Your summilux is a strange case.
Read :VIEWFINDER
QUARTERLY JOURNAL OF THE LEICA HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA

VOLUME 29 NUMBER 3
THIRD QUARTER 1996

Legendary Leica Lenses:
The 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M
by Dick Gilcreast

All 35 summilux had a certain degree of field curvature. Who needed a flat field used a summmicron.

Old 07-31-2018   #1602
Erik van Straten

So you had to buy two lenses? What a nonsense.

No, there are bad series and good series. The original Summilux 35mm, the "steel rim", had no field curvature at all. No distortion either. Later series of the Summilux 35mm (made in Germany) are great too. Maybe some later Canadian batches too.

Erik.

Old 07-31-2018   #1603
avvsergius

No. There are good lens and bad lens. You have one of both. People very qualified tell us 35 summilux was projected with curvature field from 2.8 to 8 f/stop.This for obtain a flat field with 1.4 and 2 f/stop and a beautiful 3dimensional image. The 35 summilux is not easy lens to use. You have to learn to use and you can obtain great results exploiting his features. Also the 50 lux pre ash has no flat field. You need two 2 lens ? No. You have to choose between summicron or a lux depending on your needs.

Old 07-31-2018   #1604
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvsergius View Post
No. There are good lens and bad lens.
Ah, you think there was no quality control at Leitz?

Qualified people? I am very qualified too. I'm working since 1971 with Leica M.

A threedimensional image with a bad lens ... hmm. I don't get it, I'm sorry.

Erik.

Old 07-31-2018   #1605
Artingei

@avvsergius yes, the second ones were shot with the summilux.

@Erik, my copies' serial is 25XXXX, which dates it to '72. It was CLAed recently and sold by the Leica Store in Berlin (Meister Camera) as BB condition. I will return it tomorrow but i don't blame this copy. The problem is my expectation I have when I pay this price. I didn't expect it to be so flat and soft at f4 to 5.6 and I didn't even test it on a digital camera.

I am fine with my Jupiter-12 for now, I really like it's rendering, contrast and how it paints OOF areas. Maybe I will look for a modern Biogon-C or a Pre ASPH Summicron sooner or later for my M. The Jupiter belongs on a LTM Body (FED2, Zorki4k or Barnack Leica).

Old 07-31-2018   #1606
avvsergius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Ah, you think there was no quality control at Leitz?

Qualified people? I am very qualified too. I'm working since 1971 with Leica M.

A threedimensional image with a bad lens ... hmm. I don't get it, I'm sorry.

Erik.
1) Quality control is a bit difficult after 50 years...

2) I quoted a technical article. Tom A and many other qualified people told same things.

3) The 35 lux is a wonderful lens, not a bad lens. In any case from your photos with 35 lux don't emerge any 3dimensional effect. Because, generally, you takes landscape photo in the morning hours. If you don't need 1.4 f/s you can use a summicron. A very perfect lens for this kind of photo.

Old 07-31-2018   #1607
avvsergius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artingei View Post
@avvsergius yes, the second ones were shot with the summilux.
I choose the second ones because at that apertures there is a positive field curvature. The front corners are more in focus than the edges. It's very normal for a 35 lux. It's was projected so. From f8 to upper the depth of field hides this. You can use this at your advantage. Think a photo in internal house. You can have in focus either the center of photo and the edges near to you too.

Old 07-31-2018   #1608
Erik van Straten

The problem is the Leitz policy around 1966 when the Japanese cameras became popular in Europe and the US. The Japanese products were cheaper than the Leitz offerings, so Leitz had to do something. They cheapened their products. The M3 became an M4, the Summicron 50mm became anodized instead of chromed and was made with one optical element less. The Summilux 35mm was cheapened too. Instead of with five exotic kinds of glass it was made with ordinary glasses started at serial number 222XXXX (1965). That is why a Summilux 35mm f/1.4 steel rim with the serial number 206XXXX or 216XXXX (1964) will cost you now at least EUR 7.000 and the later ones maybe EUR 2.000.

Erik.

Old 07-31-2018   #1609
avvsergius

The steel rim costs 7000 euro for a simple reason. Because is a very rare version. No one has ever heard about exotics or super lens in the first version of 35 lux. If it’s true what you say it should a very big scoop and you could write a new history about 35 lux. Do you have any evidence for us ?

Old 07-31-2018   #1610
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

Agreed! ^^^ Finally somebody talking sense in these past few posts.

Erik, you need to get over this. It is misleading, totally unproven and actually fabricated by you and you only... It's getting really boring I'm afraid.

Move on old boy...

Simon

Old 07-31-2018   #1611
Erik van Straten

The US Patent 2975673 was filed on 26. Aug. 1959 for the Summilux steel rim 35mm f/1.4. There were 7 elements/5 groups made of 5 types high-refractive glass, indexes from 1.70444 to 1.7899. There were two batches, one in 1960 and the other in 1964. The price of the lens was very high and therefore Leitz made a version wich cheaper glasses (serial nr. started at 222XXXX) that was the reason for the bad reputation the Summilux had and still has, "glow" and all that. Fortunately the steel rim never glows.

The lens is not really rare, about 7.000 pieces were made. I don't think people pay this amount of money just because of this kind of rarity.

Simon Flat Twin, if you find it boring, don't read it. Please move on.

Erik.

Old 07-31-2018   #1612
MikeL
Go Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Twin View Post
Agreed! ^^^ Finally somebody talking sense in these past few posts.

Erik, you need to get over this. It is misleading, totally unproven and actually fabricated by you and you only... It's getting really boring I'm afraid.

Move on old boy...

Simon
Simon, it isn't as interesting or value-inducing to think that they changed the formula since the steel rim was more flare prone. Imagining it has special magical pixie dust is a better story.

I've had both, there's not enough difference to make or break a photo (and Erik's photos from both show it). If you really like less contrast and don't mind lots more flare, than throw dough at a steel rim.

If you want want a small lens that flares less, has funky aberrations at f1.4-f2, but sharpens nicely when stopped down, get a version 2 and steer clear of the magic-pixie-dust-hand-assembled-by-virgins-it-will-make-better-photos stories....

Old 07-31-2018   #1613
Erik van Straten

Mike, I don't think that the steel rim has more flare, maybe your copy needed some cleaning.

There is also a difference between the 1960 and the 1964 versions. I have both. The 1960 version has a lot more coma, maybe that is what you call "flare". Was your copy the 1960 or the 1964 version? (numbers 17XXXXX or 206XXXX)?

Erik.

Old 08-01-2018   #1614
avvsergius

Quote:
The US Patent 2975673 was filed on 26. Aug. 1959 for the Summilux steel rim 35mm f/1.4. There were 7 elements/5 groups made of 5 types high-refractive glass, indexes from 1.70444 to 1.7899. There were two batches, one in 1960 and the other in 1964. The price of the lens was very high and therefore Leitz made a version wich cheaper glasses (serial nr. started at 222XXXX) that was the reason for the bad reputation the Summilux had and still has, "glow" and all that. Fortunately the steel rim never glows.

The lens is not really rare, about 7.000 pieces were made. I don't think people pay this amount of money just because of this kind of rarity.

Erik.
The patent isn't an evidence. Based on your thesis so we should have a stack of patents...One for model of 1964, one for version II, one for google, another one for Germany version .....
In any case if your 35 steel rim doesn't glow is a bad version of this lens.
Who should buy a 35 summilux without glow and other aberrations ? Aberrations (calculated) are the heart of a summilux 35. If you see your portraits you can note that they missing of characteristic of lens. They are completely flat.
The simple reason of cost is because is very rare and it is a very nice object too. And yes.... there are many people pay this amount of money for this kind of things.
Why the people should buy for a lot of money a leica black MP original or a black M3 ? Because they have thaumaturgic powers ?

Old 08-01-2018   #1615
Erik van Straten

People who buy a Summilux 35 because of the abberations are throwing money away. Buy a Jupiter 12. Discussion closed from my side.

Erik.

Old 08-01-2018   #1616
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

Quote:
People who buy a Summilux 35 because of the abberations is throwing money away. Buy a Jupiter 12. Discussion closed from my side.

Erik.

Discussion closed from your side Erik?

That’s great news and not a moment too soon. Well done!

S.

Old 08-01-2018   #1617
astro8

I have a 216XXXX non steel rim, non goggled, black anodised version.

It could be the first of the rubbish, the last of the best or a combination of both!

My RFF Gallery

Old 08-01-2018   #1618
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro8 View Post
I have a 216XXXX non steel rim, non goggled, black anodised version.

It could be the first of the rubbish, the last of the best or a combination of both!
Yes, that is true, I've seen some of those too! Very interesting. Can you post a picture of this one? Just for the record.

Erik.

Old 08-01-2018   #1619
pyeh

I don’t know if Erik's theory of Summilux 35 variants is correct or not, but his photos are impeccable.

Old 08-01-2018   #1620
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Twin View Post
Discussion closed from your side Erik?

That’s great news and not a moment too soon. Well done!

S.
Thank you, Simon and thank you for your enormous positive contribution to the discussion. In terms of content it was fantastic.

Erik.

Old 08-01-2018   #1621
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
I don’t know if Erik's theory of Summilux 35 variants is correct or not, but his photos are impeccable.
Thank you, but some people don't like that. Tastes differ.

Erik.

Old 08-01-2018   #1622
giulio stucchi

234xxx here (around 1969), infinity lock.
never had or use a hood with it.

perfect lens? no
mint condition? no
do I enjoy using it? yes but not as an everyday lens (this is a job for my summaron)

a pic from a couple of years ago, guess meter, around 800 asa and the only time I use the self timer on my 1963's M2

a bit of fun on a bavarian road trip:

Giulio

(still here but shooting very little lately)

Old 08-01-2018   #1623
astro8

Erik, best I can do at short notice...

My RFF Gallery

Old 08-01-2018   #1624
Erik van Straten

Thank you, Greg, this is in my files the first of the series after the steel rim. The cut becomes narrower. Do you have the original shade? Should be without any engraving.

Erik.

Old 08-01-2018   #1625
astro8

Erik, yes, original hood, screw apart seriesVII, no engravings.

My RFF Gallery

Old 08-02-2018   #1626
avvsergius

Quote:
People who buy a Summilux 35 because of the abberations are throwing money away. Buy a Jupiter 12. Discussion closed from my side.

Erik.
The discussion is closed because you have no technical arguments. Many people has to justify his shopping with spouses, fiancé, parents or himself. But please, it should be better invent something different from exotics lens never documented. This is not acceptable for a reputable community like rangefinderforum.

I like to finish this discussion with an extract taken from first message where this (beautiful ) thread is started:...."Some respected RFF members do all what they can to discredit this lens in favor of the newer Zeiss or ASPH offerings. They say it's not sharp, shows light falloff and it flares. My personal thinking is those are part of its qualities and undeniable charm. One doesn't shoot the 35 summilux pre-asph for sharpness per se. One shoots it for its overall very unique rendition."....

It's all true. This is the reason why this lens is so loved. Who loves poetic aspect of photography can't not love this incredible gem. And the most photos of this thread are the better evidence.

Old 08-02-2018   #1627
jamin-b

Quote:
No, I think it was f/5.6 or f/4.

This shot is now "In Explore" on Flickr, believe it or not.

Erik.
Yeah, the in explore elections are hard to fathom, certainly not the shots I have viewed as my best...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Old 08-02-2018   #1628
presspass
filmshooter

I have never bothered with the different variations of this lens. I have one, made in Canada, and it does what I want it to. I'm happy with the results, either wet printed in the darkroom or scanned and used in our newspapers. But that applies to any of my lenses. If it does what I want, I use it and keep it. Otherwise, it gets sold or traded.

Old 08-02-2018   #1629
Emile de Leon

I keep learning new things about this pre 1.4 35mm lens I've owned for several years now..
Latest cool function...video by candle light..on m4/3..wide open..simply wonderful! Similar to Noctilux..with better dof..works as a 70mm on that format..

Old 08-02-2018   #1630
avvsergius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
I keep learning new things about this pre 1.4 35mm lens I've owned for several years now..
Latest cool function...video by candle light..on m4/3..wide open..simply wonderful! Similar to Noctilux..with better dof..works as a 70mm on that format..
No doubt. The 35 lux pre asph is like a little noctilux f1. It's his little brother. In fact Leica told that 35 lux was a "giant of light". Ah, a strange thing....also the noctilux f1 had a severe (less or more) curvature field. I wonder why ? Probably Leica didn't use special lens :-)

Doodling
Old 08-02-2018   #1631
analoged

Doodling

Whatever the differences are in the variations of this lens, I love my late german version! Its like two lenses in one, a lot like my 80 Lux R.

Time for more pics, instead of talk in this thread! A portrait of myself, doing what I love, making surfboards...

M6, 35 lux (@f2 or f2.8), Portra 400

IIIasync, 5cm Summar, 5cm Sonnar, 3.5cm Elmar, 13.5cm Sonnar

Leicaflex SL, Leicaflex SL2, R6.2, 28mm Elamrit Ver II, 80mm Lux, 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, 180 Elmarit, 400mm Telyt, 560mm Telyt

Epson R-D1

Old 08-11-2018   #1632
steveshea

M2 with 35 Lux Pre Tri-x @ 1600 Xtol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img476.jpg (20.7 KB, 99 views)

Old 08-11-2018   #1633
steveshea

another one with the 35 lux pre asph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img478.jpg (21.4 KB, 80 views)

Old 08-11-2018   #1634
steveshea

one more with lux pre asph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img461.jpg (29.2 KB, 81 views)

Old 08-28-2018   #1635
giulio stucchi

m2, summilux 35 pre-asph v2, infinity lock, t-max 400, perceptol

Giulio

Old 08-28-2018   #1636
giulio stucchi

m2, summilux 35 pre-asph v2, infinity lock, t-max 400, perceptol

Giulio

Old 09-20-2018   #1637
maddoc
... likes film.

BP M4, 35mm Summilux pre-ASPH 2nd (German-made), Tri-X, Microphen stock

by Gabor Samjeske, on Flickr

flickr
pBase

Old 11-05-2018   #1638
luuca

Old 11-30-2018   #1639
John inglis

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the comments and photos everyone.

I have been a lurker here and am slowly moving in the direction of acquiring an early copy of the version II goggled 35mm 1.4 Summilux. The number is 2166865 and it arrived in my hands today.

The goggled rangefinder focus looks at least close to accurate at a meter, but somewhat off at infinity. It will take some time to shoot a roll of slide film and get it developed to see how accurate the focus is.

I sort of love and am scared of the custom side of these lenses where different copies have different properties!

Old 12-01-2018   #1640
John inglis

Erik and Helen, your photos are so wonderful, and have been key in drawing me to the summilux 35mm pre. Here is a shot of my very early version II:

But when the rangefinder images on my normally accurate M3 line up for infinity, the lens focus reads 30 feet. And with the rangefinder images at 1 meter, the lens focus is .9 meter.

Any recommendations on where to send it in the US where the turnaround is not too long?

Last edited by John inglis : 12-01-2018 at 11:11. Reason: misspelling