Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Recommend a MF Camera. Criteria Inside.
Old 02-13-2019   #1
B-9
Devin Bro

Recommend a MF Camera. Criteria Inside.

I’ve got a nice but small 35mm kit.

I’ve got a nice little GRDII digital kit.

As I gear up to find homes for the rest of it ALL I find myself with a ton of 120 film and a strong urge to shoot it and not with the Holga or Diana.

Criteria:
No folders (or bellows)
No uncoupled rangefinders
Standard lens (35-50 equivalent)
Price 400-600$ USD

Just set up a jar to start saving the old way. The plan is to sell what’s left of other kits as well as saving the odd pocket change here and there.

I have ZERO preference for format. 645-690 it’s all fine to burn film with.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 02-13-2019   #2
Kai-san
Filmwaster

Since your money will not buy a Hasselblad I would recommend another 6x6 camera that I have had a lot of fun with, the Pentacon 6 TL. For USD 600 I believe you can get an extra lens or two as well.

If you prefer rangefinders there are Fuji models galore to choose from.

Old 02-13-2019   #3
Huss

Yashicamat 124g 6x6 tlr @ about $200. Just bought one (unfortunately had to return due to overlapping frames) but I can see from the roll I shot that the lens is very very good, matching up to my Rolleiflexes. Handles great,bright easy to focus screen. Makes
the sound of a coffee grinder when u wind on the film.
Rolleiflex MX-EVS 3.5 about $500. Lens seems to match up to my 2.8 Rolleiflex. Incredible jewel like comstruction but kinda dim focus screen.
Mamiya 645 Pro series system SLR. Under $500 w lens. Excellent results, easy to use, big heavy, not very fun. A tool.
Fuji GW690 series - can be found under $600. Texas Leica. Awesome lenses and results. 6x9 image can be cropped down to pretty much any other mf format w zero loss of quality. Solid, sturdy but not really fun to use if that matters.
Lomo LC-A 120. Quirky but can give great results. Does not feel built to last.

Anyway, the above are mf cameras that I have used under $600

Old 02-13-2019   #4
CharlesDAMorgan

I love both my Rolleiflex 3.5F (probably out of budget) and my Rolleicord Va. Or a Yashica TLR.

Bronica SLRs offer excellent image quality and value for money.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 02-13-2019   #5
Kai-san
Filmwaster

I forgot about TLR's, they are great when you get used to them. One of the undervalued gems is the Minolta Autocord. The Rokkor lenses are knife sharp and it is a joy to use. I think you can still get them for a very good price.

Old 02-13-2019   #6
DominikDUK

The later Rolleicords are a good choice they are lighter than the Rolleiflex and do have a Xenar lens which is just as good as a Tessar. Earlier Rolleiflex are also an option but I don't always trust the Automatic film feeler. The Rolleicords are also usually quiet a bit less expensive than the Rolleiflex.

The Mamiya C330 or C220 are affordable and they have interchangeable lenses that are also affordable.
The Pentacon six has some great glass and is not expensive.
The Kiev 60 is less failure prone than the Pentacon six and has the same mount so great lenses.
The Mamiya RB67 can be found for under 600 Dollars and they are great just not that portable. Earlier Pentax 67 can also be found for under 600.
Basically it all depends on your shooting style rent (from friends, etc) a camera before you buy. TLRs are great just not everyones cup of tea the same applies to pretty much every camera.

Old 02-13-2019   #7
Gerry M
Gerry

If you can find a Fuji GA645, the images produced are second to none. I use mine more than my 3.5E2, 2.8E or P645N. Just great to pickup and shoot with.

Old 02-13-2019   #8
css9450

Another vote for a TLR of some sort. I am sure there is something that meets your needs and budget. Even a user Rolleiflex with cosmetic issues can take great photos if its been serviced somewhat.

I resisted TLRs for many years but now I think they're wonderful.

Old 02-13-2019   #9
DominikDUK

Also forgot the Meopta flexaret and Ikoflex the latter Flexaret can give the Rolleiflex (pre Planar) a run for its money and the Czech despite being a former "eastern Block" country made and still make great quality products. The Post war Zeiss Ikoflex with a Tessar is a superb camera (just suffers a bit from Zeiss interlock craze).

Old 02-13-2019   #10
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

Devin, I listed a Kowa Super 66 kit for $425 plus shipping in the classifieds over the holidays; I still have it—80 & 250 lens, 2 filmbacks, 3 VF, grip, maybe a Pola back too. It’s a beast best on a tripod.

I’ve consolidated to lighter MF carries—Fuji GF670 and GA645, Rolleiflex 2.8D. As Huss points out, a Fuji 690 gives you the most negative to work with. I have never gotten a bad exposure with the GA645, nor with a Bronica RF 645–both have good metering, portrait orientation. Fuji GA/GW models should be cheaper than Bronica RFs.

http://rhl.photography

Old 02-13-2019   #11
Timmyjoe

I'm looking for something similar to B-9 and in my searching, I've come across information about the shutters on the Fuji 645,670,690 cameras. Information I've found says the shutters need to be serviced after 5000 clicks, or they start to slow down, and if not serviced by 10,000 clicks, they die. Is that true? I'm used to my work cameras having nearly 100,000 clicks and they're still humming along just fine.

Do the Fuji cameras really need service that often, and where can you get them serviced here in the States?

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 02-13-2019   #12
B-9
Devin Bro

Robert,

My heart says GA645,

Wallets yelling “let’s see what we can afford this summer”

The GW690III also peaks my interest and can be found in my budget.

In all honesty, I’ll proly avoid TLRs, been there done that.

Edit: What Tim said! ^^^

Old 02-13-2019   #13
Scapevision

Fuji GW690 of Fujica G690BL will burn through your excess of 120 like there's no tomorrow.

Old 02-13-2019   #14
Scapevision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
I'm looking for something similar to B-9 and in my searching, I've come across information about the shutters on the Fuji 645,670,690 cameras. Information I've found says the shutters need to be serviced after 5000 clicks, or they start to slow down, and if not serviced by 10,000 clicks, they die. Is that true? I'm used to my work cameras having nearly 100,000 clicks and they're still humming along just fine.

Do the Fuji cameras really need service that often, and where can you get them serviced here in the States?

Best,
-Tim
not true, it's easy to find them from japan on ebay to worry. I've had 3 and none had issues whatsoever. Some do develop light curtain problems, which don't really affect its uses if not changing lenses mid-roll.

Old 02-13-2019   #15
mpaniagua

My bet is on either the Mamiya 645 1000s or the Bronica ETRS.

I think those would be within your budget, readily available and lens on either system are gorgeous.

Best regards

Marcelo

Old 02-13-2019   #16
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
My bet is on either the Mamiya 645 1000s or the Bronica ETRS.

I think those would be within your budget, readily available and lens on either system are gorgeous.

Best regards

Marcelo
By the way, this post got me into the mood to undust my Mamiya 645. Will give it a walk this week.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 02-13-2019   #17
B-9
Devin Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapevision View Post
Fuji GW690 of Fujica G690BL will burn through your excess of 120 like there's no tomorrow.
Lol, efficiently extinguishing the problem it was purchased to solve.

Old 02-13-2019   #18
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Bronica ETRS.

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 02-13-2019   #19
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Bronica ETRS.
Only issue with those is it will take way longer to burn the film than a 6x9

Old 02-13-2019   #20
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

Doesn’t TLR really stand for “Tilt Left/Right”—and still get the framing wrong? I feel (and no doubt look) like a bobblehead when I hang a TLR from a strap. Keeping it on a light monopod helps minimize the shuffle-a-stoop-a-dope.

http://rhl.photography

Old 02-13-2019   #21
markjwyatt

Mamiya C330f or C220f with 80mm lens, probably $400 in top shape, probably with waist-level and prism finder. I used them for years and love them. With your budget you might fit an additional lens in (55mm is very nice).

Old 02-13-2019   #22
mpaniagua

No bellows love though

Old 02-13-2019   #23
B-9
Devin Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
No bellows love though
Go ahead sneak a few in! ;p

Old 02-13-2019   #24
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

I had a C220 for a while, and thought it was very good, but since bellows are apparently off limits this would seem to exclude the Mamiya TLRs.

I'd suggest a good Rolleicord V–Vb twin lens, the Xenars are a very good lens.

Old 02-13-2019   #25
nickthetasmaniac

If you’re happy with a TLR I would also recommend a Autocord. Your budget will get you one in excellent, serviced condition with money to spare to add to your 120 film collection. And that 75mm Rokkor ��

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 02-13-2019   #26
markjwyatt

Sorry- did not catch the "or bellows" criteria attached to the folder criteria. I like the bellows. With the paramender, I had macro capabilities.

My wish list for MF is a Super Ikonta, but I am used to bellows.

Old 02-13-2019   #27
oftheherd

A Mamiya Universal would fit your desires, but is heavy. It has interchangeable lenses. I have the Super Press 23 which has a bellows, but that is on the back and would normally only be used for perspective control.

Old 02-13-2019   #28
Gerry M
Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhl-oregon View Post
Doesn’t TLR really stand for “Tilt Left/Right”—and still get the framing wrong? I feel (and no doubt look) like a bobblehead when I hang a TLR from a strap. Keeping it on a light monopod helps minimize the shuffle-a-stoop-a-dope.
**Too funny!!**

Old 02-13-2019   #29
JeffS7444

My top pick would be the Fuji GA645zi, which is perhaps the most advanced medium format film camera ever made. Plus it's also a super-handy grab 'n go package. But I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the GA-series cameras.

The 6x9 cameras handle nicely and they're not too heavy for what they are, but they are large. And in order to exploit all that the optics and the big negative are capable of, you'll want to hold the camera extra steady. Note that if you buy the 6x7, 6x8 and 6x9 cameras from Japan they may have high mileage, as these were popular for group photos at scenic spots (which is why they also have provisions for 4-exposure rolls of film)

Old 02-13-2019   #30
mpaniagua

Mamiya C's TLR series are nice, but heavy. If you are into 6x9, you can try the Horseman "tech" camera, like Horseman 970. They go pretty cheap and lens are pretty good. They also have some tech movement on both the front standard and the back one.

I've one of those with 3 lens, and they are pretty fun to use, although they are heavy and slow.

I would say your budget could get you one camera, back and probably 2 lens.

Best regards

Marcelo

Old 02-13-2019   #31
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
If you’re happy with a TLR I would also recommend a Autocord. Your budget will get you one in excellent, serviced condition with money to spare to add to your 120 film collection. And that 75mm Rokkor ��
+1 I've never heard anything but praise for these cameras. Mine doesn't get the use it deserves ... shame on me.

My Flickr

Old 02-13-2019   #32
Godfrey
somewhat colored

As a long-time Rolleiflex TLR enthusiast, I started to recommend one of those ... but if I were actually looking for another camera of this type, I'd buy a Fuji GS645S in a heartbeat. It's got a stunningly sharp 60mm lens on 6x4.5 format, a nice rangefinder/viewfinder, and is pre-electronic-controls (what I hated about the GA645Zi). Light, compact, about a 35mm eqFoV lens, etc etc.

That'd be my pick. Of course, I'll just keep using my Voigtländer Perkeo II 6x6, which doesn't meet your criteria.

G

Old 02-13-2019   #33
ChipMcD

I learned photography on a Yashicamat TLR almost 50 years ago, and they are still available and working. A Rollei MVS would probably be within your budget. Almost any other Rollei within that price range is likely to need servicing, which would restore it to perfect working order, but which would blow your budget bigtime and would mean that you would be without the camera for weeks or months. The Fuji 690s of various series are likely not going to be within your budget, or be at the high end. I'm unfamiliar with some of the other cameras suggested.

Old 02-13-2019   #34
aizan

Almost everything in this filtered list of completed auctions meets those criteria. I have some of the usual suspects and have tried many more, and I'd recommend all of them for different purposes.

Can you tell me more about what you intend to do?

I looked at your IG, and I see you really like rangefinders (duh), and you sold off a Fujifilm GA645zi several years ago. I take it the automation and motors weren't doing it for you?

Going off of those clues, I'd recommend the Fujica GS645S since it doesn't have bellows, or any of the Fuji 6x9/6x8/6x7 cameras. I really enjoy the GW690III and GSW690III, and I liked the GL690 that I used to have. They're very solid feeling, more so than the GF670. I'd also look at the Mamiya Universal Press cameras and the like.

If it were up to me, I'd look at bellows cameras, too. Lots of great options.

Old 02-13-2019   #35
B-9
Devin Bro

Well played Godfrey!

With all the GA hype in my searches I nearly overlooked the GS models...

The "Wide 60" would meet the criteria well at the lower end of my budget.

Edit: Aizan my Zi was a basket case. The viewfinder was butchered and required some pretty serious mods to get it "working". Sold the lemon. Loved the camera.

Also does anyone who has a GS645 know if the odd 80's techno grip covering removable?

Old 02-13-2019   #36
santino
eXpect me

Pentacon Six - inexpensive and some incredible lenses - eg the 180 2.8 Sonnar.

Old 02-13-2019   #37
Deardorff38

Since you aren't keen on TLRs I'd suggest the Fuji, GW670,680,690 series. The Fujica 645s historically have more problems (bellows etc). I'm personally not a fan of 645. On the subject of TLRs..... medium format & large format are (clearly) an entirely different thing from Leica rangefinders. Once i got over the learning curve my favourite is the Rolleiflex.... it has killer lenses, is small and light. I often carry both the leica M and the Rolleiflex while travelling. The Fuji are big but moderate in weight.... Pentax 67 are heavy and bulky. You won't find a Mamiya 6 or 7 in your price bracket. Results from all will bury a 35mm... Let us know what you decide.

Old 02-13-2019   #38
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Well played Godfrey!
With all the GA hype in my searches I nearly overlooked the GS models...
The "Wide 60" would meet the criteria well at the lower end of my budget.
Also does anyone who has a GS645 know if the odd 80's techno grip covering removable?
Glad to help. I may just have to buy one of these again for myself, you've gotten me thinking how much I liked the one I had so many years ago... I may have to acquire one. They seem fairly plentiful at reasonable prices. Darn you!

I made the mistake in my post before talking about the 45mm lens that I've corrected now. The 45mm model is scale focus only; the 60mm model has the rangefinder. For me, and I had four different Fuji GS/GA 645 cameras over the years, this was the best of them. Very nice handling, very nice lens, simple and reliable.

I don't recall there's anything removable on the grip. The tripod screw mount is on the end of the grip so it has to be a pretty sturdy.

BTW: Search for "Fuji GS645S instruction manual" and you'll find M.Butkus has the PDF file. I just sent in another donation ... he's provided a boat load of manuals for me over the years, so I post some money to the site now and then.

G

Old 02-13-2019   #39
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Yes, it's removable.

Old 02-13-2019   #40
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Mamiya C330 w/80mm will do everything you want and more.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/