Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Business / Philosophy of Photography

Business / Philosophy of Photography Taking pics is one thing, but understanding why we take them, what they mean, what they are best used for, how they effect our reality -- all of these and more are important issues of the Philosophy of Photography. One of the best authors on the subject is Susan Sontag in her book "On Photography."

Time Article: "The Next Revolution in Photography Is Coming"
Old 08-27-2015   #1
jsrockit

Time Article: "The Next Revolution in Photography Is Coming"

What do you guys and gals think of this?

http://time.com/4003527/future-of-photography/

Old 08-27-2015   #2
f16sunshine

These types of articles and conversations always bring me back to one thing.

Photography is about the subject. Without a subject who cares?

Nothing about that will ever change.

It's easy to get the impression that we live among a generation of engineers and makers that believe technology drives everything.
It may be true to some extent but it's not an absolute.
Photography has become more accessible as a result of tech (digital capture, sharing, etc..)
Much of the rest of technologies influences will likely be revealed as "fads" as time goes by.
Not to be too redundant.... the subject makes the photograph. Not the other way around.

Old 08-27-2015   #3
mfogiel

I am holding my breath for the moment when you will make a portrait and the camera will come back with complete and accurate analysis of that person's thoughts. Could be useful before you vote...
Meantime, I am increasingly content with becoming part of an obsolete alternative film picture recording, with no extra insights, unless you make YOUR brain work...

Old 08-27-2015   #4
harpofreely

Apparently, if there is one thing deader than photography, it's editing. I think this is about the 3,721st consecutive article I've read online that has basic proofreading errors: "The digital sensor replaced to optical record of light with a computational process that substitutes a calculated reconstruction using only one third of the available photons."

Like Marek above, I am increasingly content with becoming part of an obsolete alternative - to just about everything.

- Henry David Thoreau

Old 08-27-2015   #5
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

After scrolling it through to realize what I'm limited ESL person to deal with dopeheads language, my impression is - this Time's article is even more dopey comparing to another popular source here, which is PetaPixel. Both are completely unrelated with photography I'm interested in.

Old 08-27-2015   #6
uhoh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
If they don't care enough to proof their articles, why should we bother reading them?
Have you ever read Newton?

However, I see no news in that article.

Old 08-27-2015   #7
JP Owens

The vast majority of "photographers" (of which I'm a member) are now engaged in an elite leisure pursuit called "real photography," subsidizing pure tech companies through purchasing ever more expensive computers with lenses. We write and comment on articles like this, despite their irrelevance to anyone outside of our "faith" communities.

"Photography" is simply irrelevant in the 21st century to almost everyone, despite the billions of bits of eye candy uploaded to social media sites each year.

/Rant mode off/

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 08-27-2015   #8
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Owens View Post
The vast majority of "photographers" (of which I'm a member) are now engaged in an elite leisure pursuit ....

/Rant mode off/
Oh good, now I know I'm "elite". I always wanted to be elite.
Actually in regard to photography I'm a fraud. Couldn't take a good picture to save my life. Just like tinkering with old cameras, that's all.

Old 08-27-2015   #9
krötenblender

Another techno-addict that mistakes a small hype and some additional technological possibilities with Revolution. Although I'm a techno-addict myself, I can't stand these naive type of articles of people, who think, talking techno-**** can replace reflection and substance and who have an attention-span the length of a twitter message. Next week this guy can't remember his own words and will talk about another absolute historic and uniq revolution that has no comparison since the invention of wet plates. I like every development, that contributes to photography and peoples ability to express their visions. This article was no positive contribution to anything.

Old 08-27-2015   #10
Pioneer

Photography has a slightly different meaning and perspective for everyone of us who engage in it. Some of those meanings are very close so they become difficult to differentiate, but they do differ.

This article by Mr. Mayes (I believe he is a Mister but that is also becoming subject to differing opinions) is quite a bit removed from my own observations and experiences so it will take some study to identify any points where the two of us may share the same perspective. However, based on my first, very quick, review, I am not real sure that it is worth the effort.

Regardless, he is more than welcome to practice his idea of photography to his hearts content. I doubt that I'll spend any of my money on his photographs though.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 08-27-2015   #11
Don Craig

Might as well tell us the bicycle is dead. Public transportation is coming.

I don't care, I like my cameras.

Old 08-27-2015   #12
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
These types of articles and conversations always bring me back to one thing.

Photography is about the subject. Without a subject who cares?

Nothing about that will ever change.

It's easy to get the impression that we live among a generation of engineers and makers that believe technology drives everything.
It may be true to some extent but it's not an absolute.
Photography has become more accessible as a result of tech (digital capture, sharing, etc..)
Much of the rest of technologies influences will likely be revealed as "fads" as time goes by.
Not to be too redundant.... the subject makes the photograph. Not the other way around.
I don't think photography has ever just been about the subject (if by "subject" you mean whatever is in front of the camera). Most photography I find interesting involves the subject as a starting point, but then layers on top of that the photographer's imagination/style preferences/intentions.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 08-27-2015   #13
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Nice article. I picked up on two concepts there: human imagination and data collection. Photography has always been about these two things. The article is I think just pointing out that with technology evolution comes gains in ability to manipulate the data to suit our imaginations. I'm very much enjoying watching this evolution... really quite amazing! :-)

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 08-27-2015   #14
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
I don't think photography has ever just been about the subject (if by "subject" you mean whatever is in front of the camera).
Content and framing are the essence of traditional photography in my opinion... content being the subject.

Old 08-27-2015   #15
f16sunshine

It goes to show how a title can create an anchor point for readers.

If the title changed the word "revolution" for "evolution", ... would the reception be different?

Old 08-27-2015   #16
paulfish4570

sad, sad, sad little Time magazine is a shadow of its former, sad, sad, sad bigger self.

Old 08-27-2015   #17
aizan

i got bored reading the article, and i couldn't really tell what issue he's trying to address or what his argument about it was. sounded like the same old same old. for those who have read it in full, is it worth a second look?

Old 08-27-2015   #18
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

If the article focuses on the advancement in digital imaging without encumbering it with this "photography is gone" fluff, then it is actually quite interesting.

The photo superimposed with weather radar info is quite cool.

Old 08-27-2015   #19
daveleo
what?

About the article as written: an over-exagerated (sp?) internet blog writing style.

The title of the article is actually "The next revolution... is coming." . . . and my response to the title is "Of course it is. What does not evolve continuosly?"

Old 08-27-2015   #20
Roger Hicks

Drivel. The author is of course a well known photographer with a deep knowledge of both the technical and aesthetic aspects of photography, and we are all familiar with both his pictures and his writings. He's a born manager -- and I do not use the description flatteringly.

As f16sunshine pointed out, it's low-grade clickbait.

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-27-2015   #21
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

I wonder if people ever get tired of announcing impending revolutionary changes all the time.

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 08-27-2015   #22
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauffray View Post
I wonder if people ever get tired of announcing impending revolutionary changes all the time.
That would be a revolutionary change in the media...

Old 08-27-2015   #23
BlackXList

"A born manager" is a wonderful term, I'll be using that.

I thought the article was unintelligible.

Old 08-27-2015   #24
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Random pedantic jargon.

Edit: Make that "Arbitrary Pedantic Jargon." That's closer to what I meant.

Old 08-27-2015   #25
Dpingr1

"The first step is to stop talking about the child it once was and to put away the sentimental memories of photography as we knew it for all these years."

Why must I put away what I love? I have no problem with computerized imaging at all, though I shoot mostly film. And of course, the nature of photography is evolving, as it has done since the days of Niépce. Why that places an artistic or moral imperative on us to move through some arbitrary rite de passage into photographic adulthood is beyond me. As an educator, I hear this stuff all the time -- if you don't embrace technological change, you're already a dinosaur. Usually, it comes from someone trying to sell something. What this writer is trying to sell is typically used as fertilizer around my part of the world. Dumb, unnecessary, and very pretentious.

Old 08-27-2015   #26
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

I didn't even realize Time still existed.

Old 08-27-2015   #27
zauhar

A breathless narrative from someone who knows lots about nothing in particular.

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 08-27-2015   #28
icebear

I am not making an effort to read the entire article...
This is already enough BS laden to stop reading
[Failure to recognize the huge changes underway is to risk isolating ourselves in an historical backwater of communication,
using an interesting but quaint visual language removed from the cultural mainstream.
]

We are on RFF here right? Not really mainstream in the first place.
So couldn't care less about the whole article.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 08-27-2015   #29
Shirley Creazzo

If a new technology for the delivery of images will make photography obsolete; then the invention of the of the camera would meant the demise of paintings.

Last edited by Shirley Creazzo : 08-27-2015 at 18:32. Reason: omissions

Old 08-27-2015   #30
Ranchu
-

I couldn't get through all the forced, extended metaphors, like someone screeching in my ear. Terrible writing. Isn't petapixel the usual purveyor of this kind of ****?

Old 08-27-2015   #31
Richard G

Hey, he or the editor did at least keep "unimaginable" from occurring in the second half. I can't help thinking of maybe Gore Vidal on was it Jack Kerouac(?), "Not so much writing as typing."

Old 08-28-2015   #32
krötenblender

The mindset of the responses to this collection of buzzword sentences (so called Time "article") is what makes me love RFF.

(And despite the Smiley, there is no irony in my words here.)

Old 08-28-2015   #33
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu View Post
I couldn't get through all the forced, extended metaphors, like someone screeching in my ear. Terrible writing. Isn't petapixel the usual purveyor of this kind of ****?
And then, of all things, it was Petapixel, who posted this response to the time article. Not originally, it's a repost, but they took that one, instead of something like the Time article...
http://petapixel.com/2015/08/27/the-...f-photography/

Old 08-28-2015   #34
nongfuspring

Out of all the two pages of posts in this thread there are none that actually respond to the content of the article at all.

The point of the article is to talk about the use of metadata in photography the and (now virtually unlimited) power of post processing which is changing our relationship to the medium by (further) undermining the idea of facticity in photography. These ideas surely can't be controversial to anyone, what is getting everyone's backs up is that it has been bookended by clumsy and vaguely threatening sounding metaphors.

Nobody is coming to throw your Tri-X down the toilet, nobody is pooping on your hobby, please relax.

Old 08-28-2015   #35
Richard G

Derek: "Yeah, well, fortunately for you, not too many people I know... read your little Time magazine, or whatever it's called." Zoolander

Old 08-28-2015   #36
JP Owens

Photography is, at best, the creation of abstract artifacts. Handwringing odes to increasing abstraction seem pointless. Just snap photos of whatever you like using whatever you have.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 08-28-2015   #37
esearing

From the same magazine that brought us the coming ice age in the 70's to global warming in the 2000's .... Yeah I believe every thing they write.

We interact with computers and graphical user interfaces in a different way than we interact with a photograph. The creation of visual information/commercial imagery, vs an artistic photograph are also different mindsets. Tools used are only relevant to the creator.

oh and FYI... Al Gore's timeline for the end of the world is less than 6 months away. Make sure you stock up on film.

Old 08-28-2015   #38
johnnyrod
More cameras than shots

Proof that media articles are more about headlines than content, were it needed. I re-started in photography last year having never heard of a rangefinder, and it's been a brief but fast journey. At the moment (for me) I think photography is like art, only the actual picture taking bit is quite quick, unlike painting, but the same composition, story-telling and so on is still there - and there are some great examples of this kicking around this forum. So as said a numebr of times above, the medium itself is really secondary - you can do a sketch with a piece of chalk you found outside, or a mass-produced 21st century pencil, it's still a drawing of the same thing that will be good or bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Earley View Post
I didn't even realize Time still existed.
That's so deep I can't think of a suitable reply.

Old 08-28-2015   #39
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zauhar View Post
A breathless narrative from someone who knows lots about nothing in particular.

Randy
i am assuming you know who the author is?

Old 08-28-2015   #40
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

I can't even read that thing - on Chrome it displays without a scroll bar. If the content is as flawed as the coding, simply forget about it...