Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Rolleiflex CLA - Wenzel Horst??
Old 02-22-2017   #1
stompyq

Rolleiflex CLA - Wenzel Horst??

I'm in the market for a Rolleiflex 3.5F and have been offered an exceptionally clean one that has been CLA'd by Wenzel Horst. The CLA is a major plus and the only reason I'm even considering the camera (the price is high). I have never heard of him. Anyone use him? experiences? I really don't want to buy this and send it to Fleenor a month later

Old 02-22-2017   #2
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Never heard of him -- I bet his name actually is Horst Wenzel (European custom often is to list last name first). Is the name inside the camera somewhere, or did the seller give you that name? I ask because for all we know, if it's a name found in the camera, the CLA could have been done a long time ago, and Herr Wenzel is no longer with us.

Have you actually tried the camera out, or have you just seen pictures?

Old 02-22-2017   #3
flyingpalm

http://www.renniebrown.com/blog/2016...y-horst-wenzel

Old 02-22-2017   #4
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I hadn't heard of him, but from that web link he seems another of the camera repair craftsmen like Harry Fleenor at Oceanside Camera Repair, and my old buddy Friedrich Mueller at International Camera Repair.

These guys are all getting close to end of their days; sadly there's no one coming up to replace them.

(My fellow photographer Linda bought another friend's favorite Rolleiflex 3.5F shortly before he died. She'd used it once or twice, but it had some issues with the focus and shutter jamming. I sent it down to Harry Fleenor for her last Fall and it returned from him a week or so ago. It is perfect now! stunningly smooth and clean in operation. Linda paid for the service and repair work, but her birthday was last week so I gifted her with beautiful, hand-made, Italian leather neck strap, with the correct Rollei alligator clip fittings, that polished it off perfectly. There's magic in these old cameras. )

Old 02-22-2017   #5
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Well, based on that link, I would say the 3.5F you're considering ought to be in top condition. (And I apologize to Mr. Wessel for implying he might not be with us anymore!)

Old 02-22-2017   #6
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpalm View Post
Thanks flyingpalm. I should have asked you directly

Old 02-22-2017   #7
flyingpalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
Thanks flyingpalm. I should have asked you directly
No worries, he is well known here in Vancouver, BC but not very active online, he also fixed lots of film gears for local camera shops.

Old 02-22-2017   #8
f16sunshine

He's in tge Vancuver BC area.
Good guy. Lots of experience.

Last edited by f16sunshine : 02-22-2017 at 10:35. Reason: David beat me too it.:)

Old 02-22-2017   #9
vytasn

If it was CLAed by Horst it will be good for the next twenty years.

Old 02-22-2017   #10
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by vytasn View Post
If it was CLAed by Horst it will be good for the next twenty years.
Thanks!! Good to know

Old 02-22-2017   #11
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

These guys are all getting close to end of their days; sadly there's no one coming up to replace them.
When I was down at Fleenor's shop last year, he had an apprentice working with him. Maybe in his mid 20s. So if all goes well, "Harry Fleenor" will be servicing Rolleiflexes for the next 60 years!

Old 02-22-2017   #12
Shac

I take my stuff to Horst regularly (as needed of course) - great work, great gentleman

Old 02-23-2017   #13
maigo

Here is a profile of Horst in 2007 by the great Vancouver professional photographer Alex Waterhouse-Hayward.

http://blog.alexwaterhousehayward.co...ur_03.html?m=1

Old 02-24-2017   #14
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
When I was down at Fleenor's shop last year, he had an apprentice working with him. Maybe in his mid 20s. So if all goes well, "Harry Fleenor" will be servicing Rolleiflexes for the next 60 years!
Huss,

This is good news. My 3.5 F is a Whiteface that I discovered at Adorama for $999.00. Basically lucked out on discovering a Shelf Queen that was mispriced, but I could not even finish a first roll due to repeated jamming.

Had the camera "Fleenored" about a decade ago. Had to wait 12 weeks, but the wait was worth it. After the first few rolls it became difficult to know if I took a shot because the shutter was so quiet, and I learned to advance the film to get a confirmation.

Now about a decade later this Whiteface remains as quiet and smooth as just after those few rolls. Of course this is because this camera gets used. In particular Rollies don't like to go unused IMHO.

Cal

Old 02-24-2017   #15
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Pro-Mone,

Seems like a no brainer to get this Rollie 3.5.

Cal

Old 02-24-2017   #16
jakobfoto

He's a super guy. Had an M3 serviced by him. Also chatted with him on the phone - very nice and knowledgeable man.

Old 02-24-2017   #17
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
That's great to hear! Thanks!

Harry and Rena are great folks. I met them many years ago when I lived down in that area. He's serviced a few Rollei 35s and Rolleiflexes for me over the years.

G

Old 02-24-2017   #18
taemo

great guy with ton of knowledge with Leica and rolleiflex cameras.
He once CLAed 3 2.8E rolleiflex for me and 2 friends.

Old 02-24-2017   #19
Huss

The only thing is Harry does not work on the latest gen Rolleiflexes. GX, FX.
Refuses to touch them. Steve's Camera in Culver City fixed my GX which had a stiff aperture dial.

Old 02-24-2017   #20
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
The only thing is Harry does not work on the latest gen Rolleiflexes. GX, FX.
Refuses to touch them. Steve's Camera in Culver City fixed my GX which had a stiff aperture dial.
I can understand that. These models are beyond his training, which was pre-destruction of Rolleiflex dies and castings in the mechanical era. The GX and FX cameras were built on the Rolleicord dies and castings in the Schneider ownership era and are likely mostly electronics inside.

G

Old 03-19-2017   #21
Evanjoe610

Question here, how we get in touch with Horst Wenzel?

Also seeking a good repairman for my Kodak Medalist II. A basic CLA.

Thanks,

Evan

Old 03-19-2017   #22
taemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanjoe610 View Post
Question here, how we get in touch with Horst Wenzel?

Also seeking a good repairman for my Kodak Medalist II. A basic CLA.

Thanks,

Evan
call him on his phone # during weekday working hours
(604) 263-5820

Old 03-21-2017   #23
rgraphex

Quote:
Not happy with Fleenor I had service done by Fleenor. I had another service man replace screen a simple job. and I'm waiting on another to be done. Dried old grease and loose parts found. I will forward list to H Fleenor. Perhaps mine was rushed?

Old 03-21-2017   #24
Chubberino
-

Steve's camera is a scam. Cahrged me $300 for a CLA on my Summilux. I was naive at the time and agreed. Oh well, hope he enjoyed the $300 as I've taken thousands of dollars elsewhere since then.

As far as Rollei CLA's, I opted for Newton Ellis in Liverpool and while it took some time, the RF111A I had, came back in superb working order.

Wenzel Horst sounds like a pleasure to deal with.

Old 03-21-2017   #25
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubberino View Post
As far as Rollei CLA's, I opted for Newton Ellis in Liverpool and while it took some time, the RF111A I had, came back in superb working order.

Wenzel Horst sounds like a pleasure to deal with.
Reminds me that it's also about geography. Despite that nowadays worldwide shipping can be swift business, I don't know if US-EU would do import and reimport charges for a camera to be CLA'd.

There ought to be Rollei trained technicians in Europe too.

I did have a basic list of people as a few years back I had the thought of getting a Rollei. I am awaiting a response on a listing for a 3.5E2 ("Very similar to an F, without the meter and only sold in US & UK) for a great price; and may have to think CLA if the transaction goes forward.

Old 03-21-2017   #26
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
Reminds me that it's also about geography. Despite that nowadays worldwide shipping can be swift business, I don't know if US-EU would do import and reimport charges for a camera to be CLA'd.

I did have a basic list of people as a few years back I had the thought of getting a Rollei. I am awaiting a response on a listing for a 3.5E2 ("Very similar to an F, without the meter and only sold in US & UK) for a great price; and may have to think CLA if the transaction goes forward.
Mr. Klinkhamer in the Netherlands is also Franke & Heidecke trained for servicing Rolleiflexes.

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 03-21-2017   #27
Chubberino
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post

Yeah I was in the UK at the time, so they were easier to deal with.