Harrowing WATE (16-18-21 Tri-elmar) experience
Old 04-11-2007   #1
gerasdoc

Harrowing WATE (16-18-21 Tri-elmar) experience

I had been wanting get a WATE but I didn't think it was likely to be soon considering all of the posts reporting how long people have been waiting to get one. However, to my surprise a new WATE popped up on Ebay yesterday. After about a hour of indecision, I clicked the "buy-it-now" link. The dealer selling it happens to be located about 30 miles from me so I jumped in the car today to get it. On arriving the lens was brought out to me and as the salesman and I were chatting, I noticed that the red threaded ring at the front was loose and the and the hood was difficult to scew on. As we tried to identify the underlying problem, more things started to go wrong. The aperture ring became loose. At one point the retaining ring, thread ring, and aperture ring fell off the lens!!. He tried to get the appropriate tech person at Leica on the phone, but he was not at his desk. At that point I had to get back to work. He promised to get it sorted out and I left without my WATE.

The salesman called me about 20 minutes later to tell me that he had figured out the problem. The hood that came with my lens was a smidgen too long and caused the aformentioned peices to become unscrewed as it was taken on and off (I had done this while we were talking). Once a correctly sized hood was substituted (swapped out from the other WATE) everything was fixed. I turned the car around and happily took my WATE home ( I was late for work).

Old 04-11-2007   #2
Lemures-Ex
Jared S

Worth being late for work I feel