Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Old 01-16-2011   #41
Mephiloco

Lens Hood? I've not needed a lens hood on any currently manufactured modern digital lens. My 17-50/2.8 came with one but is very very rarely used, I doubt that the X100 will have flare problems to warrant a hood

Old 01-16-2011   #42
NickTrop

I'm not buying one but I don't think this price is out of line when one considers that the lens is a 23mm F2. Quick check shows the Sony 24/2 goes for $1200. Good primes this wide and this fast are always pricey. As was the case with the fixed lens RFs from yesteryear that put nicely spec'd glass on their FLRF offerings - "the lens is worth the cost alone..." That was always the deal with fixed lens rangefinders, traditionally... Great glass at a price that beat the pants off similarly spec'd interchangeable lens cameras - be it rangefinder or SLR.

So, please remind these knuckleheads who are balking at the price that such spec'd primes are rare to begin with, and using the Sony "SAL" as an example go for about the same cost as the X100 - camera and body...

Sony SAL-24F20Z 24mm f/2.0 A-mount Wide Angle Lens by Sony
Buy new: $1,249.00
AMAZON

Old 01-16-2011   #43
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeye View Post

PS - I would have bought the used SWC that just went for the same price in the classifieds.
But see, that's my point. These are two totally different cameras. I could understand if you say something like for $1200 I can get a DSLR that I feel would be a better value. However, if you were never planning to buy the camera (or a digital camera) in the first place because you'd rather have a film camera... it makes me wonder why you visit the thread. That is what videogamemaker was getting at.

That said the SWC would be a whole lot of fun, so I understand.

Last edited by jsrockit : 01-17-2011 at 03:46.

Old 01-18-2011   #44
X-100
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
I was thinking something last night about when people complain about the high cost making the camera "not worth it". Why care enough to post about it, unless the camera has struck a "lust-nerve". If it was truly not worth it, wouldn't it be so easy to walk away as to not need discussing it? Caring enough to post in a derogatory manner gives away the individuals desire for the camera, which speaks to the value they've imbued into it.
Yeah. I can't believe all the bad vibes here.

Old 01-18-2011   #45
Arjay
Time Traveller

To some, grapes are sour because they are hanging too high. But its difficult to admit being too small.

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work

Old 01-18-2011   #46
sper
-

How do we know the price will go down in 3 month? The 5D2, X1, D700, M9, aren't any cheaper than when they first came out. This isn't a Power Shot here that's going to be replaced in less than a year. Expect it to be $1200-1000 USD brand new until the replacement.

Old 01-18-2011   #47
bigeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
But see, that's my point. These are two totally different cameras. I could understand if you say something like for $1200 I can get a DSLR that I feel would be a better value. However, if you were never planning to buy the camera (or a digital camera) in the first place because you'd rather have a film camera... it makes me wonder why you visit the thread.
It's entertaining? Having M8 owners believe they need this camera is a great study in the success of social media marketing.

Last edited by bigeye : 01-18-2011 at 04:08.

Old 01-18-2011   #48
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
I'm not buying one but I don't think this price is out of line when one considers that the lens is a 23mm F2. Quick check shows the Sony 24/2 goes for $1200. Good primes this wide and this fast are always pricey. As was the case with the fixed lens RFs from yesteryear that put nicely spec'd glass on their FLRF offerings - "the lens is worth the cost alone..." That was always the deal with fixed lens rangefinders, traditionally... Great glass at a price that beat the pants off similarly spec'd interchangeable lens cameras - be it rangefinder or SLR.

So, please remind these knuckleheads who are balking at the price that such spec'd primes are rare to begin with, and using the Sony "SAL" as an example go for about the same cost as the X100 - camera and body...

Sony SAL-24F20Z 24mm f/2.0 A-mount Wide Angle Lens by Sony
Buy new: $1,249.00
AMAZON
Couldn't agree more!

I'm not seeing how people could be stinging the price - I was expecting 1600-1800 at least. It's got a fantastic fast lens, it's made of metal, it has a real optical viewfinder supplemented by a new technology electronic viewfinder, and it has manual controls and style which probably means it's a niche product.

1200us is extremely reasonable!!

Old 01-18-2011   #49
whitecat
Lone Range(find)er

I think ant decent point and shoot should have a flash.

Zeiss Ikon Zm, Olympus Trip, Rolleiflex FX, Yashica Electro 35, Nikon 35 TI, Nikon 28 TI, Widelux F7, Contax TVS III, Zeiss Ikon 35, Minox, Olympus 35 EE3, Konica AA 35, Minox 35 GT, Canonet QL17, and many more....

Old 01-18-2011   #50
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
I think ant decent point and shoot should have a flash.
Which is, indeed, a powerful argument for the X100 NOT having one. Historically, 'serious' cameras don't have built-in flashes, and X100 wants to postion itself as a 'serious' camera.

If I didn't already use an M9, I'd consider the X100 very seriously indeed, as being the nearest digicam I've ever seen to the 1936 Leica IIIa I bought in 1969.

Even so, I'd want to be confident that it was reasonably close to my IIIa, e.g. no autofocus problems, and no unforeseen problems with the double viewfinder.

Cheers,

R.

Old 01-18-2011   #51
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Which is, indeed, a powerful argument for the X100 NOT having one. Historically, 'serious' cameras don't have built-in flashes, and X100 wants to postion itself as a 'serious' camera.

If I didn't already use an M9, I'd consider the X100 very seriously indeed, as being the nearest digicam I've ever seen to the 1936 Leica IIIa I bought in 1969.

Even so, I'd want to be confident that it was reasonably close to my IIIa, e.g. no autofocus problems, and no unforeseen problems with the double viewfinder.

Cheers,

R.
Some cameras are able to use flash purely as a focus assist, but are able to be set not to fire for the actual exposure. A very convenient feature. (I know the canon 40D was able to do that). If this feature is included in the X100, it could be very nice indeed, in situations where a pre flash wouldn't be distracting or inappropriate.

At today's technology, it probably cost an extra 50 cents to include, and it doesn't make it any larger. It's kind of a "why not" feature at this point. I won't use it, but I don't count it against Fuji for including it.

Old 01-18-2011   #52
Brian Sweeney

Personally, I think the X-100 is following the lead of the Leica X1, and added the hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder. The X1 has a built-in flash, so the X-100 has a built in flash.

Personally, I would have preferred to see a clip-on flash such as that used on the Contax T.

I wonder how long it until the Leica X2 comes out.

Old 01-18-2011   #53
Paul T.

A couple of online retailers have the UK price at £1,020. Good encouragement to keep on paying for b/w processing for the Hexar, for another six months or so.

Old 01-18-2011   #54
Sparrow

... or the X-101, the camera that knows ones deepest fear

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 01-18-2011   #55
Brian Sweeney

That would make it the X-101 Voodoo.

Old 01-18-2011   #56
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Sweeney View Post
That would make it the X-101 Voodoo.
Finally a camera that really does steal one's soul. But is it the subject or the photographer's that's stolen?

Old 01-18-2011   #57
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
Some cameras are able to use flash purely as a focus assist, but are able to be set not to fire for the actual exposure. A very convenient feature. (I know the canon 40D was able to do that). If this feature is included in the X100, it could be very nice indeed, in situations where a pre flash wouldn't be distracting or inappropriate.

At today's technology, it probably cost an extra 50 cents to include, and it doesn't make it any larger. It's kind of a "why not" feature at this point. I won't use it, but I don't count it against Fuji for including it.
Sure, I was just looking at it from a marketing viewpoint. I'd hope, though, that it could be disabled permanently as a menu option, not each time you turn the camera on (as was regrettably the case with many otherwise excellent film compacts). There are really very few situations in which I want a flash going off and saying, "Hey, look, folks, I'm taking pictures." Generally, for me, any flash, pre- or otherwise, is distracting or inappropriate.

Cheers,

R.

Old 01-18-2011   #58
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeye View Post
It's entertaining? Having M8 owners believe they need this camera is a great study in the success of social media marketing.
Huh? why? that's so silly to say. Perhaps I am sick of manual (zone) focus and don't feel the need to blow loads of money on incremently better Leica lenses.

I understand this camera isn't for everyone, but for people like me who like AF, like small cameras, and prefer to use a 35mm equiv 99% of the time, it appears to be perfect.

Even sillier than being "tricked" by social media marketing is hanging out in a thread about a camera that you don't like...

Old 01-18-2011   #59
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Sure, I was just looking at it from a marketing viewpoint. I'd hope, though, that it could be disabled permanently as a menu option, not each time you turn the camera on (as was regrettably the case with many otherwise excellent film compacts). There are really very few situations in which I want a flash going off and saying, "Hey, look, folks, I'm taking pictures." Generally, for me, any flash, pre- or otherwise, is distracting or inappropriate.

Cheers,

R.
They have specified the camera remembers all user settings after being turned off and on again. I am hoping the flash doesn't even try to come on unless you have it in a full auto mode (again, this is how the 40D worked). My guess is that it will need manually enabling for sure, except possibly with both dials in the Auto setting (shutter and aperture) but even then it might need to be turned on manually.

Old 01-18-2011   #60
tokek

Jock you better hope that the wind doesn't blow in a new direction later in the year ........... X1. pana, ricoh, m8. x100 maybe the Nikon sm150

Old 01-18-2011   #61
Snapper_uk

So, is the X100 the digital camera that it's ok for film users to like?

What would be nice, is an X100 that took film. A metal compact 35mm body, retro styling, quality f/2 lens.... Bessa X-100 anyone?

Last edited by Snapper_uk : 01-18-2011 at 04:53.

Old 01-18-2011   #62
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_uk View Post
What would be nice, is an X100 that took film. A metal compact 35mm body, retro styling, quality f/2 lens.... Bessa X-100 anyone?
If 35mm lens isn't main factor, there are many compact metal sub-f2 film cameras. There's even Yashica 35CC with 1.8/35 lens which is on expensive side of market of fixed lens rangefinders but I still consider it not expensive compared to hyphotetical film X100.
Better they work on this direction so we have fallback plan in case film becomes rare. I mean, rare.

Old 01-18-2011   #63
bigeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Even sillier than being "tricked" by social media marketing is hanging out in a thread about a camera that you don't like...
Where have I said that I didn't like it? It's fine - a digital Hexar AF. Got it.

But, don't you think the number of threads and pages on such a modest camera is OCD? Someone might need an intervention. I'm here to help.

Last edited by bigeye : 01-18-2011 at 06:53.

Old 01-18-2011   #64
Snapper_uk

I'm talking about having a new compact. I have a Olympus 35RD, but Aperture Priority would be nice and a meter that actually gave accurate readings....

Old 01-18-2011   #65
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokek View Post
Jock you better hope that the wind doesn't blow in a new direction later in the year ........... X1. pana, ricoh, m8. x100 maybe the Nikon sm150
I still use them all the time...so, what's the issue Stunod? I know you also use multiple cameras...

Old 01-18-2011   #66
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_uk View Post
I'm talking about having a new compact. I have a Olympus 35RD, but Aperture Priority would be nice and a meter that actually gave accurate readings....
New? New film camera? Why on Earth one would need that? Film is here for fun, so are nice old cameras. Plenty of both now are available. Cameras are cheap. That's why people this days buy them. Make them cost like they did when new (proportionally to income) and good half of "film lovers" would turn off not even thinking how film costs. Low prices (compared to original) and fun is what moves film gear market, I think.

Aperture priority - that's not Olympus. Yashica is the name. One of various Yashica Electro cameras, be it scale focus, RF or SLR.

Old 01-18-2011   #67
Archlich

I keep hear people stating that the X100 utilizes the D90 sensor, "the two-year-old one that's being phased out".

Anyone knows where does this statement originate? Is it confirmed by Fuji or just pure speculation based on pixel counts? Thx.

Old 01-18-2011   #68
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
I keep hear people stating that the X100 utilizes the D90 sensor, "the two-year-old one that's being phased out".

Anyone knows where does this statement originate? Is it confirmed by Fuji or just pure speculation based on pixel counts? Thx.
The latter.

Old 01-18-2011   #69
Brian Sweeney

Sensors undergo many design tweeks throughout their production runs. They get "rev'd". I doubt that Fuji is using the "same" sensor as anything did two years ago.

Old 01-18-2011   #70
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Sensors undergo many design tweeks throughout their production runs. They get "rev'd". I doubt that Fuji is using the "same" sensor as anything did two years ago.
I still didn't get my earlier question answered. How does it become known that cameras share a sensor? Like the D7000 and Pentax k-5, or the A900 and D3x? It's fairly well known as "fact" that they share sensors, but was it a press release? guess? mentioned by a designer at some point?

Old 01-18-2011   #71
migtex
Don't eXchange Freedom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post

It's not Nikon, it's Fuji made with "EXR" technology (better dynamic range).

http://www.fujifilm.com/photokina201...pix_x100_e.pdf

and yes, I'm saving...

It's gonna be fun how many X100's will show up on the Euro RFF meeting in London by May..... hmm may be none.. ;-)
Camera FUN? <click>

Old 01-18-2011   #72
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by migtex View Post
It's not Nikon, it's Fuji made with "EXR" technology (better dynamic range).

http://www.fujifilm.com/photokina201...pix_x100_e.pdf

and yes, I'm saving...

It's gonna be fun how many X100's will show up on the Euro RFF meeting in London by May..... hmm may be none.. ;-)
The d90 isn't nikon either, it's from Sony.

That said, this line makes me think it's brand new:
* The FinePix X100 features a custom CMOS high-performance sensor, internally optimized and developed exclusively for this model.

The first part about it being optimized could apply to a sony-sourced sensor, but the second part implies it's not shared in any other camera, regardless of manufacturer origin. (the optimized part implies they did it, but the second part is more open ended to still applying to a 3rd party sensor manufacturer)

Old 01-18-2011   #73
eddie1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
that's canadian dollars not US (though for all intensive purposes they should be the same, but somehow things are frequently nmore expensive here
Fuji - XE1 ir, XE3, XT1, Xpro1, Xpro2, X100t 18 2.0, 23 1.4, 35 1.4, 56 1.2, 60 2.4, a bunch of assorted godox flashes and controllers, several old Takumars, Rokinon 12mm f2. GW690 and Yashica t4 super for film fun

Old 01-18-2011   #74
Brian Sweeney

Sensors, like most components, have a manufacturer's model number associated with them. The Kodak DCS-200 used a Kodak KAF-1600. The KAF-1601, KAF-1602, KAF-1603e are all pin-compatible but substantially improved designs. Blue range was extended by adding "tin" (I seem to remember). The Leica M8 uses a Kodak KAF-10500. Some reviewers will state which sensor was used with a particular camera. I have not followed the X-100 close enough to know which CCD was used, but- it certainly has a model number with rev level.

My Nikon DSLR has a Fuji sensor in it.

Old 01-18-2011   #75
nightfly

Really does depend on how the sensor renders light for me. I'd be looking for the 5D look with subtle tonal gradations but am not expecting it from an APS-C sized sensor, not sure if it's possible. This is the biggest stumbling block in going to a camera like this. Seems like they did their homework on everything else down to the internal ND filter for shooting it at wider apertures to get a narrower depth of field.

Old 01-18-2011   #76
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Sensors, like most components, have a manufacturer's model number associated with them. The Kodak DCS-200 used a Kodak KAF-1600. The KAF-1601, KAF-1602, KAF-1603e are all pin-compatible but substantially improved designs. Blue range was extended by adding "tin" (I seem to remember). The Leica M8 uses a Kodak KAF-10500. Some reviewers will state which sensor was used with a particular camera. I have not followed the X-100 close enough to know which CCD was used, but- it certainly has a model number with rev level.

My Nikon DSLR has a Fuji sensor in it.
Is this something where it has to be opened up to see the model number and revision? or something that is visible in firmware?

Old 01-18-2011   #77
tapesonthefloor

Quote:
As has been discussed elsewhere, Fuji has implemented a flash "commander" mode on the X100, meaning the small on-body flash can be used to control studio lighting without any adapters, any wires, or any additional cost. While I'm sure the ex-hundred's flash is perfectly serviceable for fill in typical p&s settings, they must have considered the great utility of the former use when deciding to include an on-body flash. That, in itself, might be considered a powerful argument that they're aiming this camera at "serious" photographers, rather than the contrary.

Old 01-18-2011   #78
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapesonthefloor View Post
As has been discussed elsewhere, Fuji has implemented a flash "commander" mode on the X100, meaning the small on-body flash can be used to control studio lighting without any adapters, any wires, or any additional cost. While I'm sure the ex-hundred's flash is perfectly serviceable for fill in typical p&s settings, they must have considered the great utility of the former use when deciding to include an on-body flash. That, in itself, might be considered a powerful argument that they're aiming this camera at "serious" photographers, rather than the contrary.
Indeed, a good point -- though I'd still prefer a sync cable. Or maybe an IR filter on the on-camera flash. You don't always want even a weak flash from the camera position. And, I can't help feeling, not many would choose the X100 as a studio camera.

Cheers,

R.

Old 01-18-2011   #79
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Indeed, a good point -- though I'd still prefer a sync cable. Or maybe an IR filter on the on-camera flash. You don't always want even a weak flash from the camera position. And, I can't help feeling, not many would choose the X100 as a studio camera.

Cheers,

R.
There is a whole new generation using flash's on the go. Mayhaps you've heard of "the strobist"?

Old 01-21-2011   #80
Quash

Looks like Adorama and B&H pulled the pre-order, as reported by x100rumors.com. Still available at Henry's and Vistek in Canada for $1200. They ship to US, so let's see if they get pulled.