Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Right-hand focus cam on Mamiya C330
Old 01-27-2017   #1
mcf

Right-hand focus cam on Mamiya C330

I've recently acquired a Mamiya C330s. The seller replaced the right-hand focus wheel with a focus lock wheel. I suspect this was because they lost/broke the original focus wheel and replaced it with a locking wheel (am I being cynical!?)

Anyway, does anyone have experience of this? Any easy way to change it back?

Thanks

Old 01-27-2017   #2
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

A focus lock wheel? That is, the lever-lock wheel of a RB/RZ67? That would be a period upgrade - would you really want to remove it? Or did he simply screw some misfitted knob into the place of the lost original, which thanks to its poor fit will lock when tightened?

Old 01-27-2017   #3
mcf

Hmm, I don't know anything about the other Mamiya MF bodies, so, I guess it could be a level-lock wheel from one of them. I only want to remove it because I actually found focusing more natural on the right-hand side. I've attached 2 x images of it. What do you think?

http://imgur.com/a/mE6iQ

Old 01-27-2017   #4
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Nope, that is not from a RZ/RB.

Old 01-28-2017   #5
summar

Hey mcf -- I'm not sure if this is the kind of device you're referring to, but my C330s has a lever-lock beneath the right-hand focus knob (seen from the front of the camera). Moved clockwise = unlocked, counterclockwise = locked. Looks stock to me. I like it for extreme close-ups, also because the tension on the focus wheels can be adjusted as desired and the camera front can be locked when the camera is not in use.

Old 01-28-2017   #6
summar

Sorry mcf, I neglected to look at your attached photo. That knob is certainly not stock. I assume it locks when the blue part is pushed in and the focus wheel is either locked or unlocked, not adjustable. A different story, looks like a PITA.

Old 01-28-2017   #7
mcf

Quote:
Originally Posted by summar View Post
Sorry mcf, I neglected to look at your attached photo. That knob is certainly not stock. I assume it locks when the blue part is pushed in and the focus wheel is either locked or unlocked, not adjustable. A different story, looks like a PITA.
I suspect the blue part is an ad hoc part that happened to fit. However, the wheel does work the same way you described in your first post. It does have some benefits, as you detailed. I'm willing to live with it until I can be bothered to get it looked at or upgrade to a copy that is built as intended.

Old 01-29-2017   #8
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf View Post
I suspect the blue part is an ad hoc part that happened to fit. However, the wheel does work the same way you described in your first post.
The original Pro/S lock lever seems to be missing. And that alien knob probably goes too deep, and jams when tightened.

Old 01-29-2017   #9
mcf

There's a lever lock on the left hand wheel, which seems superfluous when the right wheel can be used to lock instead.