Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica General Discussion / News / Rumors

Old 04-30-2019   #41
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Were I interested in one, which I am wholeheartedly not, I can barely afford the used M9 I have. I cling to the M9 series because I am taken with the clarity I see in the CCD images. I have a full frame CMOS camera now, I don't need the latest from Leica.

Old 04-30-2019   #42
bayernfan

Regarding the commemorative editions, it would have to have some serious significance to me. Perhaps commemorating a person or event that had a real impact on my life. I doubt such a camera will ever exist.

Regarding a purely aesthetic limited edition, it would have to be understated. Sleek, functional, and under the radar.

Old 04-30-2019   #43
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

No.........
Even though I love Leica, the camera is a tool
why would I need a ‘special edition’

Old 04-30-2019   #44
Bill Clark

No........

Old 04-30-2019   #45
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Still, it is in my opinion not suitable to do. Digital camera become outdated.

That doesn't mean they become unusable, Raid. My Olympus E-1 was made in 2003, was totally obsolete in terms of models and functionality by 2007, but even today makes lovely photographs when I use it. Who cares whether a camera is obsolete as long as it does the job you want it to?

G

Old 05-01-2019   #46
David Hughes
David Hughes

Exactly.

(This message is too short for RFF but is exactly what I wanted to say: so there... )

Old 05-01-2019   #47
Dralowid
Michael

No, I would rather spend the money on a future proof Leica that makes great pictures and whose value and reliability have a proven record...something like an original hockey stick Leica I.

Old 05-01-2019   #48
icebear

I take pictures with my MM, I take it that it is a limited edition by now.
Would any fancy bling edition version take better pictures? I don't think so.
I'll take a pass on any of these "shake my head" versions.
I taped the red dot on any of my cameras that carry one. No one needs to get any message from the camera I carry.
If they feel to they can comment on my photographs, in case I show 'em.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 05-01-2019   #49
Pablito
coco frío

That stuff turns my stomach.

Unlike caviar, or toro or uni. That's where I'd put my money, if it was limitless.

Old 05-01-2019   #50
splitimageview

Every digital Leica ever sold qualifies as such.

Old 05-01-2019   #51
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

That doesn't mean they become unusable, Raid. My Olympus E-1 was made in 2003, was totally obsolete in terms of models and functionality by 2007, but even today makes lovely photographs when I use it. Who cares whether a camera is obsolete as long as it does the job you want it to?

G
No, I never said that digital cameras become unusable. I still use old digital cameras quite a lot.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 05-01-2019   #52
aizan

I think this question would be a lot easier to answer if limited editions:

A) Usually looked good
B) Weren't shameless cash grabs

The limited editions whose design I like or that introduce new functionality are fine by me, and I'd buy them if I had the cash to burn.

Rare items, variants, and historically important cameras are more interesting and valuable to collectors, though. If I was wealthy AF, I'd be investing for real at Westlicht/Leitz Photographica Auction.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #53
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
Would you buy a limited edition digital Leica?
Yes - I bought the M-P 240 Safari in April of 2015. Regarding "shameless cash grabs," the Safari kit was actually less expensive than buying an M-P 240 and a chrome 35 Summichron ASPH would have been, which is what prompted me to upgrade from my black M240.

I have never grown tired of the olive green & chrome finish.

The limited edition M cameras are a mixed bag - some look great like the Safari cameras and the Monochrom 246 Stealth edition while some are uglier than a bag of rotten xxxxxx.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #54
zuiko85

Compared to the quantity of other well known makes, all digital Leica’s are ‘limited edition’.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #55
shimokita
白黒

At first I blew off the question...

but got to thinking about LE of other products such as watches... all watches tell time and except for complications it's mostly about aesthetics... I have a couple that I enjoy wearing.

At the end of the day I guess I wouldn't reject a LE Leica but it really depends on the kit. Film only, not interested in digital at the moment...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #56
Archiver

The limited edition film bodies don't seem to have any physical functions which distinguish themselves from their original production lines. Their differences are all cosmetic or material, like the titanium MP (gorgeous), anthracite MP (also gorgeous), Millennium M6 TTL (so lovely) and the MP-6.

Digital versions can actually have functional differences, like the unusual Cinematography version which has film simulations and cinema aspect ratio guidelines in the digital display. As I said before, material difference digital editions can be really neat, like the titanium M9 and M-P 240.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #57
David Hughes
David Hughes

A lot of people seem happy with the O series clone and its modern lens. And one of two digital limited editions turn up from time to time as silly/affordable prices.

At least the O series was limited to 2000 copies, I guess that makes it a LE...

Regards, David

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #58
giganova

The problem is the limited shelf life of digital cameras. After a few years, all you are left with is a limited-edition door stopper.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #59
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Shelf life of Digitals is only limited by the owners need to have the latest and greatest. I have an Epson R-D1 from the middle '90s that still makes wonderful image quality.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #60
giganova

6 Mpix -- you are my hero!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #61
Out to Lunch

Yes, that is a great camera. A nice tribute here: https://www.youtube.com/
watch?v=YIOk6kmYOWc&list=PLiXUulBBkNvF30sQQyTKBH5x f1tutxMJV&index=4

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #62
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
Would you buy one? And if so, which one?

Potentially yes, if only because it seems to be the only way you can buy a digital M that doesn't have that horrible red dot.

All hypothetical of course, given my bank account

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #63
kshapero
Press the Shutter

I went the opposite route. I got a stripped down used M Type 262. But I do love all those limited editions. Some of them are right purdy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #64
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycheese View Post
Yes - I bought the M-P 240 Safari in April of 2015. Regarding "shameless cash grabs," the Safari kit was actually less expensive than buying an M-P 240 and a chrome 35 Summichron ASPH would have been, which is what prompted me to upgrade from my black M240.

I have never grown tired of the olive green & chrome finish.

The limited edition M cameras are a mixed bag - some look great like the Safari cameras and the Monochrom 246 Stealth edition while some are uglier than a bag of rotten xxxxxx.

After nothing but black camera bodies ever since a Nikon D50 (damn, that’s a long time ago) I grew tired of the same body color and particularly of Leica black chrome. Bought an M10-P Safari for same price as the others and it just looks cool. Visually more appealing. There’s something to that.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #65
AndersG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
Shelf life of Digitals is only limited by the owners need to have the latest and greatest. I have an Epson R-D1 from the middle '90s that still makes wonderful image quality.
Mid 200X, more likely. I seem to recall that my Canon EOS D30 (3 mp) was introduced in 2001+/-1 year or so. I certainly bought it second-hand during spring 2003 at about 1/3 of its price as new.

OTOH, I still use what I replaced it with in 2006, a Canon EOS 30D (8mp), so I do agree with the point you make, although you are off by 10 years..

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #66
semi-ambivalent
Little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
There is nothing classical about a digital camera. I view such cameras as practical solutions.

Good take, this. How does any company promote a "classic" model while simultaneously pushing the upgrade treadmill typical of, among many things, digital cameras? "Classics" come out of an environment of 'A Lifetime of Great Photography', and saving perhaps two months of family income to purchase an M3 that your grand-daughter now uses. Digital image capture hasn't even been around long enough to be thinking of 'classic-ness'.

Old 1 Week Ago   #67
derleicaman

I've been following this topic with some interest. I conceived of and helped Leica produce the LHSA special editions since the Black Paint M6TTL. I was disappointed with the typical special editions Leica had done with the LHSA prior to the black paint cameras. I agree there is nothing "special" about engravings and body covering making a camera special, as Leica eventually did with the a la carte program. The black paint was the first baby step, with a finish Leica no longer did for regular production, even questioning why anyone would want the inferior black paint finish compared to the "superior" black chrome.
Hammertone was the next up and I wanted to do a finish that had only been done to special order for ten MD cameras. We also did a "retro" version of the 35/2 for it.
Pulled out all the stops with the MP3. I wanted to give everyone a chance to own an MP as close to the original. We did the "retro" classic 50 Lux with it, which turned out to be a hit on its own and Leica has done several versions of it since.
The recent 50 APO LHSA Special was the latest endevour, and sold out immediately after the intro.
I am very proud of how well received these specials have been, the idea to be offering something really different or something that had become unobtanium like the original Hammertone or MP camera.
We considered doing a special edition digital camera, but that did not happen for various reasons. Unfortunately unlike film cameras, digital cameras are somewhat disposable after a number of years, so not a sound basis for a limited edition.

Old 1 Week Ago   #68
35photo

Never... waste of money, I photograph I don't collect cameras.... Give me the regular production camera any day..

Old 6 Days Ago   #69
al1966
Feed Your Head

Being a tight git I would not dream of paying extra for a limited edition of a camera unless it was something like £5 more That being said I do love cameras with alternatives to the usual black leather and a nice green will always appeal but cameras are purchased to take photographs and I would not pay significant amounts more for a pretty version.

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/