Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Jupiter-12 article.
Old 04-18-2019   #1
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,836
Jupiter-12 article.

The Film Shooters Collective website just published an article I wrote about my Jupiter-12.
I thought some of you all might be interested in it.
https://www.filmshooterscollective.c...ippj2ucud-4-16
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019   #2
bayernfan
Registered User
 
bayernfan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 703
very nice, thanks for sharing.
__________________
M_V instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019   #3
retinax
Registered User
 
retinax is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 851
Great article and photos, and you squeeze very nice colors out of that thing.
I'm quite fond of mine, too, although it may be a bit weaker than your copy. Distortion, never gets all that sharp away from the very center, curved focal "plane". It has given me some pictures with a very nice look and a slight softness (which I can't see in your images) that looks pleasing to me at higher contrast. It just needs to be used to it's strengths.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019   #4
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
very nice, thanks for sharing.
Thanks Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Great article and photos, and you squeeze very nice colors out of that thing.
I'm quite fond of mine, too, although it may be a bit weaker than your copy. Distortion, never gets all that sharp away from the very center, curved focal "plane". It has given me some pictures with a very nice look and a slight softness (which I can't see in your images) that looks pleasing to me at higher contrast. It just needs to be used to it's strengths.
Thanks. Yes, it does have some weaknesses (distortion, the aperture control) but a surprisingly good lens otherwise.
I think some of the softness you see is from the website resizing the images.
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019   #5
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,123
Solid article with pleasing photos!

I went through many j-12. Kiev version seems to be sharper, but flaring.
Made in nineties are less sharp, but less flaring.
I'm with first batch of J-12 now. Sharp enough, not so bad on flaring with hood.
It has less distortion than Summarit 35 2.5, but colors are slightly muted on digital.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019   #6
Anthony Harvey
Registered User
 
Anthony Harvey's Avatar
 
Anthony Harvey is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 151
Many thanks for this, Colton. Interesting, helpful and beautifully written. Great photos too.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019   #7
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Solid article with pleasing photos!

I went through many j-12. Kiev version seems to be sharper, but flaring.
Made in nineties are less sharp, but less flaring.
I'm with first batch of J-12 now. Sharp enough, not so bad on flaring with hood.
It has less distortion than Summarit 35 2.5, but colors are slightly muted on digital.
Thanks Konstantin.

I have a black 1987 LZOS version for my Kiev-2a, and from what I have seen it renders (sharpness, distortion, colors) basically the same as my LTM 1956 KMZ version.
I also just got a 1987 LZOS LTM version that I'm using on my Leica M2, but I don't have any images from it yet.
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019   #8
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Harvey View Post
Many thanks for this, Colton. Interesting, helpful and beautifully written. Great photos too.
Thank you for the kind words Anthony
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019   #9
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,276
Great stuff Colton. Love the pic of the station wagon w the popped hood.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019   #10
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Great stuff Colton. Love the pic of the station wagon w the popped hood.
Thank you Huss
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019   #11
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps
 
davidnewtonguitars's Avatar
 
davidnewtonguitars is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 1,346
Great article, but it isn't about the camera is it? it is about the pictures.
Do you go out and choose your scene, and yell "all you people, just move out of the frame for a moment please!" ? It is like I know there are people just out of view, they were there a second ago, and they will all be there again in 1/250th or so. Evidence everywhere. Love your pictures!
__________________
Leica M2 / 7artisans 35-f2 / Canon 35-f2 ltm
http://davidnewtonguitars.squarespace.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019   #12
WJJ3
Registered User
 
WJJ3's Avatar
 
WJJ3 is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hakuba
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
The Film Shooters Collective website just published an article I wrote about my Jupiter-12.
I thought some of you all might be interested in it.
https://www.filmshooterscollective.c...ippj2ucud-4-16
Nice write up! It’s been fun to see your contributions to the J-12 thread, and now this too. I see your shot of the bridge in Astoria made the article.
__________________
Happy Shooting!
~Will

Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019   #13
Brambling
Registered User
 
Brambling is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ukraine, Kharkov
Posts: 107
I read with interest, can I help you?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2019   #14
konicaman
konicaman
 
konicaman's Avatar
 
konicaman is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 856
Nice read, thanks for sharing. I like the photos you make with this lens. The J-12 is my favorite FSU lens, more or less constantly mounted on my Canon P - great combo.
__________________
The stale vogue of drowning in technique and ignoring content adds to the pestilence and has become....part of today´s hysteria.
Berenice Abbott

Min danske webshop med notesbřger, fyldepenne og blćk
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2019   #15
Pentode
Registered User
 
Pentode's Avatar
 
Pentode is offline
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 183
Nice writeup. I really like the bridge photo.

I have a J-12 I use with my Kiev 4a and I like it, too.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2019   #16
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
Great article, but it isn't about the camera is it? it is about the pictures.
Do you go out and choose your scene, and yell "all you people, just move out of the frame for a moment please!" ? It is like I know there are people just out of view, they were there a second ago, and they will all be there again in 1/250th or so. Evidence everywhere. Love your pictures!
Thank you David

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
Nice write up! It’s been fun to see your contributions to the J-12 thread, and now this too. I see your shot of the bridge in Astoria made the article.
Thanks Will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambling View Post
I read with interest, can I help you?
Thank you.
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2019   #17
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by konicaman View Post
Nice read, thanks for sharing. I like the photos you make with this lens. The J-12 is my favorite FSU lens, more or less constantly mounted on my Canon P - great combo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentode View Post
Nice writeup. I really like the bridge photo.

I have a J-12 I use with my Kiev 4a and I like it, too.
Thank you both
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2019   #18
farlymac
PF McFarland
 
farlymac's Avatar
 
farlymac is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 6,155
Man, I am getting old and forgetful. Thought I commented here the other day. It's a very good article, Colton, and also highlights your fine sense of composition with the sample photos.


The J-12 that I finally cleared up the flaring issues on now resides somewhat permanently on a Zorki-6, and has become one of my favorite FSU set-ups.


PF
__________________
Waiting for the light
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2019   #19
retinax
Registered User
 
retinax is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Man, I am getting old and forgetful. Thought I commented here the other day. It's a very good article, Colton, and also highlights your fine sense of composition with the sample photos.


The J-12 that I finally cleared up the flaring issues on now resides somewhat permanently on a Zorki-6, and has become one of my favorite FSU set-ups.


PF

I, and others I'm sure, would be interested in how you reduced the flaring. Was your lens hazy? Did you (re)paint the sides of the lens elements? How did you get in there?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2019   #20
farlymac
PF McFarland
 
farlymac's Avatar
 
farlymac is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 6,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
I, and others I'm sure, would be interested in how you reduced the flaring. Was your lens hazy? Did you (re)paint the sides of the lens elements? How did you get in there?

There was a place on the rear element where the paint had worn off due to whatever camera it had been used on before I got it. Being on an external part it was easy to recover. Took me a while to realize it wasn't a camera leak that was causing my problems.


PF
__________________
Waiting for the light
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2019   #21
retinax
Registered User
 
retinax is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
There was a place on the rear element where the paint had worn off due to whatever camera it had been used on before I got it. Being on an external part it was easy to recover. Took me a while to realize it wasn't a camera leak that was causing my problems.


PF

Would you think very small damages to the paint there are significant? Mine is missing under a mm˛ in total... Then I should probably also touch it up.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2019   #22
Agustin
Registered User
 
Agustin's Avatar
 
Agustin is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Martín, Argentina
Age: 63
Posts: 14
Very good article and beautiful photos. Congratulations for both achievements!
Agustín
__________________
Canonet QL19 New (1971) - Kodak 35 (1941) - Beirette Junior (1959) - Walzflex 500 (1959) - Rolleiflex T (1959) - Canon 7 - Canon XSI 18-55 & 70-300
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2019   #23
Lewis Francis
Registered User
 
Lewis Francis's Avatar
 
Lewis Francis is offline
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 33
What is that under the hood of the car in the second photo -- bees?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2019   #24
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Man, I am getting old and forgetful. Thought I commented here the other day. It's a very good article, Colton, and also highlights your fine sense of composition with the sample photos.


The J-12 that I finally cleared up the flaring issues on now resides somewhat permanently on a Zorki-6, and has become one of my favorite FSU set-ups.


PF
Thanks PF


Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
There was a place on the rear element where the paint had worn off due to whatever camera it had been used on before I got it. Being on an external part it was easy to recover. Took me a while to realize it wasn't a camera leak that was causing my problems.


PF
The Jupiter-12 in the article definitely needs some touch up paint. The newer one I just got doesn't have any missing paint and it doesn't flare hardly at all compared to my old one.
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2019   #25
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
Very good article and beautiful photos. Congratulations for both achievements!
Agustín
Thank you kindly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Francis View Post
What is that under the hood of the car in the second photo -- bees?
Those are pigeons.
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2019   #26
mpaniagua
Registered User
 
mpaniagua's Avatar
 
mpaniagua is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
Age: 46
Posts: 1,006
Thanks for the good reading.

Really enjoy my Kiev 4 Jupiter 12. My example quality is top notch.

Regards

Marcelo
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2019   #27
nzeeman
Registered User
 
nzeeman's Avatar
 
nzeeman is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: belgrade
Age: 39
Posts: 1,192
lovely article and great photos - colors are so perfect!!
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2019   #28
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
Thanks for the good reading.

Really enjoy my Kiev 4 Jupiter 12. My example quality is top notch.

Regards

Marcelo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzeeman View Post
lovely article and great photos - colors are so perfect!!
Thank you both
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2019   #29
farlymac
PF McFarland
 
farlymac's Avatar
 
farlymac is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 6,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Would you think very small damages to the paint there are significant? Mine is missing under a mm˛ in total... Then I should probably also touch it up.

Yeah, anytime you have any blocking paint missing it should be touched up. Blocking reflections and flares is what it is there for in the first place.


PF
__________________
Waiting for the light
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2019   #30
Takkun
Ian M.
 
Takkun's Avatar
 
Takkun is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunny South Seattle
Posts: 731
Absolutely beautiful photos. I've considered one, but I don't need a third 35, let alone one that likely won't mount safely on any of my bodies!

And that second to last shot—Astoria-Megler bridge, correct? Three generations of my family now have a slight fear of the south high-rise section.. passed a cyclist coming down it last time I was down that way and was sweating bullets for him.
__________________
Ian M., Seattle
Current bag contents: Bronica SQ-A, Mamiya C33.

currently trying to find a use for a Nikon D2.
--
my infrequently updated blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2019   #31
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post
Absolutely beautiful photos. I've considered one, but I don't need a third 35, let alone one that likely won't mount safely on any of my bodies!

And that second to last shot—Astoria-Megler bridge, correct? Three generations of my family now have a slight fear of the south high-rise section.. passed a cyclist coming down it last time I was down that way and was sweating bullets for him.
Thanks Takkun.
Yes, that's the Astoria-Megler bridge.
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 17:28.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.