What's the upper limit of APS-C for printing
Old 02-15-2019   #1
nightfly

What's the upper limit of APS-C for printing

This is a bit of a subjective question, but I'm wondering what people find are the upper limits of APS-C cameras like the Fuji X series and the Leica CL for quality output.

I've gotten 20 x 24 (cropped) prints from my M9 and feel like the quality holds up fairly well. Could probably go a little bigger if I wanted.

Wondering for those using these cameras where they find the limits are printing wise.

I'm not concerned with numbers as I'm functionally innumerate, but where does it feel like the prints start breaking down.

Old 02-15-2019   #2
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Not subjective at all. How good a lens are you using? How many pixels do you have to work with? How are your skills at taking, rendering, and uprezzing image files?

I’ve seen crap work from medium format digital camera’s with 100 mpixels. And I’ve won exhibition competitions with 5 mpixel FourThirds images made in 20x24 inch exhibition prints.

It’s up to you. Good quality means lots of work and good understanding. Format is irrelevant.

G

Old 02-15-2019   #3
jcb4718

I can't answer your question directly because I don't have a camera with your sensor but its larger than you think if the print is mounted appropriately. The largest print from a 35mm negative that I have on my wall is 1 metre wide. It's mounted at the top of my stairwell so it can only be viewed from about 3-4 feet away i.e. the correct viewing distance for a print of that size. I'm pleased with it. My impression is that the image sharpness is most important around A4 size: much greater than A4 and you need to stand back to appreciate the print so its absolute sharpness is less important.

Old 02-15-2019   #4
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

A billboard. Greater, even. It all depends upon the viewing distance. There were billboard sized promo photos for one of the Jurassic Park movies done with a Nikon Coolpix 990.
So it all depends on how far away your audience is.
Phil Forrest

Old 02-15-2019   #5
ColSebastianMoran

I am very pleased with 20x30 prints (both glossy on paper, and glossy on metal) from my 24MPx crop body Nikon and Sony cameras. And, I like a print that stands inspection when I bring my eyes in close.

I'm pleased at this size even with some crops from the full image.

I'm talking about good images in good light with good (but not exotic) lenses.

In Classifieds Now: Nikon DX Fisheye, photos in this Flickr album.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 02-15-2019   #6
ColSebastianMoran

I think the best answer is to try one. When I did so, I was pleasantly surprised.

In Classifieds Now: Nikon DX Fisheye, photos in this Flickr album.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 02-15-2019   #7
Dogman

I have a 13x19 inch print made from 1/2 of an 8MP APS-C image that looks pretty decent to me. The photo also happens to be the first digital photograph I took that I really liked. It led me down the road to ruin because I eventually switched totally to digital.

But you're right, it is subjective. And it depends on many factors including lens quality, shutter speed, lighting, how steady the photographer held the camera, etc.

Old 02-15-2019   #8
nightfly

Realize there's so much subjectivity I'm probably best off downloading a sample photo taken with a camera lens combo I'd be likely to use and sending it off to be printed the way I'd print it.

Just too many variables to really know otherwise.

Thanks for indulging my somewhat ridiculous question.

Old 02-15-2019   #9
MCTuomey

I did what you are about to do: made prints from a variety of files, grotty-to-good light, low-to-high iso, 'scapes to portraits to events. I varied the sizes too, meaning I printed 16 mpx, low light/high iso file large as well as 24 mpx good light/low iso files, with some iterations between the two extremes. Generally, I didn't find anything you wouldn't expect. Low iso, good glass stopped down, on tripod aps-c files can print well to my eye to A1. High iso, good glass wide open, handheld aps-c files can print well to A3. Files in between the two extremes can do A2.

My Flickr

Old 02-15-2019   #10
skopar steve

I have some beautiful 16"X 20" prints made from my XE-1 and 18-55mm kit lens that ended my lust for a FF camera.