nikon rangefinders, but I eventually caved and now I have more Leica gear than Nikon rangefinder gear
I'm starting to realize that!
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #13
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,122
M8 has much better crop factor and much higher resulution.
This is the reason why it costs just reasonably more comparing to Epson.

OP, seems to have no money shortage, with buying of two Epsons and Leica lens.
This thread indicates what M9 is making its way already
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #14
rpavich
Registered User
 
rpavich is offline
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
What is it with the worship of the Epsom rd1x? It's all the same. Use what works for you and don't fret over what others choose.
The thread was supposed to be sort of lighthearted...I guess I missed the mark.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #15
rpavich
Registered User
 
rpavich is offline
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
M8 has much better crop factor and much higher resulution.
This is the reason why it costs just reasonably more comparing to Epson.

OP, seems to have no money shortage, with buying of two Epsons and Leica lens.
This thread indicates what M9 is making its way already
Lol...Oh I have a shortage...

I'm desperately trying to get rid of my other Epson! (and then pay off the credit card.)

But the siren song of the M8....
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #16
Bill Clark
Registered User
 
Bill Clark's Avatar
 
Bill Clark is offline
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota
Age: 71
Posts: 2,504
Can brass be magnetic?
__________________
I make photographs as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #17
FrankS
Registered User
 
FrankS's Avatar
 
FrankS is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada, eh.
Age: 62
Posts: 19,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich View Post
The thread was supposed to be sort of lighthearted...I guess I missed the mark.
Yeah, I missed that. Thought it was another Leica bashing/sour grapes kind of thread.
__________________
my little website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

photography makes me happy
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #18
jwicaksana
Jakarta, Indonesia
 
jwicaksana is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 590
What irrational thing? It's all completely rational..
__________________
Cheers,

Jonathan

MOXS Photography

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwicaksana
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #19
hendriphile
Registered User
 
hendriphile's Avatar
 
hendriphile is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 369
It doesn't apply only to men! My fiancée was a Nikon/Miranda/Minolta user for many years, still loves her F4 and RB67, but got interested in Leica after seeing some things I was doing with my M3 and trying it out. Then I got her a digital M and vintage Summilux and the slippery slope started. We went to a local store that sells accessories and used gear in order to buy a filter for her Miranda, and before you know it she's looking at a 32-year old R4. It was just so attractive and felt so good in the hand that she negotiated the purchase of it without having a lens to go with it. The owner of the store said, "The former owner treated it with love, but after all these years, let me keep it for a day and I'll put new seals in it." Next day we went back to pick up the body and she ended up negotiating the purchase of a 60mm macro- Elmarit. So now she has a nice Leica kit for under $700. "I always wanted a film Leica since getting to know yours, and this reminds me a lot of my old Minolta and has Leica glass," she says. Now she has her eyes on a 19mm Elmarit.
Gadzooks! What have I unleashed?
__________________
"It's so heavy! And it's full of numbers!" --- teenaged niece upon meeting my M3.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #20
rpavich
Registered User
 
rpavich is offline
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Yeah, I missed that. Thought it was another Leica bashing/sour grapes kind of thread.
Nooo....not here.

I might lament the price but it is what it is.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #21
rpavich
Registered User
 
rpavich is offline
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendriphile View Post
It doesn't apply only to men! My fiancée was a Nikon/Miranda/Minolta user for many years, still loves her F4 and RB67, but got interested in Leica after seeing some things I was doing with my M3 and trying it out. Then I got her a digital M and vintage Summilux and the slippery slope started. We went to a local store that sells accessories and used gear in order to buy a filter for her Miranda, and before you know it she's looking at a 32-year old R4. It was just so attractive and felt so good in the hand that she negotiated the purchase of it without having a lens to go with it. The owner of the store said, "The former owner treated it with love, but after all these years, let me keep it for a day and I'll put new seals in it." Next day we went back to pick up the body and she ended up negotiating the purchase of a 60mm macro- Elmarit. So now she has a nice Leica kit for under $700. "I always wanted a film Leica since getting to know yours, and this reminds me a lot of my old Minolta and has Leica glass," she says. Now she has her eyes on a 19mm Elmarit.
Gadzooks! What have I unleashed?
Wow...she's a keeper!
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #22
daveleo
what?
 
daveleo's Avatar
 
daveleo is offline
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: People's Republic of Mass.
Posts: 3,686
"Rational" ? . . . . I think probably 25% of my photographic purchases you would call rational. Maybe 10% !
Some things you just do and write them off as life's little adventures.

You don't want to die and look back and say ..... "I should have bought one of those years ago".
__________________
Dave

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #23
B-9
Devin Bro
 
B-9's Avatar
 
B-9 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,128
I couldn't pin it Rob, everytime I looked at the RD, it felt like something was missing.

Although the RD is a pleasure to hold and use!

It may be that the Epson looks so much like a Bessa R, you feel a little cheap (although cheap is not exactly a RF word)
__________________
Made in Michigan

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #24
rpavich
Registered User
 
rpavich is offline
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
I couldn't pin it Rob, everytime I looked at the RD, it felt like something was missing.

Although the RD is a pleasure to hold and use!

It may be that the Epson looks so much like a Bessa R, you feel a little cheap (although cheap is not exactly a RF word)
I know..it's like when I played guitar.

Gibson is the top-o-the-heap in the Guitar world (electric guitar)

I always salivated for one, and have bought literally HUNDREDS of others that were worse, the same, or much better....

But the problem is when someone says: "oh...I see you play guitar...what i's that...a Gibson Les Paul?"

You have to say: "...no...it's not a Gibson..."

and they say "...oh....(with this look on their face like you just farted)


And as they are walking away you must say "...but it's better than a Les Paul! You aren't paying for the name..."


But they are already gone....
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #25
Michael Markey
Registered User
 
Michael Markey's Avatar
 
Michael Markey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Blackpool ,England
Age: 68
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Yeah, I missed that. Thought it was another Leica bashing/sour grapes kind of thread.

Yep so did I .. but then I don`t appreciate the dilemma because I never did care for the design of the RD.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #26
Lss
Registered User
 
Lss is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich View Post
What IS it about the Leica name that makes grown men do irrational things like lust for an 8 year old Leica M8 when they have a perfectly fine R-D1x that they love?
It's not the name, it's the camera. Anything better is considerably more expensive.
__________________
Lasse
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #27
ray*j*gun
Registered User
 
ray*j*gun's Avatar
 
ray*j*gun is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia area
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
After all this surfing you probably know that between the M-8 and R-D1x, Leica is not the "irrational" one. It's a better camera in almost every way for not much more money.
I agree. The M8 is a bargain IMO and really a fine camera that does B&W better than damn near anything digital.

Also, however I do confess to the lust of the Barnack version of the magic. I own too many and am always on the lookout for another must have LTM Leica.
__________________
Raymond
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #28
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker
 
Phil_F_NM's Avatar
 
Phil_F_NM is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 42
Posts: 3,906
My Leica M4 has no magnets.

Phil Forrest
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #29
Ronald M
Registered User
 
Ronald M is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,486
Leicas were cool. Much of the cachet is gone with digital as other cameras have similar to equal imaging.

They used to be quiet and reliable. They tend to be neither now. They are fattened up for sensors so the nice feel is gone. The electronics is garbage compared to my Nikons.

There be diehards who will buy an M because that is what we always used. I have an M8 and 9P.

I used to use film Pentaxes and switched to Leicas because of the image quality. They are definitely not the same. With digital the gap is considerably more narrow.

They are nice to carry as they are small.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #30
Michael Markey
Registered User
 
Michael Markey's Avatar
 
Michael Markey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Blackpool ,England
Age: 68
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
Leicas were cool. Much of the cachet is gone with digital as other cameras have similar to equal imaging.

They used to be quiet and reliable. They tend to be neither now. They are fattened up for sensors so the nice feel is gone. The electronics is garbage compared to my Nikons.

There be diehards who will buy an M because that is what we always used. I have an M8 and 9P.

I used to use film Pentaxes and switched to Leicas because of the image quality. They are definitely not the same. With digital the gap is considerably more narrow.

They are nice to carry as they are small.
I think that's a good summary.
Digital has certainly narrowed the gap and confused the issues too I'm minded.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #31
aizan
Registered User
 
aizan's Avatar
 
aizan is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 4,548
- they're well made and designed.
- a lot of great photographers have used them to do their work, so buying a leica means you have the equipment to do great work, too.
- they are a sign of wealth and taste.
__________________
Ugly Cameras
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2015   #32
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich View Post
What IS it about the Leica name that makes grown men do irrational things like lust for an 8 year old Leica M8 when they have a perfectly fine R-D1x that they love?
Sounds more like a rare burst of logical thinking

The M8 is worlds above the perfectly nice RD1x, and both versions are among the best cameras in the world today, in the right hands.

M8 will never be a classic because of some loud film snobs who have never gotten over the initial shock of a digital Leica, and more important the crop. OK the need for external filters was a bit much LOL Funny enough, the slight crop makes the camera sensational with lenses like the elmarit v3, which the M9 hates.

This is to everyone's benefit as the camera is now a true steal.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2015   #33
giganova
Registered User
 
giganova is offline
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich View Post
What IS it about the Leica name that makes grown men do irrational things ...
They invented the 35mm format and have been making high-precision mechanical/optical cameras for ~100 years. Many people simply appreciate these little mechanical masterpieces -- especially in this fast-paced digital throwaway culture we all live in. The high price points gives them the aura of exclusivity, which makes people who own them feel more "special".
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015   #34
dee
Registered User
 
dee's Avatar
 
dee is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: M25 south UK
Posts: 1,861
I bought my M8 with an inheritance simply because I wanted a digital ANALOGUE vintage style camera !
I use it with a 1950s Summitar and adapted to a Contax Mounted 1959 J3 gifted by Brian Sweeney .
There is nothing remotely rational about this - rational was buying a Minolta XD7 with the excellent 50 f1.4 rather than the sexy Leica version.
__________________
Amedeo Contaxed Leica M8 + Brian Sweeney J3 + Helios .CV 35mm f2.5 Fed 50 collapsible
Classic Leica Dig3 / Panasonic L1 Olympus zooms
Quirky Pentax K-S1
Fuji X-Pro 1 and X-M1 joined by neat X-T1

Contax/Kiev hybrids - Contax II silver /tan , Contax III + Kiev IV meter etc , Contax II , Kiev shutter from parts camera .
Minolta SR1s/SR7v/SRTs various !

Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' dee'structive dee'sorientation contained.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015   #35
mdarnton
Registered User
 
mdarnton is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,262
I'll be honest about it: for me it's the dorky early-1900s aspect of the system. Who else, until the last wave of stuff in the 90s or so, had a "system" where all the lenses looked totally different from each other and looked like they came out of someone's basement machine shop, for instance. When I started adding a lot of Nikon SLR stuff I started keeping my lenses in baggies, because I couldn't identify which lens I was reaching for by touch anymore as I could with my Leica stuff, which I kept in the cut and seamed-off tops of old socks. There's a certain charm to a system where you can look at the evolution as you can see the additions on an old farmhouse, and Leica is the last camera with that look, still.

As far as function goes, I don't care much. Give me something that feels good in the hand and has the basics of lens opening/shutter speed/focus/film, and I'm happy.
__________________
Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
Mostly 35mm: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdarnton
Large format: http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeldarnton
What? You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015   #36
Peter Wijninga
Registered User
 
Peter Wijninga's Avatar
 
Peter Wijninga is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,983
As a rangefinder user, the analogue Leica's are not my favorite: they are heavy; you can't see the ISO of your film on the camera; exposure compensation is a joke; bottom feeding film is a headache. The digital M-E produces good results but in comparison of the Epson R-D1X, it fails....the Epson produces many more keepers in ''AE'' mode than the Leica does.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2015   #37
MCTuomey
Registered User
 
MCTuomey's Avatar
 
MCTuomey is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: U.S.
Age: 65
Posts: 3,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
- they're well made and designed.
- a lot of great photographers have used them to do their work, so buying a leica means you have the equipment to do great work, too.
- they are a sign of wealth and taste.
and they're sexy as a camera can be

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
M8 will never be a classic because of some loud film snobs who have never gotten over the initial shock of a digital Leica, and more important the crop. OK the need for external filters was a bit much LOL Funny enough, the slight crop makes the camera sensational with lenses like the elmarit v3, which the M9 hates.

This is to everyone's benefit as the camera is now a true steal.
Buy an M8. Add a ZM biogon 28 and c-sonnar 50. The James Brown of Leica kits.
__________________
--Mike

My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2015   #38
Range-rover
Registered User
 
Range-rover is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,142
I purchased one a few month a lovely M8 and I think it's terrific, all they did
was take a M7 and stick a digital back on it, and every time I go out and take
pictures with it, it's It's like a different photo experience less in the way of
taking that picture.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2015   #39
tennjed
Registered User
 
tennjed is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 6
I just purchased a 56 year old M2 that is in great shape. I do not know if it has had a recent CLA, but it feels and operates as though it is going to operate for another 50 years. My 50+ year old M3 is off for CLA. I expect it will be as nice as the M2 when I finally get it back. My grandchildren will be able to ponder this very same question, i.e. Leica mystique, as they fondle these very same cameras.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2015   #40
Rayt
Registered User
 
Rayt's Avatar
 
Rayt is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,836
I can shoot very fast with M rangefinders. I can compose, focus and shoot faster than anything else. With AF SLR I have to worry about focus points. I don't know why others choose Leica but for street there is no better alternative....for me.

Where are the magnets? Are they to keep film flat?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:48.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.