Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Yaschica repair
Old 12-12-2018   #1
crsantin

Yaschica repair

Hello everyone,

The shutter on my Yashica 24 has broken. Does anyone know of a good camera repair shop/person in the Toronto, Canada area that can do such a repair? I've been searching and haven't turned up anything. I'd be willing to travel anywhere around the Southern Ontario region to take it in. I miss shooting with it and would like to get it functioning again, it's a great camera.

Old 12-12-2018   #2
dxq.canada

Don't think there is anyone around here anymore ... at least not with a web presence.
What's exactly wrong with it? TLR's are not that difficult to take apart.

Old 12-12-2018   #3
Steve M.

Isn't that a camera that only shoots 220 film? For what repairs cost, it might be better to sell yours as is, and buy a TLR that can shoot 120 as well as 220 film. There's a lot of those around, such as the Yashica 124G..

Old 12-12-2018   #4
dxq.canada

124G's are overpriced

Old 12-12-2018   #5
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

And unlike the other YashicaMats , the 124G used plastic for the lens mounting plate and even plastic nuts to hold the lens to that plastic plate , kinda what happens when the bean counters take control ! I used to own 4 of them, (obsessive, compulsive ?) Peter

Old 12-13-2018   #6
Sega

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsantin View Post
Hello everyone,

The shutter on my Yashica 24 has broken. Does anyone know of a good camera repair shop/person in the Toronto, Canada area that can do such a repair? I've been searching and haven't turned up anything. I'd be willing to travel anywhere around the Southern Ontario region to take it in. I miss shooting with it and would like to get it functioning again, it's a great camera.
When you say broken is it a case its stuck when you try to fire it, also is it a leaf style shutter?

Some times grease and debris can stick them and you may be able to free it up yourself with a little gentle operation and clean dependant on where it sits as you could end up paying a fair whack for somone to do it for you.

Old 12-14-2018   #7
crsantin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sega View Post
When you say broken is it a case its stuck when you try to fire it, also is it a leaf style shutter?

Some times grease and debris can stick them and you may be able to free it up yourself with a little gentle operation and clean dependant on where it sits as you could end up paying a fair whack for somone to do it for you.
When I depress the shutter button, it does go down but there is no click or snick. Something releases as I am able to advance the film but it doesn't sound or feel right at all. I will have a look at it myself and see what I can do. Let me try and get a couple of pictures of the insides up this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-14-2018   #8
crsantin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
Isn't that a camera that only shoots 220 film? For what repairs cost, it might be better to sell yours as is, and buy a TLR that can shoot 120 as well as 220 film. There's a lot of those around, such as the Yashica 124G..
It shoots 220 as well as 120. I've been shooting 120 with it for years with great results. I'll attempt to repair it myself. If that doesn't work then I will look for another.

Old 12-14-2018   #9
zuikologist

May be helpful?

http://yashicatlr.com/ProblemDatesNames.html

Old 12-14-2018   #10
Dpingr1

This could be a variation on the dreaded "self-timer with synchro selecter at M" problem. The self timer switch (bottom right when facing the front of the camera) should be all the way to the right (not set). The synchro selector should be set at X. As a practical matter, never use or move these! Either can cause problems if not working correctly. Also, even if they are working perfectly, using the self-timer with the synchro switch at M can cause a jam that may require disassembly to repair. Don't force any levers, but make sure those are in the proper positions before trying anything else. Mark Hama is the guru of Yashica TLR repair, if he is still in the business, but many camera repair shops can handle this, unless an unusual part is needed. If the release button is allowing you to advance the film, however, it does sound like a gummed-up shutter.

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in." -- H. D. T.

Old 12-14-2018   #11
crsantin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpingr1 View Post
This could be a variation on the dreaded "self-timer with synchro selecter at M" problem. The self timer switch (bottom right when facing the front of the camera) should be all the way to the right (not set). The synchro selector should be set at X. As a practical matter, never use or move these! Either can cause problems if not working correctly. Also, even if they are working perfectly, using the self-timer with the synchro switch at M can cause a jam that may require disassembly to repair. Don't force any levers, but make sure those are in the proper positions before trying anything else. Mark Hama is the guru of Yashica TLR repair, if he is still in the business, but many camera repair shops can handle this, unless an unusual part is needed. If the release button is allowing you to advance the film, however, it does sound like a gummed-up shutter.
Yes I'm aware of this quirk. I don't think that's my problem as I never use the self timer. I don't think anything got accidentally bumped. I've used the camera for years without issue. If I can't fix it myself I would probably be better off finding another Yashica TLR.

Old 12-14-2018   #12
dxq.canada

Hmm, I wonder if the shutter is not getting fully set when you crank it.
I had a Yashica that had this problem ... I found it was caused by a bent lever that would not fully push down the shutter cocking lever ... so you would crank the winder arm around and all the shutter button does is release the winder arm so it able to be wound around again.
https://oldcam.wordpress.com/2017/05...mat-124g-flaw/

Old 12-15-2018   #13
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Sounds like this camera just needs a CLA. The linkage which cocks the shutter may be a little loose or bent and that is why you hear a click (which is releasing the film transport lock) but the shutter doesn't fire. Its an easy fix. I've done it on a 635 and a D with good results. Much easier working on these than a Rolleicord!
Phil Forrest