Meyer Optik Goerlitz fraud!
Old 02-27-2019   #1
Huss

Meyer Optik Goerlitz fraud!

Their lenses labelled Made in Germany were actually made in China or Russia...

New owners are going to clean up their act

https://camerajabber.com/meyer-optik...hinese-optics/

Old 02-27-2019   #2
zuiko85

Weren't the prices very high on these lenses? Seems like I remember around the $1K range for some of their offerings.
Also sad that a lot of backers of their Kickstarter campaigns lost their money since they folded.

Old 02-27-2019   #3
Huss

It was $3000 for the 50 .95

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/0...-95-same-lens/

Quote:
The Meyer Optik Nocturnus is indeed made in Germany. It looks and yes indeed feels better in the hand when shooting. It is silky smooth, and the build feels just as good as ANY Leica lens. Fact.

Old 02-28-2019   #4
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Short term thinking and being scam masters fly-by-nights, like the recent Yashica y35 debacle is not sustainable for long term profit once the fleecing ripoff is exposed.. and that is fast and easy to do in the internet age.

For the prices they want to charge having lenses designed and made in Germany would still leave a healthy profit margin, but greed and want of ease are too strong a pulling factor.

Old 02-28-2019   #5
FrozenInTime

Seems clear the optical cell or lens elements were from Chinese or Russian lenses.
If, in a German workshop, they repackaged them in new shells and changed the aperture mechanism, does not that assembly then legitimately become made in Germany.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 02-28-2019   #6
DominikDUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post
Seems clear the optical cell or lens elements were from Chinese or Russian lenses.
If, in a German workshop, they repackaged them in new shells and changed the aperture mechanism, does not that assembly then legitimately become made in Germany.

In reality Made in German is rarely 100% made in Germany what counts is the value added if the value added is mostly added in Germany than you can call your product made in Germany. Weird but no different in Austria and many other countries. The components can be from anywhere but if it's assembled or at least partially assembeled in Germany it's made in Germany.

Old 02-28-2019   #7
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
For the prices they want to charge having lenses designed and made in Germany would still leave a healthy profit margin, but greed and want of ease are too strong a pulling factor.
Which raises a curious question: who in Germany would fit the job of doing it from scratch, should they have done it honestly?

Old 02-28-2019   #8
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

On the other hand, it probably wouldn't be your 78 yo Hans von Reinhard assembling the lens while playing Franz Schubert in the background, even if it's Made in Germany.

Made in Germany or not, using "Made in Germany" to justify the overpricing is just meh in 2019.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 02-28-2019   #9
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Which raises a curious question: who in Germany would fit the job of doing it from scratch, should they have done it honestly?
Even if this consortium could not find anyone in Germany to do the manufacturing, I would surmise that the lens design and specs are doable in Germany, if the price is right.

The manufacturing could be done Voigtländer or even in a Zeiss style in Japan by Cosina or by any other quality Japanese optical firm that meets the specified specs and mandated quality control .

I am also aware these days this might be also done in China if quality is stressed and paid for in labour and materials, no different than Nikon or Fuji or Canon or Toyota or Volvo or Eastman guitars etc. building quality products in China that are sold around the world at the going prices for quality and well known name brands.

It is a shame that these famous old time camera and lens firms, be they German or Japanese, like Yashica are used and degraded just to con the public and for a quick buck or euro or yen or yuan for quick and short sighted profit.

Old 02-28-2019   #10
pluton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post

Anyone who is not naive spotted this fraud the moment it was announced.

Old 02-28-2019   #11
NY_Dan

What does all this matter if most of the people buying said lenses are crappy photographers who spend too much time worrying about gear specs that they can't put to good use? Popcorn!

Old 02-28-2019   #12
BillBingham2

Sounds like a future collector's item.....

B2 (;->

Old 03-03-2019   #13
iphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Dan View Post
What does all this matter if most of the people buying said lenses are crappy photographers who spend too much time worrying about gear specs that they can't put to good use? Popcorn!
I'm a "crappy photographer", but hope that one day, my ability once again reaches the ability of my camera and lens. "Popcorn"? No!

Old 03-03-2019   #14
Teemō

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
Sounds like a future collector's item.....

B2 (;->
Mathieu Stern was sent a prototype lens from Meyer Optik to review and got to keep it because they wanted him to wait longer before uploading any review... and then they folded. lol.

Old 03-04-2019   #15
HHPhoto

Quote:
No, that is wrong in that generalisation!
Only the Somnium and Nocturnus were made in Russia / China.
All other lenses were made in Germany.

The new Meyer Optik Görlitz company will made all their lenses in Germany.

Have a look at the original source:
https://www.photoscala.de/2019/02/27...neu-gestartet/

Cheers, Jan

Old 03-04-2019   #16
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
There are lots of optic factories in Germany who can do this.
The new owner (and former supplier) OPC Optics included.
E.g. one of their partners for assembly of some of their lenses has been Maerz in Hamburg. Some time ago they have even invited film photographers for a factory visit there, people have seen the production of Meyer Optik lenses there.
The new Meyer Optik Görlitz company has said that they want to continue cooperation with the German partners.

Cheers, Jan

Old 03-04-2019   #17
DanskDynamit

oh Please... Leica does the same and nobody cries around.

Old 03-04-2019   #18
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I'm a crappy photographer, but want to own the finest my wife will allow me to buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Dan View Post

Old 03-04-2019   #19
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
oh Please... Leica does the same and nobody cries around.
It was the new owners of Meyer Optik that brought this up and said it was unacceptable.

Old 03-04-2019   #20
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Many "Swiss" watches feature Chinese made components. Only the final assembly is done in Switzerland and then the price is set according to the "Swiss made" label. But nobody calls it a fraud...

I guess this is what happens when some people are ready to pay through the nose only to get a label.

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 03-04-2019   #21
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbazz View Post
Many "Swiss" watches feature Chinese made components. Only the final assembly is done in Switzerland and then the price is set according to the "Swiss made" label. But nobody calls it a fraud...

I guess this is what happens when some people are ready to pay through the nose only to get a label.

Cheers!

Abbazz
That is a wide spread practice for most big brand name manufactured goods, be it cars , motorcycles and appliances and power tools.

Some just cut the pretence and actually say made in China or Vietnam or Indonesia, just peruse the labels on the old time brand power tools, like Black and Decker or Bosch in your neighbourhood big box stores.

Old 03-04-2019   #22
Huss

Triumph motorcycles factory in the UK where they built their Bonneville series was destroyed by a fire. I think 20 years ago? Instead of rebuilding it they moved production to Thailand.
At least those bikes say Thairumph on their gas tanks...

Old 03-04-2019   #23
xayraa33

Quote:
Triumph motorcycles factory in the UK where they built their Bonneville series was destroyed by a fire. I think 20 years ago? Instead of rebuilding it they moved production to Thailand.
At least those bikes say Thairumph on their gas tanks...
Probably better made bikes than the UK made ones in the good old days, that came with the mandatory oil drip from the crankcase, typical of most classic British made motorcycles

Old 03-04-2019   #24
jsrockit

Quote:

I don't necessarily think the issue is that they were made in China or Russia. That's one thing when claiming German made... BUT I thought, maybe inaccurately, that these were simply cheap Chinese or Russian lenses that they modified and called Meyer Optik...and sold for a lot of $$$.

Old 03-04-2019   #25
Huss

The issue wasnt with using chinese sourced items to make their lenses, but essentially repackaging existing chinese lenses and saying they were expensive german lenses.

Old 03-04-2019   #26
ptpdprinter

Quote:
The issue wasnt with using chinese sourced items to make their lenses, but essentially repackaging existing chinese lenses and saying they were expensive german lenses.
And they still went bankrupt.

Old 03-04-2019   #27
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
And they still went bankrupt.
because people saw through that and did not believe them. they could see the .95 was a rebadge Mitakon for example.

Old 03-04-2019   #28
dourbalistar

Quote:
because people saw through that and did not believe them. they could see the .95 was a rebadge Mitakon for example.
Took the Mitakon and turned it into a mighty con.

flickr

Old 03-04-2019   #29
dourbalistar

I wonder how many companies are transparent about their supply/manufacturing chain. I think I've seen some Sony digicams and lenses that say "Assembled in Thailand" or some such. Patagonia comes close, although I'm sure there's some marketing mixed in. They show where their raw materials are sourced, and which factories assemble and sew their clothing:
https://www.patagonia.com/footprint.html

flickr

Old 03-04-2019   #30
Goody

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
Probably better made bikes than the UK made ones in the good old days, that came with the mandatory oil drip from the crankcase, typical of most classic British made motorcycles
You forgot the old Triumph speciality of bolts loosening and parts falling off on the highway! But I do miss my 1966 500 twin....

Old 03-04-2019   #31
css9450

Quote:

Well, yes, the box probably was made in Germany. Same situation for all those "Germany" Leica M10s.

Old 03-04-2019   #32
retinax

Quote:
It was the new owners of Meyer Optik that brought this up and said it was unacceptable.

Oof, new owners? What exactly did they buy, a couple boxes of the Chinese lenses and the name rights? I'm afraid the brand name is burned, it didn't even have much of a ring to it before this con... they'd be much better off starting from scratch.

Old 03-04-2019   #33
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Well, yes, the box probably was made in Germany. Same situation for all those "Germany" Leica M10s.
not at all. what camera did Leica rebadge and call it the Leica M10?
Leica sources the parts from wherever (as does everyone) and assembles in Germany.
The meyer lenses in question were essentially rebadged mitakons.

Old 03-04-2019   #34
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody View Post
You forgot the old Triumph speciality of bolts loosening and parts falling off on the highway! But I do miss my 1966 500 twin....
Triumphs dont leak. They mark their spot.

Old 03-04-2019   #35
Rob Holland
Rob Holland

"Triumphs dont leak. They mark their spot."

I don't post often, but just have to say that made me laugh out loud. Thanks for a good laugh!

Rob

Old 03-05-2019   #36
DanskDynamit

Quote:
not at all. what camera did Leica rebadge and call it the Leica M10?
Leica sources the parts from wherever (as does everyone) and assembles in Germany.
The meyer lenses in question were essentially rebadged mitakons.

as far as I know, the "final" assembly is made in Germany, how "final" I dont know but I'm sure its not 100% as there are many videos from their factory in Portugal doing most of the job. All they need to use the label "made in Germany" is to finish the product in Germany.

Old 03-05-2019   #37
nzeeman

i don't understand the problem here-of all lenses they have on site just those two were rebadged,right? the other ones are their designs... so not a big difference than anyone else... leica constantly claim their names on various digital cameras and phones and evsn they did on old p&s from 80s till now, and nobody was so angry . everyone even pretend not to notice that they just use random lenses.. remember digilux 1?

Old 03-05-2019   #38
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
as far as I know, the "final" assembly is made in Germany, how "final" I dont know but I'm sure its not 100% as there are many videos from their factory in Portugal doing most of the job. All they need to use the label "made in Germany" is to finish the product in Germany.

Leica released a video which shows them at the factory in Germany applying the leatherette onto the camera, so there's that.... And the box.

Old 03-05-2019   #39
DanskDynamit

^ exactly. Proper modern "Made in Germany"

Old 03-08-2019   #40
kram

You normally get the quality parts made in a high cost country and assemble in a low cost (because it takes time to do). Having cheap parts assembled in a high cost country ???? You get the worst of both worlds imho. A least Leica used a well respected manufacture to rebadged (like the rest of you I think it is not great).