Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Hasselblad Announcement -New Chapter!
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
dave lackey

Hasselblad Announcement -New Chapter!

Hasselblad just sent out this teaser:

https://www.hasselblad.com/

Dave

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Wow Dave,

Thanks for posting this.

Cal

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

What you think it might be?

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Huss

xpan III !!!!!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

Looks very XPAN-ny to me too! The framing of the countdown is very wide-angle, not to mention the words "expanding (X-panding) the hasselblad experience". Digital XPan? Updated film XPan? (more unlikely probably, but would be AMAZING!)

Coincidentally, a near mint XPan 1 w/45mm came into my local shop just this week, and I put money down on it! It's long been a dream camera for me, and though I don't think I'll be changing my mind, if there's a new XPan coming out, I might have to rethink things a little...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
brbo

Anything but XPan III (film!) doesn't make sense

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

After some more thought, the coolest thing I could possibly imagine is a dual release of a Digital XPan along with an updated Film Xpan. I realize this is a near impossibility, but that would honestly be the most impressive release I could think of.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
xpan III !!!!!
That would be of course very nice, but is extremely unlikely at this time point.
Consider that you need 2-3 years to design such a camera and build up the production capacities.
Therefore the decision to start such a project must have been done in 2016 or 2017. And at that time we've only seen the very first and small signs of the global film revival.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a X-Pan III in 2-5 years.

Cheers, Jan

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
Larry Cloetta

A newly manufactured film camera of any kind, made by anybody, would be hard to believe, but a digital panoramic body would seem even less likely, as stitching would seem to already have all those bases covered for just about anyone wanting to do panoramas.
And, a new film camera introduced right after they quit making film scanners, that’s a bit odd as well. Unless they are introducing a new film Xpan, and new film scanners as well. Sign me up for that combo!

Intriguing to say the least.

It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby. Elliot Erwitt

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
That would be of course very nice, but is extremely unlikely at this time point.
Consider that you need 2-3 years to design such a camera and build up the production capacities.
Therefore the decision to start such a project must have been done in 2016 or 2017. And at that time we've only seen the very first and small signs of the global film revival.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a X-Pan III in 2-5 years.

Cheers, Jan

Made by Fujifilm or by Hasselblad?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
Huss

Well Fuji just announced Acros II. And they made the xpan...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
dave lackey

Most people are expecting the X1D Mark II version to be 100MP.

Dave

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
jsrockit

Yeah Dave, the RFF crowd is in their own bubble. More likely it is that though I’m not sure about the 100mp part.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Yeah Dave, the RFF crowd is in their own bubble. More likely it is that though Im not sure about the 100mp part.
No one knows... forums are like that. Here, a definite preference for Xpan inspired new gear, whereas others are mesmerized by the huge Fuji 100MP brick and would love that higher resolution. Will Hasselblad keep the same form as the X1D with a 100MP sensor? We will find out in a few days!

To Hasselblad's credit, they have kept the new chapter secret for a long time.

Dave

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
No one knows... forums are like that. Here, a definite preference for Xpan inspired new gear, whereas others are mesmerized by the huge Fuji 100MP brick and would love that higher resolution. Will Hasselblad keep the same form as the X1D with a 100MP sensor? We will find out in a few days!

To Hasselblad's credit, they have kept the new chapter secret for a long time.
I am actually shocked by the number of amateurs on a certain forum (not RFF) that are talking about buying the new 100mp for Fuji for $10000+ ... people that do not seem to have enough experience with lower end equipment. But I guess those are times we are in... buy your way into better images (of brick walls).

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
I am actually shocked by the number of amateurs on a certain forum (not RFF) that are talking about buying the new 100mp for Fuji for $10000+ ... people that do not seem to have enough experience with lower end equipment. But I guess those are times we are in... buy your way into better images (of brick walls).

Those who have purchased bunch of M10 with all kind of Nostluxes, plus Q, T, X and the rest of ABC and dying to spend money on else ?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post

Those who have purchased bunch of M10 with all kind of Nostluxes, plus Q, T, X and the rest of ABC and dying to spend money on else ?
I guess but at least Leica is sexy...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18
nickthetasmaniac

Am I missing something here? All I see at the Hasselblad link is the regular homepage with existing products and whatnot... No teaser?

Quote:
But I guess those are times we are in... buy your way into better images (of brick walls).
Go back a few decades and I suspect there would have been more than a few wealthy amateurs with all the money and no idea buying Hasselblad 500's...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Am I missing something here? All I see at the Hasselblad link is the regular homepage with existing products and whatnot... No teaser?

Go back a few decades and I suspect there would have been more than a few wealthy amateurs with all the money and no idea buying Hasselblad 500's...
When you click on the link, don't you get the countdown clock?

If not, go to Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BysIyPIo..._web_copy_link

Dave

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20
lynnb

A new Hasselblad countdown darkroom timer?
Flickr

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #21
Rayt

Some kind of adapter to take legacy xpan lenses and pano cropped option for X1D?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #22
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
When you click on the link, don't you get the countdown clock?

If not, go to Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BysIyPIo..._web_copy_link
Nope, no countdown clock. The IG link just takes me to a photo of a X1D shutter button and asks me to sign up for their newsletter. The link through their IG bio just takes me through to the same homepage - still no teaser!

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #23
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Nope, no countdown clock. The IG link just takes me to a photo of a X1D shutter button and asks me to sign up for their newsletter. The link through their IG bio just takes me through to the same homepage - still no teaser!
Same result as above.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #24
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Made by Fujifilm or by Hasselblad?
Honestly, I don't know. We will have to wait and see.
The X-Pan was made by Fujifilm, and sold under both brands, but different model type names.
Fujifilm has with no doubt the capabilities to produce such a camera again.
Maybe both companies will make another joint-venture again.

Hasselblad is in a difficult position now:
- their H series is very expensive (when used with digital back) and the market for such cameras is saturated and very small
- their new mirrorless system wasn't a success in the market, most customers in that market prefer the Fuji system.
I think they need something more successful in the market to stay alive and healthy in the long term.

Interestingly Hasselblad has recently presented a professional female photographer, who is using film and the Hasselblad 500 series, in their own Hasselblad youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQgVQeDv8Fk

Hasselblad has built its whole reputation with their 500 series. It is legendary.
I think Hasselblad should really think about resurrecting the latest model 503. And offer it with film backs, and a digital back for those who want.
The biggest problem with that project will probably be the lenses: Essential part of the success were the Carl Zeiss lenses. So Hasselblad must convince Zeiss to make lenses again. Not easy....

Cheers, Jan

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #25
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post

Quote:
I guess but at least Leica is sexy...
Love all these...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #26
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I’m guessing the X2D (or will it be the X1D-100C?).

The X1D is a digital XPAN, shoots with the 30, 45 & 90 lenses in XPAN format.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #27
Dan Daniel

You are all wrong. Hasselblad is finally going to team up with Cooper and make a car. Won't this look sweet in dark gray with all that chrome edging? I wonder if they will go for more chrome around the headlights to echo the 80mm Planar classic.

MBAs gotta MBA, and it's been a while since Hasselblad made some ostentatious consumer product trying to cash in on their heritage. People are starting to forget the HV, that beauty of contemporary marketing, so it's time to drop another load on the public and see how much of that disposable income they can suck up.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #28
dave lackey

The original post is my willingness to share good news for a change, in a works that is full of hate, intolerance and chaos. Not to read snarky remarks and jokes. Just my attempt to contribute something positive to our community, not encourage negativity.

As a Hasselblad owner and daily user, like many others in this forum, any news from Hasselblad regarding new products related to the exquisite X1D is welcome. Not that I could ever dream of buying a new MFD system whether it be a $10,000 Fuji 100MP camera or an ever-increasing number of brands following that path, mind you. I cannot.

But dreams are ok, right? and one day when depreciation has brought the purchase price into a possible range while every one is clamoring over the latest 500MP system, who knows, any of us might be buying one, because it will be obsolete and affordable system.

So, in the interest of allowing others to enjoy the news of something exciting, can we stay on topic and not cast disparaging remarks, please?

Dave

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #29
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
Im guessing the X2D (or will it be the X1D-100C?).

The X1D is a digital XPAN, shoots with the 30, 45 & 90 lenses in XPAN format.
Btw, Bob, I see you are still enjoying the X1D!

Dave

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #30
jsrockit

Quote:
The original post is my willingness to share good news for a change, in a works that is full of hate, intolerance and chaos.
Thank you Dave, I would never see it otherwise.

Quote:
Not to read snarky remarks and jokes. Just my attempt to contribute something positive to our community, not encourage negativity.
I am sorry, but I can`t help but see people buying more and more expensive cameras simply because of the best specs on paper. It goes against why I love photography... the art of photography. I prefer it to the science of photography.

Quote:
As a Hasselblad owner and daily user, like many others in this forum, any news from Hasselblad regarding new products related to the exquisite X1D is welcome. Not that I could ever dream of buying a new MFD system whether it be a $10,000 Fuji 100MP camera or an ever-increasing number of brands following that path, mind you. I cannot.
Nothing wrong with that... but if you could afford it I`d have no issue. You know how to make photographs and I know it would go to good use.

Quote:
But dreams are ok, right? and one day when depreciation has brought the purchase price into a possible range while every one is clamoring over the latest 500MP system, who knows, any of us might be buying one, because it will be obsolete and affordable system.
Of course, I might be one of them...

Quote:
So, in the interest of allowing others to enjoy the news of something exciting, can we stay on topic and not cast disparaging remarks, please?
Sorry, once again.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #31
robert blu
quiet photographer

Dreams are ok, I hope my post didn't disturb too much but I agree with jsrockit on that point. Anyway excuse me, please.

Yes , 3 days and 22 hours can be a long time...let's our imagination work and let's dream about!

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #32
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Most people are expecting the X1D Mark II version to be 100MP.
Well that would explode my computer. My old Mac Pro struggles with a card full of 24MP images.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #33
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

It is common for these days style of politics.

Some not yet news, which some not even able to see or recognize as news. Some are criticizing company for something. And some are quick to brush criticism or just having fun (because no real news) as hate and demanding to stop people exchange of their opinions.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #34
JeffS7444

Ooh, let it be a new mobile device, subscription service or app! </sarcasm>

In a sense, digital Xpan has already been on the market for years; you just need a little imagination to see it: One such example could be a Fujifilm GFX50R with cropped panoramic mode. Not aware of Sony or anyone else making a native panoramic-format sensor, and if they did, most of us couldn't afford it.

Quote:
Yes but they help to keep the market afloat.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #35
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Btw, Bob, I see you are still enjoying the X1D!
Very much! The Canham 810 has not seen daylight since.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #36
Dan Daniel

Quote:
There is no news, meaning information recently made known. It is a marketing campaign. No camera, no content. The equivalent of the "Breaking News!!!" flashing graphic on news shows.

If you had something real to talk about, you may have a point. But you don't.

We should all feel free to poke fun at empty spaces and Wizard of Oz buffoonery promoted by carnival barkers and grifters. And Hasselblad, like Leica, has shown itself fully willing to play such a role.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #37
Larry Cloetta

Dave’s a good guy.

It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby. Elliot Erwitt

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #38
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
We should all feel free to poke fun at empty spaces and Wizard of Oz buffoonery promoted by carnival barkers and grifters. And Hasselblad, like Leica, has shown itself fully willing to play such a role.

I agree totally with this ... it reflects my sentiment perfectly.

I will add that Dave Lackey is a stand up guy and stalwart RFFer for as long as I've had the pleasure of knowing him.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #39
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

I will add that Dave Lackey is a stand up guy and stalwart RFFer for as long as I've had the pleasure of knowing him.

To quote you: I agree totally with this ... it reflects my sentiment perfectly. I did not mean to disparage Dave with my comments, and apologies to all, epsecially Dave, for any insult.

Of course no apologies for my post, either... Hassy has earned the right to be mocked, and also to be praised for some amazing gear that has been of value to many.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #40
David Murphy

Maybe they've inked some sort of deal to be the official provider of cameras to Lunar missions again. For those who were around in that era, that was a major profile raising event for Hasselblad (and deservedly so).
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com