Color Film / processing
Old 09-11-2015   #1
tennis-joe

Color Film / processing

There are fewer and fewer places to get color film developed as most of the Walgreens drugstore in Houston have dropped processing color film. I might have to switch to B&W and develop my own negatives and scan them. Have two digital cameras that are okay but I have always loved film since I was a little kid. Now what to do with my M and the rest of my rangefinder cameras. I guess I could purchase a Leica M8 or M9 and use my lenses but then with the problems of the M9 maybe cured???? I would have to sell 3 M's and 3 IIIgs.
Are there still places like Seattle Film Works still developing? I just searched for them on the web and they are out of business.
Drat!

Old 09-11-2015   #2
edge100
-

If you're willing to develop your own B&W, why not develop your own colour film? It's just as easy (if not easier).

Old 09-11-2015   #3
mf4361

^IIRC, color film developments requires a more precise temperature control. You might need a stainless steel development tank and develop it in a water bath.

Old 09-11-2015   #4
Pete B

If I lived in the States, I'd send my stuff here:
http://www.richardphotolab.com/

Pete

Old 09-11-2015   #5
Don Craig

I've been using The Darkroom in San Clemente, CA. They develop B&W or color, scan to a disk, upload to a website for you, return negatives, make prints if you want them. Also cards, photo books, etc.

Old 09-11-2015   #6
goamules

The fast answer to your question is yes, there are still labs that process color. Just fewer and fewer. I'd say as long as there is color film, there will be a place to develop it. But the trend is rapidly collapsing - when people in every city discover they cannot develop in a "1 hour" shop, they quit film. Eventually, I predict there will be about 3 labs nationwide. And you'll pay and get what they give you.

Old 09-11-2015   #7
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Even for old and very limited M8, I have to pay equivalent of years and years with bw and cinefilm in bulk and home processing.

C-41 is not a problem to develop, if you have no problem to develop and scan BW.
It isn't big deal at all since you are scanning, not printing. WB is adjustable in PP after scan.

I ditched C-41 for color with M. Prices are stupid, no bulks.
I'm using expired cinefilm in bulks for color in 135 film format. Same results as C-41, if not better.
Developing is same as C-41. The remjet isn't big deal at all.

Old 09-11-2015   #8
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

It's worth it to make a darkroom and do your own black and white! My darkroom is just 6 x 13 feet, in the basement, and I can turn out up to 16 x 20 prints if I want. I don't shoot much color film either, these days. Black and white is what I do with my Leicas.

Or, you can develop the film without much of a darkroom, and scan it! Me, I'd rather wet-print.

Old 09-11-2015   #9
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post

C-41 is not a problem to develop, if you have no problem to develop and scan BW.
Developing is same as C-41. The remjet isn't big deal at all.
Home development is certainly preferable to using a one hour lab. Either do it oneself, or use a professional dip and dunk lab, which is obviously expensive.

Old 09-11-2015   #10
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

Send your C-41 to Precision (a sponsor here)... Develop and scan, good jpg scans, reasonable prices.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 09-11-2015   #11
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

I'm pooling my C-41 rolls to be sent to http://indiefilmlab.com

I want to give them the support.

Old 09-11-2015   #12
bayernfan

Send your film to Photographique in Dallas. Their processing prices are excellent, they are incredibly quick to develop and ship back. I know the owners personally, awesome people. They work closely with professional photographers that use film as their primary medium.

http://www.photographique.com/

Old 09-12-2015   #13
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-joe View Post
Are there still places like Seattle Film Works still developing? I just searched for them on the web and they are out of business.
There are dozens of different excellent options for you.
Just have a look at that very informative thread:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=137289

The labs recommended there are almost all doing both E6 and C41 development.

And developing E6 and C41 at home is also not difficult at all.

Old 09-12-2015   #14
jwicaksana
Jakarta, Indonesia

I've faced the same dilemma about a year ago. In fact I sold all my color stock and shoot all BW film. Then some guys started opening their own 'lab' and doing their marketing via instagram and such, catering mostly to film shooters 20-30 years of age. Most of them would pool all the color films and have it processed at a lab, then they scan it. The BW are all processed in house. One even hand develop BW, C41, and E6, which is not common here. I use him for my personal projects. And finally we see some interesting development, a pro lab that offers developing, scanning, contact print, for up to 4x5!! This is their website: http://www.soupnfilm.com/

FWIW, if we are shooting for a client, we send our film to FIND Lab. Most of the film shots on our website below were done by them.

Jonathan

MOXS Photography

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwicaksana

Old 09-12-2015   #15
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

I do my own C-41 at home. The Tetenal kits are easy to use. It's actually easier and faster to develop C-41 than B+W. You just need to rig up a water bath (I use a small styrofoam drink cooler) and a good thermometer. The instructions are quite strict about temps during the development stage, but even then I've varied my temperature a few degrees either way and no harm done.

I'd say doing C-41 at home is about as hard as making pasta carbonara or a good Béchamel sauce.

Old 09-12-2015   #16
1750Shooter

Both Blue Moon Camera & Machine & Pro Photo Supply in Portland, OR do a great job on color developing & printing up to 8x10. Like Blue Moon better because they seem to be more flexible.

Old 09-12-2015   #17
philcycles

I just found 4 places in your area using google.

Old 09-12-2015   #18
Tom hicks

Joe , it's very very easy, like others have said it's easier than color . I use the unicolor kit 2 liter size from freestyle. I get on average 40 rolls of 35 mm from it . Temps are not a problem. send me a pm we can talk on the phone .

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...lop+color+film

Tom from dallas tx.

Old 09-13-2015   #19
kingqueenknave

You can send your film to Blue Moon Camera and Machine in Portland. They develop, and they're one of the last labs with optical machines for C-prints. Well worth it.

Old 09-13-2015   #20
kiss-o-matic

The only thing that sucks about color kits is they don't last as long as B&W. I destroyed a few rolls doing it at home. It's easy enough, but if you don't have a lot that needs to be done at once it gets risky. Otherwise, piece of cake.

Old 09-14-2015   #21
Fotohuis

Maybe not so many people know that it is easy to re-generate a mini lab kit like Rollei Digibase C-41 or Tetenal.

Even after 4 months you can re-use it. The worst part is the Phenylene Diamine in the C-41 developer (part C) which can go bad.

When making 300ml fluid using in rotary for a Jobo 2523 tank (270ml minimum volume) every time when doing two C-41 films again you dump 100ml old and make 100ml new and re-using the whole 300ml again and again.
But you do not have to use the Starter again because this is used only once when making a complete new fresh kit (300ml) and then the Starter is used to rippening the C-41 developer for the first time and it has then the capacity of approx. 5-6 films.

In this way you can make 10 (C-41) films from a 0,5 liter kit within 6-8 months.
And use Protectan (Tetenal) on the C-41 developer and parts A-B- and especially C.

Old 09-17-2015   #22
tennis-joe

Well I got my roll of film developed and made into a CD. $26.00 cost which is too much. The scans were great and in great detail.
But in looking for another place, I may have found it for $10.00 but they only run on Thursdays. I can wait for that for the reduced price.

Old 09-19-2015   #23
jho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B View Post

Pete
I've tried many mail in labs and I use Richard Photo Lab if not processing myself. They are pros.

Old 09-19-2015   #24
barnwulf

I send all my film, b/w and color, to NCPS in California for processing and scans that are returned on a DVD. They do very nice work at a reasonable price. - jim

http://www.northcoastphoto.com/

Old 09-19-2015   #25
Nathan King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B View Post

Pete
For color film, Richard Photo Lab is the BEST! Every time I receive my scans it's like the operator could read my mind and determine the look I was after for every frame. Uncanny, really.

Old 09-20-2015   #26
edge100
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf4361 View Post
^IIRC, color film developments requires a more precise temperature control. You might need a stainless steel development tank and develop it in a water bath.
You don't. I say this with thousands of rolls of C41 and E6 worth of experience.

Old 09-20-2015   #27
edge100
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_novatron View Post

I'd say doing C-41 at home is about as hard as making pasta carbonara or a good Béchamel sauce.
Agreed. And E6 is as easy as making risotto:

http://mfphotography.ca/blog/2014/3/...making-risotto

Old 09-21-2015   #28
Fotohuis

I have a Jobo CPA-2 with elevator. All color development is a piece of cake then.

With different tanks up from 2523 (two 135-36 or four 120 roll films) till multitank-5 (5 135-36 films or 10 120 roll films). Sheet film in a 2509N reel too.
Also very handy for bigger prints in the 40x50cm paper drums.

It is a very universal processor bought in a time everyone wants to get rid of it. After some refurbishment, new re-circulation pump motor and a new elevator in 2010 maybe again suitable for another 20 years.

Old 09-21-2015   #29
charjohncarter

I sometime wish I lived in the Netherlands.

Old 09-22-2015   #30
Fotohuis

Quote:
I sometime wish I lived in the Netherlands.
Well darkroom materials are very cheap. Meopta enlargers are throwing away even sometimes a Magnifax 4A (6x9cm). Cheap Durst too, even M605 models.

This CPA-2 was also for free around 2010. But of course to put it working again costs some efforts and the spare parts at Jobo in Germany are expensive.

Old 09-23-2015   #31
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge100 View Post
Agreed. And E6 is as easy as making risotto:

http://mfphotography.ca/blog/2014/3/...making-risotto

+1.

Another way to your risotto :

http://www.lomography.com/magazine/275355-tutorial-tetenal-colortec-e6-3-bath-kit-develop-your-own-color-slides#likes?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=link&u tm_campaign=magazine