21mm Super-Elmar and Zeiss's offerings
Old 10-19-2013   #1
heaverstar

21mm Super-Elmar and Zeiss's offerings

Hi everyone,
This is not a 'which is sharper' request and speed is not issue here, but I'm looking to upgrade my 21mm CV with one of the above.

Currently I am shooting a project that I've called Empty Spaces and it involves taking photo's within derelict buildings with my M9p & 21mm CV.

The sample of CV lens I have is a little soft in the corners (although I do think its amazing considering what I paid for it), but what I'm struggling with is barrel distortion.

I know you can correct barrel distortion in PS, but I have found myself backed up against a wall and getting everything within a shot (just about!) and getting home and loosing the edges of the photo once its corrected.

Now, the immediate thought would be to go wider, but I've played with the Zeiss 18mm and it was just a bit too wide for my liking.

What is the barrel distortion like for these three lenses? I'm not very good with lens charts, so if someone could point out the differences please.

Am I correct in thinking that the Zeiss 4.5 would have the least, very shortly followed by the S-E, and the Zeiss 2.8 would be similar to my CV?

Lastly, I know 21mm is not the exact focal length of these lenses, but what is, and would the small focal difference make any difference.

Many Thanks
Mark

PS, I plan to use Corner Fix if I go with the Zeiss 4.5

Old 10-19-2013   #2
heaverstar

Sorry, I've just clicked to put this post in the wrong area, could one of the Mod's move it into the correct area.

Sorry again!

Old 10-20-2013   #3
Richard G

The 21 4.5 is dead straight. It will fringe in colour if you are shooting colour, but I haven't had a lot of shots where that has mattered to me. That is fixable in post too. I have mine coded as a Leica 21 2.8 non-asph and that seems to do well for it and the 18 from the colour fringing point of view, better with the 18 in fact. I don't know if the SE is sharper in the corners. I have no complaints on that score with the ZM even at 4.5 or 5.6.

Read Tom A' post on the ZM 21 4.5 in this thread:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=129589

He is a big fan of this C Biogon, clearly, and with justification. Have a look at some of his shots. If you want to search more use Google. By putting in 4.5 Zeiss or C Biogon 4.5 and then site:rangefinderforum.com you will find information on RFF only.

Old 10-20-2013   #4
mfogiel

If the speed is not an issue, then it is a no brainer. The C Biogon 21 hass virtually no distortion - i.e. the distortion is smaller than that of Biogon 38 for Hasselblad ( which is 0.3%) - from the specs, I see 0 distortion in the center and at the edge, and about 0.2% around 15mm, it means, that if you blow up your image to a size of 66cmx100cm, you might just see 2mm distortion somewhere near the corner. It is much more likely that you will create distortion by not having your camera perfectly vertical.
http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B8B6F/EmbedTitelIntern/CBiogon4.5_21mm_ZM_e/$File/CBiogon4.5_21_ZM_e.pdf

Old 10-20-2013   #5
heaverstar

I think the 21mm 4.5 ZM is the route for me to take. Just wanted to check no alternatives would suit the bill more.

Trouble is, finding a second hand one, as they don't often crop up often.....Guess they're keepers!

Old 10-20-2013   #6
Turtle

I've heard the red edge/colour shifts are so severe with this lens it is a 'no-goer' on the M9. Can anyone comment on this, because its a potential deal breaker for heaverstar if its as bad as some say?

Old 10-20-2013   #7
woollybandit

The colour shift on the 21mm/4.5 on the M9 is well documented. I can confirm there is no such fringing from the Zeiss 21mm/2.8 on my M9-P

Old 10-20-2013   #8
heaverstar

Many thanks for all your replies. I've been reading a little and have found threads where the colour shift is documented, but none saying that it couldn't be fixed with corner fix.

Has anyone else read anything different or has this lens on the M9/9P to confirm?

Old 10-31-2013   #9
35mmdelux
#Represent

You want a razor sharp lens and you're going to shoot handheld? Hell at this rate use the 21 VC, stop it down to f11 on a tripod open up the edges...