Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M9 / ME

View Poll Results: How Quickly did you get your M9 Sensor replacement?
They sent it back without replacing the sensor. 0 0%
1 month 4 11.76%
2 months 1 2.94%
3 months 10 29.41%
4 months 4 11.76%
5 months 3 8.82%
6 months 7 20.59%
7 months 2 5.88%
8 months 1 2.94%
9 months 2 5.88%
10 months 0 0%
11 months 0 0%
12 months 0 0%
longer than 12 months 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

How Quickly did you get your M9 Sensor Replacement?
Old 01-20-2018   #1
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

How Quickly did you get your M9 Sensor Replacement?

Pretty much self-explanatory. The last I heard, Leica was estimating 240 days to return an M9 with a new sensor. Some are going to Germany, some are being replaced in New Jersey.

Not back yet
Old 01-20-2018   #2
jkcampbell

Not back yet

You might want to add an option of "still waiting". I sent mine to NJ in July and still don't have it back yet. Since the deadline for free replacement was August 1 I'll assume there was a glut of cameras sent in last summer. Quite possible there are more cameras waiting for the replacement than cameras that have been fixed and returned. Cheers! jc

Old 01-20-2018   #3
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Six months. November of 2015 to May of 2016.

Old 01-20-2018   #4
ptpdprinter

I started a poll like this a while back. Few people participated. I don't think members want to actually admit how long it took. It makes Leica look bad in objective terms. And we can't have that. Perhaps OP will have better luck.

Old 01-20-2018   #5
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcampbell View Post
You might want to add an option of "still waiting". I sent mine to NJ in July and still don't have it back yet. Since the deadline for free replacement was August 1 I'll assume there was a glut of cameras sent in last summer. Quite possible there are more cameras waiting for the replacement than cameras that have been fixed and returned. Cheers! jc
Yep, I'm in the "still waiting"group myself. It's been 6 months so far for me. I didn't add a 'still waiting" option because if someone were to click that today, their M9 could come back next week, and they couldn't update to show when they got it.

Old 01-20-2018   #6
DwF

My replacement took just over 6 mos for MM which take longer than M ME. I didn't like it but very happy to have it back. I think that they are doing what they can to deal with a costly (to Leica) bad situation.

David

Old 01-20-2018   #7
Brooklynguy

I sent in 2 M9s in late July just before the free sensor deadline and I got them back in November--about 4 months. Both cameras came back well adjusted and nicely packaged.

Given the apparently large number of bad sensors, reported sensor shortage, repair time and labor per camera, and nature of the product and attention to details, I think the delays are unfortunate but to be expected. Still, the frustration is undeniable. If it's any consolation, you'll get a new sensor and CLA, all on Leica's coin (and free return shipping to boot)!

Last edited by Brooklynguy : 01-20-2018 at 18:51. Reason: fix typos

Old 01-20-2018   #8
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

well, gee, I sent mine at that same time, and still waiting. Well, maybe soon . . .

I really want to try my 50mm Planar on it!

Old 01-20-2018   #9
sevres_babylone

I brought mine into a dealer in Toronto at the end of June. Given that that was just before Canadian and American National holidays, I doubt it moved before at least July 7. Got it back November 3, so I put 5 months. Should have put 4 (bad math on my part.)

Last edited by sevres_babylone : 01-20-2018 at 22:04. Reason: Oops bad counting.

Old 01-21-2018   #10
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
I started a poll like this a while back. Few people participated. I don't think members want to actually admit how long it took. It makes Leica look bad in objective terms. And we can't have that. Perhaps OP will have better luck.
Then probably an option should be added "Sensor still without problem". There are plenty of those out there.

Old 01-21-2018   #11
pyeh

My two M9s took about a month, which was in January 2017 at Leica Tokyo.
My M Monochrom also took about a month, and that was at Leica Melbourne in March or April 2017.

Old 01-21-2018   #12
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
My two M9s took about a month, which was in January 2017 at Leica Tokyo.
My M Monochrom also took about a month, and that was at Leica Melbourne in March or April 2017.
So does this point to Leica NJ as being the slow ones?

Old 01-21-2018   #13
pyeh

Bob, I think it does, but that may be because they are getting more demand. Also, in my case, I think I just got lucky in Japan with my M9s. I was visiting and took my cameras in for a sensor clean. They diagnosed The Rust and offered to take them in then and there as they had stock of the new improved sensors. As it was I had to wait a few more weeks after the cameras were discharged from hospital for a friend to bring them back home to me.
With the M9 Monochrome I sent it in on spec, and the timing worked with Leica Melbourne receiving some replacement sensors.
It's really the luck of the draw, given the production cycle of the sensors and the queue at the various service centres (are there more than four worldwide, for a reputed 40 to 50 thousand M9s sold?). Pretty hopeless hit-and-miss organisation of this giant quasi-recall though.

Old 01-21-2018   #14
rfaspen

The M9 went in late July/early Aug (can't exactly remember) just prior to the free deadline. Except for a couple emails some time back, no word and no camera. I would think not much longer? I wouldn't mind having the M9 back.

Old 01-21-2018   #15
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I won't criticise Leica because they have done what they had to do and their customer base appears to be incredibly tolerant. Nikon or Canon would be crucified if one of their flagship cameras required an average of three months to rectify a problem of this magnitude.

In an odd way it's one of the things that makes Leica such a cult item ... you have to be prepared to make sacrifices and most do so with a level of acceptance and loyalty that few products command these days.

Old 01-21-2018   #16
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I won't criticize Leica either, I just want my M9 back.

Old 01-24-2018   #17
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
In an odd way it's one of the things that makes Leica such a cult item ... you have to be prepared to make sacrifices and most do so with a level of acceptance and loyalty that few products command these days.
From what I've read in threads like this one, Leica users are tolerant of slow repair times because they have more than one body (or buy another one), so they aren't really affected.

Old 01-24-2018   #18
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I won't criticise Leica because they have done what they had to do and their customer base appears to be incredibly tolerant. Nikon or Canon would be crucified if one of their flagship cameras required an average of three months to rectify a problem of this magnitude.

Nikon and Canon flagship cameras simply don't develop problems that ask for such "sacrifices" in the first place...

Old 01-25-2018   #19
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Heh. I’m not afraid to criticize Leica NJ. But I’m the kind of fella who kicks children.

Old 01-25-2018   #20
Gregm61

My M9 took 4 months. A friend of mine sent his to NJ this past October, was quoted 24 weeks and was recently told he should have it back some time in February.

Old 01-26-2018   #21
Lss

As far as I know, there was a shortage of sensors late last year (November/December). The delivery of cameras from that time window (and as early as October) is ongoing.

Old 02-07-2018   #22
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I dropped in at Schiller's today and Stephanie said my M9 will be back by Friday. She said it could even be back tomorrow, Thursday; but Friday for sure! Let's see: From July 22 to January 22 would be 6 months, and now it is February 7, so that's another 16 days (I'm trying to figure out how many months to click in the poll). So 6 months and 16 days; or about 196 days. Leica said 240 days, so I'll get my M9 back about 6 weeks sooner than predicted. I'll wait until it's in my hands before I click on the poll, though!

Old 02-07-2018   #23
eddie con

I got my MM with a spanking new genuine leather cover too! No money out. From Singapore. But five months felt like a lifetime. It is not leaving my sight now! Not for a long while, I hope.

Old 02-07-2018   #24
kyte

Got mine replaced in 4 days. Hong Kong agent (Schmitt) had the parts in house.

Old 02-07-2018   #25
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie con View Post
I got my MM with a spanking new genuine leather cover too! No money out.
That's because they have to tear off the old cover to make the repair.

Leica NJ takes so long to make this repair because they only have one person working on the cameras. That is how much they care about customer service.

Leica NJ also uses the excuse 'waiting on parts' as a cover for the length of time before 'your' camera will be repaired. They are not waiting on parts, what they are waiting on is the one tech that they have hired to work through his back log.
If you send your camera to Leica Solms, there is no waiting on parts and you will get your camera back in a few weeks.

For people who are happy that they got a 'free' repair, mull on this. Leica kept on selling these cameras to unsuspecting owners long after they knew the sensors were defective. There is nothing free about dropping $6000 on a camera and having it break due to an existing design flaw, then having to wait 6 months for a repair.

I bought my M-E new, since sold after this debacle. I bought my M-240 used, and love that camera and buying it used was a huge discount. Rock solid. But I'll never buy another new digital Leica again after this mess.
And film Leicas? Awesome.

Old 02-07-2018   #26
pagpow

got it back yesterday, sent it in 08/03/17 -- so 6 mos

Old 02-07-2018   #27
raid
Dad Photographer

I am still waiting for my M9. Sent it to NJ in July, 2017.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

the "willing victim"
Old 02-07-2018   #28
eddie con

the "willing victim"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
That's because they have to tear off the old cover to make the repair....

For people who are happy that they got a 'free' repair, mull on this. Leica kept on selling these cameras to unsuspecting owners long after they knew the sensors were defective. There is nothing free about dropping $6000 on a camera and having it break due to an existing design flaw, then having to wait 6 months for a repair.

I bought my M-E new, since sold after this debacle. I bought my M-240 used, and love that camera and buying it used was a huge discount. Rock solid. But I'll never buy another new digital Leica again after this mess.
And film Leicas? Awesome.
I agree I wouldn't buy the monochrom for $6000. And, yup, I was aware that they have to remove the cover but I was not expecting it would be replaced with real leather. And at 40% off with the summilux 50/1.4, all brand new, plus the offer of free replacement, I was a willing victim. A happy camper!!! And, it was a delight to see the spots. But what I failed to foresee was the glut in the queue. The store pulled out their stocks of M9s shortly after two of my friends also jumped at the offer.

And, I am not letting go of my film rangefinder cameras. They will remain a classic.

Last edited by eddie con : 02-07-2018 at 19:07. Reason: just to add a point.

Old 02-09-2018   #29
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I am still waiting for my M9. Sent it to NJ in July, 2017.
I sent mine on July 22. If it comes back tomorrow, then I think you should have yours very soon as well!

Old 02-09-2018   #30
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Got it! Six months and 18 days. So I guess I should round up to 7 months when I enter my vote. I don't remember what kind of cover it had before I sent it. It came back with a vulcanite-looking cover, not necessarily brand-new looking, but not worn looking either. I guess it's the same one. Which is OK with me I'm so happy to have it back!

Old 02-09-2018   #31
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I sent mine on July 22. If it comes back tomorrow, then I think you should have yours very soon as well!
Thank you, Rob. That would be awesome.
Most likely, then I must return the M240

Old 02-09-2018   #32
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
Have you called them recently? Seems odd that someone who sent after you gets theirs back before yours. I found Leica NJ pretty helpful on the phone.

John
Good tip, John. I will call them.
edited: I just sent the Manager at NJ Leica an email about it.

Old 02-09-2018   #33
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Got it! Six months and 18 days. So I guess I should round up to 7 months when I enter my vote. I don't remember what kind of cover it had before I sent it. It came back with a vulcanite-looking cover, not necessarily brand-new looking, but not worn looking either. I guess it's the same one. Which is OK with me I'm so happy to have it back!
Good for you, Rob!

Old 03-02-2018   #34
rfaspen

Entering the 7th month. No M9 yet.

Old 03-05-2018   #35
Huss

My Nikon F6 developed an issue with the AF. I dropped it off at Nikon USA in Los Angeles last Monday afternoon. Today - 4 business days later - they called to say it was fixed and ready for pick up.

That is the difference between a company that cares about photographers, and one that cares about having pretty showrooms.

Old 03-05-2018   #36
Shadowplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Nikon and Canon flagship cameras simply don't develop problems that ask for such "sacrifices" in the first place...
Ah, guess the 1D* III didnt have years worth of autofocus problems...

Old 03-06-2018   #37
Carey M

My M9 needed a new sensor. The whole process took just over one month. This was not a goodwill service.

Old 03-06-2018   #38
strobesync

Entering 7th month. On February 1, 2018, Leica NJ wrote that they were waiting for sensors to come from Germany. They were then in the process of replacing sensors sent July. Went on to say mine should be done shortly. Still waiting 6 weeks later so I am not sure how they define "shortly".

Old 03-06-2018   #39
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey M View Post
My M9 needed a new sensor. The whole process took just over one month. This was not a goodwill service.
It is obvious that customers in Europe are treated much better than those in the USA. In Europe you get the camera sent to HQ in Wetzlar, which seems to be a professional operation.
In the USA we have to deal with the clown show in New Jersey.

Old 03-06-2018   #40
Emile de Leon

http://media.giphy.com/media/UJR3QgkMnm7tu/giphy.gif