Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Is this PayPal email legit?
Old 02-27-2019   #1
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Is this PayPal email legit?

I got an email, ostensibly from PayPal, saying "Confirm your identity" by clicking a button, by March 18, or my my PayPal balance will be whisked away and sequestered someplace until I do confirm my identity. I'm afraid this email might be a phishing expedition. Anybody else get something like this?

Old 02-27-2019   #2
joe bosak

Just log into paypal as you normally would and see if you need to take any action. Dont use that link, is my advice.

Old 02-27-2019   #3
yanchep_mike
Always Trying

Do not click anything, it is scam, phishing or what ever.

if you want to know go to paypal via the website. in your browser and type it in.

Old 02-27-2019   #4
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I got an email, ostensibly from PayPal, saying "Confirm your identity" by clicking a button, by March 18, or my my PayPal balance will be whisked away and sequestered someplace until I do confirm my identity. I'm afraid this email might be a phishing expedition. Anybody else get something like this?

NEVER click on a link in one of those E-Mails. Well technically the clicking isn't so dangerous, but putting any info in the website it opens. Even if you think it's legit, just go to the website by entering the address in your browser.
In this case, that sounds like typical phishing.

Old 02-27-2019   #5
michaelwj
----------------

Go into your PayPal account without clicking on the link, but I remember out of the blue having to provide some additional ID to PayPal a few years back. IIRC it coincided with the number of transactions I’d done and some laws. Something like receiving small payments to fund terrorism or something. Anyway, PayPal is really a bank, and as local laws catch up slowly you need to provide the same level of proof of ID as you do to open a bank account.

Old 02-27-2019   #6
wolves3012

Is the email addressed to you by name or "Dear Cusomer/PayPal User" or somesuch? If it's not addressed by name it's 100% a scam. If it's by name I'd be quite worried since it might indicate a problem or data-breach. As per the other's advice above, NEVER click a link, always log in directly as you normally would.

PayPal mithers me to confirm my phone number (which I've done) when I log in from the Ebay pop-up and I think that's a bad thing because it leads to familiarity seeing such things, meaning you can be off-guard when a scam appears.
Leica IIIC
Yashica Minister III
Zenith C, Zenit C, Zenit E
Minolta XG-M, XD-5
Nikon P50
Panasonic Lumix G2, 14-42 Kit lens + 45-150mm

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-27-2019   #7
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

It's directed to my email account, using my email address. It's a really elaborate layout. Someone who knew what they were doing, went to a lot of trouble. But so far, no one else on RFF is saying they got this. I'll give it some time. In the meantime I will check my PayPal account.

Old 02-27-2019   #8
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

The request for information showed up in my PayPal account. They want date of birth, social, and last four of social. But social security numbers are not supposed to be used for other purposes. I don't really even want to give them my DOB. How of there feel about this?

Old 02-27-2019   #9
Mackinaw
Think Different

I got one too. I didn't click on the link, but did log into my account and looked in teh "notifications" section. You'll find the same request. What they're asking has to do with how they use your balance. Up to you if you want to agree to it or not.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 02-27-2019   #10
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
It's directed to my email account, using my email address. It's a really elaborate layout. Someone who knew what they were doing, went to a lot of trouble. But so far, no one else on RFF is saying they got this. I'll give it some time. In the meantime I will check my PayPal account.
It is undoubtedly a scam or phishing.

I don't know how with other email apps, but in Apple Mail I use the "Messages > Forward as attachment" command to send all such emails to Paypal Spoofs <[email protected]>, and then delete the email.

Some information from Paypal about fraud, phishing, etc:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/...emails-faq2340

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/...website-faq438

I get faked, phishing emails like this from time to time, posing as Paypal, Apple, Google, etc. Never click a button on them, always report them to whatever company was being faked, and use the safe ways to check your accounts and check for viruses and snoopers on your system.

G

Old 02-27-2019   #11
mpaniagua

The surest way to know if the email is legit, check that the link you are asked to press (or if you pressed already) has the paypal domain (https://paypal.com) if it has something else (http://payspal.com, http://paypaaal.com or other nonsense) is a fraud.

Got this kind of email often enough.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 02-27-2019   #12
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I don't know how to check the link, but the email is from [email protected]>

Old 02-27-2019   #13
nickthetasmaniac

Whenever in doubt, contact the service provider (in this case PayPal) directly through the contact information on their homepage.

https://www.paypal.com/au/smarthelp/contact-us

NEVER click the link if you have even a smidge of concern.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 02-27-2019   #14
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:

All of my emails from paypal end with @paypal.com.au (I'm in Aus). I've never had anything with @mail.paypal.com.au

Old 02-27-2019   #15
JoeLopez

Quote:
Never, ever, ever click links within an email. To be sure, access your account by entering the full URL in your browser and go from there.

Do this every time.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90 & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 02-27-2019   #16
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
All of my emails from paypal end with @paypal.com.au (I'm in Aus). I've never had anything with @mail.paypal.com.au
never trust that, it is too easy to spoof.

Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

Old 02-27-2019   #17
JoeLopez

Quote:
the mail. is a giveaway.
Regardless, addresses are easily spoofed

Old 02-27-2019   #18
shawn

Quote:
Who the email is from is meaningless. You can set the reply address to anything you want.

The way to really check the email is to View the Raw Source of the email.

Typically you will see a more accurate sender (or at least the server where the email originally bounced from) and you can see where the link is actually going to take you. What the text says and where the link goes don't have to be the same thing.

Shawn

Old 02-27-2019   #19
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLopez View Post
Never, ever, ever click links within an email. To be sure, access your account by entering the full URL in your browser and go from there.

Do this every time.
Yes, seconding this. Don't even click the link to see where it is going. A sophisticated system will be able to tell you clicked the link and that kind of bumps up your priority for more phishing scams. You might be a gullible one...

Shawn

Old 02-27-2019   #20
Corran

Just hover over the link and see what page it is pointing towards!

Old 02-27-2019   #21
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

"Your account will be (Pick one) deleted, frozen, suspended, etc" is the hallmark of a phishing scam. The above advice is good. I get one from a bank that I don't even use. Stupid.

Old 02-28-2019   #22
David Hughes
David Hughes

There's a link to paypal in ebay. To get into ebay needs an ID and password, then use the ebay link to paypal with you pp id and pw; meaning two iD's and two pw's needed.

Or just go in in the normal way, or phone them...

Regards, David

Old 02-28-2019   #23
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLopez View Post
never trust that, it is too easy to spoof.
I don’t. My point is simply that the address the OP was receiving the ‘paypal’ email from is not the same format as genuine PayPal emails I’ve recieved.

Old 02-28-2019   #24
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Well, PayPal is requesting (demanding?) that we "confirm identity" directly on my PayPal page. It says to do this if I like buying things or sending money from my PayPal account.

So something's up!

Old 02-28-2019   #25
seany65

I've just logged into my paypal account and all seems normal, no messages about contacting them or anything.

I'd do what others are suggesting and login to your account and and contact them directly.

Old 02-28-2019   #26
NY_Dan

PAYPAL IS NOT A BANK.

PayPal is a money transfer facilitator. Receiving money for goods through PayPal is highly dangerous because the sender can contact their credit card, dispute payment (which is always granted) - then PayPal will come after seller for money. PayPal will tell seller that because credit card company is a bank or affiliated with a bank that they must comply. And you will be out your money, and out the gear you sold. Accepting money for goods through PayPal is all risk.

Read this: https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...usion-14549947

"We are not a bank and we have no aspirations to become a bank. We're not looking to move into banking at all," Ready says. "What we are doing is democratizing access to financial services."

Old 03-20-2019   #27
Dave Jenkins
Loose Canon

So, Dan. . .how do you receive payment when you sell one of your books? (I bought one sometime back, but don't remember the details of the transaction.)

My newest book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia is available now wherever books are sold.
Georgia: A Backroads Portrait http://blur.by/1gg1SMt is awaiting publication.
My best-selling book (28,000+ copies) is Rock City Barns: A Passing Era.
My web site: davidbjenkins.com

Old 03-21-2019   #28
willie_901

All the advice offered above to avoid email scams is important.

In the case of PayPal, just communicate with them using their iOS or Android app. If the request to conform or update credentials is authentic, the app will respond accordingly.

I am ignorant regarding Android app security. iOS apps are always authentic (Yes, I know in 2015 numerous apps in the Chinese Apple store contained XcodeGhost malware when app developers downloaded Xcode from third-party sites instead of from Apple).

PayPal is a de-facto insurance company.

It was created simply because before 2002 eBay transactions were at risk for fraud. Then, sellers who complied with PayPal's policies received fraud protection. Buyers were more secure as well because they did not have to divulge their credit card credentials to multiple sellers they knew nothing about.

PayPal fees are insurance premiums.

Of course, PayPal expanded and modified their business services over the years. They were spun off from eBay.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-21-2019   #29
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Dan View Post
PAYPAL IS NOT A BANK.

PayPal is a money transfer facilitator. Receiving money for goods through PayPal is highly dangerous because the sender can contact their credit card, dispute payment (which is always granted) - then PayPal will come after seller for money. PayPal will tell seller that because credit card company is a bank or affiliated with a bank that they must comply. And you will be out your money, and out the gear you sold. Accepting money for goods through PayPal is all risk.

Read this: https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...usion-14549947

"We are not a bank and we have no aspirations to become a bank. We're not looking to move into banking at all," Ready says. "What we are doing is democratizing access to financial services."
Using paypal is not any more dangerous than a bank credit card processing solution. People have always been able to do charge backs, etc. While there is risk of Paypal siding with a buyer, it certainly isn't the norm.

I've been accepting payments personally and through a business for about 20 years now without issue. I've won cases through paypal as a seller as well.

Old 03-21-2019   #30
ftw1952

Quote:
Report it to [email protected] using your forward icon in the email sent to you

Old 03-21-2019   #31
ftw1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe bosak View Post
Just log into paypal as you normally would and see if you need to take any action. Dont use that link, is my advice.
Always report the problem by sending the email received to [email protected]

Old 03-21-2019   #32
Steve Bellayr

I had that happen to me. I went to paypal and there was no problem. Go to Paypal. Check it. Then ignore. And, remember the IRS does not call. They send letters. Got one phony call from them several weeks ago.