Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 06-16-2015   #41
Leica All Day

Hello Everybody,
As far as travel photography goes, I usually bring a full kit whenever I leave Bangkok, that includes 2 Leica film bodies (m6ttl, m6 classic) and a 15mm, 28mm Elmarit, 35mm 1.2, 50mm 1.4 Summilux and a 90mm Summicron. When I am just out for the day, I usually carry one camera with one lens with me, it can be anything from an M3, M2 or one of my m6's and 2 rolls of film. I try to bring a different focal length with me when I am just out and about town, I like the challenge of having one lens to work with. When I travel around S.E. Asia, I bring a full kit…….

Cheers,
Michael

Old 06-18-2015   #42
giellaleafapmu

A few days ago I went to a short trip with the family. I had prepared what I considered to be a light kit, DSLR with standard zoom and fast 35mm, Leica M4 with 40mm f2.0, Ricoh GXR with 28mm module, SB910 flash, two radio triggers, a collapsible reflector, smallish tripod and light meter. Quite by accident I asked my wife to move the bag out of the reach of the dog and she screamed at me that I was crazy to bring all that weight with me. For one I decided to listen to her and got only the Ricoh with a spare battery and a Leica CL which was not in the original bag. I guess she was right because the pictures I got were not any worse than usual and I really think I would not have enjoyed carrying around all the weight, not to mention that probably most of the gear would not really have been used and would have been just redundant stuff. Whatever you bring, unless you are on assignment (which you are not for what you say), think that in a trip sometimes less is actually more.

GLF

Old 06-18-2015   #43
FrankS

ALWAYS listen to your wife.

photography makes me happy

Old 06-18-2015   #44
Oscuro
He's French, I'm Italian.

X100 and 6 batteries

or

GX1 with 14/2.5 and 4 batteries

WiFi cards to iPhone via Eye-fi

As well, this is the core of the field work setup. Additions may include D3 and lenses, laptop w external drives, strobes, headlamps and reflectors. Lately we're experimenting with an iPad mini instead of the laptop, using SD cards as backup. We'll see. It's nice to travel light. My preference is the X and the phone.

Old 06-18-2015   #45
back alley
IMAGES

i have 2 bodies and 2 lenses for 'serious' shooting whether at home or elsewhere...

Old 06-18-2015   #46
Ron (Netherlands)

currently no rangefinders, but 2.8f Rolleiflex and Pentax MX

Leica: IIa synch conversion, IIIb, M6 TTL Millenium, 2x Rolleicord Vb, 2x Rolleiflex 3.5F white face, Rolleiflex 2.8A, 5x ICA Tropica

My Flickr

Old 06-18-2015   #47
Robin3mj

Ricoh GR only.

Old 06-18-2015   #48
wjlapier

Oh yeah, the iPhone 6+ is an awesome camera.

I bring too much, but on the next trip to Montana, Leica M7 and Nikon 35/3.5 and 50/1.4 lenses. Probably, LX-7 for digital--and the 6+. I'm tired of the huge bag of cameras and trying to decide which one to use when.

Old 06-18-2015   #49
peterm1

My travel photography set up, let's see. Usually despite swearing I will never do it again it's a big DSLR, too many lenses and the address of a good chiropractor.

Old 06-18-2015   #50
Bisakok

For me the going somewhere exciting kit for say a week or more is a Rolleiflex FX-N, and an FW. The going out for the day kit is one of those. My missus is a dab hand with the iPhone, and I guess its a little frustrating that her pics are uploaded usually before we even get home, whereas mine are still safely rolled up in the bag. Still, two months later, when the developing and scanning is done, I can say 'hey hon, remember this?'

Old 06-19-2015   #51
Doug

For a one or two week trip, I'll usually take two cameras, one for backup or as an alternative. And if it's a road trip it's usually medium format. Just today I returned from a drive to San Diego and back to the Seattle area. I took the Leica S2, 100mm and the 35mm. As backup alternative if I got tired of lugging the weight I had a second bag with Pentax dSLR and 21 + 43mm. The Pentax kit did not get used.

Last Fall in Hawaii I had the M240 and used it with 75 Heliar extensively. Also, as a second rig, an M8 that was used a bit.

Generally I like to use the largest camera that will be convenient in the circumstances... I have traveled with Pentax 67II at times, and with Bronica RF645. When out and about I don't carry the bag over my shoulder... it stays in the car or hotel. Just one camera and lens at hand, as otherwise it's a strain on the brain as well as the back.

Old 06-19-2015   #52
om.ch

RZ67 with GS645 pro as a backup usually, even though the Fuji has sprung light leaks as of late.

I guess I like to have a workout with my hikes/trips.

Old 06-19-2015   #53
struene

Hallo,

for 2 1/2 weeks romania i had a Bessa R2 + 35/2.5II and a mju-II as a backup/evening-flash-camera. Worked out pretty well. Should have stayed with BW-film though. Its not easy to find good colours and good light everywhere... These two cameras are just perfect: lightweight superergonomic and you don´t loose a fortune if something gets damaged or stolen... so you can concentrate on the phtography and the trip and having fun instead of caring for the camera all the time...

Would take the Mamiya 7 + 65/4.0 and even a tripod in addition to that, if photography was the most important part of a trip.

For a super light travel setup (only a 35 liter Backpack and a small canvas tote bag for 3 weeks vietnam) i took just a fuji x100.

schöne Grüße,

Johann

Old 06-19-2015   #54
Landberg

All I travel with is a Leica M4-P with a zeiss biogon-c 35. I have owned a lot of cameras, both digital and film but the M4-P is my favorite. I owned the CL, M2, M3, M5 and the M6 but the M4-P has something special to it.
I use a Fjällräven Skule 30 backpack and that's it.

Old 06-19-2015   #55
giellaleafapmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
ALWAYS listen to your wife.
Am I getting old already?

GLF

Old 06-19-2015   #56
lawrence

• Zeiss Ikon with 25mm Biogon, 35mm Biogon & 50mm Planar, loaded with 100 film (currently Foma Classic)
  • M6TTL with 35mm Nokton SC, loaded with 400 film (currently Tri-X)
  • Canon Ixus 220 HS for quick digital snaps
This gives plenty of options without being over the top.

Old 06-19-2015   #57
ktmrider

Either M2 or M9 with 21/35/90. Sometimes both bodies or two M2's. If I get lazy, I take just a 35 or 50.

Funny, but I am happy to use whatever I take so if a couple bodies and various lenses then that is what I use. If I am lazy and only take one body with one lens, I find I am happy with that setup as well.

Old 06-19-2015   #58
Oscuro
He's French, I'm Italian.

Yeah, if you look at Harvey and Maisel, the axiom which states "the less gear taken the more pictures taken" becomes a proof.

Old 06-19-2015   #59
FranZ

Hi, You have an X-T1; so why don't you use that. with the 18-138 as a wheather resistant walk-around combo and your favorite primes ( I would take the 23 and 56, maybe the 18 too) for high quality available light.
This should do the trick nicely.

FranZ

'The question is not what you look at, but what you see' - Thoreau

Sony A7R3, RX1Rm2, RX100M6 & a lot of fun

Old 06-19-2015   #60
Spanik

I'd take some digital with good iso and a basic zoom. Then for trips around my standard Mamiya 645 bag. Maybe with an extra wide for onboard and a tele for when nearing shore.

Old 06-19-2015   #61
Martin Carone Santos

Business travel: leica III with Elmar 5cm or folding Zeiss Contessa.

If I have how to take other lens, I pick Elmars 3,5 and 9. Eventually Hektor 13,5, but usually the 9cm do the work.

My film is always b&w. FP4 or Double-x for much light, Tri-x as 800 ASA for low light.

The table tripod is always a good idea too!

Old 06-19-2015   #62
narsuitus

I am traveling right now. Here is my typical travel setup when I want to travel with a light photographic load:

Canon G15 has replaced the Canon G11 shown in this photo
Battery charger
Extra Battery
Extra memory Cards
Polarizing Filter
Pocket-size tripod (not shown)

Travel Camera by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 06-24-2015   #63
Ben Z

I still have many film cameras but haven't shot film on vacation in a while. I don't mind developing a roll or 2 of b/w now and then, and scanning a few negs, but for travel I want to shoot color, so digital is just a lot less hassle (and expense, as I already own the digital cameras).

My current kit for a "serious" trip is 2x M240 and 4 lenses. 15-21-35-90 for mostly city/town destinations, or 15-28-50-135 for mostly landscape-type destinations.

My kit for "non-serious" trips such as going to visit family in another state, is a 12mp Canon Rebel with the 18-55 and 55-250 IS kit lenses. The whole shebang cost me <$500 used, so if I want to be in a shot I can hand it to someone and not worry they might drop it.

Old 06-24-2015   #64
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kknox View Post
Going on a 40th wedding aniversary cruise soon. Oh what cameras to take.
If I were going on an anniversary cruise, I would do the same thing I just did -- give the camera to my spouse so I could relax and enjoy the vacation.

Old 06-24-2015   #65
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by kknox View Post
Going on a 40th wedding aniversary cruise soon. Oh what cameras to take. I have an M8, M6, X113 & Fuji XT1. Was thinking of taking Ektar 100 and the M6 along with the X113. I go back & forth about taking the Fuji, as want to travel light, but I do love the 10-24 lens.

Today Im down to the M8 w/zeiss 25, & the X113. What do you travel with?
Funny you should ask.
We just returned last night from an eight-day vacation in California.
I took two film bodies (motorized Nikons-FA and F3P) and three zooms (17~28, 35~105 and 80~200). And a pile of 100 ISO colour slide.
Could have gotten away with one body (either would have been fine) and for as many shots as I took with it, left the 80~200 at home.

Old 06-25-2015   #66
jos58

Cool

Just returned from a 3 week trip to the far east. I had with me a M43 olympus with standard zoom, Rolleicord III with plenty of Fuji velvia 50 (used 5 rolls out of 10), Rollei 35 S with Cinestill 50 colorfilm (used 1 roll out of 3).
Now I learned my lesson. Too many camera's. Somebody mentioned it before [don't know if it was on this forum ]: I either go on vacation or I'm going to shoot photos!
The next vacation it will be just a digital camera to shoot the holiday pictures.

Old 06-25-2015   #67
kanzlr
Hexaneur

I do plan to take my Pentax 645N + 45/75/200 and a Tripod, along with Provia 100F for our hiking trip

Old 06-25-2015   #68
besk

Changed my mind! After seeing what can be done with the 50/3.5 RD Elmar by Erik von Straten and others I decided to take my IIIf with the Elmar and a VC 28/3.5. I want to enjoy the trip and not concentrate on photography.

Headed to Minsk on Sunday. My 7th trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by besk View Post
Medium format for me. If I print anything I want it large.

Headed to Minsk, Belarus at the end of June for a couple of weeks. Taking a miniature Crown Graphic with RH12 6X6 and Horseman 6X9 (adapted) backs. Lenses are 65/6.8 Angulon and 105/3.7 Kodak Ektar.

This goes in a Domke F-803 satchel.

Old 06-25-2015   #69
uhoh7

M9 28cron and 90 Summarit.......gee that 50 cron v4 tabbed is like nothing....better take it too

No wait, M9 needs help in the dark. Leave the 50 cron, and take the equally small Sonnetar.

OK, I'm ready, where are we going?

Old 06-25-2015   #70
craygc

I've been slightly re-jigging my kit around a Sony A7II (to address smearing issues). Never more than 3 lenses; CV 15mm v3, Leica 28mm Elmarit v3, Zeiss 50mm C-Sonnar plus a Ricoh GR

Old 06-25-2015   #71
NickTrop

Digital
1. Olympus XZ-1
2. Nikon DSLR + 1 (and only one) lens *
*(I have 3 lenses... Ultrawide 10-20, 35mm f1.8, and Rokinon 85/1.4. I bring ONLY one lens with me and shoot "just" with that lens...)
____
Film...
1. Olympus XA
2. Nikon L35AF
3. Pentax PC35AF

Whatever I feel like shooting. All fun shooters.

Old 06-25-2015   #72
Dave Jenkins
Loose Canon

For our 50th anniversary trip to Alaska, Vancouver, Seattle, and Idaho later this summer, I plan to take two Olympus E-M5 bodies and the 20mm f1.7 Panasonic, Oly 45mm f1.8, and Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 lenses. I took the same basic outfit to El Salvador in 2013 and it did just fine. The whole kit weighs just four ounces more than a Canon 5D with a 24-85mm lens.

My newest book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia is available now wherever books are sold.
Georgia: A Backroads Portrait http://blur.by/1gg1SMt is awaiting publication.
My best-selling book (28,000+ copies) is Rock City Barns: A Passing Era.
My web site: davidbjenkins.com

Old 06-25-2015   #73
JChrome
Street Worker

A friend lent me his Fuji X-T1 for some shooting today. It's comfy, solid feeling and the photos have nice color rendition.

Anyway, I always travel with a medium format camera. Pentax 67s and Fuji 690's mostly.

What has me excited is the Travelwide mated with a Horseman 6x12 back. With the 90mm it could be comparable to the Fuji 690 except its a 6x12 and without a coupled rangefinder... I think it would be great to travel with :-)

Old 06-26-2015   #74
konicaman
konicaman

Used to bring 2 bags full of gear when travelling by car - most of it never got used. My kit these days (no matter the transport) is an LX100 and a small rangefinder, usually a C35 or S3, for B/W. Both in a neveready case so I can keep them in a non-photo shoulder bag with all the normal vacation stuff.

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Old 06-26-2015   #75
Scapevision

I bring a Mamiya C220 and a possible MeFoto tripod. Not necessary. A little filter pouch and light meter. More film than cameras. No batteries. Never fails.

Old 06-26-2015   #76
Bingley

Report from the road: winding up a week in Amsterdam, heading to Dublin tomorrow. I've used the Leica IIIc, Summitar, and Canon 35/2.0 extensively w/ b&w film. Big surprise is how much I'm enjoying the results from an Oly E-P5 and Oly 17/2.8 lens. I've also used the E-P5 with an Oly 45/1.8 for close-ups. I'm alternating days shooting film and digital.
(in part to conserve film for Dublin). The Oly XA slips into my pocket when going out to dinner, otherwise I usually leave it back at the hotel. The trip is reinforcing a conclusion that I can live happily with 50 and 35 focal lengths or their equivalents.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 08-21-2015   #77
Kent
Finally at home...

That really depends where I am going and how I am travelling. And it changes, constantly.

ATM, my "essentials" read like this:

* Nikon Df & Nikon F3 (Sigma EX 1.8/20, Nikkor AI-S 1.4/35, Nikkor AI-S 1.4/50, Nikkor AF 1.8/85D and perhaps one tele lens)
* One film rangefinder cam (probably the Kodak Retina IIIc).
* Sony Xperia Z3

But it could also be:
* Fuji X-T1 & X-E2 (Samyang 2.0/12, Fuji 1.4/35, Fuji 18-55 AND a Pentax 2.8/100 adapted with a regular adapter and a FocalLenghtReducer OR an Novoflex adapted Nikkor-H 1.8/85)
* Leica C2
* Sony Xperia Z3

or some other gear plus the Sony Xperia Z3.

You see, the only constant is the Xperia Z3, because I'd bring that gem anyway.

It'd kinda weird, although I really like my M8, I hardly travel with it...
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 08-21-2015   #78
mdarnton

I usually take some 35mm camera and a 50mm, and some kind of wide at the wide end of the 15-28mm range.
Nikon FG, 50/1.4, 24/2.8; or
Leica iiia, f3.5 Elmar, 15mm Heliar; or
Leica M4, 50 Summicron, 21mm C/V.
Bunch of Tri-X, no meter or tripod or anything like that.
I never shoot with a tele except a 90 once in a blue moon, so I never bring one, but sometimes I may bring 2 wides, like a 15mm and 28mm, plus the always-present 50.

Mostly I try to bring as little as I can, baggage as well as cameras. If you see me around town on a normal day, I probably have one of the sets above with me, also, so vacations are nothing special in that regard.
What? You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Old 08-21-2015   #79
mdwsta4
Matty Westside

I'll echo a few other commenters in that nowadays I usually bring one digital and one film body. Pictured is a typical travel carry for me. Leica film camera w/ 50mm, Fuji digital camera (35mm), 6-8 rolls of film, external battery charger, extra batteries, filters, and lens pen. Sometimes I'll only bring the Fuji x100t plus the TCL (for 50mm) and Instax printer. Depends on where I'm traveling and what I want to shoot. The mini printer is amazing, especially when traveling to other countries where there's a language barrier. Until recently I used it exclusively to give away prints and start conversations. People love it!

Leica MP
Hasselblad 500 CM
Fujifilm TX-1

Fujifilm X100F
Fujifilm X-Pro 2

Old 08-21-2015   #80
dwojr

I took two vacations this year both driving only.

Spring break I took a Fuji Instax neo 90, Instax wide, and a Sigma DP2M. Also I used my iPhone 5. I put together a travel diary with the Instax prints which was really nice.

Summer trip to Acadia Park I took Fuji X30 and a holga.

If I was flying I would just take a digital cam and leave the film at home.