Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Planning for Indoor Shooting B&W with unknown light level
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
maigo

Planning for Indoor Shooting B&W with unknown light level

I am going on a tour inside a high school tomorrow mid-afternoon and I need some advice on film choice.
I anticipate the outside light will be bright due to time of year and sunny day.
I will be taking pictures of the interior and people on the tour.
I have three films to choose from tri-x, tmax 400 and delta 3200. *Maybe* some HP5+ is in the back of the freezer.
Camera/lens is either Bessa R4M and Ultron-M 35/1.7 or Olympus OM2-SP plus 24/2.8 and 50/1.4. Or both combos hahaha.
I rarely shoot this kind of scenario and I always at box speed.
I would like to avoid going below 1/60s as I am not steadiest of handheld shooters.
Grain is OK.
Lower contrast is preferred.

In order to have a higher shutter speed I might need to made a choice to shoot outside of box speed.

What do I lose or gain in image qualities by pushing tri-x or tmax two stops or by shooing Delta 3200 at 1600?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
CharlesDAMorgan

I'd push Tmax or TriX 2 stops - IF your metering determines it to be necessary. With a lot of external light and interior lighting you may well find you don't need to push much, and Tmax can be exposed at 800 with normal development with minimal loss of shadow detail. Both are highly capable of being pushed and even in low light produce excellent shadow details without a huge amount of grain - it does depend on your developing plans though. I find P3200 is grain at all levels and pointless you find you don't need it.

With my ageing eyesight I find it hard to nail focus at f1.4 in low light, so another consideration and obviously, with lost latitude, under-exposure can be fatal.

Tmax pushed to 1600 in very low light

TriX pushed 2 stops in like conditions

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
robert blu
quiet photographer

@ maigo: how did the shooting go? Which lens and which film did you decide to use? It would be interesting to know about it, thanks
rob

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF