Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc

Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc This is the place to discuss the hardware to keep your digital pics more than just memories.

monitor calibration
Old 04-17-2018   #1
back alley
IMAGES

monitor calibration

is a calibrated monitor more important for colour work than for b&w work?

Old 04-17-2018   #2
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

It is equally important for both. I wouldn't even bother editing on an uncalibrated screen; all you're doing is guessing about what the photo really looks like. An uncalibrated screen will display BW photos too light, or dark, with the wrong contrast.

Old 04-17-2018   #3
Dan Daniel

Why do you ask? The reasons to calibrate are many. Just do it and get on with things.

Old 04-17-2018   #4
RichC

As a professional graphic designer working with monochrome and colour images daily: what Chris said.

Total waste of time editing digital photos without calibrating your screen...

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 04-17-2018   #5
Huss

I would say my monitor calibrator is the single most
important editing tool that I have.

Old 04-17-2018   #6
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
Why do you ask? The reasons to calibrate are many. Just do it and get on with things.
YES SIR!

Old 04-17-2018   #7
back alley
IMAGES

i ask because i am lazy and if it wasn't necessary for b&w then i would skip it.

Old 04-17-2018   #8
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i ask because i am lazy and if it wasn't necessary for b&w then i would skip it.

While color accuracy isnt important for BW, brightness and grayscale tracking are. Imagine looking at the same image on a screen set to the factory default brightness, which is always way too bright.

The image looks too light, so you darken it with a curves adjustment in Photoshop. Then you print it and it comes out WAY too dark. Looks nothing like the screen.

Old 04-18-2018   #9
back alley
IMAGES

how often do you calibrate?

Old 04-18-2018   #10
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

From my experience monitor calibration is only necessary half of the in home printing with matching screen colors process.

For regular person bw image posting on internet it is next to irrelevant. Because image is to be ruined by Apple screen on mobile device many NA viewers are using .

For this most common scenario I recommend to check your internet shared images from another devices. Like someone else computer. If it looks recognizable, nothing to worry about.

Old 04-18-2018   #11
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
From my experience monitor calibration is only necessary half of the in home printing with matching screen colors process.

For regular person bw image posting on internet it is next to irrelevant. Because image is to be ruined by Apple screen on mobile device many NA viewers are using .

For this most common scenario I recommend to check your internet shared images from another devices. Like someone else computer. If it looks recognizable, nothing to worry about.
that sounds very practical.

Old 04-18-2018   #12
RichC

Quote:
how often do you calibrate?
I do it about every 6 months as a screen changes slightly over time - and after Windows downloads and installs a video driver update, as this often screws the calibration!

-=Rich=-

Old 04-18-2018   #13
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
that sounds very practical.
And very, very wrong. It amazes me that so many here have spent untold thousands of dollars on camera gear, but balk at spending $300 for a calibrator.

Old 04-18-2018   #14
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
And very, very wrong. It amazes me that so many here have spent untold thousands of dollars on camera gear, but balk at spending $300 for a calibrator.
Or less. The Spyder5 costs just $130 for the basic model, which is all most people need. I’ve been using Spyders for well over a decade so am used to them, but any calibrator will do the job.

-=Rich=-

Old 04-18-2018   #15
View Range

Back Alley, you need to be more specific about what you are doing. If you are just posting files on the internet, you don't need to calibrate because those looking at your files are not using calibrated monitors. If you are printing, how serious are you? Will you profile your camera and printer after calibrating your monitor? Is your monitor adequate for graphics? If you are serious, you may want to consider an Eizo Color Guard monitor with a built in calibrator. I use a CX271 monitor and the calibrator is done every 200 hours of monitor on-time.

Old 04-18-2018   #16
daveleo
what?

Quote:

This is also my opinion.
If you are sharing your images via screens (computers, tablets, cellphones, etc) unless every viewer calibrates his/her screen the same way, you have no idea how that picture is going to look on their screen. In this case, calibrating your monitor is pointless.
Physical printing requires a calibrated monitor-printer system.

EDIT (after reading later postings): obviously if you're sharing photos with an important audience on calibrated monitors, you would want to keep your monitor calibrated as well.

Old 04-18-2018   #17
Dan Daniel

Quote:
It isn't necessary. Go back to sleep or whatever you do with all the time you have left over by not taking the time to do things well.

Old 04-18-2018   #18
icebear

Quote:
Do you have a monochrom camera that gives you native b&w files or are you color files and convert them to monochrom images? Rethorical question...

You will get the best results if you process the color image first for acurate color and exposure and then convert the file to b&w. If you trust your camera and use the b&w jpgs, then forget about you asked about calibrating...

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 04-18-2018   #19
x-ray

Quote:

That's really bad advice. You should always start with the best image you can produce. Sorry to step on toes but this philosophy is why there are so many terrible looking images posted. If you calibrated then you know your image looks great to the people that care and calibrate their monitor. You can't second guess what someone else's monitor looks like.

Old 04-18-2018   #20
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
That's really bad advice. You should always start with the best image you can produce. Sorry to step on toes but this philosophy is why there are so many terrible looking images posted. If you calibrated then you know your image looks great to the people that care and calibrate their monitor. You can't second guess what someone else's monitor looks like.
Totally agree.

I also disagree with those who say it is not necessary for you to calibrate your monitor because some viewers don't. Two wrongs are simply twice as bad as one wrong.

And then there are those of us who insist on having a calibrated monitor. Do you want us to know your photos look funky because you adjusted them to an uncalibrated monitor?

As Chris Crawford said, it makes no sense to spend all that time and money worrying about lenses then all that time doing a photo to throw most of it away in the final step.

BTW, all of that is just as important in b&w images as color.

Old 04-18-2018   #21
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
i already have one.

Old 04-18-2018   #22
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Range View Post
Back Alley, you need to be more specific about what you are doing. If you are just posting files on the internet, you don't need to calibrate because those looking at your files are not using calibrated monitors. If you are printing, how serious are you? Will you profile your camera and printer after calibrating your monitor? Is your monitor adequate for graphics? If you are serious, you may want to consider an Eizo Color Guard monitor with a built in calibrator. I use a CX271 monitor and the calibrator is done every 200 hours of monitor on-time.
i don't have a printer...i use a local lab and the end results seem ok to me.

Old 04-18-2018   #23
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
It isn't necessary. Go back to sleep or whatever you do with all the time you have left over by not taking the time to do things well.
you seem to have a problem with me...all i can say is that i don't give a **** about your tasteless comments or condescending attitude.

Old 04-18-2018   #24
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
Do you have a monochrom camera that gives you native b&w files or are you color files and convert them to monochrom images? Rethorical question...

You will get the best results if you process the color image first for acurate color and exposure and then convert the file to b&w. If you trust your camera and use the b&w jpgs, then forget about you asked about calibrating...
i'm using the acros simulation atm...jpegs.

Old 04-18-2018   #25
back alley
IMAGES

so many assumptions based on a simple question.
i have a spyder4 and calibrate my cheap viewsonic monitor.
i was wondering if the need was the same for b&w as it is for colour.
i plan on shooting only the acros simulation for the foreseeable future.