Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 12-08-2017   #41
Huss

I bought an Oberwerth camera bag from Steve Huff and he forgot to empty the side pockets.
There were some glasses and a memory card. I sent all that back to him, w/o looking to see what was on the card, cuz, well, he didn't mean to do that and it was not my biz.
This though is different than buying a camera with film in it; if that purchase was not made from the person who put the film in it. Because you would not know who to return it to. In such a case I would finish the roll to test the camera, then see what was on it.

Old 12-08-2017   #42
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I got an old Hawkeye Brownie at a thrift store in Dallas with an exposed roll of B&W, and developed it.
I know who really shot JFK.

Old 12-09-2017   #43
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

I keep finding films inside the cameras i buy in car boot sales - so many that recently i have stopped developing them.

A couple of years ago i bought a boxed Paterson developing tank from an older lady - came with a developed film in it.

I also found another film in an old Ricoh P&S - a typical picture from that film ...

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 12-09-2017   #44
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

I started a thread and no one answered but you might like it:-

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=163481

A digital camera was left on a rock near the sea,swept out to sea and travelled from England to North Germany. The camera filmed part of the journey and some of the images and video survived on the SD (?) card.

The owner was traced...

Regards, David

Old 12-09-2017   #45
Spanik

I did found back some old family camera's with film and a couple undeveloped film when we cleared my mum's house. Found some holiday snaps from 1978 (we think) and a photo from my dad on that roll.

And once I bought a camera and received it with a dozen rolls of negatives from that camera. Never thought anyone would made nude photos with a 16mm mini camera and then sell them with the camera years later...

Old 12-09-2017   #46
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
@CS9540 - would it be possible to identify the plane from the markings on the side? Might be a way to figure out who the photographer was, or who/where he was shooting.
Probably so, but I wouldn't know where to search. With the right resources, its probably possible to see, at least, where the plane was registered.

Here's another airplane which was on the same roll. I'd like to see this one up close. I like the vintage trucks. And that control tower.... Bet that was replaced by something new years ago! This was unfortunately about the least-contrasty picture on the roll and I have tried to improve it, but it tends to get grainy when I do too much.

Old 12-16-2017   #47
Vadimson

I was given a camera (FED-5B) in which I found an undeveloped film. Developed in the Rodinal. Snaps from 1990.

Old 12-16-2017   #48
steveyork

This has happened with me 4-5 times with old cameras, but I never knew until I opened the back, exposing the film to light. The oldest was a roll of tri-x from the 60's. It would've been fun to develop the film.

found image
Old 12-16-2017   #49
willwright

found image

The airplane is a Mooney M20 in current registration to a person in Washington state...further details? goggle the number N5069B

Old 12-28-2017   #50
css9450

Not a "found" roll, but I'm putting it here just because it fits in well with the thread. I bought an exposed roll of 127 Verichrome Pan because I wanted the spool. This was about the only usable photo on it. Maybe 1976 or 1977 judging by the clothes and hairstyles?

Have found nothing.
Old 12-28-2017   #51
pepeguitarra

Have found nothing.

I have not found any film inside any camera that I have bought. I would have liked to have found a Kodak Plus X 125, which is a nice black and white negative I like. Well, in case I find one, I will let everyone know.

Old 12-28-2017   #52
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Not a "found" roll, but I'm putting it here just because it fits in well with the thread. I bought an exposed roll of 127 Verichrome Pan because I wanted the spool. This was about the only usable photo on it. Maybe 1976 or 1977 judging by the clothes and hairstyles?

Nice pic of a young(er) Jerry Orbach and Matt Damon.

Old 12-28-2017   #53
f16sunshine

^^^^
What a cool find.
Kind of a scary looking crew !

Old 12-29-2017   #54
lynnb

Quote:
I can add some to this thread. I bought an inexpensive Imperial Satellite 127 camera, which had an exposed roll of Kodak Verichrome Pan in it. I needed the spools anyway, for re-rolling 120 film onto. So even if the film turned out to be blank, I was gaining two additional spools. Turned out, the film was intact, if a little fogged. Probably shot in the early 60s. I was born in 1964, so these pics may have been shot before I was born!

Don't know what's up with this airplane.... Mechanical issues?

The aircraft registration will show the current owner - not necessarily the owner when the picture was taken.
Flickr

Old 12-29-2017   #55
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwright View Post
The airplane is a Mooney M20 in current registration to a person in Washington state...further details? goggle the number N5069B
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb
The aircraft registration will show the current owner - not necessarily the owner when the picture was taken.
Thanks for those! Its interesting that its still around after all these years.

Old 12-29-2017   #56
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Kind of a scary looking crew !
The facial expressions are the best! It was worth the $4 I paid.

Old 12-29-2017   #57
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

Yes, have developed such films. Some photos were curiosities, haven't found any great images.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 01-25-2018   #58
css9450

More forgotten gems. This came in a Ricoh 127 camera I bought. Its Kodacolor-X (C-22 process) which I stand-developed in Rodinal 1:100 because I had no idea what time would be appropriate for "normal" developing in B&W chemistry. I am guessing this might be from about 1970?

I usually don't do "people" photos, so its weird to have all these people show up in these "forgotten" films.

Old 02-11-2018   #59
css9450

This was on a random roll of 120 Plus-X Pan which was in a box of mostly unexposed film I bought. Of course, this roll being exposed I had to develop it... Most of it was pictures of this dog, at a very disorganized construction site. Is this your dog? If so, I have your pics!

Old 02-15-2018   #60
css9450

Also in the same collection was a roll of Ansco All-Weather Pan 127, still in its original box, although exposed long ago. Expired in 1962. I stand-developed it for an hour in Rodinal, 1:100. Most of the pics looked like they were from a picnic. Grainy for sure; this was one of the better ones.

Old 03-29-2018   #61
css9450

Another Ebay gem; I processed it just this evening. Unknown camera, 127-format Verichrome Pan. The pictures in the background are the 1962 and 1963 members of Pi Kappa Phi at whatever college this was. Some serious drinking was going to be happening that night!

Old 03-29-2018   #62
Greyscale

Sometimes you get weird stuff, like this from a Kodak Signet 40

Found-film freakiness by Mike Novak, on Flickr

My RFF Gallery

Old 03-30-2018   #63
Timmyjoe

Found a few of the images I found on two rolls of Minolta 16 film that came with a camera from the auction site. Both rolls expired in 1964. From these and the partial images that didn't turn out well, I think they are from a wedding, the newlyweds' home, and their honeymoon in Italy.

Best,
-Tim

Old 04-02-2018   #64
bsdunek
Old Guy with a Corgi

Quote:
I can add some to this thread. I bought an inexpensive Imperial Satellite 127 camera, which had an exposed roll of Kodak Verichrome Pan in it. I needed the spools anyway, for re-rolling 120 film onto. So even if the film turned out to be blank, I was gaining two additional spools. Turned out, the film was intact, if a little fogged. Probably shot in the early 60s. I was born in 1964, so these pics may have been shot before I was born!

Easy enough - you go to:
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/
and enter the registration number. N5268B. Turns out it's a 1957 Mooney M20, currently registered to David Cabbage of Colville, WA. Of course, who owned it when the photo was taken is unknown.

My Gallery
Bruce
Don't take my Kodachrome away!
OOOPS! Kodak did!!!

Old 04-02-2018   #65
Greyscale

[quote=bsdunek;2800241]
Quote:

Easy enough - you go to:
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/
and enter the registration number. N5268B. Turns out it's a 1957 Mooney M20, currently registered to David Cabbage of Colville, WA. Of course, who owned it when the photo was taken is unknown.
That looks like a 1960 Chevy Nomad station wagon, so your guess is probably spot-on.

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-02-2018   #66
Greyscale

Not found film, but found negatives from a local thrift store. Internet sleuthing puts the locations at Minnehaha Falls, MN, and what is now the Minneapolis-St. Paul Air Reserve Station, and the date as shortly after the end of the Korean war, when the base was being refit for active status.

Found negs from antique store. by Mike Novak, on Flickr

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-03-2018   #67
seany65

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

I started a thread and no one answered but you might like it:-

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=163481

A digital camera was left on a rock near the sea,swept out to sea and travelled from England to North Germany. The camera filmed part of the journey and some of the images and video survived on the SD (?) card.

The owner was traced...

Regards, David
Well, umm, thank you for calling me "No one".

Old 07-08-2018   #68
css9450

A new find on Ebay.... Kodak Verichrome Pan in 127 format. Processed yesterday in Rodinal, 1:50 standard development. Bizarre to think of the undeveloped images sitting there waiting for decades...

Old 07-08-2018   #69
Archiver

Googling the plane registration number yields some interesting stuff:

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...07LA317&akey=1

NTSB Identification: CHI07LA317
On July 17, 2007, at 0715 mountain daylight time, an Aerostar International Inc. S81A, N5069B, was being operated as a sightseeing flight when a passenger sustained serious injuries during landing near Custer, South Dakota. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed on the day of the accident. The 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 flight was not operating on a flight plan. The pilot and 11 other passengers were uninjured. The local flight originated at 0630 near Custer, South Dakota.

The pilot provided a written statement in which he states that at the time of the balloon launch, the winds were calm, but during landing the winds were "a little stronger than forecast but nothing unusual for the Hills... ." He stated that he briefed the passengers for a windy landing, and the balloon landed "...going to 10-12 mph." The basket then tipped over on its side and slid 20 feet across grass and a "few" rocks.

The passenger reportedly received a broken ankle during landing.

More here:
https://prijet.com/accident/20080206X00140

Old 07-09-2018   #70
shawn

Any recommendation on developing very old Tri-X? I have HC-110 I just picked up an early non-export Minox B and it still had a cassette of Tri-X in it with an expiration date of 1965. Film is totally wound into the cassette but might not be totally light burned.Probably badly fogged. If I develop it typically it will take less than a ml of HC110 so I'm certainly going to see if anything is still on it.

Thanks,

Shawn

Old 11-07-2018   #71
css9450

My new Komaflex camera arrived at my door with a half-exposed roll of Kodacolor-X in it. Process C-22. So last night I developed it in B&W chemistry. These are BY FAR the best "color" negatives I have done this way (some other rolls were so heavily fogged they were useless). So these were the last photos taken with this camera - that is, until I loaded it last weekend and shot some of my own (for another thread).

Note the weird shutter-bounce thing that seems to be going on. Maybe they're using a slow shutter speed? The Komaflex has a large reflex mirror, so maybe it introduces some camera shake.

The Ford truck is - I think - a '63 or a '64.

Old 12-27-2018   #72
carbo73

Not found in a bought camera, but this is a glass plate (Agfa) found with some papers of my grandfather. It shows my grandparents with my father, then just one or two years old. So this picture must be around 1930-1931. And I even identified the place a restaurant outside Canet de Mar, north of Barcelona. My grandmother lived nearby for a while.

My sister has what's probably the camera used to take this picture, and which was owned by my grandfather, an Ihagee Patent Duplex 720.

The same place now, still a restaurant:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...et_de_Mar).JPG

Kodak No.4 F Cartridge / Kodak No.2 Folding Brownie / Kodak No.3 & No.3A Folding Pocket / Goerz ANGO / Kodak VPK / Brownie Nr.2 / KW Patent Etui / Leica II / Leica IIIb / Rolleiflex Old Standard / Contax II / VP Exakta / Kine Exakta / FED1 / Contax S / Exakta VX / Moskva 4 / Zenit-S / FED2 / Minolta Autocord /Exakta VX IIa / Nikon F

Old 12-28-2018   #73
Archiver

I follow a number of flickr accounts where old photos are posted, many from old US army bases, and from around Hong Kong, China and the general Asia Pacific region. What is particularly poignant is the thought that the subjects of these images meant something to the photographers. Family, friends, lovers, places of interest. I look at the photos of servicemen in the Korean War, of British families in Hong Kong, and wonder if these people are still alive, if their descendants are out there, if anyone would know these forgotten faces.

The images in this thread are especially poignant as they are obviously lost to the original photographers. The scenes of a wedding, honeymoon and new apartment, who was this couple? Are they still alive? How would they react if they saw these long lost photos from decades past?

Old 12-28-2018   #74
jsrockit

Steve Huff`s could have had evidence of ghosts! You should have looked!

http://huffparanormal.com/

Old 12-28-2018   #75
Timmyjoe

Quote:
The scenes of a wedding, honeymoon and new apartment, who was this couple? Are they still alive? How would they react if they saw these long lost photos from decades past?
Full story on the wedding pics above. I bought a Minolta 16 off the auction site from a seller who had it listed with "Two new, unopened boxes of film". As we all know, that is rarely the case. Sure enough, both boxes of film were exposed so I processed them and one came out. I contacted the seller and asked if he knew who the original owner of the camera was, as I had images they might like. He said he did know the original owners but wasn't interested in contacting them about the pictures. So there you go.

Best,
-Tim

Old 12-28-2018   #76
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Full story on the wedding pics above. I bought a Minolta 16 off the auction site from a seller who had it listed with "Two new, unopened boxes of film". As we all know, that is rarely the case. Sure enough, both boxes of film were exposed so I processed them and one came out. I contacted the seller and asked if he knew who the original owner of the camera was, as I had images they might like. He said he did know the original owners but wasn't interested in contacting them about the pictures. So there you go.
That's actually pretty sad, and selfish on the part of the seller. Then again, there may have been a tragic death or tumultuous conflict in the family and one of the wedded couple might have been excommunicated, so I guess we'll never know.

Old 12-29-2018   #77
rfaspen

Quote:
@CS9540 - would it be possible to identify the plane from the markings on the side? Might be a way to figure out who the photographer was, or who/where he was shooting.

The closest I've come to mystery pictures are:

- I once bought a new camera from a shop, only to discover a few photos in the in-camera memory. One was of a window covered with rain, another was a close up of a small potted cactus. EXIF data suggested that the photos were taken not too long before I bought it, so I suspect the camera may have been a return sold as new. Not cool. I found that I didn't like the camera anyway, so I took it back and exchanged it for a Fuji X100 black limited edition.
I like your RFF name -- Archiver.

Seems like a good start for this thread

Do you have any images from the aforementioned cactus photography, or any of your dad's adventures with cactus and/or succulents?

I rather like cactus and succulents. I was once a genuine afficionado and had several hundred different kinds of cactus and succulents. They are amazing and diverse plants.

Old 12-29-2018   #78
lynnb

from an op shop p&s camera in 2005

found-film_201501 by lynnb's snaps on Flickr
Flickr

Old 12-29-2018   #79
Sega

I've found them lurking in bags but I've never developed as I've always had to send mine out and been concerned knowing the area on what might lurk, mostly I just drill a hole in the spool and make a keyring out of it.
That being said I do have a roll of Portra 400 waiting in a box that had the first shot taken by somone else that I used to test out a Lubitel 166 that it came in and digital wise I've had cameras with a couple of shots left on them (fortunately family friendly shots) and stuff lurking on Laptops and the iPad 2 I inhertited that has stuff from my late Granddad mucking about.

Old 12-29-2018   #80
goamules

I'm doing something similar right now: trying to determine what Korean War unit is depicted in a bunch of kodachromes I found. So many interesting shots....but a little detective work required.