Pentax zoom90WR - wowza!
Old 02-06-2019   #1
Huss

Pentax zoom90WR - wowza!

This camera blew my away. Water resistant, solid sturdy construction, very little focus/shutter lag (unlike my awful Oly mju). Killer lens. Killer exposures.
Cost me $10. $10 freakin $ss!

Highly recommended.

Pics using Fuji C200, scanned by Nikon Z7, negativelabpro.com conversion.

Old 02-06-2019   #2
farlymac
PF McFarland

Well, I guess this gives you a good reason to send back the Nikon Action Touch.

PF

Old 02-06-2019   #3
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Well, I guess this gives you a good reason to send back the Nikon Action Touch.

PF

Still want one, that works!

Old 02-06-2019   #4
papaki

I love those small Pentax cameras. I bought for 3 euros in a local flea market the little Pentax iqzoom 120mi and I have it always in my bag. Far better than my Oly MJU-II although it has a slower lens (f5 instead of f2.8), but it has a readable LCD atop illuminated in low light (the flash of the mju has embarrassed me quite a few times as I could not see if I had it disabled or not) and I get much more consistent results with it (although I still love the slick slim lines of my mju).

Old 02-07-2019   #5
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I had one of those years ago. Gave it to a woman I was dating. One of the best point-n-shoot 35mm cameras I have ever used!

Old 02-07-2019   #6
NickTrop

I'm always on the look out for a good undervalued P&S. Have you seen the prices for these lately? Especially the ones getting some internet press? (The Yashica T's, that Minolta the lomographers like, the Konica Big Minis? Crazy. I'm sorry I sold or gave one or two away. The Yashica T3 I had (which broke into peces like it was made of glass when I dropped it) is going for like $200. The one user I kept I truly dig -- Pentax PC35 AF, with the annoying low light beeper disabled. That one doesn't go for "too" much. I think people are crazy spending any kind of real dough on these things. When they die, they're dead -- no bringing these back to life.

I'll check these out. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-07-2019   #7
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
I'm always on the look out for a good undervalued P&S...
There's a lot of good P&S's out there from the point where AF's started to appear; I think/hope the makers were so taken with the AF that they quickly marketed them with decent glass lenses etc from the previous range of zone and RF cameras. They tended to be large "compact" P&S's...

Anyway, that's my 2d worth and I'll wish you the best of luck finding something.

Regards, David

Old 02-07-2019   #8
Huss

Quote:
I'm always on the look out for a good undervalued P&S. Have you seen the prices for these lately? Especially the ones getting some internet press? (The Yashica T's, that Minolta the lomographers like, the Konica Big Minis? Crazy. I'm sorry I sold or gave one or two away. The Yashica T3 I had (which broke into peces like it was made of glass when I dropped it) is going for like $200. The one user I kept I truly dig -- Pentax PC35 AF, with the annoying low light beeper disabled. That one doesn't go for "too" much. I think people are crazy spending any kind of real dough on these things. When they die, they're dead -- no bringing these back to life.

I'll check these out. Thanks for the tip.
These two I recently used are also really good, and dirt cheap:

https://rangefinderforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=167394

But my take away is the Pentax seems to have the best lens out of the lot so far. And is a little more rugged.
Funny thing how very specific P&S cameras become popular and stupid expensive for no reason other than they are trendy. There are so many really really good cameras out there for under $30!

Old 02-07-2019   #9
Huss

Hmm, while the lens on the Pentax is awesome - see photo with then 1:1 crop below:

The Nikon ZoomTouch 800 is just as good. And $20. And has the bonus of having greater exposure control, but far more fiddly to use (and not splashproof and less rugged)

ZoomTouch pic with 1:1 underneath:

I think that this shows there is a great selection of really good, really cheap cameras out there!

Old 02-07-2019   #10
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Anyway, that's my 2d worth and I'll wish you the best of luck finding something.
Regards, David
Thanks, David. I actually do have a Konica 35MF coming in the mail I ordered a week ago! I have to stay away from these things... The tend to "accumulate".

Old 02-07-2019   #11
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
These two I recently used are also really good, and dirt cheap:

https://rangefinderforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=167394

But my take away is the Pentax seems to have the best lens out of the lot so far. And is a little more rugged.
Funny thing how very specific P&S cameras become popular and stupid expensive for no reason other than they are trendy. There are so many really really good cameras out there for under $30!
Huss -- I read that thread and looked at some on eBay. I never got results like you posted on any point-n-shooter I ever owned. The only deals now really are the zooms -- or some models that fall between the cracks. I actually picked up a Konica C35 ML cheap that should be coming in the mail. I have to stay away as I caught myself looking and --almost-- pulled the trigger on an Espio, but stopped myself. I really like the PC35AF as it is quiet (with the beeper removed) and I think has a slightly better glass. I figure the Konica I'll keep as my "car camera", cheap, kinda a beater. I figure it has the same lens as the Konica C35. Konica always made good glass.

It's kind of interesting what some of the prices of some of these cameras -- like the Nikons, went for "then" that didn't retain any value as opposed to the cameras that did retain value.

I won't spend anything more than $40 on any of them. Unlike rangefinders and SLRs, these things go kaput and that's it, they're toast. I've had several just die on me over the years. No way.

Old 02-07-2019   #12
Huss

Quote:
Huss -- I read that thread and looked at some on eBay. I never got results like you posted on any point-n-shooter I ever owned. The only deals now really are the zooms -- or some models that fall between the cracks....
Yeah all of mine are zoom P&S cameras. I treat them as fixed focal length cameras (so I don't have to worry about f9 etc max apertures on the long end!) that have the ability to get closer if needed.
It is the zoom P&S cameras which are cheap to buy. I'm all for that!

Old 02-07-2019   #13
kyte

I have the exact same camera. Gives better results than some of my other cameras. The only issue with my copy has a non-working remote controller. The controller appears to function (new battery and IR sender works) but the switch on body that detects remote has been removed from body may be sticking. Any ideas on how to fix it is welcome.

Old 02-08-2019   #14
kuvvy

Got a Zoom 90 WR on it’s way

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 02-08-2019   #15
Huss

Nice! The owner’s manual is available online if u dont get one w the camera.

Old 02-10-2019   #16
Huss

Puppies for sale, two for a dollar!
(Pentax zoom 90WR with Fuji C200)

Old 02-10-2019   #17
Deardorff38

Nice B/W Huss.... i guess you can pass along your Leica rangefinders now ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
This camera blew my away. Water resistant, solid sturdy construction, very little focus/shutter lag (unlike my awful Oly mju). Killer lens. Killer exposures.
Cost me $10. $10 freakin $ss!

Highly recommended.

Pics using Fuji C200, scanned by Nikon Z7, negativelabpro.com conversion.

Old 02-10-2019   #18
rjstep3

Two things against it:
  1. bulk
  2. wide angle limited to 38mm
Other than these, I sort of agree with you. I got one on my honeymoon, when I went digital, my wife threw it away saying I would never use it again. I have since bought several on ebay, but the remote control thing never worked. The bodies still work and, as everyone says, it is quite a (large) gem.

Old 02-10-2019   #19
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post
Nice B/W Huss.... i guess you can pass along your Leica rangefinders now ?
Yeah, I already threw them into the trash can. Man was I suckered by them when all I needed was a $10 P&S!

Old 03-31-2019   #20
GarageBoy

Threads like this makes me want to grab a cheap zoom p+s

Always wanted the 28mm wide ones like the 928 or the Olympus stylus wide 80 - or one of those super late, end of film era ED lens Nikons and real time canons

Old 04-01-2019   #21
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

When buying one make sure the flexible rubbery cover on shutter release is intact.
Years ago I had one repaired but the special adhesive cost as much as the camera.
It will work without it, but if you want camera to be weatherproof it must be present.

Chris