Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

New (to Me) 1950 Zorki, and a PITA Problem!
Old 07-01-2019   #1
Glen851

New (to Me) 1950 Zorki, and a PITA Problem!

Hey everyone. I just received a really nice Zorki serial number 527xx dates from 1950. It was overhauled complete with new shutter curtains. The camera and lens are really clean and everything seems to work great, EXCEPT......
The standard, modern Kodak and Ilford film cassettes are a PITA to load and remove! I had this same problem with my 1953 FED 1g. I had to carefully file the camera's inside film chamber to get the cassette to fit.
On this Zorki, once I was able to press (force!) The cassette in, and finally engage the rewind and fit, I needed pliers to remove it, and in the process, careful as I was, I ended up ruining the cassette and film!

Other than carefully filing, and avoiding having the metal filings invade the shutter mechanism, does anyone have a more "practical and/or elegant solution?

In all my searches regarding these older, bottom loading cameras, I haven't read of this problem.

Thanks for any comments, Glen
Kiev 4a
Zorki 1-1950
Zorki 4-1958
Voigtlander Vito B
Konica Auto S2
Zeiss 521/16
Kodak Duo 620
Nikon Ftn
Olympus Om1
Fujica ST801
Fuji X-Pro 1 (2)
Leica D-Lux 109
Panasonic LF-1

Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at Change!

Old 07-01-2019   #2
mpaniagua

umm I've used Zorki and Zorki C camearas and haven't had this problem. Not sure if cameras where modified before I got them but have been using regular Ilford and Kodak cassetes (as well as black plastic re loadable ones). Had to remove bottom plate and hit a little against my palm so film would drop, but nothing serious, mostly for convenience.

Had you tried with soviet cassettes?

Regards

Marcelo

Old 07-01-2019   #3
mpaniagua

Also, be sure to cut the film lead properly. I had that issue on my firs Zorky and film cassette got stuck (film lead was too short). It should be aroun 10cm (perhaps a bit shorter).

Regards

Marcelo

Old 07-01-2019   #4
Glen851

Thanks Marcelo. I am aware of the proper way to cut and load the Barnack style camera. I bought one of the Leica O series, with the little portrait emblem on the back. Loved the camera, hated having to cover the lens to wind the shutter! Sold it a few years ago. I much prefer these cameras, except for this problem!
Kiev 4a
Zorki 1-1950
Zorki 4-1958
Voigtlander Vito B
Konica Auto S2
Zeiss 521/16
Kodak Duo 620
Nikon Ftn
Olympus Om1
Fujica ST801
Fuji X-Pro 1 (2)
Leica D-Lux 109
Panasonic LF-1

Old 07-01-2019   #5
Steve M.

You might try looking into the canister area w/ a strong light to see if anything is pushed in or otherwise obstructing things. I had an early Zorki bottom loader that Oleg had put strap lugs on, and the lugs hit the film canister on the camera internally where the back of the lugs protruded inside the film chamber. Never could get that camera sorted out.

Old 07-09-2019   #6
Glen851

Well after 15 minutes with a fine half-round needle file, carefully removing metal from the edge which obstructed/retained the film cassette's lip, I have a nice workable camera!
Kiev 4a
Zorki 1-1950
Zorki 4-1958
Voigtlander Vito B
Konica Auto S2
Zeiss 521/16
Kodak Duo 620
Nikon Ftn
Olympus Om1
Fujica ST801
Fuji X-Pro 1 (2)
Leica D-Lux 109
Panasonic LF-1