Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Lack of respect for cheap digital camera ?
Old 09-12-2015   #1
dee

Lack of respect for cheap digital camera ?

I have just realised that I treat my M8 with respect in terms of trying to acquire the best snapshots I can manage.

However , I have not afforded such care to the oh-so-basic - and inexpensive Sony A290/390 , especially in checking settings , switching focus mode , and holding it still .

f I am not applying myself with the reasonable 35mm f1.8 ?

It's evidently a matter of perception , because the M8 is my dream camera and the Sony just to use an old Minolta 35-70.

I took care with the budget film Minolta 404si with that same lens , but have not afforded it's digital equivalent the same RESPECT .
I am now determined to correct that problem .

I wonder if this failing is unique to me ?

dee
Fuji X-Pro 1 and X-M1 joined by neat X-T1

Contax/Kiev hybrids - Contax II silver /tan , Contax III + Kiev IV meter etc , Contax II , Kiev shutter from parts camera .
Minolta SR1s/SR7v/SRTs various !

Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' dee'structive dee'sorientation contained.

Old 09-12-2015   #2
JP Owens

I think you are overthinking this. Who knows why we do what we do?

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 09-13-2015   #3
dee

Probably overthink everything !
It's a bi like that in ASD outside of common sense la-la Land !! LOL.

Contax/Kiev hybrids - Contax II silver /tan , Contax III + Kiev IV meter etc , Contax II , Kiev shutter from parts camera .

Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' dee'structive dee'sorientation contained.

Old 09-13-2015   #4
oscroft

I've seen people produce excellent shots from simple phone cameras - a number of pros have published great portfolios in recent years.

So no, I don't think any camera should be given any specific respect over another - it's the results that deserve the respect. And one thing's for sure, shots taken with a cheap Sony A290/390 are always going to beat shots not taken with a more expensive camera because the owner is being too careful with it.

My Flickr

Old 09-13-2015   #5
panerai

Everyone is different on how they treat their property.

You treat the Leica better as it's more expensive than the Sony

I treat everything I own with respect. Regardless of cost

Then there's some that treat the cheap better than the expensive

I met with a client one time who invited a friend to make a purchase from me (I sell leather watch straps). The friend treated his low cost $200 replica watches with more respect than the $6,000 watch he also brought with him.

Laying the replicas on the table with great care and just dropping the $6,000 watch as if it was the cheap watch.

That made my jaw drop a bit.

DON

Old 09-13-2015   #6
Kent
Finally at home...

I know what you mean. I've got (or I should say I had) several "old" DSLRs and still have quite a number of old digital cams here. The compact cams are next to "worthless" (if I wanted to sell them) now and the DSLRs I sold went for very low prices.

Perhaps we don't show a lot of respect to them because we see everywhere that they can be bought for peanuts. I don't know. But then, we also wouldn't pay much respect to older film cams either, because they also have lost most of their value. Ah, yes, I guess many just do that.
Strangely enough, I have sold almost all my old AF-Film-SLRs (except the Nikon F90x) but kept almost all my manual focus SLRs. Weird, isn't it?

And if you compare the prices that e.g. a Nikon F-801s and a Nikon FM go for, you'll see that the FM will always be more expensive, although the F-801s surely is not worse as a cam. Probably, people do not trust "old" electronics.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 09-13-2015   #7
raid
Dad Photographer

I am using a LUMIX LC-1 quite often. I bought it used for $200. I also often use my Olympus E-PL1 that I bought new for $150. I bought the M8 and M9 used, and I am not feeling a huge drop in market value as I did not pay that much for each of these two cameras. What is "cheap" depends on how you view things.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 09-13-2015   #8
mdarnton

Phone cameras have gotten to the point where I reach for my phone as often as my Nikon DSLR when I need something digital. We recently redid my business web page, and many of the pictures I used were made with my phone. Two places where it beats the Nikon are in making panoramic views and quick-and-easy macro shots. I also use it all the time for archival progress shots on work because of the macro abilities.

Rehairing a violin bow, Samsung S4 phone:

What? You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Old 09-13-2015   #9
BillBingham2

My habit is to treat everything with the same high level of respect. My wife thinks it's way too high often, but then I overbuild stuff too.

B2

Old 09-13-2015   #10
Robert Lai

I try to treat everything equally with respect. Many years ago, I realized that what to me is a cheap object may be all that a person of lesser means can afford. Neither the object or the person should be treated with any less respect.

Old 09-13-2015   #11
dee

Thanks everyone.
I don't have confidence in my perception as ASD creates a separation and dream state unreality .
I get influenced by others views .
I now have a new learning curve to coax the best from my A290/A390 ' twins'
dee

Old 09-14-2015   #12
Georgiy Romanov
stray cat

I have a lot of respect for my cheap Nikon S9500. This little gem cost me almost nothing and I allow myself to do with it much more than with the more expensive cameras. Nikon do great work with their Coolpix Series. Great quality for still and video images. Also, I said what this camera have a killa x25 zoom? Leica have it? No. Smartphone have it? No.

Old 09-14-2015   #13
craygc

Assuming from your original post that be "care" you're referring more to the level of "paying attention to how you shoot" rather than the way you physically treat the camera. As an anecdote, I still at times use a Sony Nex 5n, however, if I just have the kit zoom on it and are just shooting 'snaps', I really don't care much how its setup, but if I have rangefinder lenses and the EVF attached and Im shooting seriously with it, then I am very careful about settings and configurations. So for me, 'care' in usage is more a function of the purpose of use.

Old 09-14-2015   #14
jsrockit

You probably just don't feel that into the camera...

Old 09-14-2015   #15
dee

Similar to my Minolta 404si , I love using the a290 , so much so , that I bought a used A390.
I shall pay much more attention , and slow down from now on.
dee