Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Xpan & Other Panoramics

Xpan & Other Panoramics For Hasselblad Xpan, Xpan II, Fuji TX-1 and TX-2, and all other Panoramic cameras

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Few Widelux f8 questions
Old 04-04-2019   #1
dd786
Registered User
 
dd786 is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 93
Few Widelux f8 questions

Hey all,
Bought a widelux f8 recently that’s a bit of a beater. Wanted to know if:
1) anyone know if it’s possible to buy new rubber/leatherette for it to replace the old stuff? Anyone make anything like that?
2) is it possible to repaint this specific camera? Does anyone do this on a widelux and if so, any reviews?
3) if a repaint is not possible or practical, is it possible and practical to do small touch ups to the paintwork? It’s not “regular” single colour stuff. I don’t think it’s actually normal “paint” but I’m not sure...

Just want to spruce up the girl a little. I mean she’s real pretty but could do with some new shoes and a haircut lol

4)Apparently film in the widelux has a rare tendency to slip after it’s been loaded. Actually rear this a couple times once on an FB group and again on another forum. Anyone know about this or experienced this? If so, is there a solution or more (lol) correct way to load it to stop slipping?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2019   #2
retinax
Registered User
 
retinax is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 843
Imho, rare-ish cameras like these have some value as historical artifacts. Of course it deserves to be used. But I'd leave the traces of the life it's lived visible. Restoration to original condition is an alternative but in my eyes not as good as keeping it as is. I'd avoid touch-ups, neither this not that, and do only repairs for functionality. Sorry, this was not what you asked for.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2019   #3
valdas
Registered User
 
valdas is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,368
I am sorry, I have F8, but can’t answer your questions. The Widelux I bought was (and is) in excellent condition (both cosmetics and functionally). I disagree it only has some historical value, it is an excellent “street panoramic” camera. Precision camera in US can help with Widelux repairs.
__________________
My Flickr
________
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2019   #4
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,254
precisioncameraworks.com services the widelux so that would be a good place
to ask.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2019   #5
dd786
Registered User
 
dd786 is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Imho, rare-ish cameras like these have some value as historical artifacts. Of course it deserves to be used. But I'd leave the traces of the life it's lived visible. Restoration to original condition is an alternative but in my eyes not as good as keeping it as is. I'd avoid touch-ups, neither this not that, and do only repairs for functionality. Sorry, this was not what you asked for.
I dont think the widelux is a particularly rare camera or especially historically important. I get your point though. Really i dont care too much as long as it works proper;y, just figured if it wasn't going to be a difficult thing, i could clean her up a bit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
I am sorry, I have F8, but can’t answer your questions. The Widelux I bought was (and is) in excellent condition (both cosmetics and functionally). I disagree it only has some historical value, it is an excellent “street panoramic” camera. Precision camera in US can help with Widelux repairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
precisioncameraworks.com services the widelux so that would be a good place
to ask.
Thanks for the recommend guys.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2019   #6
nanntonaku
Registered User
 
nanntonaku is offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 52
This guy on Instagram does leather work and made his Widelux look pretty spiffy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Baf97DNn...d=csx03qyui4hy

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
__________________
shujimoriwaki.com

instagram
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 19:18.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.