X-E2 vs X-E3 (vs Sony)
Old 08-13-2018   #1
squirrel$$$bandit

X-E2 vs X-E3 (vs Sony)

I've been out of digital photography for a while and was thinking of coming back and getting an A7ii and some SLR lenses. But every time I think to pull the trigger, I'm distracted by Fuji again. I was just ogling the X-E2, which is down to like $350 used (and there's even a new "international version" for that much on Amazon right now), and of course the X-E3. I really do prefer the styling of those cameras, which always remind me of the black Contax G2 I could never justify buying...

Is the X-E3 worth the upgrade? I don't need the extra pixels on the sensor, and my main reason for buying a newer camera of any brand would be the improved EVF...which does not appear to have been upgraded from the X-E2, as far as I can see. Any of you who has experience with both, can you comment?

Old 08-13-2018   #2
splitimageview

I had the X-E2S and now have the X-E3. Don't miss the flash, never used it. It's very small and light, significantly so (I have an A7-II as well.) Great colors, as are all the Fujis, and very fast. The EVF is quite good on both, never considered the one in the X-E2S as deficient. I have not used any of the touch screen features so that wasn't a factor for me. If you don't need the speed or mp the X-E2 or X-E2S are great bargains used. Paid $670ish for mine used, no box, just the camera, battery, and charger.

Also, the Fuji X RAW Studio works very well on the 3.

Old 08-13-2018   #3
twopointeight

My 2 cents. I bought and sold an A7II within 6 months. Used it with a Loxia 50mm lens, which is for ale in the classified. I couldn't get the A7II and Loxia to look significantly better than my Fuji XT-2. Pluse the menus and ergonomics were not for me. My camera sales guy told me to skip the E3 and get a second XT-2. The XT-2 has it all and the size and price is right.

Old 08-13-2018   #4
squirrel$$$bandit

Thanks! I did have an A7 for a little while and sold it, and have owned many Fujis...no complaints about IQ from me for any of these cameras. We're long past the time when I'd choose a camera for IQ...they're all fine now, as far as I'm concerned.

splitimageview, do you notice any real difference in the EVF on the X-E3?

Old 08-13-2018   #5
splitimageview

I never had them both at the same time, to compare directly. But have no complaints with the EVF on the X-E3.

Old 08-13-2018   #6
squirrel$$$bandit

OK, thank you!

Old 08-13-2018   #7
Dogman

Never had a Sony or an X-E3 but I did have an X-E2 and an X-E2S. Both nice small cameras with excellent features and, of course, great capability for image quality. I never had any complaints about them. I sold them because I preferred the OVF in the X-Pro1/2.

Old 08-13-2018   #8
ruby.monkey

If te EVF is important to you then you might as well go straight for the X-T2.

Old 08-13-2018   #9
FranZ

If your heart goes for the Contax G2; buy an X-Pro1 or X-Pro2 and some of the "fujicrons"
I used to own an G2 with the 21, 28, 45 and 90mm Zeiss lenses. Especially the 21mm Biogon and the 455 mm were stellar. You can recreate this experience with the X-Pro's and the OVF. Lenses faster than F2.0 will block a significant portion of the optical viewfinder.
I sold the G2 set because Contax didn't move to digital but sometimes I regret this sale. Such a sexy small and light combination.

FranZ

'The question is not what you look at, but what you see' - Thoreau

Sony A7R3, RX1Rm2, RX100M6 & a lot of fun

Old 08-13-2018   #10
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
Thanks! I did have an A7 for a little while and sold it, and have owned many Fujis...no complaints about IQ from me for any of these cameras. We're long past the time when I'd choose a camera for IQ...they're all fine now, as far as I'm concerned.

splitimageview, do you notice any real difference in the EVF on the X-E3?
I thought you shot an Olympus Pen with the 17/1.8?

Old 08-13-2018   #11
Archlich

I bought a X100F, then switched to a X-E3, sold it and bought a X-Pro 2, then a X-T2. In the end I sold everything and stuck to another X-E3.

I didn't like the hybrid finders. If OVF is mandatory I'd just use a M. The X-T2 itself is very nice, the EVF is huge, but I didn't need the extra build quality - and the extra weight. Since the X-E3 has the same sensor, processor and AF capability as all other current X-trans cameras, it fits my need very well.

The EVF is not X-T class but better than the hybrid ones in the X100F and X-Pro 2. It's better built and focuses much faster than the X-E2. Surely you don't need the extra pixel count but the ISO performance, color science and dynamic range are improved as well - the RAW files are so much more malleable than the ones my M Typ 262 produces. And at the end of the day its 12 oz weight makes its portability, which I personally value more than anything else, unbeatble.

There are two things the Fujis in general lag behind the Sony cameras: although the Fuji interface is vastly superior to Sony's, the cameras don't batch save every user settings (U1, U2, U3, etc.) so you can't change everything with a click on the dial. You have to tweak many parameters yourself to change its general behavior. The other thing is IBIS - no matter what Fuji says about the mount size, the fact is it's been made a standard feature among every other mirrorless systems...and no matter what us Fuji users say, it can be really handy.

Old 08-13-2018   #12
jsrockit

Quote:
Is the X-E3 worth the upgrade? I don't need the extra pixels on the sensor, and my main reason for buying a newer camera of any brand would be the improved EVF...which does not appear to have been upgraded from the X-E2, as far as I can see. Any of you who has experience with both, can you comment?
The only thing I can add... as a current X-E3 user and past X-E2 user is that the X-E3 feels smaller and the AF focuses better down to lower light levels than the X-E2. If the new sensor means nothing to you and you liked the shape of the X-E2 better...it's a great deal. Many like the X-T2, but it is DSLR shaped and we are on a RF site!!!!

Old 08-13-2018   #13
ptpdprinter

Quote:
I don't need the extra pixels on the sensor, and my main reason for buying a newer camera of any brand would be the improved EVF...which does not appear to have been upgraded from the X-E2, as far as I can see. Any of you who has experience with both, can you comment?
If you don't need the bump to 24MP, then go with the XE2. The EVF is the same. The XE3 is a fraction smalller, but I like the layout and handling of the XE2 better and never really considered the upgrade. For the difference in price, get a second lens or attend a workshop.

Old 08-13-2018   #14
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler_101 View Post
I thought you shot an Olympus Pen with the 17/1.8?
I did for a while...I went through a lot of cameras in a short time a few years ago.

What I really wish for is a full frame sensor like Sony's, in a compact, RF-style body like Fuji's, with a screen that can be swiveled and stowed entirely out of sight, like the Pen F's. This camera definitely does not exist! Unless you wanna count the M60, LOL.

Old 08-13-2018   #15
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
If you don't need the bump to 24MP, then go with the XE2. The EVF is the same. The XE3 is a fraction smalller, but I like the layout and handling of the XE2 better and never really considered the upgrade. For the difference in price, get a second lens or attend a workshop.
I think this is where I'm headed. I've actually had an X-E2 before and it's very cheap now. It'd be great if it had the EVF from the T1 and 2, as Helen suggests, but it's just fine as it is...

Old 08-13-2018   #16
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
If te EVF is important to you then you might as well go straight for the X-T2.
But if I'm gonna get a camera styled like the Ts, I'll get the Sony and the full frame sensor! I'm still considering this.

Old 08-13-2018   #17
jarski

Local auction site has XE2 for 200eur and been resisting (am using Sony gear). This thread came out wrong time

Old 08-14-2018   #18
willie_901

The XE-3has improved AF and the sensor uses dual conversion-gain technology.

Both these improvements make a difference in low light. At least I noticed a difference with my X-Pro 2.

Dual conversion-gain sensor technology is also used in all FUJIFILM bodies with XTrans III sensors, many newer SONY bodies (incluing the APS-C 6300) and the D-850.

If you aren't interested in low-light scenes, the the XE-2 would be more cost effective.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 08-14-2018   #19
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
The only thing I can add... as a current X-E3 user and past X-E2 user is that the X-E3 feels smaller and the AF focuses better down to lower light levels than the X-E2. If the new sensor means nothing to you and you liked the shape of the X-E2 better...it's a great deal. Many like the X-T2, but it is DSLR shaped and we are on a RF site!!!!

How is the EVF between the XE-2 and the XE-3? Improvements or about the same?

Thanks.

B2 (;->

Old 08-14-2018   #20
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
How is the EVF between the XE-2 and the XE-3? Improvements or about the same?
About the same...

Old 08-14-2018   #21
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
The XE-3has improved AF and the sensor uses dual conversion-gain technology.

Both these improvements make a difference in low light. At least I noticed a difference with my X-Pro 2.
I use both the X-E3 and X-Pro2... and in regards to these improvements, they appear to be the same to me.

Old 08-14-2018   #22
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

OP asked about the split view finder, for manual focus with my M mount lenses I find it worthless. I tried it several times and for some reason it just doesn't get it done for me. The focus peaking is better but not by a great deal. I stick to the Fuji lenses and use the AF.

Old 08-15-2018   #23
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I use both the X-E3 and X-Pro2... and in regards to these improvements, they appear to be the same to me.
Yes, they would be the same.

I was referring to the X-E3 compared to the X-E2. I assumed my X-Pro 2 was essentially identical to the X-E3 while the X-E2 would be similar to the X-T1 I used (XTrans III v s XTrans II).
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 08-15-2018   #24
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
Yes, they would be the same.

I was referring to the X-E3 compared to the X-E2. I assumed my X-Pro 2 was essentially identical to the X-E3 while the X-E2 would be similar to the X-T1 I used (XTrans III v s XTrans II).
Yes, I agree...

Old 08-15-2018   #25
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
OP asked about the split view finder, for manual focus with my M mount lenses I find it worthless. I tried it several times and for some reason it just doesn't get it done for me. The focus peaking is better but not by a great deal. I stick to the Fuji lenses and use the AF.
I hadn't actually been interested in that—but I agree, it isn't really useful to me. I do like focus peaking, though.

Old 08-16-2018   #26
willie_901

Quote:
I hadn't actually been interested in that—but I agree, it isn't really useful to me. I do like focus peaking, though.
With the X-Pro 2 I mostly use the OVF and MF. The Electronic Range Finder (FUJIFILM's terminology) with focus peaking is a useful focusing aid in MF mode (lens collar or back-button AF). The focus peaking window displays a small region corresponding to the actual focus region. Now the peaking is region specific. With just a quick glance I can see if the region is where I want it to be and if it is in focus.

I suspect this would be equally useful in EVF mode. But I don't use MF with the EVF, so I can't comment.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 08-16-2018   #27
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I had never tried the split image focusing with the fuji lenses, it works much better so there obviously needs to be some input from the lens.

Old 08-18-2018   #28
AlexBG

Quote:
But if I'm gonna get a camera styled like the Ts, I'll get the Sony and the full frame sensor! I'm still considering this.
I had a A7 then X-T1 then X-e2. Going back to get a A7ii now. I would get an X-e2 over an X-e3 just because of the price. Get an extra lens.

Unfortunately my reason for getting the A7ii next is because of adapting lenses and because looking back over lightroom I have a lot more 5 stars with the sony than anything else.

If you have a few quid then get a A7r/s/ii etc and good sony glass. If you want an ovf and fuji colours and x-t1/2, smaller fuji colours then x-e2. Luckily for you all your options are going to take great pictures so it's more a question of price and size.

Old 08-19-2018   #29
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBG View Post
I had a A7 then X-T1 then X-e2. Going back to get a A7ii now. I would get an X-e2 over an X-e3 just because of the price. Get an extra lens.

Unfortunately my reason for getting the A7ii next is because of adapting lenses and because looking back over lightroom I have a lot more 5 stars with the sony than anything else.

If you have a few quid then get a A7r/s/ii etc and good sony glass. If you want an ovf and fuji colours and x-t1/2, smaller fuji colours then x-e2. Luckily for you all your options are going to take great pictures so it's more a question of price and size.
I actually did buy an A7ii...it was back down to $1100 on Amazon. The combination of full frame, IBIS, and a full metal body clinched it. Should have it tomorrow...IBIS was the clincher, really, as I like shooting in near darkness at music events, and like adapted lenses.

Old 08-19-2018   #30
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
I did for a while...I went through a lot of cameras in a short time a few years ago.

What I really wish for is a full frame sensor like Sony's, in a compact, RF-style body like Fuji's, with a screen that can be swiveled and stowed entirely out of sight, like the Pen F's. This camera definitely does not exist! Unless you wanna count the M60, LOL.

Precisely what I'd like... but at Fuji prices, not Leica's.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 08-20-2018   #31
AlexBG

Quote:
I actually did buy an A7ii...it was back down to $1100 on Amazon. The combination of full frame, IBIS, and a full metal body clinched it. Should have it tomorrow...IBIS was the clincher, really, as I like shooting in near darkness at music events, and like adapted lenses.
Awesome, my favourite was an old canon fd 50mm 1.4 chrome nose. Lovely glow from that. Tried it on my x-t1 with a normal and focal reducing adapter and the look just wasn't the same.

Old 08-20-2018   #32
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBG View Post
Awesome, my favourite was an old canon fd 50mm 1.4 chrome nose. Lovely glow from that. Tried it on my x-t1 with a normal and focal reducing adapter and the look just wasn't the same.
I'm mostly eager to try out the 7artisans 50/1.1 on digital, but yeah, I'm thinking I'll get a little collection of FD primes! Haven't shot old Canon SLR lenses in a long time, and they're really affordable. I'd like to try out the 100/2 in particular.