Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 01-09-2019   #41
raydm6

Flickriver is also working...

http://flickriver.com/about/

Old 01-09-2019   #42
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
Outages of several hours to a couple of days have become common. What other big website does this? Are they running it out of their garage? They look like rank amateurs, and they have the cheek to charge for "Pro" accounts.
In addition to posting my own photos, I admin a ricoh gr street photography group. I am on flickr every day. I have never seen an outage for a full day even. There have been times where I've gotten the bad pandas, but, often though certainly not always, when i immediately reload the site, it works fine.

On more positive notes, in a bout of narcissism I was looking at my own flickr stream on the new big iPad pro at the Apple store and in a bout of vanity was impressed with how good the photos looked on that screen even though I rarely post anything larger thant 1024 pixels wide at 72 psi.

I also like the flickr android mobile app (mostly, I find it hard to navigate directly to some groups I like.)

I agree there should be no downtime, but I do get the sense the new owners are working to improve flickr.

Old 01-09-2019   #43
michaelphoto

Flickr going strong again in Denmark.

Old 01-09-2019   #44
Erik van Straten

Everything seems to be OK now.

Erik.

Old 01-09-2019   #45
robert blu
quiet photographer

A few problems in the afternoon but it seems ok now
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 01-09-2019   #46
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevres_babylone View Post
In addition to posting my own photos, I admin a ricoh gr street photography group. I am on flickr every day. I have never seen an outage for a full day even.
There was an outage of the activity stream some weeks ago where you would still see older posts but no new photos appeared for about 24h or so in many parts of the world including Northeast U.S. In other words, no new photos of people you followed appeared during that time, and while you could post a photo, nobody following you would see it in their stream and the photo wouldn't get any likes. Since the activity stream is most people's main interface to Flickr, that amounts to an outage. It's analogous to Facebook or Twitter being down. Shorter outages of that type have occurred since - you wouldn't necessarily notice that it's been down 2 hours unless you check the timestamps of the most recent updates (or see no new posts for a while).

Today's bad panda was a different kind of outage but came down to the same thing. It lasted most of the morning for me.

The outage on mobile push notifications has lasted for at least a week already. Staff has completely, Olympically ignored the very long user complaint threat on notifications on the support site.

They really do actively seem to be trying to antagonize users, by sending out their snippy user agreement emails almost always coordinated with technical problems.

Old 01-09-2019   #47
ajtruhan

I’ve had a Flickr for probably 10 years. I’m leaving (or at least not uploading anymore) because of they’re new limit. Why pay?

Old 01-09-2019   #48
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
There was an outage of the activity stream some weeks ago where you would still see older posts but no new photos appeared for about 24h or so...

The outage on mobile push notifications has lasted for at least a week already.....
Sorry, I wasn't aware of these. I can see the reasons for your concern and frustration.

Old 01-10-2019   #49
dmr
Registered Abuser

I got that yesterday morning when trying to view a Flickr link from a post here.

It was working in mid afternoon, CST.

Old 01-10-2019   #50
ebolton
Number 7614

I haven't been affected by any of the outages, but the basic design of this iteration of Flickr irritates me. When I pick a photo to examine, I have to click it again to get the full description (or caption). That's not the way I like to view, but I could live with that. What irritates me highly is when I back out of that picture to resume scanning my feed, it dumps me all the way back to the top, so I have to pass thru all the shots I already went through. I really don't like that architecture.

-Ed

Old 01-10-2019   #51
dmr
Registered Abuser

One thing I just noticed this morning. It seems to be slow(er) loading ALL of the photos on a page. When I first view a page, 2-3 of the photos are white/blank. Some of them fill in eventually but a couple of times I reloaded to get them all.

Old 01-10-2019   #52
Out to Lunch

In Vietnam, yesterday was bad but today Flickr is back without interruptions. I suppose they are busy weeding out the non-pro +1000 pic members.

Old 01-10-2019   #53
John Lawrence

Working fine for me in the UK today.

John

Old 01-10-2019   #54
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
I'm one of those sub-1K users. Yesterday I deleted 600 images to keep my free status. The delete ran a long time, so maybe cheapskates like me are what's slowing down the rest of you.

John
I deleted some of my photos to keep Flickr stream at 1000 photos. I won't delete more but no more updates there, instead of my Instagram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 01-10-2019   #55
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
Your Instagram is very nice. So how will you post to RFF if your Flickr is full? Forum posting is the only reason I keep Flickr.

John
I use this website https://downloadgram.com/
Then copy image url and embed to RFf, of course it is not straightforward as Flickr but still manageable.
You can check latest uploads in my Hanoi thread, link in signature

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 01-10-2019   #56
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

No Pandas pooled bad on my screen.
But I'm finding it to be harder and harder to browse on images from good people I follow.
It is mess. I prefer classic RFF and other forums layout/view.
I'm also not sure if it is my eyes or they degraded image quality.

Old 01-10-2019   #57
bcostin

Yes. I've seen a few of the "Bad Panda" errors. And I've gotten an error when doing an export from Lightroom. But more often the site's been hanging and not fully rendering when loading a page or when navigating to a new page. I've had to close the tab and start over a few times.

I suspect that the new owners are making some back-end changes and migrating the data to new hosting arrangements, and we're seeing some side effects in dropped sessions and timeouts. Yahoo had neglected flickr for a very long time, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a LOT of deferred maintenance and updates to catch up on. It's nearly impossible to do that sort of work without some glitches. If it gets worse instead of better then it might be a sign of deeper issues.

Old 01-10-2019   #58
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
I suppose they are busy weeding out the non-pro +1000 pic members.
I'm getting regular pop-ups saying I am close to the 1000 limit (I am) and it gives two options, "Go Pro" and "Remind Me Later", no "X" in the corner to dismiss or "No Thanks" or anything like that.

Old 01-10-2019   #59
pesphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
I'm getting regular pop-ups saying I am close to the 1000 limit (I am) and it gives two options, "Go Pro" and "Remind Me Later", no "X" in the corner to dismiss or "No Thanks" or anything like that.
I weeded out my stream to give me room under the 1000 for more.
I keep getting that popup also, and imagine they are going to make not paying for PRO as annoying as possible to force us to pay or quit entirely.

Anyone else noticing that Flickr is working poorly?
Old 01-10-2019   #60
maigo

The iPhone Flickr app is solid, if a little feature deprived.
No panda errors before or after the Flickr company.

Old 01-11-2019   #61
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolton View Post
I haven't been affected by any of the outages, but the basic design of this iteration of Flickr irritates me. When I pick a photo to examine, I have to click it again to get the full description (or caption). That's not the way I like to view, but I could live with that. What irritates me highly is when I back out of that picture to resume scanning my feed, it dumps me all the way back to the top, so I have to pass thru all the shots I already went through. I really don't like that architecture.

-Ed
It's an awful architecture, and there are many bugs in the browser versions. A workaround for this one is to open the image in a new browser window.

Old 01-12-2019   #62
olifaunt

For example, right now I see the activity stream has been down for at least two hours (last posts it shows are two hours ago), so I can't post anything today because none of my followers will see it.

The last time they resumed after this problem they didn't show the missing photos later either, they just totally skipped them.

Imagine the Instagram feed being down on a Saturday - it wouldn't happen. So maybe I'll be forced to join the Facebook universe by this kind of thing. I really don't want to, but a number of great photographers I follow have recently disappeared from Flickr.

Old 01-16-2019   #63
Larry Cloetta

I had not looked at this thread until today. I had seen the bad panda screens when this thread popped up, so I thought that was all it was about, and occasional new weirdness for loading pages.
But, today I was browsing looking at photos from different lenses, and made a comment on one image. Instead of my anonymous screen name being used, it popped up under my actual name, which is first, and should not have happened. At least it was a complimentary comment. Tried it a few other places, and same thing. All the places site wide where it should have been my screen name it was my actual name instead. When I looked at the settings for my account, it was all correct, so the account settings are correct, but the behavior is wrong.
It doesn’t bother me that much, and I did email them about it, but there are definitely some ongoing glitches there, more than just failure to load pages, or to go back to the prior page when you want to.

Old 01-16-2019   #64
robert blu
quiet photographer

What Larry says happened to me as well. I thought it was my mistake, but it seems it wasn't. It something to be verified.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 01-16-2019   #65
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
I had not looked at this thread until today. I had seen the bad panda screens when this thread popped up, so I thought that was all it was about, and occasional new weirdness for loading pages.
I guess they are full in the process of killing themselves slowly, err sorry... I mean "forcing the photo limit" upon everyone to make flickr more attractive to "real photographers"...

Old 01-16-2019   #66
Michael Markey

Working fine for me in the UK.
I`m impressed with their quick feed back to customer problems on Twitter.

Old 01-16-2019   #67
Larry Cloetta

Okay, now that Flickr has made my contact information public today, I just got, for the first time in the 12 or so years I have been registered there, this in my private email:

[Flickr] You've been invited to join Sex Sluts!

They didn’t say if there was any kind of initiation, or I could just join them.

Old 01-16-2019   #68
maigo

When I am logged into Flickr I see my full name.
When I am not, I see my screen name.

Flickr password database was hacked in the past two years - have you changed your password?

Flickr spam accounts come and go with invitations to join pr0n groups or they fav-spam thousands of unrelated images in a short period.
A purported purpose of these fake accounts is to establish a pseudo realistic internet trail for later use in phishing trips.

Old 01-16-2019   #69
Steve M.

I'm pretty sure the Sex Sluts will require some sort of monetary transaction Larry

Not that I have any personal experience w/ that sort of thing. I probably just read about it somewhere. Or something.

Old 01-16-2019   #70
dourbalistar

I never entered my real name in Flickr. Nevertheless, I received an invitation to join the Find Sex Models group. Not sure if that's better or worse than Larry's Sex Slut invitation.

flickr

Old 01-17-2019   #71
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Okay, now that Flickr has made my contact information public today, I just got, for the first time in the 12 or so years I have been registered there, this in my private email:

[Flickr] You've been invited to join Sex Sluts!

They didn’t say if there was any kind of initiation, or I could just join them.
I am getting this kind of shyte too.

Old 01-17-2019   #72
brbo

I feel left out!

Old 01-17-2019   #73
John Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
I am getting this kind of shyte too.
I'm getting the same sort of thing - a couple of invites from similar 'groups' over the past few days.

When I click the 'No Thanks / decline' button, nothing happens!

John

Old 01-17-2019   #74
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
I never entered my real name in Flickr. Nevertheless, I received an invitation to join the Find Sex Models group. Not sure if that's better or worse than Larry's Sex Slut invitation.
Better, worse, hard to say. Maybe the actual sex sluts are reserved for people on Social Security, and younger people only get models. Graduated depending on one’s perceived needs.

Old 02-01-2019   #75
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
I feel left out!
Finally got the "indecent proposal" to the email that I registered my flickr account with.

I was beginning to worry that the new owners forgot to sell my personal data...

(of course, it might be just the usual case of incompetence)

Old 02-01-2019   #76
John Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Finally got the "indecent proposal" to the email that I registered my flickr account with.

I was beginning to worry that the new owners forgot to sell my personal data...

(of course, it might be just the usual case of incompetence)
Was it worth waiting for?

On a separate note, people I know who've never had a Flickr account have received messages purporting to be from Flickr advising them to upgrade to 'Pro' status.....

John

Old 02-01-2019   #77
Out to Lunch

Working fine here in Asia. The webmasters must be busy weeding out the +1000 pics cheap skates elsewhere.

Old 02-01-2019   #78
joe bosak

Not had any problems, nor spam, from PC or ipad.

Old 02-01-2019   #79
charjohncarter

I can't fill out a search on the first try. But what really bothers me is the re-try after waiting for images to load.

Old 02-12-2019   #80
olifaunt

In case anyone was wondering why they didn't get many faves - Now the browser version has that same bug again where the faves don't take (it had that before as well).

You can do a few faves, then after that you have to open each photo in a new window to fave it, because in the main stream you can press the star as many times you want and it won't fave. This happens in more than one browser brand.

I'm really up to here. It's a pain in the butt to have to build a new following on IG but I am being forced to do it.