Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Lomography

Lomography Dedicated to discuss all Lomography Products

NEW Lomography NEWS
Old 03-07-2017   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

NEW Lomography NEWS

OK, there will be some exciting Lomography news posted here soon,
but not quite yet.

Until then,

Who is excited about what Lomography product and would like to test it?

Make a convincing case for yourself, and you just might ...

Old 03-07-2017   #2
Mackinaw
Think Different

Well, I love to see a good instant camera that would take Fuji Instax Wide film. By good, I mean a camera that had a good lens (glass, multi-element) and at a decent selection of shutter speeds. Doubt they'll bring that out though.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 03-07-2017   #3
benlees

Another lens?

New film?

Interesting camera? Zone focus MF with a super wide? That would be cool

Old 03-07-2017   #4
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

If it is something along the lines of the Konstructor SLR, I'd love to get my hands on it. I think that is one of the more interesting/entertaining products they've released. Plus I love putting cameras together.

Exa CLA by Berang Berang, on Flickr

If it's a film of some sort, I have plenty of cameras to feed.

Old 03-07-2017   #5
zuiko85

As long as it's not a overpriced toy, ok.

Old 03-07-2017   #6
f16sunshine

What if Lomo could re-introduce somethjng like the Oly XA3 or better still the mju2.
How cool would that be?

Old 03-07-2017   #7
grouchos_tash

Oh, a 35mm lens to go with their jupiter 3+ would be a great addition.

flickr

www.garyharding.website

Old 03-08-2017   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

If it is anything M mountable, I'm excited.

Old 03-08-2017   #9
B-9
Devin Bro

The Lomo'Instant Automat? It was successfully funded on Kickstarter.

Personally I'de love to see an updated Orion-15 to match their Russar+ and J-3+

Or alternatively a new LCA 120! Maybe some accessories to match.. like a Lomo Krab 120!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 03-08-2017   #10
dwojr

How about an inexpensive m mount rangefinder?

Old 03-08-2017   #11
brennanphotoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
What if Lomo could re-introduce somethjng like the Oly XA3 or better still the mju2.
How cool would that be?
I'd love to see something like this. It probably wouldn't have much going on inside but any of the XAs would be sweet. I could see Lomo doing something like this and making a fair amount of money on them.

Their M mount lenses have been *almost* there for me. I'd love to see them just release versions of all the "popular" Jupiter lenses like the 3, 8 and 12. But I hate the clickless apertures on these lenses. That's what bugs me the most.

Old 03-08-2017   #12
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
I'd love to see something like this. It probably wouldn't have much going on inside but any of the XAs would be sweet. I could see Lomo doing something like this and making a fair amount of money on them.
Really Lomo could be the ones producing a decent quality compact (LCa wouldn't count I guess)... Seeing the value that the old ones are getting they could even introduce a high end a'lą Contax machine.

Stephen did a bit of a teaser to build up hype here. Eager to see even if I am not that interested in what Lomo does.

Old 03-08-2017   #13
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
...But I hate the clickless apertures on these lenses. That's what bugs me the most.
"Nobody is perfect". All of three models of Color Skopar 35 2.5 have aperture ring which is mysteriously switching at its own. And why it is always shifting to smaller apperture... And ZM Planar 50 was my first and last Zeiss ZM lens. I'm not qualified for operator of large and long aperture ring clicker with every freaking 1/3 stop on it.

Old 03-08-2017   #14
xenohip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Well, I love to see a good instant camera that would take Fuji Instax Wide film. By good, I mean a camera that had a good lens (glass, multi-element) and at a decent selection of shutter speeds. Doubt they'll bring that out though.

Jim B.
+1

Perhaps something that takes medium format leaf shutter lenses. Modular would be nice-- instax wide film back, camera body = box, some kind of adaptable lens mount, external bright line finders, bonus points for an external rangefinder (possibly digital, or an app for your phone).

I have almost been considering cobbling together an instax wide back with a Pentax 165mm LS lens myself, for portraits...

Along the same lines-- I hope someone is working on a FAST (focus, aperture, shutter, take the picture) manual camera for the new instax square.

Also, same as above with Hassy lenses for instax square...

Old 03-08-2017   #15
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenohip View Post
+1

Perhaps something that takes medium format leaf shutter lenses. Modular would be nice-- instax wide film back, camera body = box, some kind of adaptable lens mount, external bright line finders, bonus points for an external rangefinder (possibly digital, or an app for your phone).

I have almost been considering cobbling together an instax wide back with a Pentax 165mm LS lens myself, for portraits...

Along the same lines-- I hope someone is working on a FAST (focus, aperture, shutter, take the picture) manual camera for the new instax square.

Also, same as above with Hassy lenses for instax square...
That would be cool.
I have kept a couple of Mamiya TLR lenses as they both excellent and are so to take apart and re-purpose.
The taking lens have leaf shutters and apertures within.
The 3.5/105mm tessar was one I used to use on a Gowland Pocket view.
It covers 6x9 without much fall off.
Would be fun to use with instant film even if it had some vignetting and softness on edges. (the Lomo look as it is)

Old 03-08-2017   #16
Bisakok

Dunno if the lens is glass.....
https://shop.lomography.com/en/camer...ia-peak-single

Old 03-08-2017   #17
dwojr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisakok View Post
Doubtful. I don't see it mentioned on the page and they would mention it if it was glass.

A premium quality instax wide camera with a sharp glass lens would be pretty fab.

Old 03-08-2017   #18
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisakok View Post
Deep down inside... you do.

It's not.

Old 03-08-2017   #19
JeffS7444

New camera from KMZ.

Old 03-08-2017   #20
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwojr View Post
How about an inexpensive m mount rangefinder?
I second this!

Old 03-09-2017   #21
Alberti

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmformyzombie View Post
I second this!
A digital competitor! Then I third that.

But Lomo says nothing about what their lenses really are calibtrated for.
Marketing material gives no mention of this BIG problem.

Interesting will be the question if the focussing mechanism is Zeiss (Russian) or (Leitz) German. The Russians adopted (took?) the Zeiss standard with and the distance of travel of the lens in reference to the rangefinder mechanism differs if I get it right.
The two rangefinder families are calibrated for slightly different lens focussing travel mm's.

First the register (flange to film plane): FED/Zorki and if I understand M39 correctly - 28.80 mm for screw mount
Leica M - 27,80 mm and so a L39-M converter should work OK for infinity.

But: the lenses differ in their focussing mechanism.
Sweeney elaborates: The [old] J-3 has a travel of 3.239 mm from infinity to 90 cm; on the Leica bodies there is a difference in expected travel, the Leica RF calibration is 3.318 mm. The rangefinder of the Leica goes off when using the "wrong" lenses.
The [older] Russian (LOMO) lenses can be shimmed: Sweeney says he can easily change a J3 to Leica by shimming 0,1 mm.
But for instance, shimming the J9 is hard to do, my cameraman Wil van Maanen said. It might cost more than the lens.
The question thus is: does the new Jupiter-3+ have the Russian (Zeiss) or Leitz mechanism/travel? No mention of it yet. So I am left in anxiety. Then why should I buy?

And then, if a body would be made (the market is wide open!) what rangefinder/mount will that have. If LOMO is silent about the problems I elaborated above for the lens, then I expect the worst when they come up with a body. I'm afraid it will be a Zorki+.

So I do not expect a viable body to be developed for the western world (Leica standard) by Lomo and I do not expect a body with an M-bayonet.

So for me this is futile even to think about. There are no marketing guys (gals) to break the rules over there. Sorry.

But of course if I'm incorrect . . . the head bartender can punch me hard. I'll wake up from a dream.

Old 03-09-2017   #22
BillBingham2

I'd rather see their instant wide bodies handing a roll of 120. All manual @ a reasonable price.

B2 (;->

Old 03-09-2017   #23
dwojr

I'm pretty curious because there is nothing I can find on their website about any new product on the way. They are usually pretty good at tooting their own horn.

Old 03-09-2017   #24
zuiko85

Someone mentioned a inexpensive M mount RF. Trouble is, what's inexpensive?
$1K.....$2K...? Too many opinions on that. M mount is the way to go however. Universal body, will take both LTM and M lenses.

Old 03-09-2017   #25
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I think Lomography is half way trough. The past is with old plastic film models which used to be cheap. Now exactly the same plastic film cameras high-jacked in price and it is old same and boring. Currently they jumped on very old trend which is on use of old lenses on modern cameras, plus Instax. Both are loosing its novelty. Lomography might look at their past. Lomography started as motion when films are plenty, all what was done - dirt cheap camera was taken and specific rules and principals of lomography shooting were applied. IMO, for Lomography as business (which it has become as soon as it became shop with brand name "Lomography") it is time for Lomo dlc-a. Original lc-a was nothing but copy of made in Japan camera. Why not take designers and market experts to the task to deal with digital camera manufacturer to get dlc-a?

Old 03-09-2017   #26
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

How about a TLR for 120? Or a 135 folder a la Retina/Contessa/Karat.

Not interested in instant photography; would prefer greatly a modern take on a classic design.

Old 03-09-2017   #27
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post
How about a TLR for 120? . . . .
Already done: Lubitel.

Cheers,

R.

Old 03-09-2017   #28
Archlich

Treated myself to a LCA-120 last year. It's untamed like a Mustang - but I do enjoy the ride!

Anything would be welcomed. Won't hurt anyone, anything, anyway.

Old 03-09-2017   #29
Orbiter

620 film. Any kind, just 620. No more respooling! Yes!!!

Old 03-09-2017   #30
Jake Mongey

I would love to test it - Would be interesting to try use it for college work whatever it is because I assume its going to be unusual in a good way!

Old 03-09-2017   #31
Huss

I would like to test the new Zenitar 50mm 1.2 in Nikon F mount that they are about to release. For full frame not crop.
I'll shoot it on my F6, F, and D750 to cover all bases. I will send in a report to stevehuff.com to plug your site.

Thank you.

Old 03-09-2017   #32
Kent
Finally at home...

That's exciting news!

I like Lomography gear a lot: Fisheye, Sardina, Spinner 360, U-Boot... They are all here.
And the lenses are highly interesting. I had the chance to shoot with them at the Photokina.

Ah, and yes, I would love to test and write about the "new item" on my blog: www.retrocamera.de

Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 03-09-2017   #33
Prest_400
Multiformat

I saw some news about Freestyle having a new source of Holgas (120n). Considering they were discontinued about a year ago, it's something.

Old 03-09-2017   #34
rfaspen

Odd. I posted in this thread yesterday and now its gone. What happened?

It was nothing rude, inappropriate, commercial, or ??? so I'm confused.

Old 03-09-2017   #35
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS7444 View Post
New camera from KMZ.
I read some news about KMZ rebooting, associated with Lomography.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 03-09-2017   #36
rfaspen

Well, in my initial post, I was wondering if we will see a new interesting M-mount lens (at least that's my hope). RF-coupled would be all the better.

So, plenty of older designs with "character" that Lomo has started to bring back (Petzval, Achromat) and it would be neat to have them in M-mount and not have to adapt them. Something like a Pronar, Artar, Dagor; most of these quite old designs with similar "errors" as the Petzval.

I also think a real fast lens could be interesting. Namely, a 50/1.2 or around there. And again, RF-coupled. It could be LTM too of course.

They already re-issued the Russar and the Jupiter-3. I haven't tried either, but folks elsewhere on RFF seem to think they're good. The J-3 in particular appears to be a big improvement over the original, and thus a good value for its price (which feels steep because you think of it as an FSU lens, but really its not...)

But I think the person who said it might be 620 film is closer. That actually would be a good thing. Many of us have cameras that would benefit from that.

Old 03-10-2017   #37
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post

Who is excited about what Lomography product and would like to test it?

Make a convincing case for yourself, and you just might ...
Nobody is taking him up on the offer?

Old 03-10-2017   #38
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post

They already re-issued the Russar and the Jupiter-3. I haven't tried either, but folks elsewhere on RFF seem to think they're good. The J-3 in particular appears to be a big improvement over the original, and thus a good value for its price (which feels steep because you think of it as an FSU lens, but really its not...)
I was checking on a lot of sample images from the J3+ when it was then newly out but I didn't see a BIG improvement (optically) over the old J3. There were also reports about miss-focusing from members on this forum if I remember correctly. Despite price difference, the obvious advantage of J3+ over old J3 is that it is a newly issued lens so it is less likely to be abused by many owners before the lens get passed on to you.

Lomography/KMZ also made the NEW Jupiter-9 back in 2013 but for some reasons they haven't brought it out yet. Maybe it is just a small amount of lens but I saw pictures of the lens on exhibition on some Russian forum, as well as a short description on KMZ's Jupiter-9 page.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 03-10-2017   #39
Skiff

About a year ago we had this news concerning KMZ:

https://petapixel.com/2016/02/12/rus...-leica-luxury/

At that time I had my doubts, because attacking very well established Leica in its tiny niche market makes no sense.
Also because of no one in the photo world is considering KMZ as a brand similar to Leica.
Therefore it still makes no sense for me today.

But a closer cooperation of Lomography and KMZ (they are already cooperating for years) in producing higher quality film cameras (higher quality compared to most of current Lomo cams) or more lenses could be economically viable.

Old 03-10-2017   #40
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Nobody is taking him up on the offer?
I already did.
Sorta.