Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Scale Focus 35's

Scale Focus 35's Though not rangefinders, scale focus 35's are 1st cousins. This forum includes such popular gems as the Rollei 35's, Petri 35's, and the Olympus XA-4.

Shots taken with the Nikonos camera series
Old 10-20-2017   #1
maddoc
... likes film.

Shots taken with the Nikonos camera series

I recently acquired a Nikonos V with the W-Nikkor 35/2.5 lens. This camera is scale focus and therefore focus is a little hit or miss but I like the results I got so far. From what I remember the Nikonos has gained some popularity so I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread were we can share photos taken with the Nikonos camera series, under water or not.

Fujifilm Natura1600

by Gabor Samjeske, on Flickr

DELTA3200 (1600 E.I.)

by Gabor Samjeske, on Flickr

flickr
pBase

Old 10-20-2017   #2
Mackinaw
Think Different

The shipwreck "America," off the coast of Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior. I took this about 20 years back. A serendipity pic. I was in my kayak, and had a general idea of where the "America" was. I stuck my Nikonos underwater and hit the shutter. On Ektachrome film, if I remember correctly.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 10-20-2017   #3
maddoc
... likes film.

That came out very good! Keep them coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
The shipwreck "America," off the coast of Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior. I took this about 20 years back. A serendipity pic. I was in my kayak, and had a general idea of where the "America" was. I stuck my Nikonos underwater and hit the shutter. On Ektachrome film, if I remember correctly.

Jim B.

flickr
pBase

Old 10-20-2017   #4
Mackinaw
Think Different

One more from this past June. Again, on Isle Royale. Ektar 100. My Nikonos 5 is my standard kayak camera.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 10-20-2017   #5
maddoc
... likes film.

Nice Jim, I like the colors. For this kind of outdoor activities the Nikonos is one of the best cameras, IMO.

Keep them coming!

flickr
pBase

Old 10-20-2017   #6
peterm1

I used to love my Nikonos 5 - it is really what got me into photography having first been a diver and using my Nikonos around New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Pelau, Truk etc. Its built like a truck and the standard 35mm lens performs quite well despite its scale focusing. One of the things I always loved about this camera (oddly) was the way it smelled - all rubbery and like silicone grease which brought back holiday memories whenever I smelled it.

Old 10-20-2017   #7
Corran

Bought a Nikonos IV a couple of months ago. After using it for a couple of rolls the meter stopped working...

Been experimenting with exposures underwater in rivers. Guessing bulb exposures now due to meter failure.

Here's one with the 15mm f/2.8 Nikkor::

Old 10-20-2017   #8
zuikologist

Very cool effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Bought a Nikonos IV a couple of months ago. After using it for a couple of rolls the meter stopped working...

Been experimenting with exposures underwater in rivers. Guessing bulb exposures now due to meter failure.

Here's one with the 15mm f/2.8 Nikkor::

Old 10-20-2017   #9
maddoc
... likes film.

Sounds you have some fond memories of the Nikonos 5 having you accompanied on many trips. It would be great to see some photos from those trips1

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
I used to love my Nikonos 5 - it is really what got me into photography having first been a diver and using my Nikonos around New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Pelau, Truk etc. Its built like a truck and the standard 35mm lens performs quite well despite its scale focusing. One of the things I always loved about this camera (oddly) was the way it smelled - all rubbery and like silicone grease which brought back holiday memories whenever I smelled it.

flickr
pBase

Old 10-20-2017   #10
maddoc
... likes film.

Having the camera only halfway immersed into the water makes for interesting frames, I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuikologist View Post
Very cool effect.

flickr
pBase

Old 10-20-2017   #11
Corran

Thanks. I had my focus real close because I was thinking the 15mm focuses past infinity due to being designed for submerged use, but I've since realized I had it backwards and I should have it at infinity and stopped way down to get the most DOF above water. Need to try again. Also my friend's tripod was in the shot above and didn't realize it at the time .

I see crawdads in the river often, would be cool to catch one on the rocks underwater! But the exposure time is 10-15 seconds so it'd have to be real still...

Old 10-20-2017   #12
maddoc
... likes film.

Or you could try to push Tri-X way to the limit or use DELTA3200? I like the idea of bringing the Nikonos to hiking trips in the future. Also I found that the AE metering works very well.

flickr
pBase

Old 10-20-2017   #13
Corran

Yeah but I wanted the smooth water look with long exposures. But lots of room to experiment here!

Old 10-20-2017   #14
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Sounds you have some fond memories of the Nikonos 5 having you accompanied on many trips. It would be great to see some photos from those trips1
Thanks I will have to find them (in a box somewhere in the garage) and then scan them. I will see what I can do. many of the shots above water were made with this camera too - it was particularly useful in the jungle rain forest where everything was wet, hot and deadly to normal photo gear.

EDIT: On reflection I remember that the majority of the shots at the following link were made with it on the sailing ship Eye of the Wind when sailing around New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. The photo on the first page is me helming the ship as a sail trainee member of the crew (and lots more photos inside). Fun days. http://www.tallshipstales.de/80s/Sailing_Solomons.php

Old 10-20-2017   #15
craygc

Nikonos V + 35mm... Chiang Mai, Thailand

Old 10-21-2017   #16
maddoc
... likes film.

Thanks Peter for the link! Interesting journey on a tall ship! I especially like the photos of the Toa Maru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
Thanks I will have to find them (in a box somewhere in the garage) and then scan them. I will see what I can do. many of the shots above water were made with this camera too - it was particularly useful in the jungle rain forest where everything was wet, hot and deadly to normal photo gear.

EDIT: On reflection I remember that the majority of the shots at the following link were made with it on the sailing ship Eye of the Wind when sailing around New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. The photo on the first page is me helming the ship as a sail trainee member of the crew (and lots more photos inside). Fun days. http://www.tallshipstales.de/80s/Sailing_Solomons.php

flickr
pBase

Old 10-21-2017   #17
maddoc
... likes film.

Nice, Craig!! An event like made for using the Nikonos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craygc View Post
Nikonos V + 35mm... Chiang Mai, Thailand

flickr
pBase

Old 10-21-2017   #18
lonelyboy

Nikon V + 15/2.8

Old 10-21-2017   #19
lonelyboy

Nikonos V + 20/2.8

Old 10-21-2017   #20
lonelyboy

Nikonos V + 35/2.5 + Sea amd Sea extension tube 1:1

Old 10-21-2017   #21
maddoc
... likes film.

Wow, those are impressive!

flickr
pBase

Old 10-21-2017   #22
Mackinaw
Think Different

Modeling in/under the icy cold waters of Lake Huron. Tri-X, pushed to 1600.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 10-21-2017   #23
maddoc
... likes film.

Now that is something very special!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Modeling in/under the icy cold waters of Lake Huron. Tri-X, pushed to 1600.

Jim B.

flickr
pBase

Old 10-21-2017   #24
zerobuttons

Gabor, what do these go for in Japan, and can you recommend a particular shop in Tokyo, when looking for a Nikonos?

Old 10-21-2017   #25
maddoc
... likes film.

Fujiya in Nakano might have some but I bought mine from Yahoo Auctions. Prices vary between JPY 13000 and 30000, depending on condition. Yodobashi still sells the Nikonos o-ring/lube set very cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobuttons View Post
Gabor, what do these go for in Japan, and can you recommend a particular shop in Tokyo, when looking for a Nikonos?

flickr
pBase

Old 10-21-2017   #26
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

I had one for a short period of time, but the meter had some problems so I sold it off.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 10-22-2017   #27
zerobuttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Fujiya in Nakano might have some but I bought mine from Yahoo Auctions. Prices vary between JPY 13000 and 30000, depending on condition. Yodobashi still sells the Nikonos o-ring/lube set very cheap.
I see now that several Japanese dealers offer what seem to fine examples on that other great auction site. Maybe worth looking into. I donīt think Iīve been through the Nakano neighbourhood, and Iīve only heard about Fujiya so far, but looking it up now, I see that itīs a shop that is worth visiting.

Thank you for your answer and the tip about the gasket kit.

Old 10-22-2017   #28
Nokton48

I have had several Nikonos II cameras and they were a bargain at the time. One I bought for $75 complete.

I used to scuba dive so I did love my Nikonos.

Do you know, it has the same 35mm f2.5 lens that is in the Nikon rangefinders?? Quite a steal of a deal considering what these go for.

Old 10-22-2017   #29
F456
Tom H

I love my Nikonos-V and though I have used it quite successfully for half in half out photography in the water my main like with this camera is that it opens up the whole vista of poor weather and messy terrain photography on land. In England it rains sometimes! I think the 35/2.5 lens is great and I like the focus and aperture setting method; it doesn't take long and it makes me think about what distances I want to shoot at if I use it on the street. The camera looks so quaint that nobody seems to mind my taking pictures; it's about as quiet as a Leica too. Once I work out how to use this forum properly e.g. how to post pictures I'll put some up. I have to admit to having two of these bodies and lenses actually, both in discreet green. What a great idea to have a thread specially for these cameras.

Old 10-22-2017   #30
charjohncarter

I purchased my Nikonos II in 1970. I still have it but like the OP found the scale focus trying. Over the years I've tried underwater but I guess I'm just not a good swimmer. Here are a few from the II with the f2.5 35mm lens:

Untitled by John Carter, on Flickr

Kodak Gold 100 by John Carter, on Flickr

RanchoLeonero by John Carter, on Flickr

1973 by John Carter, on Flickr

Nikonos by John Carter, on Flickr

AND

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/rff...3281.SEQ.0.jpg

Old 10-23-2017   #31
maddoc
... likes film.

Many new great photos here! Thanks everybody for contributing!

I left for a business trip last Wednesday so missed the opportunity to take some photos during typhoon no21 that just passed through Japan. Nikonos is a perfect camera for that weather.

flickr
pBase

Old 10-24-2017   #32
zerobuttons

Agree with Gabor - great pictures in this thread (including his as well). You all convinced me now, and I have ordered a kit from a Japanese dealer. Of course, I will get to pay import taxes that way, but the Japanese dealers have the best kept equipment, and I would like to get to know the parts before actually using the kit in June/July next year.....in Japan.

Old 10-24-2017   #33
Steve M.

These are all wonderful. That colour in the Ektar 100 is something else. Very saturated. If anyone likes grain, and I do, this is the thread for sure.

Old 10-28-2017   #34
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Now that I have moved next to the boardwalk at Rockaway Beach
my Nikonos V will likely be my most often used "street shooter".

Chris

Old 10-28-2017   #35
ornate_wrasse

I took this image when I was diving in Curacao. I used my Nikonos V and Fuji Velvia film. It was the original Velvia 50 film before they changed the formulation. Velvia was the film of choice back in the day for underwater photographers as it gave such wonderful saturated colors for the tropical fish and other marine life.

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8

Old 06-29-2018   #36
Niko

In the winter i traded my last digital camera for a Nikonos V. I had the seals replaced, although i didnīt plan to really use it underwater. But now that i can do it, of course had to try From my first roll with underwater photos. I really like the camera for rainy days / beach, but the AE seems to underexpose some.

Old 07-04-2018   #37
Huss

Nikonos V w/ Fuji C200

I bought a spare beater 35 2.5 lens as I wanted to remove the thick flat glass protective element from the front of the lens. It was to be a dry land use only lens, and I was curious as to how well it would do w/ flare and/or in back lit conditions without that flat uncoated piece of glass there.

Works great. In this back lit shot, no flare, lots of detail in the shadows. This is an excellent lens.

Old 07-05-2018   #38
maddoc
... likes film.

Many more nice shots, thanks for posting!!

Myself, I have moved from Tokyo to Nagoya since starting this thread but hope to visit 新島 (Niijima) island this year again and will bring my Nikonos V and some rolls of Fujifilm Natura1600.

flickr
pBase

Old 01-19-2019   #39
Huss

Nikonos V, Nikkor 35 3.5, Cinestill 800 rated at 500, LR BW conversion, Nikon Z7 scan.

Old 01-19-2019   #40
maddoc
... likes film.

Huss, very nice!!

flickr
pBase