Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Has anyone pre-ordered the x100?
Old 01-24-2011   #1
anaanda

Has anyone pre-ordered the x100?

Has anyone pre-ordered the X100? I just did at Adorama. I fiqure if I dont like I can always sell as there most likely will be a limited supply..

All my work is now on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 01-24-2011   #2
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

What were you quoted as a price? I suspect that they had to pull that from the site because it violated MAP (or was going up).

Old 01-24-2011   #3
willie_901

I pre-ordered last week at Precision Camera & Video with a deposit. They list no price and the deposit is refundable.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 01-24-2011   #4
lilmsmaggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaanda View Post
Has anyone pre-ordered the X100? I just did at Adorama. I fiqure if I dont like I can always sell as there most likely will be a limited supply..
Prices floating on the web for Adorama are $1200. Probably same price everywhere.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/f...ty-is-yours-fo

Wow.....
Old 01-24-2011   #5
kuzano

Wow.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
Prices floating on the web for Adorama are $1200. Probably same price everywhere.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/f...ty-is-yours-fo
That's a bit less than I expected it to be....

But, it's still just one fixed lens camera for the price of two (2) Olympus E-PL2 kits with 14-42 zoom lens.

Can't see it.

Old 01-24-2011   #6
bruceh

I pre-ordered the X100 from Adorama, and canceled it, after using my D3 with a 35mm lens for a day. It's the wrong focal length for me...

If only it had interchangeable lenses.

Old 01-25-2011   #7
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
I pre-ordered last week at Precision Camera & Video with a deposit. They list no price and the deposit is refundable.
I have a wire-transfer on the way and the moment it clears this is what I'm doing as well. Camera + leather butt-case.

Old 01-25-2011   #8
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
But, it's still just one fixed lens camera for the price of two (2) Olympus E-PL2 kits with 14-42 zoom lens.

Can't see it.
That's because you think the E-PL2 with Zoom is a suitable replacement...

Old 01-25-2011   #9
Brian Sweeney

It's "about" the same price as an EP2 Kit with EVF and 17/2.8. If the EP2 kit were available with the Panasonic 20/1.7 instead, it would be about the same price as the X100 and closer in speed. The APS-C size sensor and new viewfinder offers a choice.

Old 01-25-2011   #10
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Just went the other way. My "new" M3 just came back with a CLA from Youxin Ye. (BTW quick and an excellent job)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 01-25-2011   #11
jsrockit

I wonder who's going to CLA my X100 after a few years...

Old 01-25-2011   #12
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post

Old 01-26-2011   #13
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Well, logically:

1. Camera isn't that great, almost everyone stops using it after a few years, moving on to something better. No reason for CLA
2. Camera becomes cult classic like 5D, and a few niche services rise up to keep them running.

I'd bet american dollars that the 5D I and II are able to be serviced till at least 2020. (assuming society hasn't collapsed before then)

Old 01-26-2011   #14
Sparrow

Yes; but who has spare parts after nine years?

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 01-26-2011   #15
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Yes; but who has spare parts after nine years?
Isn't this easily answered by looking at any old and serviced product ever? You buy up non working models off ebay and craigslist to use for spare parts. You buy up old stock from the original company. You learn how to repair the parts that do break. You find newer parts that fit or can be jury-rigged. etc etc.

Old 01-26-2011   #16
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
Isn't this easily answered by looking at any old and serviced product ever? You buy up non working models off ebay and craigslist to use for spare parts. You buy up old stock from the original company. You learn how to repair the parts that do break. You find newer parts that fit or can be jury-rigged. etc etc.
You think so? ... like they don't with printers or computers or hi-fi or dishwashers or ......

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff

Old 01-26-2011   #17
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
You think so? ... like they don't with printers or computers or hi-fi or dishwashers or ......
Find one of these items that was so popular that it achieves cult status, and you will find people willing to repair them.

That is why I said it would either fade into obscurity and the 2 people welded at the hip to it will just have to deal with no repairs (and there will still be plenty of 2nd hand ones they can buy if they must have a working one) or if it does become a cult hit, it will be possible to get it fixed.

If you find an extremely popular printer from 10 years ago, there is a chinese ink supplier on ebay, for certain.

Old 01-26-2011   #18
Arjay
Time Traveller

The discussion about serviceability is an age-old argument and a big hit among Leica lovers. Long-term parts availability is a special feature of a very small number of brands, and has to be appreciated on its own merits.

Other than that, it is just a normal fact of life that once a product has outlasted its support lifespan, users will be left alone with their products. That's the fate of most of today's high-tech products.

Conclusions:
  • Don't buy if you can't amortise a product within its normal support lifespan.
  • If you want service beyond that time, you're most likely a collector. You need to consider this in your purchase decision, as this rules out 98% of all technologically advanced products.
  • Long service life and cutting-edge technology apparently rule out each other, as design costs will compete with the costs of long service life. For manufacturers, it is difficult to amortise both and still ensure an attractive market price.

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work

Last edited by Arjay : 01-26-2011 at 01:36.

Old 01-26-2011   #19
Sparrow

I suppose that's it, everything is just a consumable these days ... upgrade or right it off over a few years

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff

Old 01-26-2011   #20
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
The discussion about serviceability is an age-old argument and a big hit among Leica lovers. Long-term parts availability is a special feature of a very small number of brands, and has to be appreciated on its own merits.

Other than that, it is just a normal fact of life that once a product has outlasted its support lifespan, users will be left alone with their products. That's the fate of most of today's high-tech products.
It's the fate of yesterday's high-tech products, too. There are Leica products that Leica won't touch because they don't have spare parts anymore - I remember long, long discussions on a German photo forum because this happened to someone with a googled Summaron from the 1950s and his world broke down.

Old 01-26-2011   #21
ray*j*gun

I'm not familiar with this camera (future camera I guess),,,,do the specs line up with the est price? or is the interest based largely on the cosmetics?

Old 01-26-2011   #22
Brian Sweeney

The camera has a 23mm F2 lens, aspheric. APC-C sized sensor. The lens is foxed. The interest here is due to the hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder. It is comparable in price to a mirrorless camera with an F2 lens and high-resolution electronic viewfinder.

I'll probably get one, undecided. "New out of the Gate" cameras such like this usually have birth pains that get sorted out by early adopters. Means sending the cameras back. This be ould be different, but is is largely into territory with the hybrid finder, new lens, new processor, and new sensor. "FIRMWARE" issues account for more than 50% of problems these days, puts hardware glitches into the minority. But this camera is new on both fronts.

Anybody else have an 80386 that was not double-sigma rev'd...

Old 01-26-2011   #23
jsrockit

I was only joking about the CLA. Throw it in the gutter and go buy another...

Old 01-26-2011   #24
sper
-

I'm going to see if there is a kit price on the case, and maybe a hood. But hopefully by the end of March I'll be unboxing it.

Old 01-26-2011   #25
lilmsmaggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay View Post

Conclusions:
  • Don't buy if you can't amortise a product within its normal support lifespan.
  • If you want service beyond that time, you're most likely a collector. You need to consider this in your purchase decision, as this rules out 98% of all technologically advanced products.
  • Long service life and cutting-edge technology apparently rule out each other, as design costs will compete with the costs of long service life. For manufacturers, it is difficult to amortise both and still ensure an attractive market price.
Most likely in Fuji's case and most DSLR's manufacturer's -

it be called Planned obsolescence

Old 01-26-2011   #26
healyzh

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
If you find an extremely popular printer from 10 years ago, there is a chinese ink supplier on ebay, for certain.
My HP 5MP LaserJet is nearly 15 years old, and I've had no problem buying genuine HP toner cartridges for it. It's also easy to get Apple ImageWriter II ribbons, and those printers are about 25 years old (same ribbon is used by DEC LA-75's).

My fflickr photostream

My Zane's Photography website

Old 01-26-2011   #27
healyzh

I'm undecided on the X100, on one hand it looks like a good walk around camera for me, on the other it doesn't look that practical. I want to see some real world performance tests. I'll admit to being anxious to read a review from the British "Black+White Magazine".

My fflickr photostream

My Zane's Photography website

Old 01-26-2011   #28
Frank Petronio
-

I've been saying that I want you guys to Beta test it for me but I got caught up in the mania and made a $100 deposit at Precision Camera too. I've heard good things about the shop and I can avoid sales tax.

I'm looking at my poor obsolete Pany G1/20mm now... wondering how I'll get $300 for it in two months?

My rationalization for ordering it is that the glitches for the newer Nikons haven't been that major and figuring Fuji is probably at least on their level, and hopefully not Canon's!

And otherwise, it seems like it will be ideal camera for me. Not expecting perfection but it seems closer than anything else.

Old 01-26-2011   #29
shashinka-ichiban
写真家 一番

Want to pre-order, but B&H won't let me, and I won't order from Adorama. Ordered three times from them, bad experience all three times. Tried to roder from Penn Camnera here in DC. I didn't even get past the word Fuji before the surly old man replies snarkly, "We don't carry anything Fuji"

Fuji X100
Old 01-26-2011   #30
David Charlwood

Fuji X100

Somebody please tell me why it is a good idea to order a camera that nobody has seen in the flesh, nobody has handled or tried, nobody knows the price, nobody knows if it is even of value? Particularly when in three months from being supplied, it will be obsolete! I am mystified - or am I stupid?

Old 01-27-2011   #31
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charlwood View Post
Somebody please tell me why it is a good idea to order a camera that nobody has seen in the flesh, nobody has handled or tried, nobody knows the price, nobody knows if it is even of value? Particularly when in three months from being supplied, it will be obsolete! I am mystified - or am I stupid?
I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt till your last line. Please tell me how in 3 months any camera is obsolete? I am still making beautiful prints from my 5 year old 5D. It will keep making beautiful prints until it dies. When the 5D II was released, my 5D I didn't stop working.

If this is the format, lens type, and lens resolution someone needs, it will last quite a while. If you don't think enough information is out there to pre order, well don't do it, but several people do feel they have enough info.

Old 01-27-2011   #32
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charlwood View Post
Well, for many of us it represents hope i.e. the camera we've been waiting for. $1200 isn't that bad compared to Leica stuff and I'm of the opinion that Fuji can't F it up so bad that it will just completely suck. That said, I haven't pre-ordered. Fuji isn't Leica ... they will be able to supply a good deal of cameras at launch.

Old 01-27-2011   #33
Snapper_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by healyzh View Post
I'm undecided on the X100, on one hand it looks like a good walk around camera for me, on the other it doesn't look that practical. I want to see some real world performance tests. I'll admit to being anxious to read a review from the British "Black+White Magazine".
Are you sure?!! You'd be better of reading the Fuji product brochure - same thing really.