Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Old 02-01-2011   #81
tapesonthefloor

I love the DOF display. I think between that and the roaming focus point indicator I'll be able to build an intuitive understanding of what is going to be in focus like I never have before with a digital camera. I'm really looking forward to playing with this thing.

Old 02-01-2011   #82
GSNfan
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
Three new tweets, two with images:

fujiguys The Fuji Guys
#Fuji X100 OVF Information overlay explained http://bit.ly/h9Fgbh #photog

fujiguys The Fuji Guys
Similar to #DSLR, #Fuji X100 LCD can be used for shooting information display like this, http://bit.ly/gXQRDR #photog

fujiguys The Fuji Guys
Built-in Raw Converter #Fuji X100: Reflect Shooting Conditions, Push/Pull processing, dynamic range, whitebalance, film sim, WB shift,...

The bit about push/pull processing is kind of cool depending on how it does it. The two images were pretty much what I was imagining, but interesting to see it shown explicitly.
The EVF has a lot of info for display, I just hope there will be an option to remove most of that info because one can see them much better in the back LCD.

I didn't get this push & pull processing, with digital camera you don't push and pull, you increase or decrease whatever value you want to adjust.

Old 02-01-2011   #83
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
The EVF has a lot of info for display, I just hope there will be an option to remove most of that info because one can see them much better in the back LCD.

I didn't get this push & pull processing, with digital camera you don't push and pull, you increase or decrease whatever value you want to adjust.
Every digital camera has a "disp" button that toggles how much and what info is on screen. My only worry is how customizable that is. I normally like a paired down view, but that dof scale looks nice. I hope I don't also have to take the exp comp and other things to get it up.

The push/pull is for developing raw files in camera. This would be for if you took a shot that looked a bit dark on the back, but for whatever reason you want to process it in the camera, you can push the exposure up and record a brighter jpeg.

The only time I could see this useful is if you're without your camera, but standing at a print kiosk that takes memory cards and you want to print, or if you are at a friends house and want to upload a jpeg to facebook or something. Using the included silkypix or lightroom or photoshop would make much more sense.

That said, it's possible shooting deliberately dark, with a push preset and a film emulation might give a quirky look someone likes consistently on their images. Who knows. This is kind of a consumer bullet point item that very few serious photographers will use.

Old 02-01-2011   #84
GSNfan
-

Quote:
Every digital camera has a "disp" button that toggles how much and what info is on screen. My only worry is how customizable that is. I normally like a paired down view, but that dof scale looks nice. I hope I don't also have to take the exp comp and other things to get it up.

The push/pull is for developing raw files in camera. This would be for if you took a shot that looked a bit dark on the back, but for whatever reason you want to process it in the camera, you can push the exposure up and record a brighter jpeg.

The only time I could see this useful is if you're without your camera, but standing at a print kiosk that takes memory cards and you want to print, or if you are at a friends house and want to upload a jpeg to facebook or something. Using the included silkypix or lightroom or photoshop would make much more sense.

That said, it's possible shooting deliberately dark, with a push preset and a film emulation might give a quirky look someone likes consistently on their images. Who knows. This is kind of a consumer bullet point item that very few serious photographers will use.
So push and pull is probably some preset, one of the art filters.

I see the use of EVE mostly for checking quickly if everything is in order just before you enter a scene and start shooting, also for use with close ups, other than that its not going to be useful for quick shooting.

Btw, what is the minimum focus distance for X100?

Old 02-01-2011   #85
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
So push and pull is probably some preset, one of the art filters.

I see the use of EVE mostly for checking quickly if everything is in order just before you enter a scene and start shooting, also for use with close ups, other than that its not going to be useful for quick shooting.

Btw, what is the minimum focus distance for X100?
10cm

Keep in mind the black background image they tweeted is what the LCD is going to look like in a certain shooting mode. Imagine the XXXd line of canon cameras with no 2ndary lcd on the top, this is how you "see" all the settings in a digital format when not shooting with it to your eye, or reviewing an image.

Old 02-01-2011   #86
GSNfan
-

Quote:
10cm

Keep in mind the black background image they tweeted is what the LCD is going to look like in a certain shooting mode. Imagine the XXXd line of canon cameras with no 2ndary lcd on the top, this is how you "see" all the settings in a digital format when not shooting with it to your eye, or reviewing an image.
That 10cm is most probably for the macro mode but also can be used in manual focus, the normal AF minimum focus distance is probably 20 or 30cm.

Anyway, looking forward to first reviews of X100 in a month or so.

Old 02-01-2011   #87
Quash

I assume push/pull is similar to +/- exposure adjustments, similar to my D90. For quick cropping, exposure adjustments and especially white balance adjustments, in-camera adjustment of RAW is handy. Lightroom for anything more complex or for favourite captures. But, even for serious *working* photogs, in-camera processing does have a role. Think: journalists uploading jpegs via ftp on a deadline. I read somewhere about Nikon research which showed pros use these features. Of course, a lot of pros only shoot jpeg, which a lot of amateur RAW shooters will look down on.

On the EV/OV front, i just want a live histogram overlay in the optical viewfinder. If it has that, I don't see why I would use the electronic viewfinder.

Old 02-02-2011   #88
jsrockit

Sad, but true PKR. Though I do feel attachment to my digital cameras, I don't think the attachment will last.

Old 02-09-2011   #89
MPerson

Just had the latest email from the X100 guys:

Full spec now available

The Story - Chapter 4: Exploring new ground in mechanical design

Still on track for release next month though my dealer won't say when.

Old 02-09-2011   #90
ebrandon

I wish you hadn't posted that link to "Chapter 4: Exploring new ground in mechanical design".

It made me feel faint, and my breathing is shallow.

Old 02-09-2011   #91
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Wow ... at times the way they carry on you'd think they'd re-invented the camera.

Their comments about fiiting all this into a retro styled body and the associated problems of doing so certainly wouldn't be lost on Leica who decided to make a digital from a 1950's designed rangefinder!

Old 02-09-2011   #92
_larky

"This system also has the advantage of enabling the user to freely set the preferred direction of rotation (clockwise/counter-clockwise) for focus control."

I love this little snippet of info.

Old 02-10-2011   #93
Arjay
Time Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by _larky View Post
"This system also has the advantage of enabling the user to freely set the preferred direction of rotation (clockwise/counter-clockwise) for focus control."

I love this little snippet of info.
Agreed - that's indeed funny.

But mind you, this probably isn't due to an intelligence-challenged copywriter, but to an underpaid and overly hurried translator (of course, original copy rarely ever meets high literary standards, compounding the translator's task). I presume this site was originally written in Japanese, and subsequently translated.

Part of my job is also translating technical documents. You'd be surprised about the strange written utterances I get to see every day ...

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work

Old 02-10-2011   #94
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
Agreed - that's indeed funny.

But mind you, this probably isn't due to an intelligence-challenged copywriter, but to an underpaid and overly hurried translator (of course, original copy rarely ever meets high literary standards, compounding the translator's task). I presume this site was originally written in Japanese, and subsequently translated.

Part of my job is also translating technical documents. You'd be surprised about the strange written utterances I get to see every day ...
Actually, I appreciate the ability to set that. Years ago I had a Sony F-717 that allowed me to set the rotation direction that I preferred for manual focus. Leica and Olympus OM lenses work one way (counter-clockwise to infinity, from the user viewpoint) while Pentax SLR lenses go the other way - very annoying!

It's nice to see these refinements - clearly they have done a lot of thinking and listening to their customers.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 02-10-2011   #95
cpharris

pretty sure all the olympus/panasonic m43 and sony NEX lenses allow one to select the focus rotation direction.

I'm not so sure about the 'accelerated' focussing - focus changes much faster when the ring is moved quickly (obviously!), but it's not a linear scale. I.e. it's not like a manual lens and thus I find myself overshooting the sweet spot on the m43/NEX lenses if I'm too quick. But I'm sure I can get used to it with practice! Hopefully the X100 implementation is more refined.

Old 02-10-2011   #96
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Wow ... at times the way they carry on you'd think they'd re-invented the camera.

Their comments about fiiting all this into a retro styled body and the associated problems of doing so certainly wouldn't be lost on Leica who decided to make a digital from a 1950's designed rangefinder!
Well in all fairness, the camera is smaller than an M and they did it at 20% of the M9's price...

Old 02-14-2011   #97
Catto
Photographer

Couple of new tweets from the Fujiguys -
- On #Fuji X100, hold down the "AF" button & press the command level (L/R), you can decrease/increase size of AF area

- [Question: Can we set Auto ISO to work when in full manual mode (set aperture & shutter)? If yes, is the EV compensation wheel active? Thx !] Yes, Auto ISO can be customized and will work in all shooting modes.

- [Q: can we perform manual focus via the optical view finder in x-100?] In MF in OVF, when you press the command level down, it zooms in on the square to fill the OVF (OVF is then switched to EVF) to focus

- [Q: If the X100 is fitted with the adapter and a 49mm UV filter will it fit into the leather case?] Leather Case will not fit properly when adapter ring is attached to camera. You can attach both a 49mm filter and lens hood to the adapter ring. Lens hood can't be reversed for storage however.

- [Q: What class of SD card do you recommend for best performance with the #X100?] recommend Class 6 card or higher for #Fuji X100

- In the "T" mode for shutter speed, use the command dial to adjust shutterspeed from 1/2s to 30sec for #Fuji X100

- Lens cap not designed to attach properly with adapter ring or lens hood. For storage a pouch is included for adapter ring/hood.

Fuji X-Photographer / Kage Collective / ACMP Board Member

Old 02-14-2011   #98
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catto View Post
Couple of new tweets from the Fujiguys -
- [Q: can we perform manual focus via the optical view finder in x-100?] In MF in OVF, when you press the command level down, it zooms in on the square to fill the OVF (OVF is then switched to EVF) to focus
Interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing how this works.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 02-14-2011   #99
Sharingan

Camera looks pretty impressive to me. I'm going to wait until mid-march until people get them in their hands before I decide. A camera like this 5 years ago would have been called the end-all be-all.

Old 03-03-2011   #100
Catto
Photographer

Busy day for the Fujiguys today - lots of newish info...

'in AF-S, no MF available. In MF mode, you can use AFL/AEL to set AF and then use MF ring to fine tune focus'
(So back button autofocus in manual focus mode...interesting!)

'AF-S and AF-C mode on #Fuji X100, no Manual focus however in MF mode, AFL/AEL can be use to obtain AF.'
(So no manual override of AF in the other two modes? Hmm...)

'there are no mic input on any #Fuji digital cameras including the X100'
(Microphones yes, external input no.)

'No WA converter for #Fuji x100'
(No surprises there.)

'X100 availability will be end of March, first week of April 2011.'
'Sorry, March 21st is to early for X100 availability in Canada'
'Lucky if late March (how connected are you :-). othewise April 2011'
(Hmm...)

'3:2 and 16:9 are shooting options for #Fuji X100'

'no PDF manual for X100 yet.'

'In Canada, #Fuji X100 lens Hood (includes adapter ring) SRP $99.99 CAD, Adapter Ring only, SRP $49.99, Dealers may sell for less.'

'Manual control on Video for #Fuji X100, At the moment, Semi controls only EV, Whitebalance, Aperture. Shutterspeed/ISO not avail'

'X100 offers Jpeg, Raw, Raw+Jpeg. If set to JPEG, "Raw" button sets the next shot to RAW and then reverts back, vice versa too'
(So don't hit it by mistake!)

'someone asked about using OVF without having a preview afterwards. Answer is yes, turn it off from the setup menu.'

Few little tidbits there.
R!

Last edited by Catto : 03-03-2011 at 11:52.

Old 03-03-2011   #101
_larky

Delivery dates keep slipping...

Old 03-03-2011   #102
Niels

Quote:
Yeah hardly surprising, but had fancied one for a project april 6th

Kind Regards

Old 03-03-2011   #103
jsrockit

Quote:
Not necessarily... what was the release date for Canada in the first place? It's already out in Japan...

Old 03-03-2011   #104
_larky

I believe it was the 7th originally.

Old 03-04-2011   #105
jsrockit

Quote:
I believe it was the 7th originally.
Yeah, you were right...they are slipping.

Old 03-05-2011   #106
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catto View Post
(So back button autofocus in manual focus mode...interesting!)
This is *huge* to me! That's how my DSLRs are set up.

I have a little nest egg saved up for an X100, it's going to be tough holding out for one to become available. (Hopefully they'll do a run in black before the end of the year.)

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 03-06-2011   #107
Catto
Photographer

Thought someone else might find that interesting. Shame you can't manual focus in AF modes, though!
R

Old 03-08-2011   #108
MPerson

Well the dealer with whom I have been on the waiting list since October here in the UK, rang yesterday and said he has had a small supply delivered. Mine is on its way to me today.

Old 03-08-2011   #109
andrew00

Who was the dealer? If you don't feel like posting then can you PM me please - I'm desperate to get one before I go away on Sat!

Old 03-08-2011   #110
MPerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew00 View Post
Who was the dealer? If you don't feel like posting then can you PM me please - I'm desperate to get one before I go away on Sat!
The dealer is only fulfilling orders to those who pre-ordered initially.

Old 03-14-2011   #111
Arjay
Time Traveller

Good news from the Fuji Guys:

Q: @fujiguys - what's the story on the fuji factory, engineers and their families? Any word on their status? Praying for everyone over there.

A: @BSCH all #fuji employees working at the Factory are safe.

I hope that also extends to all other Fuji employees in Japan....

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work

Old 03-18-2011   #112
ochong

@fujiguys - Things just magically appear in inventory... #Fuji X100 for US/CAN/AUS have landed. (10:15 EST)

Old 03-18-2011   #113
Spyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochong View Post
@fujiguys - Things just magically appear in inventory... #Fuji X100 for US/CAN/AUS have landed. (10:15 EST)
I would have thought these were shipped by boat weeks before they earthquake, hence no delay.

The second batch (post earthquake) however will probably be a bit late

Old 03-18-2011   #114
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochong View Post
Wow, though I'm sure it is a very limited supply.

Old 03-18-2011   #115
ochong

FujiGuys indicate that Canada should have some hitting stores next week... hopefully the same is true for the US.

Quote:
Q: @RoryPG - how many units for Canada? When will they hit stores (roughly)? Thx

A: @FujiGuys - next week :-)