Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Lenses and Images

Voigtlander Lenses and Images Post threads showing images from Cosina Voigtlander Leica mount lenses here.

Old 07-09-2017   #41
raid
Dad Photographer

I have settled for the Kobalux 28/3.5. Yes, the market prices change with time. Several CV lenses have proven their "excellence" over time, and now, asking prices reflect the current market.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 07-09-2017   #42
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Hi Erik, passé as in pre-digital lenses no longer have color shift problems on digital Leicas? Leica has certainly made improvements with each subsequent model, but I don't think they've quite reached that stage yet.
Hi Jon, that is a bad thing for all those people that buy these expensive digital Leicas because they have to buy expensive new lenses too.

Erik.

Old 07-09-2017   #43
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
There really is no alternative for a modern compact 28, with exception of the Kobalux/Avenon lens maybe. But that carries a similar price today.
Well, there is always "patience" - an alternative, that saved me a lot of money over the years...

Old 07-11-2017   #44
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murphy View Post
It's a nice lens, but too expensive for what it is IMO. It was an economy lens of sorts when it came out years ago -- before Voigtlander moved to the high-end market. Lamentably, there are no inexpensive 28mm lenses in either Leica M or LTM. What is available is either expensive or very expensive, at least by the budget standards of working people. Too bad!
The alternative I used until recently was a Ricoh GR in the pocket and a 50 on my M body. The GR is cheaper than any 28 M-mount lens and arguably better than most.

Old 07-11-2017   #45
MaxElmar

If I was into 28mm lenses, this would be the one. There's a real sparkle to the images. But I find anything wider than 35mm does weird things to humans near the edge of the frame (and I often forget that when shooting), and if I want to shoot wide-open spaces or architecture, 28 is not wide enough. So I jump from 35 CS to 21 CS. I very much admire Mr. K and Cosina for making a range of modern LTM lenses - and the Head Bartender for doing maybe more than anybody to make us aware and bringing them to the US.

Still Photographically Uncool
https://www.flickr.com/photos/xenotar/

Old 07-11-2017   #46
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxElmar View Post
So I jump from 35 CS to 21 CS. I very much admire Mr. K and Cosina for making a range of modern LTM lenses - and the Head Bartender for doing maybe more than anybody to make us aware and bringing them to the US.
Well, I considered a 25mm Snapshot-Skopar as a possible alternative, when I saw the prices for this (the 28mm) lens. The 25mm is available for half that much... But somehow I like to have a 28mm - a small one.

A MS Optical Apoqualia 28mm/2.0 might also be interesting, but I don't think, I would like the image quality for my kind of pictures.

The reason, I was looking for this lens, was the obvious misconception, that it would be affordable for what it is. I guess, I was wrong, it seems to be more a collectors lens than a users lens...

If somewhen in the future I find one for a reasonable price, I buy it. But if I really need a 28mm earlier, I will probably go with a used Leica Elmarit ASPH., which is "only" about double the price than the Skopar. Sounds illogical? - Maybe, but I had the Elmarit for about two years and as seldom as I used it, it was the best 28mm I ever used, and when I used it, I loved it. It just wasn't as small as the Skopar.

Old 07-11-2017   #47
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
The alternative I used until recently was a Ricoh GR in the pocket and a 50 on my M body. The GR is cheaper than any 28 M-mount lens and arguably better than most.
That doesn't make sense to me. I'm searching for a lens, not for a camera...

As interesting as the GR is (I was thinking about buying one, but then stayed with a small Olympus E-PL6 and a 14mm/f2,5 Panasonic lens as pocket camera - great combination), I can't mount it's lens rangefinder coupled to my Leica, which is, what I want...

Old 07-11-2017   #48
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by krötenblender View Post
That doesn't make sense to me. I'm searching for a lens, not for a camera...

As interesting as the GR is (I was thinking about buying one, but then stayed with a small Olympus E-PL6 and a 14mm/f2,5 Panasonic lens as pocket camera - great combination), I can't mount it's lens rangefinder coupled to my Leica, which is, what I want...
Just saying if all the compact 28's are out of the price range. I thought it ridiculous too, to carry another camera too but it's so small it easily fit into a pocket. Never bothered by it on trips.

Old 12-19-2017   #49
Rollin

Change of plans.

Old 12-29-2017   #50
Rollin

Selling my copy of Voigtlander Color-Skopar 28mm f/3.5 LTM, black in great condition.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...2f35-ltm/cat/2

Old 01-25-2019   #51
Artingei

Hi togehter. I just received this lens which I found on a GB camera online store. Unfortunately it shows massive glue separation (or something similar, Schneideritis?) on the edge of the glass where it hits the barrel, so it won't affect IQ. The seller didn't note that, it was offered as "excellent", haha. Glass is otherwise clear and clean.

I know it will affect resell value so I would like your opinion:
a) on the current value of this lens in europe in top condition and the condition shown
b) if the shown problem is normal for older CV lenses

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-25-2019   #52
Erik van Straten

My Color-Skopar 28mm f/3.5, serial number 9240495, does NOT have this horrible glue-separation.

Erik.

Old 01-25-2019   #53
Artingei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
My Color-Skopar 28mm f/3.5, serial number 9240495, does NOT have this horrible glue-separation.

Erik.
I really can't imagine that you would mount a lens in this condition on your Leica, but thanks for your feedback.

BTW I wasn't able to find any other cv 28 3.5 with this problem on the web…

Old 01-25-2019   #54
Artingei

…but I´ve seen this quite often on other lenses from several manufacturers. I simply don't want to loose much money if I decide to sell the lens in the future. It's quite rare in EU (or it's a keeper for most people). That's why prices seem very high at the moment, between 500€ and 1000€. I paid 330€ and it seems like an okay deal, despite the separation. What do you think?

The fact that the shop lists in as "excellent" with one picture from the side doesn't really speak for the shop…

Old 01-25-2019   #55
jonmanjiro

Wow! I've seen/handled dozens of LTM Voigtlander lenses including multiple copies of the 28/3.5 and have never seen anything like that. I think at that level you would see an impact on IQ in some circumstances, when shooting into the sun for example. The lens must have been stored badly - high heat perhaps? If it was me, I'd return it and find a better copy.

Old 01-25-2019   #56
gavinlg

Definitely return it - they shouldn't look like that. I agree with Jon that it will most certainly affect IQ under certain light conditions.

Old 01-25-2019   #57
lawrence

Quote:

Erik.
Neither does mine S/N 9250372

Old 01-25-2019   #58
krötenblender

Thats a really sad condition for such a nice lens (still searching for one...). If the seller said, its in great condition, it was definitely not the truth. I would also advice to return it.

Old 01-25-2019   #59
Godfrey
somewhat colored

That's a ruined lens, and needs an expensive repair. Send it back for a refund.

I have found that the Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 performs beautifully on the Leica CL when I use the modern Summaron-M 28mm f/5.6 lens profile with it. It makes sense since that lens has a rather similar optical design. I'm going to set that lens profile on an LTM to M-mount adapter for the CL and also test it on the M-D that way, to see if that cleans up some of the color shifting.

Last July, I took the lens fitted to my M-D (sans coding) on a walk in San Francisco and posted five exposures in color and in black & white as albums:

Color ... https://flic.kr/s/aHskBn8Z4R
B&W ... https://flic.kr/s/aHsmogkwTo

Even with the funky color shifting in some circumstances, I like this lens a lot. I use it mostly with the M4-2 and B&W film, however.

G

Old 01-26-2019   #60
Artingei

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

To my surprise, someone here in Germany has just offered his Skopar in mint condition for about 500 €. I had to hit that, the bubble lens goes back to London.

Old 02-03-2019   #61
Artingei

I sent the bubbleboy back to London (is there any camera store experience thread) and got a superclean copy for around 500 € which is totally fine these days. Now I can (and will) wear it down to the brass.

orange filter, chm 400 / kentmere 400 / apx 400 @ 800 in hc-110 loaded m2

orange filter, chm 400 / kentmere 400 / apx 400 @ 800 in rodinal 1:25 (I fought the fog with contrast!) loaded m2

Old 02-03-2019   #62
Artingei

By the way... the first two were shot with the "bubble copy". I think it's noticable softer than the pictures I took with the mint version.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #63
jja

Godfrey, have you done further experiments with lens codes on the M240/M262? I have been shooting the 28mm Color Skopar on my recently acquired M-P 240. I do not see any strange color shifting and only occasionally some vignetting. I am using the manual setting on the lens menu and have the lens coded as a pre-asph Elmarit-M (v. 4?). Here is a sample photo:

JJ000597
by Juan Alonzo, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
That's a ruined lens, and needs an expensive repair. Send it back for a refund.

I have found that the Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 performs beautifully on the Leica CL when I use the modern Summaron-M 28mm f/5.6 lens profile with it. It makes sense since that lens has a rather similar optical design. I'm going to set that lens profile on an LTM to M-mount adapter for the CL and also test it on the M-D that way, to see if that cleans up some of the color shifting.

Last July, I took the lens fitted to my M-D (sans coding) on a walk in San Francisco and posted five exposures in color and in black & white as albums:

Color ... https://flic.kr/s/aHskBn8Z4R
B&W ... https://flic.kr/s/aHsmogkwTo

Even with the funky color shifting in some circumstances, I like this lens a lot. I use it mostly with the M4-2 and B&W film, however.

G

My RFF Gallery

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #64
Deardorff38

Quote:
Also because it is the only modern lens, besides the 50mm f/2.5 Color-Skopar and some other extremely expensive Leica lenses, that is made in black paint on brass, in fact to match the Leica MP when that camera appeared in about 2002.

Erik.
Stephan, As Erik said, it's a beautifully made lens & the brass mount does make a difference in the weight & handling. You can find them in fine condition most often in Japan. (i've bought a couple on Ebay). I'm just more of a 21/35 guy. I agree with Erik that the 28 f3.5 & the 50mm f2.5 are the most beautifully made Voigtlander lenses & sharp. It is substantially smaller & IMO handles much nicer than the Avenon/Kobalux which i also tried. I think it's definitely worth the effort to track one down.
mp by , on Flickr

E7FF4EED-EFE2-455F-8E26-A66656545CCD by , on Flickr

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #65
nightfly

Looking at the examples posted I think, as many things on the internet, that the "problems" with it on digital in color are exaggerated at best and probably won't effect any real world use.

I've got one I bought new when they were cheap and I've used it on my M4-P and my M9 and it's a wonderful lens. Period.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for digital, color use. I prefer the results of it on my M9 to a Ricoh GR, although I use that camera too for portability. If you want a compact and very useable 28, I'm not sure you can beat it without shelling out significantly more money for a Leica 28. I haven't used the other older screw mount lenses mentioned but I always find the ergonomics of older lenses problematic in one way or another.

The ergonomics on the VC 28 and it's somewhat but not too light aperture ring with nice grippy protrusions and the little screw in focus tab are really amazing for fast street work. Both can be manipulated with a fingertip, rather than requiring a full grip, allowing almost effortless changes.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #66
Erik van Straten

[quote=Artingei;2866611]

Great shots! I love them.

Erik.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #67
Deardorff38

Stephan, I don't ever remember seeing so many available on Ebay. I just looked 5 minutes ago. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+3.5+&_sacat=0

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #68
Erik van Straten

Most Voigtländer lenses are easily found in Japan, but we unfortunate Europeans have to pay import duties then ...

Erik.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #69
Deardorff38

Quote:
Most Voigtländer lenses are easily found in Japan, but we unfortunate Europeans have to pay import duties then ...

Erik.
True enough Erik, but when we're talking M10s and other Leica bodies, how much can the duty be on 447 euro? & is that enough to be a deal breaker?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #70
Erik van Straten

Yes, these lenses are still very low priced, the same is true for the Color-Skopar 50mm f/2.5. Grab one now, I would say.

I always wondered why Voigtländer didn't bring out a 35mm of the same mechanical and optical quality. A high quality brass black paint 35mm f/2.5 LTM lens. I really miss such a thing.

Erik.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #71
Deardorff38

Quote:
I always wondered why Voigtländer didn't bring out a 35mm of the same mechanical and optical quality. A high quality brass black paint 35mm f/2.5 LTM lens. I really miss such a thing.

Erik.
I would buy one in a heartbeat as well Erik. I'm sure it would have the similar feel & weight of the Summaron 35.

DSCN5837 by , on Flickr

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #72
Livesteamer

I just bought a 28mm f3.5 Skopar in Nikon S mount. Is it the same formula as the LTM lens? I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet. It's in great shape with the hood and caps and is very small on the Nikon SP. I know this thread is about the Voigtlander 28 but I have both Canon and Nikon 28mm f3.5 in LTM and find them to be fine optics. I got the Skopar from e bay for less than $250. Joe

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #73
besk

Same optics

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #74
jja

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
Looking at the examples posted I think, as many things on the internet, that the "problems" with it on digital in color are exaggerated at best and probably won't effect any real world use.

I've got one I bought new when they were cheap and I've used it on my M4-P and my M9 and it's a wonderful lens. Period.
Agree with all of your points, particularly the above. I have not seen any results that would prevent me from continuing to enjoy this lens. I briefly considered replacing it with a new Elmarit-M Asph., but why? The SC is only slightly slower but, as you note, optically and ergonomically solid.

My RFF Gallery

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #75
stevierose
Ann Arbor, Michigan

I shoot with mine mounted on a Minolta CLE, a wonderful, compact combination that produces beautiful photographs.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #76
shawn

Heads up... KEH currently has one listed in excellent condition, 10% off sale ends at midnight.

Shawn