Selling my M3. Advice please
Old 01-10-2018   #1
mkvrnn

Selling my M3. Advice please

The time has come to part with my M3. I had wanted one since I first became aware of them in 1963, and 4 years ago I finally bought one. But the time has come to start some serious decluttering, and my camera collection is near the top of the list.

The camera is a late model M3, serial number 11118--. and has its original 1.4 Summilux lens.
I know of its history since new, although it isn't documented, and I'm the third owner.

Both camera and lens are in near perfect cosmetic condition, but the shutter speeds are unreliable.

My question is how should I go about selling it? Should I have the shutter serviced first, and if so where? I live in Warwickshire, England. And should I sell the camera and lens together? It would seem a shame to split them.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Old 01-10-2018   #2
Gregm61

You're asking a lot of questions that are a matter strictly of personal preference. Sell it as-is and expect quite a bit less than you'd get if it was working perfectly, but it would cost a little bit of money to get the camera fully serviced, which could/probably would include a lot more than just shutter speeds.

Unless the lens has been serviced recently, the chances of it being haze/fog free are extremely low, which will affect value too.

Sounds like you need to find someone who knows what they're looking at when evaluating this type equipment and can give you an estimate of the amount you can legitimately expect to receive for what you actually have. Too many question marks based on what's here at the moment.

Old 01-10-2018   #3
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

The current wisdom about just about any collectable, and film cameras are just that, is to do the repair if you are going to keep and use it.
Having it repaired it will help to sell at a higher price, but you will have a net loss on the money spent to repair.

Old 01-10-2018   #4
capitalK
Warrior Poet :P

Knowing the history of it from day one is great. Maybe put some feelers out there to other people that might be connected to it in an effort to 'keep it in the family'?

They may not go for it, but may appreciate being given right of first refusal.

Old 01-10-2018   #5
kurisu27

My advice, and this is just personal experience, don't sell it! Never regretted anything like selling my M3...
An M3 won't break the bank and especially with such a history as yours, that's great man.

Old 01-11-2018   #6
John Lawrence

If you're intent on selling, then it may be helpful to speak to both Aperture and Richard Caplan in London:

http://www.apertureuk.com/
http://www.richardcaplan.co.uk/

Both are very friendly, have fast repair services for Leica cameras (one in house), and I know that Richard Caplan often sell Leica cameras and lenses together rather than splitting them.

John

Old 01-12-2018   #7
LChanyungco

is the paint in the shutter speed knob faded ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkvrnn View Post
Both camera and lens are in near perfect cosmetic condition, but the shutter speeds are unreliable.

Old 01-12-2018   #8
Huss

Don't get it serviced, just sell it as needing shutter adjustment. You will not get your money back from paying for the CLA (service - Clean,Lube, Adjust). Most Leicas (and other cameras too) that the sellers claim have had CLAs never actually have.
I bought an M4-2 from this site where I fell for that claim. I had to get it serviced myself when I got it.

Old 01-12-2018   #9
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurisu27 View Post
My advice, and this is just personal experience, don't sell it! Never regretted anything like selling my M3...
An M3 won't break the bank and especially with such a history as yours, that's great man.
That's my reaction as well. I would put it away until spring and see if you still feel like selling it. If so, put it away until summer.

Old 01-12-2018   #10
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurisu27 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by his history. He first saw one in 1963. Then bought one 4 years ago. 51 years later. It's not like he bought it in 1963.
He could always buy another one in the future, they are plentiful.

Old 01-12-2018   #11
Deklari

Quote:

My question is how should I go about selling it? Should I have the shutter serviced first, and if so where? I live in Warwickshire, England. And should I sell the camera and lens together? It would seem a shame to split them.

Anyone want to buy a good camera for lower price. Many good M3's was available for sale.. question for what price? If you plane sale it fast, sale it for "lower" price as "for repair only". Split body and lens, usually you will get better price.

Old 01-13-2018   #12
nobbylon

Split and sell as is.

Old 01-14-2018   #13
kurisu27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by his history. He first saw one in 1963. Then bought one 4 years ago. 51 years later. It's not like he bought it in 1963.
He could always buy another one in the future, they are plentiful.
Fair point, maybe my formulation was a bit of.
What I meant is just that mkvrnn mentioned he knows the history of the camera since new. Of course that's never a deal breaker and you're completely right, they are plenty. Still, I thought it is a nice touch at least.

Old 01-14-2018   #14
jsrockit

If you are looking to get the most money... sell the body and lens separately and just say the speeds are off. Leica fans love getting CLAs on their Leica and won't even think about this as a big deal. They aren't off by much I'd think and not all of the speeds are bad probably. If you are selling it, you don't love it that much. The lens and the body together means nothing to someone who only wants one or the other. The history is no big deal either... I think you may have thought they would get more money based on this info, but they will not. The buyer COULD appreciate the story, but who knows.

Old 01-14-2018   #15
roscoetuff

If you sell it yourself, do as advised and disclose but don't repair: Let the buyer pay for CLA after, but accept less accordingly. Condition for most 0-10 ratings focuses on outward cosmetics. CLA can run between $300 and $700 depending on whether glass windows, outter cloth, meter, etc. are subject to repair or replacement. Yes, Leica folks (like me) will want to get a CLA. Like kitchens in a home, new owner's spec for CLA may be more or less comprehensive than your spec would be. "CLA to suit". Fair pricing will let you sell quickly - especially if you discount a smidgen for the fact that you are not a dealer... and there are pros and cons on that, but less market confidence in many (but not all) cases. There is also a discount for whether or not you accept returns after 14 to 30 days. I generally do not... I want whatever it is I'm selling gone, and discount accordingly. But if you're not using it and have your eye on some new piece of eye candy, then it's found money. If you then decide it's not enough found money... then keep it.

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer
“There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” Ansel Adams

Old 01-14-2018   #16
DanskDynamit

I always service the cameras I sell, I don't want my buyers to be angry or have any troubles afterwards. You really don't lose any money because (I guess) you will add the cost of the CLA to the final selling price.

Old 01-14-2018   #17
Peter Wijninga

Your best bet...selling it within the EU before Brexit.

Old 01-14-2018   #18
Dralowid
Michael

Take some pictures of it, send them to Red Dot cameras in London and ask their advice. They can get it sorted. Either straight sale or commission. When on commission it is of course in their interests to get as high a price as poss.

www.reddotcameras.co.uk

Over the years they have looked after me well, no complaints at all.

Old 02-09-2018   #19
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
The time has come to part with my M3. I had wanted one since I first became aware of them in 1963, and 4 years ago I finally bought one. But the time has come to start some serious decluttering, and my camera collection is near the top of the list.

The camera is a late model M3, serial number 11118--. and has its original 1.4 Summilux lens.
I know of its history since new, although it isn't documented, and I'm the third owner.

If were you I would accurately describe the camera, put it on a forum and sell "as is". You start mucking around with having CLA and then claim it is in perfect working condition and that comes back to bite you when something is really not quite right in the mind of the buyer.

One other thing, I don't really understand why you are dumping it - at least no good reason is given. Perhaps you don't really want to sell it and putting it in perfect condition is less about the sale price, more about making an heirloom. Why not keep the camera and will it someone in the family?

Old 02-09-2018   #20
splitimageview

Having sold lots of Ms, I’d sell it in perfect operating order, assuming it is in near perfect cosmetic condition as described here.

Condition is everything with Leica values. Buyers will pay top price for top tier gear; they will discount heavily otherwise.

Provide proof of service.

Talk to Alan or James at cameraworks-uk.com. They are unsurpassed with service and offer a long warranty - 12 months, and it’s transferable. This eliminates any post-sale responsibility on your part if something fails later.

Have them inspect the lens too.

Old 02-09-2018   #21
Range-rover

If the shutter is really off, I would try to get it fixed or when you sell it mention
to inquiring buyer's that the shutter has that problem. I've sold a lot of stuff and
if you have other camera's that you like more sell it. I've had a M3 my first Leica
and sold it for a M6 which I liked more, don't get me wrong they're beautiful camera's
but sometimes there is something else that comes along that.

Old 02-09-2018   #22
ReeRay

As a recent buyer of an M3 I'll add my slant. My prime requirement was a recently (proven) CLA, via a recognised technician, and with no damage and all working correctly. I searched for some time and eventually found such as camera which I probably paid over the odds for. The comfort of the full service was the deal maker knowing I was to receive a camera that was fault free and immediately usable.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-09-2018   #23
d_c

I second approaching someone like reddotcameras and getting an opinion. They can sell it on your behalf on commission for 20% of the ticket price, so you might want to try that first and see how it goes before you get any servicing done. I suspect you won't have a problem shifting both lens and camera as is, particularly if the cosmetic condition is good. I would also suggest selling the lens and camera is probably best done separately.

Old 02-10-2018   #24
leicapixie

Shutter could be "off" from non-use.
A M3 is Leica's best camera ever..
All cameras that followed were less in quality.
Yes more useless features, extra frames etc.
I know the fashion for wide angle lenses as best.
My M3 in pro work and now my retirement is 51 years in service.
It has had many actual needed repairs and services.
Selling is easy, but what can you buy of equal quality.
The lens can be used on a digital camera..
Film available, scanning and developing not rocket science.
I bought/traded for an M6 TTL, still prefer ziggy (M3).

Old 02-10-2018   #25
Erik van Straten

As Leicapixie says, the best Leica ever. Don't sell.

Erik.