Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Camera Insert for backpack (Leica M6 + 35mm)
Old 05-09-2019   #1
Solvstrom

Camera Insert for backpack (Leica M6 + 35mm)

Hi

I carry my camera around everyday and recent bought a new backpack. Iím looking for a small insert that fits the camera and lens. Nothing else. Just the camera with the lens attached. Any recommendations? Itís a fairly small bag (15L)

Old 05-09-2019   #2
PunkFunkDunk

I have found the Manfrotto Essential Shoulder Bag (Extra Small) perfect for such use. My M6 with Zeiss 50mm mounted fits nicely inside with enough space for a small rocket blower or a roll or two of film. The shoulder strap is removable which is good for when you just want to use the pouch in a backpack. For a more snug fit, which improves the cushioning to protect the camera, I wrap my M6 in a small cotton face cloth before putting inside.

Old 05-09-2019   #3
jpressman
Culver City, CA

I use an insert from Ape Case in my lightweight backpack, works pretty well. Very minimalist, not a huge amount of padding, but enough for me.

Old 05-09-2019   #4
besk

I use an insert made for Domke bags. Sometimes put a Velcro strap across the top for safety.

Old 05-09-2019   #5
taemo

I like the domke protective wraps like these.

Old 05-09-2019   #6
wsriii

I recently bought a Tenba BYOB 9 camera insert to use with my Fuji X-e2s. I actually like it quite a bit. I've used it in my day pack as well as an older Mountainsmith shoulder bag. Inexpensive and quickly configured.

Old 05-09-2019   #7
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsriii View Post
I recently bought a Tenba BYOB 9 camera insert to use with my Fuji X-e2s. I actually like it quite a bit. I've used it in my day pack as well as an older Mountainsmith shoulder bag. Inexpensive and quickly configured.
Same here, it's a pretty interesting system for travel IMHO, I also have the dedicated bag for it, which isn't very robust or ergonomic but good enough and can be stowed away in a tiny, light package.
You should probably be looking at size 7.

Old 05-09-2019   #8
Archiver

I use the insert from my Lowepro sling. It holds a M body and a couple of lenses when you use thin padded dividers.

Old 05-10-2019   #9
AlexBG

A photographer friend of mine uses ski goggle cases. Cheap, fluffy inside and plastic outer. Most have sizes when you look online.

If not then the domke wrap is exactly what you need. That's what I use.

Old 05-10-2019   #10
nightfly

Crumpler used to make nice inserts that had the advantage of a drawstring top to keep camera from sliding out when you needed it but gets out of the way when you don't.

Sadly it doesn't look like they have them anymore. They were the Haven series. Maybe ebay or B&H used.

Old 05-10-2019   #11
dourbalistar

Ape Case's Cubeze series has something similar to the discontinued Crumpler Haven - drawstring flap that folds over when not needed. The "Pro" models have exterior organization pockets as well. Available on Amazon and B&H. Like Jeff mentioned in Post #3, not a huge amount of padding, but a simple, affordable design.

flickr

Old 05-10-2019   #12
B-9
Devin Bro

Topo Designs sells a nice drawstring topped insert complete with handles and dividers.

Bomb proof gear.

https://topodesigns.com/collections/...13895090733109

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 05-10-2019   #13
Takkun
Ian M.

Another vote for the Tenba BYOB. The solution I needed for basically the same situation. Lowepro's combo camera bag/hiking pack was tempting, but I already have a Lowe Alpine bag and really didn't need another.

On the flip side, I'm pretty happy to upgrade my Tenba messenger to the latest DNA version—I can pull out the camera insert and use it as a laptop/messenger bag.

currently trying to find a use for a Nikon D2.
--
my infrequently updated blog

Old 05-10-2019   #14
kxl
Social Documentary

I'm looking at the BYOB myself. I might get two different sizes for 2 backpacks

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.Ē ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 05-10-2019   #15
taemo

that tenba byod 9 is tempting.. might have to try one out!

just remembered that on our last trip i used a domke f5xb as camera insert on my backpack and worked perfectly with 2 camera and 2 lenses. bonus is that i could use it as a regular camera bag for quick walks.

i also use the domke protective wrap if im just protecting one camera and lens in my bag

Old 05-10-2019   #16
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

I agree with the Ape case and the Domke wrap suggestions. I have both and they are exceptionally cheap solutions.

Old 05-10-2019   #17
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Topo Designs sells a nice drawstring topped insert complete with handles and dividers.

Bomb proof gear.

https://topodesigns.com/collections/...13895090733109
Another good suggestion, I'm a big fan of Topo Designs gear. I have a few of their bags, and use their Field Bag as my day-trip camera bag. Surprisingly, I can fit my Pentax 6x7 and a Leica body in the bag. Heavy, but it fits.

flickr

Old 05-10-2019   #18
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
Another good suggestion, I'm a big fan of Topo Designs gear. I have a few of their bags, and use their Field Bag as my day-trip camera bag. Surprisingly, I can fit my Pentax 6x7 and a Leica body in the bag. Heavy, but it fits.

I agree with this too! I have a few Topo Bags including the Field Bag and the Quick Pack. Both great camera bags for different reasons.

Old 05-10-2019   #19
B-9
Devin Bro

I am planning to pick up the Mini Quick Pack in white/silver to replace my current day bag and the generic pack insert I use in my old REI daypack.

It can play insert, shoulder bag, waiste pack, and chest sling all in one really slick, rugged, and surprisingly affordable (for the quality) package.

I’m also on the hunt for their Global Case to replace my current work binder. I waited to long and they have been sold out for a few months. Been waiting for a used one to show up on eBay at the right price!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 05-10-2019   #20
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

There is a dude that makes bags/wraps for large format gear. I'd bet he'd make whatever you wanted.

https://www.stonephotogear.com

Old 05-10-2019   #21
bhop73

I use the domke wrap too. It's great

Old 05-10-2019   #22
maigo

I use a lens cap and hood and wrap my body and lens in an old terry cloth hand towel or bar towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-10-2019   #23
Deardorff38

I like the Domke protective wrap. You can leave the strap hanging out, & it's quick to grab out of your pack or bag.

Old 05-10-2019   #24
seajak

I use the OP/TECH Rangefinder Pouch. The neoprene gives enough protection for the camera in my backpack with the added advantage of still giving protection if I want to carry the camera by its strap.

cheers,
clay