Anyone using 4Gb SD cards in their M8?
Old 01-23-2007   #1
Andy Aitken
Registered Loser

Anyone using 4Gb SD cards in their M8?

Well, I picked up a nice black M8 today, much to my delight and surprise. I only went in to ask how far down the list I was and got lucky .

My question is this: Is anyone successfully using any SD cards that are NOT on Leica's recommended list? I'm especially curious about the 4Gb cards like the Apacer 150x 4Gb which I can get for a good price. I presume they are OK and Leica just didn't update their list yet but I'd rather be sure before I buy.

Thanks.

PS. Still trying not to think about how much money I just blew!

Old 01-23-2007   #2
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Patriot Memory, 4GB. Won't break the bank, and they're fast; it doesn't say how much, but it's fast enough.

I don't think you'll be able to find that outside the U.S., but you'll probably be able to find ATP. I have a 2GB ATP card and it's very good and very fast (80x).

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 01-23-2007   #3
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

I don't know much about SD cards, but when I was using alot of CF cards the rule of thumb was that was NOT the place to save money. (You just bought an M8 after all - why put cheap, possibly unrealiable media in it).

I don't recognize the brands mentioned thus far - but that doesn't mean much. I just don't recommend skimping on good media. It's not worth loosing a shoot's worth of images because of dodgy media to save $40

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 01-23-2007   #4
pundit

I am using QMemory 4GB 150x card since picking up my M8 with no issues so far.

Don't look back; don't look forward; just look around.

Old 01-23-2007   #5
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_designer
I don't recognize the brands mentioned thus far - but that doesn't mean much. I just don't recommend skimping on good media. It's not worth loosing a shoot's worth of images because of dodgy media to save $40
You said it: not recognizing the brands doesn't mean much. I've used ATP and Patriot Memory for about four years now, including my computers (notice the plural).

I've had three Lexar and one SanDisk cards die on me. I've only kept the ones I have just because they were the "super-duper" grade and they've proven themselves worthy, but ever since then, I've realized that you're paying for the name when it comes to memory. You have to do your research. Mine's paid off.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 01-23-2007   #6
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel M.A.
You said it: not recognizing the brands doesn't mean much. I've used ATP and Patriot Memory for about four years now, including my computers (notice the plural).

I've had three Lexar and one SanDisk cards die on me. I've only kept the ones I have just because they were the "super-duper" grade and they've proven themselves worthy, but ever since then, I've realized that you're paying for the name when it comes to memory. You have to do your research. Mine's paid off.
Yup - research is the key - my point was exactly what you picked up on. Buy quality media. Not just a bargain, and certainly not just because of a name brand.

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 01-23-2007   #7
Mark D

I am using Transcend 4GB 150x SD cards. I have two and so far they have worked perfectly.

Old 01-24-2007   #8
Andy Aitken
Registered Loser

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the M8 will work fine with 4Gb cards not on their list then. Probably Leica are being conservative and only listing cards the've actually tested.

I'll have a crack at the Apacer 150x 4Gb (80euro) - the 1Gb one I've got works fine and the place I buy from have a money back policy anyway.

I was surprised the M8 didn't come with any SD card at all - the demo one had a Leica 64Mb one that was good for 3(!) pictures.

memory card
Old 01-24-2007   #9
sps

memory card

Are any of these SDHC?