Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Old 01-25-2011   #41
GSNfan
-

This is a nice camera but wake me up when there is a digital camera with a 32 bit b&w sensor.

Old 01-25-2011   #42
totifoto

My only concern now is the RAW button. Why do they have it there? Im afraid I would be pressing it accidentally all the time.

Old 01-25-2011   #43
Paul T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
dpreview where's the images?
More than that - where's the first impression of focusing speed? I could understand why it's too early to post images, but it seems pointless doing a preview without some analysis of how well, and how quickly, it focuses.

IN any case, their enthusiasm is promising, it means mroe dealers should order the camera, and more rival manufacturers will take notice.

The fact the camera seems to he heading over the 1,000 mark means I'll have to hold off until the summer at least, but I"d like to see lots of X100 on the move, and a price reduction in July or August...

Old 01-25-2011   #44
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by totifoto View Post
My only concern now is the RAW button. Why do they have it there? Im afraid I would be pressing it accidentally all the time.
It's to turn on/off the capture of Raw images, or if you are shooting in Raw only, for an in camera conversion of a raw into a jpeg using the jpeg engine of the camera.

Useful in times when you are without a computer with Lightroom/silkypix/photoshop but you want to share/print/upload a jpeg of a shot you took.

Old 01-25-2011   #45
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T. View Post
More than that - where's the first impression of focusing speed? I could understand why it's too early to post images, but it seems pointless doing a preview without some analysis of how well, and how quickly, it focuses.

IN any case, their enthusiasm is promising, it means mroe dealers should order the camera, and more rival manufacturers will take notice.

The fact the camera seems to he heading over the 1,000 mark means I'll have to hold off until the summer at least, but I"d like to see lots of X100 on the move, and a price reduction in July or August...
Yeah, it's sad that neither Dpreview or the norwegian site made mention of AF speed.

Old 01-25-2011   #46
kevin m

Quote:
How the other manufacturers could have ignored this market segment for so long is baffling, isn't it?
It is baffling. Since many of us end up welding a 35-ish lens on our RF's anyway, a digital Canonet at a Canonet-like price is what we've been looking for.

Old 01-25-2011   #47
gavinlg

dpreview never post anything further than body impressions and feel/fit on their previews. The meat of the experience always comes in the full review.

Old 01-25-2011   #48
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin m View Post
It is baffling. Since many of us end up welding a 35-ish lens on our RF's anyway, a digital Canonet at a Canonet-like price is what we've been looking for.
Not baffling at all... rangefinder users are a niche group. Most large companies are not looking to cater to niches.

Old 01-25-2011   #49
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Translated from the Norwegian article: In the whole, however, worked both metering and autofocus fine, even in low light.

Highly speculative, but don't you think if it was sluggish they might have mentioned that? I know we can't really glean speed off of this, but seeing as they criticized other aspects of it, while saying, "but we know this isn't final", they would have said something about slow AF if it was unbearably slow.

That's probably me reading too much into it, but it makes me hopeful for good AF speed.

Old 01-25-2011   #50
Frank Petronio
-

The wouldn't mention slow autofocus on a preview model anyhow, that would not be fair to the manufacturer who hasn't finalized everything yet.

Most likely it should be faster than an X1 ;-)

Old 01-25-2011   #51
bwcolor

The review is pretty much without substance, but their suggestion to include a filter adapter ring with the camera is an excellent one and we should all bombard Fuji with an echo of the same. They need to put the adapter in with the camera.

Old 01-25-2011   #52
sper
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T. View Post

With a 23mm lens focusing speed will not be an issue.

Old 01-25-2011   #53
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
The wouldn't mention slow autofocus on a preview model anyhow, that would not be fair to the manufacturer who hasn't finalized everything yet.

Most likely it should be faster than an X1 ;-)
They mentioned plenty of similar things, unworking buttons, camera freezing up, a dial that didn't connect to any functions.

It's not an endorsement of AF speed, but I think it can be taken as good news.

Old 01-25-2011   #54
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sper View Post
With a 23mm lens focusing speed will not be an issue.
How does that follow? The X1 has a similar lens length (24mm?) and it get's dinged for it's slow AF.

Old 01-25-2011   #55
GSNfan
-

The google translate site works pretty well with the Norwegian translation. just make sure you try one paragraph at a time.

Old 01-25-2011   #56
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
The google translate site works pretty well with the Norwegian translation. just make sure you try one paragraph at a time.
If using Chrome, it pops up the "do you want to translate option" The benefit of not only getting the whole page translated, is when I saved it to disk in case Fuji asks them to take it down later, the page is saved in that translated version (in my case english).

Old 01-25-2011   #57
Frankie
Speaking Frankly

Give dpreview a break.

They were given "an early sample" no doubt with an NDA in place. Often, and as soon as the camera is released, they would have a full reveiw... How do you think they could do it so quickly...if not already having a working/final model but agreed not to publish anything, you know...NDA.

I am gratified to read the built-quality is high, camera solid and handling the way a camera should. [I particularly hate arms-length focusing only via the LCD, menu selection of f-stops, focus and anything normal in a traditional/standard camera.]

I was correct even in speculating [in the mega thread long ago] that the dial left of the VF is for diopter correction, and the dual windows on the right is the optical sensor to turn on/off the EVF when in that mode...just like the EVF in the Oly-pen models.

The only thing new to me spec-wise is the "jog" dial now known to have 3 positions: push-in, left and right. Despite Fuji calls it "convenient command lever" and generally believed it is for flash control; I believe, firmware permitting, several functions could be assigned to that jog control. [I would select a few focal positions for a medium f-stop to do zone-focusing. You know: push-in to activate at medium focal position, left for far, and right for close.]

The removable lens ring exposed a male thread for the adapter ring. I would not be surprised someone would make a female thread lens hood...hopefully rubber. Or might Fuji actually intended to use that for mounting a lens [focal length] converter...a 2X would answer all my wishes.

I say again: "the [x100] is my idea!"...and my money is ready.

Old 01-25-2011   #58
ZeissFan

I don't think you can get much in these previews of pre-production models, aside from general touch and feel and ergonomics.

The camera is incomplete, which is made clear by buttons that don't work. And any photos taken with it probably couldn't be fairly judged, as the programming hasn't been completed.

However, I'm with Frank and I'm not sure that I would plunk down my money for the privilege of being one of Fuji's beta testers. And that's the reality of any radically new electronic product or software.

Hey, remember about six or seven years ago when morons were bidding on the rights to buy Canon's full-frame SLR? Not buying the camera, mind you, but just to get in line to buy it. I think the same thing happened with a console video game at Christmas a couple of years back -- before the big crash slapped people back to reality. But I guess if you have the money, go for it.

Old 01-25-2011   #59
kevin m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Not baffling at all... rangefinder users are a niche group. Most large companies are not looking to cater to niches.
It's not JUST RF users who have been clamoring for years for a smaller alternative to carrying a DSLR - DSLR owners have been asking for one, too, and they're just as obsessed with the search for the 'perfect' compact digital camera, as we are here. I would say that's the one area where DSLR shooters and RF shooters have a LOT in common, actually.

I don't think it's a "niche" if nearly every thoughtful photographer on the planet is looking for one. If Fuji gets this camera right, it's going to be huge. I think a lot of us here who might have been saving for an R-D1 or M8 might opt for this camera instead.

Old 01-25-2011   #60
sper
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
How does that follow? The X1 has a similar lens length (24mm?) and it get's dinged for it's slow AF.
I guess I didn't think about that. I just don't get how lenses with such great depth of field can take so long to focus. Olypmus Pen, and point and shoot cameras come to mind.

Old 01-25-2011   #61
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post

The only thing new to me spec-wise is the "jog" dial now known to have 3 positions: push-in, left and right. Despite Fuji calls it "convenient command lever" and generally believed it is for flash control; I believe, firmware permitting, several functions could be assigned to that jog control. [I would select a few focal positions for a medium f-stop to do zone-focusing. You know: push-in to activate at medium focal position, left for far, and right for close.]
The jog dial is for adjusting the Fn setting, as I've said multiple times. It's very unlikely it will be initially set to adjust zone focusing, and from what's been released so far, I don't think zone focusing presets will be possible with any button combo on the X100.

Please, please stop saying the x100 was your idea. Many people have thought of similar camera designs (including myself), and it's Fuji's designers who came up with this particular implementation. Unless you were contracted to provide the design for this by fuji, could you please stop saying that?

Old 01-25-2011   #62
nightfly

It will be interesting to see if all the interest translates to sales. So far Canon and Nikon haven't jumped into this arena but if the sales look promising, there's not reason why they couldn't. There are rumours of a Nikon "pro mirrorless" camera coming out. As DSLR sales slow down, as I hear they are, the big two are going to be looking to expand into more niche areas that they have been neglecting.

Personally this looks great but I'm not too interested until I see how others like a final production unit with finalized firmware etc. I've bought and sold enough digital cameras to be pretty cautious.

Fuji has certainly done a great job ginning up interest though.

Old 01-25-2011   #63
Frankie
Speaking Frankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeissFan View Post
......However, I'm with Frank and I'm not sure that I would plunk down my money for the privilege of being one of Fuji's beta testers. And that's the reality of any radically new electronic product or software.......
Notice I didn't say I will pre-order...only that "my money is ready". However, I now do not have any deal-breaker in mind.

Funny thing, THE deal breaker for me is a decorative-only lens focusing ring...even if I use AF a lot.

Old 01-25-2011   #64
Frankie
Speaking Frankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
......Please, please stop saying the x100 was your idea. Many people have thought of similar camera designs (including myself), and it's Fuji's designers who came up with this particular implementation. Unless you were contracted to provide the design for this by fuji, could you please stop saying that?
Can you take a joke?

That was what I posted long ago regarding Fuji inviting user "opinion" commonets. Many naysayers say the X100 is not to be believed...asking input after the camera has been shown, as if Fuji needs YOUR input.

I likened it to the brilliant Microsoft TV ad that "Window 7 was my idea"...most people, except those never watch TV know that joke.

Old 01-25-2011   #65
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin m View Post
It's not JUST RF users who have been clamoring for years for a smaller alternative to carrying a DSLR - DSLR owners have been asking for one, too, and they're just as obsessed with the search for the 'perfect' compact digital camera, as we are here. I would say that's the one area where DSLR shooters and RF shooters have a LOT in common, actually.

I don't think it's a "niche" if nearly every thoughtful photographer on the planet is looking for one. If Fuji gets this camera right, it's going to be huge. I think a lot of us here who might have been saving for an R-D1 or M8 might opt for this camera instead.
Time will tell. I don't think the X100 will be as ubiquitous as most think it will.

Realize that the majority of DSLR owners are novice amateurs (not serious photographers) who buy only one camera with kit lens, not camera geeks who buy multiple cameras.

Many people will think it is too expensive in comparison to other models.

R-D1 and M8 users are a very miniscule niche for sure.

Seriously, the VF is what does it for many people on here. Realize that most consumers don't even know the difference. Without consumers, it'll be a niche camera regardless of how many serious photographers buy one.

Last edited by jsrockit : 01-25-2011 at 08:31.

Old 01-25-2011   #66
jsrockit

The Norwegian guy answered questions here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=37552213

(I can't wait to hear the reactions to this)

Old 01-25-2011   #67
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I saw those when someone posted the link earlier and they look very good. I'm still surpised that dpreview have nothing image wise to go with their review though! It makes their effort nothing more than leaflet talk IMO.
The site is Norwegian, a language Im familiar with

They are in fact a bit surprised themselves, they are not normally allowed to post IQ revealing pictures when reviewing a pre-production camera. They are impressed with the IQ, considering it not being a production model. They conclude that Fuji will have to do something pretty drastic (i.e. muck it up) for this not to qualify as a groundbreaking camera when it comes on to the market.

EDIT: Forgot to say, the pictures are legit. They are taken in and around Oslo.

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtlnder Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix | Smena Symbol | Lomo'Instax
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Last edited by Ezzie : 01-25-2011 at 08:44.

Old 01-25-2011   #68
nightfly

I have a hunch that a lot of DSLR owners buy them BECAUSE they are big and look "professional". Small cameras seem unmasculine or something. Also a lot people need or think they need huge zooms. Walk around one day and count how many DSLRs you see with prime lenses on them.

It is a niche market for sure but perhaps the DSLR market is so saturated that the big guys are going to have to look to niche markets to keep growing.

I saw some stat recently that the m4/3 market is about 5% in the US but about 40% in Japan. So maybe Fuji is really aiming at their home market and those of us in the rest of the world, the US in particular, are just unintended beneficiaries.

Old 01-25-2011   #69
ALN
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdigital View Post
Making pre-orders... haha
Hmmmm. Or deleteing some of their old posts?

Seriously though, if this camera is not someone`s cup of tea, it may appeal
to others (like me). So why waste your own time peeing on others`
enthusiasm? If you do not like something, just do not buy it.
Choice is good.

Regards,
Al

Old 01-25-2011   #70
wjlapier

Quote:

"hueur wrote:
Thank you.
And what about AF speed ?
Kinda slow, to be honest, and not at all the responsiveness I'm hoping for in the final version, but I think this is one area where much will be done to improve performance towards launch."

Not what I wanted to hear, but i'm not looking for blazingly fast AF like in my D700. The way the camera feels is good to hear.

Old 01-25-2011   #71
Frankie
Speaking Frankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALN View Post
......Seriously though, if this camera is not someone`s cup of tea, it may appeal to others (like me). So why waste your own time peeing on others`enthusiasm? If you do not like something, just do not buy it.
Choice is good.......
Hear, hear...

Old 01-25-2011   #72
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
I saw some stat recently that the m4/3 market is about 5% in the US but about 40% in Japan. So maybe Fuji is really aiming at their home market and those of us in the rest of the world, the US in particular, are just unintended beneficiaries.
No doubt about it. One look at Tokyo Camera Style lets you know Japan is an entirely different market.

Old 01-25-2011   #73
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Awww, he said the AF was "kind of slow, to be honest". Hopefully it does improve by launch.

Old 01-25-2011   #74
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:

Interesting to read. I cannot believe how whiny the dpreview forum is. Makes me appreciate RFF.

Old 01-25-2011   #75
divewizard
perspicaz

This is not really a rangefinder. It is an autofocus point-and-shoot with a fancy viewfinder and some manual controls.

One of the reasons to still shoot manual focus cameras is the complete control over the focus position that you do not get with autofocus, especially in low light situations.

Until we know how well this camera works in low light, I personally would not part with my money for it.

The last digital camera I bought was a Fuji W1 3D. I have been very disappointed with the W1. The focus on the two sides does not match. I had to send the first one back it was so bad it was not even usable stopped down. The camera has some nice feature including the display, but they do not make up for the piss poor performance.

I truly like my Fuji 6X9s, but I am in no rush to buy the X100. I will wait and see if you early adopters are happy or think you wasted your money.

Chris Grossman
diver.net
GoberianBlue.com

Old 01-25-2011   #76
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by divewizard View Post
It is an autofocus point-and-shoot with a fancy viewfinder and some manual controls.
That would mean any DSLR is a point and shoot right?

Old 01-25-2011   #77
divewizard
perspicaz

Quote:
That would mean any DSLR is a point and shoot right?
No they have focus screens and do not use the ccd for fast focusing. I was thinking more like my Olympus 5060. The Olympus 5060 is a very nice camera, but very slow.

Chris Grossman
diver.net
GoberianBlue.com

Last edited by divewizard : 01-25-2011 at 09:44.

Old 01-25-2011   #78
Frank Petronio
-

My only concern is how to save up for the 21mm and 50mm versions.

Old 01-25-2011   #79
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

I don't know what a proper definition of a rangefinder camera is.. and who cares, really.
However, the Fuji does have manual focusing, using a ring around the lens (how retro!). So... is this any less a rangefinder than, say, the Contax G cameras?

The Fuji: optical or electronic viewfinder; lots of room around the framelines for us eyeglass wearers; auto or manual focus; quiet shutter; adjustable ISO and whitebalance on the fly; a fast enough 35mm lens; and a body shape of classic proportions. Assuming image quality proves to be excellent for 8x10 prints... PERFECT for me. Thanks Fuji!

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 01-25-2011   #80
sper
-

The Fuji Guy's twitter says the Norwegian review was unauthorized....uh oohhh.