Old 12-14-2018   #81
Platinum RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
11 could be an "unlucky number" in some horoscope?
Hotels often skip the 13th floor. Why?
The design is clickless and uneven space between the aperture marks, they just do not have space to put 11 on the ring.

Old 12-14-2018   #82
raid
Dad Photographer

This is very possible too.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-28-2018   #83
Bashir Lunat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I would buy this in a second if it didn't have that ring flare. I hate it. And I'm a 7A fan.
I hope they bring out a revised version.

When Leica first released the $8ooo 50 APO Summicron, it too had flare issues...
Hamish Gill (35mmc) updates his website :
Qoute:

Update – 14/12/18

The version with the flare is now discontinued – only 100 were made, so if you have one, lucky you (in my opinion).

Old 01-23-2019   #84
DanskDynamit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMatthew View Post
I saw some reviews that say it flares terribly. I think that would get annoying. But... for $360.. why not.
I've heard all new lenses have been corrected on the flare problem by now.

Old 01-23-2019   #85
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum RF View Post
The design is clickless and uneven space between the aperture marks, they just do not have space to put 11 on the ring.
The lens I got to handle had click aperture ring. I do think the 50/1.1 has a clickless aperture ring...

I'm still perplexed about the missing 11. If I recall correctly, there was no detent/click between the 8 and 16 when turning the aperture ring. I could be remembering wrong... but I don't think so.

Any more guesses?

The 7artisans 28mm f1.4 lens in M mount
Old 01-27-2019   #86
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

The 7artisans 28mm f1.4 lens in M mount

It looks like this Chinese company has another winner on their hands, while not as low priced as their previous lenses, it still is a bargain in the M lens world for fast wide lenses.

https://fiftyasa.wordpress.com/2018/...8mm-f1-4-asph/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cQbTbu43aM

Old 01-27-2019   #87
raid
Dad Photographer

What is the cost?

Old 01-27-2019   #88
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Raid, the cost is around 480 USD for you lucky American buyers.

Anywhere else (like Canada, Australia or Europe) it would be the usual arm and a leg.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...4_leica_m.html

Old 01-27-2019   #89
santino
eXpect me

Good news. Competition in M mount is always a good thing and the price is nice.

Old 01-27-2019   #90
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
Raid, the cost is around 480 USD for you lucky American buyers.

Anywhere else (like Canada, Australia or Europe) it would be the usual arm and a leg.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...4_leica_m.html
Thanks. This is very manageable.

Old 01-27-2019   #91
Archlich

Costs around US$500 in China. Interestingly they're at the same time offering a "FE Plus" variant, claimed to be optimized for better corner performance adapted to Sony at the same price.

Old 01-28-2019   #92
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
Found it for 429€ here in Germany, which is currently about 490$ US. So... Not so unfair.

Old 01-28-2019   #93
raid
Dad Photographer

Do the 429 Euro include VAT?

Old 01-28-2019   #94
krötenblender

Yes, and shipping.

Old 01-28-2019   #95
thafred
silver addict

Unhappy

Ordered from amazon. Due on the 11th December... Still waiting for ng.

My Flickr gallery

photographer at www.seconds2real.com

Old 04-03-2019   #96
chambrenoire

Some snaps from yesterday with the 7Artisans 28/1.4 on the M8.

@ f/8

@ f/8

Yours truly @1.4

Old 04-17-2019   #97
chambrenoire

It actually works pretty great on the CLE too, with Ilford Pan F Plus 50

Untitled by Mattia Marchi, on Flickr

Old 06-07-2019   #98
Alex1416

This lens is an incredible performer. It is probably one of the best bangs for your buck currently on M mount lenses. Wide open it gives nice smooth bokeh, its sharp, and with no glow. And the build quality is excellent as well. It feels solid and expensive. Not plasticky and cheap. I was lucky to get the lens discounted on ebay for only $435 shipped. I will try to post some images on Flickr so that i can post them here.

Old 06-07-2019   #99
capitalK
Warrior Poet :P

I bought it shortly after buying a M8, which unfortunately went in for repair and is probably not coming back due to lack of parts. Luckily it was under store warranty and they will be refunding me.

I only got a chance to take a few photos with it.

First impressions: it's big. Really big for a rangefinder lens. There are probably better choices as far as handling is concerned, unless you need the f/1.4.

Unfortunately I don't have any other Leica camera with a 28mm frameline, so I will have to buy an adapter for my Sony A7 II or sell it. I have a 28mm viewfinder and can use it on my M3, but that's probably not practical.

Old 08-08-2019   #100
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1416 View Post
..Wide open it gives nice smooth bokeh, its sharp, and with no glow.
Interesting, mine definitely has lots of glow at 1.4.

Old 08-09-2019   #101
Ricoh

Quote:
Interesting, mine definitely has lots of glow at 1.4.
I'm really interested in this lens. Would it be possible to post a few examples of the 'glow' at 1.4? I very much like to see and be able to induce this effect.

Old 08-09-2019   #102
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

(Coming to this thread late) I just had a look at the youtube video that xayraa linked back in January. The images shown there look pretty average to my eye. If those acurately represent what this lens can do, I think I'd opt for a used Voigtlander 28/2 instead.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 08-09-2019   #103
presspass
filmshooter

Anyone know if there is a hood that fits and works with this lens? It does not seem to ship with one. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2019   #104
Ricoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspass View Post
Anyone know if there is a hood that fits and works with this lens? It does not seem to ship with one. Thanks.
Check out eBay

Old 08-09-2019   #105
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Check out eBay
Yep I have the really nice metal one made by 7Artisans just for it. Comes with its own lens cap, and has a cut out for the VF. $36 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7artisans-L...7468%7Ciid%3A1

Old 08-09-2019   #106
Huss

Quote:
I'm really interested in this lens. Would it be possible to post a few examples of the 'glow' at 1.4? I very much like to see and be able to induce this effect.
I seem to stand corrected.. I just got the lens yesterday and was chimping in the evening looking at some snaps I took around my place. Perhaps my eyes were blurry (or i need to look further into this)..
But I just took this quick shot in lighting conditions designed to tax the lens - heavy backlighting, at 1.4.
Of note the lens also had a Hoya HMC UV filter in place. W/O it I'm sure it would perform better. But I am very impressed as is.

This is straight from RAW/DNG no lens profiles applied.

Old 08-10-2019   #107
Ricoh

Quote:
I seem to stand corrected.. I just got the lens yesterday and was chimping in the evening looking at some snaps I took around my place. Perhaps my eyes were blurry (or i need to look further into this)..
But I just took this quick shot in lighting conditions designed to tax the lens - heavy backlighting, at 1.4.
Of note the lens also had a Hoya HMC UV filter in place. W/O it I'm sure it would perform better. But I am very impressed as is.
Thank you for the quick reply. I'm so tempted by the output I've seen and the many reviews. Rather unique I believe is the ability to correct back focus by adjustment of the helicoid (I'm not sure having read this http://m.7artisans.com/en/nd.jsp?id=123 whether front focus is also adjustable. It also mentions a cam (on the lens?), I always thought the cam was in the camera not the lens).
Yes that's the lens hood I saw on eBay, looking at the pics it looks nicely done at an affordable price.

Old 08-10-2019   #108
Huss

Quote:
Thank you for the quick reply. I'm so tempted by the output I've seen and the many reviews. Rather unique I believe is the ability to correct back focus by adjustment of the helicoid (I'm not sure having read this http://m.7artisans.com/en/nd.jsp?id=123 whether front focus is also adjustable. It also mentions a cam (on the lens?), I always thought the cam was in the camera not the lens).
Yes that's the lens hood I saw on eBay, looking at the pics it looks nicely done at an affordable price.
Yes you can adjust the focus back or front. Mine back focussed a lot (I bought it used and who knows what the previous owner did?), but it took about 10 minutes with the supplied screwdriver to fix that. You really need a digital Leica M to take care of that, as you can immediately see the effect (LiveVie is even better eg on an M240). I could not imagine doing this on a film M, as you'd shoot a roll, wait to get it developed, see what happened, rinse, repeat... !
It is the rf ramp that is moved on the lens. Really easy and simple.

Old 08-10-2019   #109
Huss

This is another test shot I took of Pepe sunbathing.. At f4 - full size then 1:1 crop so you can see this lens delivers. I am really looking forward to using it for actual photography!

Old 08-10-2019   #110
Ricoh

Quote:
Yes you can adjust the focus back or front. Mine back focussed a lot (I bought it used and who knows what the previous owner did?), but it took about 10 minutes with the supplied screwdriver to fix that. You really need a digital Leica M to take care of that, as you can immediately see the effect (LiveVie is even better eg on an M240). I could not imagine doing this on a film M, as you'd shoot a roll, wait to get it developed, see what happened, rinse, repeat... !
It is the rf ramp that is moved on the lens. Really easy and simple.
Thanks Huss, and I've just watched the procedure on YouTube. Must say I'm a bit baffled how the same 'ramp' section can be adjusted twice, at minimum focus and at infinity, but without seeing an exploded diagram or the mechanism itself, I'll just take it that it works, and indeed you have done it yourself at min.

Oh why don't the likes of Leica, Zeiss and Voigtlander offer the same adjustment opportunities. Would make life a lot easier, instead of having to send the lens to a repair tech (assuming the camera is within spec.).

Like yourself I have the M240 which helps a lot. For film users a sheet of ground glass of appropriate size across the film rails sort of does the same thing, but I guess you'd need to dim the lights and illuminate the target to get sensible contrast on the glass.

Incidentally, are DJ Optical and 7Artisans part and parcel of the same outfit (just guessing here perhaps 7A are the designers and DJ-Optical make them). Nothing to do with DJI, but again I'm guessing.

Old 08-10-2019   #111
Ricoh

Quote:
This is another test shot I took of Pepe sunbathing.. At f4 - full size then 1:1 crop so you can see this lens delivers. I am really looking forward to using it for actual photography!
Wow that's really good, Huss, ���� sure you're well pleased.

I'm thinking already what I could do with the lens fully open at 1.4 - has got the brain racing!

Old 08-10-2019   #112
Huss

Quote:
Thanks Huss, and I've just watched the procedure on YouTube. Must say I'm a bit baffled how the same 'ramp' section can be adjusted twice, at minimum focus and at infinity, but without seeing an exploded diagram or the mechanism itself, I'll just take it that it works, and indeed you have done it yourself at min.
Yeah I don't understand that either. It's only one ramp that is being adjusted so how can it be adjusted for close and infinity?
I didn't bother adjusting it for infinity (on any of my 7A lenses), just wide open at close distances (about 1.5 meters). With all of them they now nail focus no matter at what distance I focus.
But... they all focus pass infinity if I rely on the hard infinity stop. So I don't, I always make sure to use the RF patch to determine focus.

Old 08-11-2019   #113
Huss

The reason I bought it - 1.4 at night, handheld. I also have the Elmarit Asph 28 2.8, which costs about 6 times as much, and I could not have made this shot with that lens.

Leica M240, 7Artisans 28 1.4

Old 08-16-2019   #114
Ricoh

My 'new to me' but second-hand 7A 28mm f1.4 arrived today. Initial thoughts: fantastic build quality, and testing on my M240 seems to show good ramp to RF coordination - but thats only based on chimping so far as its only a short while since the delivery man.

I saved approx 30% against what I already thought was a good price for a lens new in box, plus it came with a screw-in lens hood. Happy days!

Old 08-20-2019   #115
Ricoh

7A 28/f1.4 at 1.4, M240

At the National Trust by -Steve Ricoh-

Old 08-20-2019   #116
Ricoh

7A 28/f1.4 at 1.4, M240

View from the window by -Steve Ricoh-

Old 08-20-2019   #117
IEDEI

for the price----this is just such a cool lens.

I mean if the Leica equivalent was say, $2500 then $500 for this lens wouldn't be as big of a deal but the fact is the Leica variant is $5k+ almost always which makes this a total bargain for the photographing adventurer.

Considering getting one....

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #118
Ricoh

A review from a contributor to the thephoblographer. I'd agree it can be somewhat soft wide open [also a little on the large side, blocking the viewfinder, especially so with the 7A rectangular lens hood] but overall I find the lens (at least the copy in my possession) quite adequate taking into account the asking price.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/page/3/